Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Default Insults to the former you??

Why do people think it is okay to take a jab at your former self? Is it not supposed to hurt your feelings?

Ex: Oh yea you look great in orange now, when you wore it before you were skinny you looked like the great pumpkin. I always wondered what possesed you to wear a bright a** orange shirt!

WTF

Last edited by CakeBatter; 09-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #2  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

UM, if anyone says that to me I will be swinging punches. It is NOT ok to speak to us like that!!! >:C
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBatter View Post
Why do people think it is okay to take a jab at your former self? Is it not supposed to hurt your feelings?

Ex: Oh yea you look great in orange now, when you wore it before you were skinny you looked like the great pumpkin. I always wondered what possesed you to wear a bright a** orange shirt!

WTF
This is simply unbelievably rude. Anyone saying this is either completely stupid or (more likely) trying to make you feel bad about yourself for some reason--because you're skinny now and they're not, because they've gained weight lately, because they see you as competition, etc. For whatever reason they do it, it's not nice. This is one of those times when it's good to have a response ready: "Oh goodness! That's such an inappropriate thing to say--you must be terribly embarassed."

I've never had the oppurtunity to say it, but I kinda want to.
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I would have been very tempted to slap him upside the head, just to hear his dried up little pea brain rattle around in that big empty space.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 113

Height: 5'2

Woah you have no idea. When I visited my gal pal overseas, she told her dinner party group, as introduction, that I used to be the skinny one in school and she, the fat one, and how now things have swapped. In my presence. She did this again, with a separate group of friends. Each time there was horrified silence as she recounts with glee. And the friends would fumble over themselves telling me how I don't look like I have given birth etc. When my hubby visited her, she did the same thing before him and his colleagues! GAH. I had never confronted her about it, but got back by losing all my baby weight and more. I'm back to my pre-preggers weight. Take that, *****!

Last edited by jewelweed; 09-20-2009 at 02:11 PM.
jewelweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedmango View Post
This is simply unbelievably rude. Anyone saying this is either completely stupid or (more likely) trying to make you feel bad about yourself for some reason--because you're skinny now and they're not, because they've gained weight lately, because they see you as competition, etc. For whatever reason they do it, it's not nice. This is one of those times when it's good to have a response ready: "Oh goodness! That's such an inappropriate thing to say--you must be terribly embarassed."

I've never had the oppurtunity to say it, but I kinda want to.

omg, I so need to remember that one!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How about "I'm sure you didn't mean to say that out loud."? And the smile, even if it kills you.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

People are stupid. And rude. And mean. And they should be called out for it so that maybe they'll think before they keep roaming the world saying stupid stuff to other people. I always say something back. For example: "Well, I don't know what possesses you to wear half the ugly stuff you wear, so I guess we had the same problem."
beaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

P.S. Cake... you're lookign rather slim in that profile pic
beaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBatter View Post

WTF
Response: "What on earth possessed YOU to say such a thing! You do know that was still ME in that orange shirt, right?"

People can be so rude. I think they must expect that you are so RELIEVED to not be heavy any more that you will jump on the fat-bashing bandwagon with them, even though it's yourself you would be bashing!

One of my sisters does something similar. She will say (in front of other people), "Well, you're just a big girl." As if that's not supposed to be some kind of slap in the face. She will periodically point out to others (again, in my presence) how I'm so exceedingly tall and how I've always been the tallest woman in the family (not true, but what if it was true?). Then she'll weakly follow up with, "I wish I was tall." Ummmm yeah. Cuz it's fun to tower over most men and not be able to find shoes and pants to fit.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #11  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

I only pray that when this happens to me (I've already gotten inklings of it and I've not lost that much weight yet) that I will have the strength to not end up in jail for my reaction.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #12  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Whoever said that to you needs to sign him/herself up for Tool Academy 3.

People can be so thoughtless. I hate to generalize, but most women can be especially catty when it comes to weight and related issues. Another generalization, but men can be very straightforward and not understand how their statements hurt more than help.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I always think of witty comebacks hours after someone gives me a backhanded compliment/straight out insult. I need to keep these comebacks in my memory so they come out right when I need them!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #13  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'll try and remember nakedmango's great slapdown!

and jewelweed - the best revenge of all!

Mother today: 'Boy, now I see you bending down you really have lost weight of that bihouki of yours' (bihouki being Scots for rear end, generally a big one). Sigh.

Last edited by Rosinante; 09-20-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #14  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

WTH is that all about?! People are so stupid.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #15  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnigummi View Post
People can be so thoughtless. I hate to generalize, but most women can be especially catty when it comes to weight and related issues
^this^

dont let it get to you, if anything i feel embarrassed for the person who said it. what a low blow and pathetic attempt to shatter someone else's self confidence. she must have issues.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote