Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #1  
PayPay09

S/C/G: 290/275/145

Height: 5'5

Angry What am i Doing wrong? :(

First off im new here so hello to everyone! But im so frustrated ive been counting calories eating about 1200 to 1300 calories a day! ive cut out all liquids other than water and diet green tea and i work out for a hr a day cardio. i have not lost any weight and the other day i actually gained. im soo frustrated i havent given up but im feeling like why should i work this hard if nothing is going to change
PayPay09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey there, and

At your starting weight, it may have been a bit too much, too fast to go to 1200-1300 calories. Some people find they just can't lose at intake that far below their BMR. Any reason you decided to go that low?

Second, how long have you been at the same weight. The scale, unfortunately, fluctuates - new exercise programs, hormones, too much sodium - all can result in water retention, which will show up on the scale, even though you're losing fat. A week or so at the same weight isn't necessarily a troublesome sign.

Third, what sorts of foods are you eating? Some people find that they only lose if they're getting adequate protein/nutrition/etc. Maybe you can give us a sample day so we can see what you're consuming.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

For how long?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #4  
PayPay09

Well i started on Sept 1, so its been about three weeks! im really busy at school so i try to eat things that i can eat on the go! ive been eating oatmeal with soymilk for breakfast, a special k meal bar for lunch, tuna on wheat bread or a salad or something for dinner. i try to get some fruit for a snack somewhere it there if i have time!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

There's no way for anyone to be 100% on the cause of your problem, but here are my thoughts:
1. You're eating too little. At your weight, if I went below 1500, I'd stop losing. I've heard something similar from a number of people, but the number varies depending on who you are.

2. Your body is not used to exercise. It may need time to adjust. Personally, I have noticed my calves can get up to 2 inches larger (in water) when I up my cardio a great deal. I wouldn't blame it all on water and exercise, however. My guess is that your body thinks you might be starving, and is reacting to try to save your life.

Good luck!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm going to guess that you're just not eating enough - your body is saying "I'm starving". Are you faithfully counting those 1200-1300 calories a day, or just estimating?

Were I you, I'd experiment by raising my calories 100 a week until I got to 1500-1600 and see if that helped the situation. I'd also put some effort into getting a real lunch (bars are great, but not every day...real food will help you stay more satisfied and I always lose better when I eat it) and eating more regularly (pack your snacks!).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #7  
PayPay09

ok thanks for the advice! i guess i might be doing the extreme! i do count the calories so its not a estimate i record everything i eat. I guess im going overboard. i told my family i noticed that i lose weight during the weekend when im a little more relaxed about my exercise and food which was weird to me but thats makes since that my body thinks its starving. its just hard because i have one of those parents that thinks that if i dont eat i will lose weight so its kinda programmed in me not to eat to try to lose the weight. but thanks for the advice
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Smile a lil long.. but I hope it helps....

PayPay, I think you are not eating enough calories... this is what happened to me... I started on August 9th at a starting weight of 217.2 pnds., started out just getting meals under control and making sure to eat 3 meals and at least 2 snacks a day.. so I was eating 1,200 - 1,550 and I lost 10 pounds in a month.. so on September 10th I started adding in exercise.. and I was kickin my own butt, but I wa sgettin it done.. first weigh in.. I gained a lil.. next one.. gained some more till I gained back 2 full pounds in like 2 weeks... I was shocked and jsut a litle discouraged.. but after reading the facts and some incredible advice from all my girls here at 3FC.. I realized that now that my body was expending more energy with the exercise, I was probably not eating enough and my body was hanging onto everything.. as t wasn't getting enough fuel so to speak.. so the thought of adding more calories scared me a lil.. what if it didn't work?.. what if I gained even more?... well I bit the bullet so to speak and tried it.. on Monday of this week I increased my calories to 1,600 - 1,900 and this morning after eating that way for 3 days and doing a half hour of Biggest Losers Cardio Max dvd each day, I am down exactly 2 full pounds! So.. in my opinion.. it can't hurt to try it right..?
here is an example of my daily plan and what I have been eating..

Breakfast
1 serving of Instant Oatmeal , maple n brown sugar
30g of whole natural almonds
1/2 cup skim milk
1 Fruit to Go
Total - 445cal.

Mid Morning Snack
1 cup mixed berry green tea
1 All Bran bar
1 100c. pkg. craisins
Total - 230cals.

Snack
1 small container of yogurt
2 clemintines
Total - 115cals.

Lunch
Slimfast Shake with skim milk
1 serving (8) crispy mini rice cakes
Total - 273cals.

Afternoon Snack
1 cup mixed berry green tea
1 serving of garden vegetable breton crackers
1 cheese stick
Total - 170cals.

Supper
1 cup of homemade chicken noodle soup (made with gluten free noodles)
1/2 chicken sandwich
Total - 354cals.

Evening Snack
1 Nature Valley Trail Mix Chewy Granola Bar
1 serving(14g) Sea Salt n Lime Mini Rice Cakes
Total - 210cals.

Total Calories for the day - 1,797

Sorry I knwo this was kinda long.. but I really hope it helps... good luck, and do not forget we are all here to help and listen and support you!! God Bless I know how frustrating it is.. please do not let it defeat you.. fight back!

Last edited by Cape Breton Chick; 09-24-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #9  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

im with everyone else. they *just* convinced me that you can lose weight by eating more, lol. when i started on this site i was plateauing at 1000 cal/day and now im cycling 12-1600 and finally losing again. sometimes you DO need more, even though i thought that was ridiculous when i first heard it. i was at 180 and 5'8" and 1200 wasnt enough for me, so you may need to go up quite a bit. dont be afraid!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #10  
PayPay09

ok thanks for the sample diet im gonna eat more calories and see how that works!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

PayPay--I notice that you are using soy milk with your oatmeal. Are you hypothyroid? If so, in addition to the good advice you have already received, one other thing to consider is that if you are hypothyroid and are taking synthroid or the generic equivalent, soy will negatively interact with your medicine and decrease its effectiveness. I am take synthroid and was drinking soy for awhile. When I tried to figure out why I wasn't losing weight and why I was suddenly losing more hair (a classic hypothyroid symptom), I did some research and found the information about the soy/synthroid connection. Anyway, I just wanted to bring this to your attention in case the soy might be playing a factor.

Good luck!

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #12  
PayPay09

Nope i dont have hypothyroidism that i know of. im tested for it often because i have alot of the symptoms but so far they have found nothing! I drink the soymilk because im lactose intolerent!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

There are literally dozens of ways to tweak a diet and exercise plan. Amounts, quality, time, intensity .... Do a bunch of reading here at 3FC. See what everyone else is up to. Ask questions. We're here to help.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I have a question. You say you have lost no weight in the 3 weeks you have been on a low calorie plan, but according to your side bar you have lost 8 pounds. When did you lose the 8 pounds? What did you eat when that came off? Something was working at one time.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 227.8/226.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Hugs!

I am in the same boat as you and I am eating close to 1700 calories everyday. But I have hypothyroidism and my medicine was recently changed. Doctor won't see me for 6 weeks until the new medication shows in blood work. So, I am stuck too.
But hang in there, hope this too shall pass and we are on way to glory!
niru78 is offline   Reply With Quote