PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #1  
Waiting for summer

S/C/G: 255.5/248.5/190

Height: 5'10

Wink PCOS and gastric bypass

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 weeks ago. I am going to see an endocronologist (SP?) tomorrow. I have been overweight my whole life, but it has gotten really bad this past year. I am 5'10 and 260 (havent been on the scale in awhile). My question is this...would gastric bypass be appropriate for me?
aaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/154("Normal" BMI)

Height: 5'6"

Not that I'm an expert, but I honestly don't think you would be a candidate. My mom was only 5'3" and almost 300# and had to fight to get it. But then again, that was back in 2002 or 2003 & the guidelines may have changed. I would think with you being 5'10" that 255# is not overly obese. Before you decide on surgery, make sure you consider all the risks also. My mom had a leak and what was supposed to be a 2-3 day hospital stay, turned into almost 3 weeks. Have you discussed surgery as a possible option with your PCP???

Good luck at the endocrinologists!
KDM322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I talked to my endo about lap-banding as a solution to weight loss. I've been battling PCOS and weight for over 8 years now. He suggested that I shouldn't do it, for genetic reasons and also that food control is going to be something I need to live with forever. I was on bcps because Met was too strong for me and recently (4 weeks ago) switched to Actos to try and see if it will help, my tests are to be done after 2 weeks.
A friend of mine diagnosed with PCOS as well did a mini bypass in august and has lost around 33lbs up to date but the problems associated with it discouraged me from doing the same or even considering it. She has problems keeping food down, she cannot eat certain types of food and has acid and bowel issues now. To me its just not worth it.

Good luck with whatever choice you make
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote