Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 04:45 PM   #1  

Default Need help -- How many points in a cream puff?

Hi, everyone --

The Wisconsin State Fair starts in a couple of weeks and they are FAMOUS for their cream puffs. I just love their cream puffs and, while as much as I would love to buy a 6-pack of cream puffs to take home, I don't intend to go "overboard" on the cream puffs, but I would like to treat myself to one.

Does anyone have any idea how many points are in a cream puff?

help (please)! and thanks!
Old 07-17-2002, 06:55 PM   #2  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

Michelle, honey, baby....

You are obsessing about these dreamy, creamy creampuffs.

This is what I found...couldn't find any fiber info and be aware that because they can be made with any assortment of fillings, that they will vary on points.

One creampuff with custard filling is 303 calories and 18 grams of fat. (at least that was what my source here on the Internet tells me.)

So...that would be about 8 points.

Here is my suggestion...

Make your own creampuffs:

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs

1. Heat oven to 425 and grease cookie sheet. In a medium saucepan, combine water, and margarine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stir in flour and salt; cook, stirring vigorously until mixture leaves sides of pan in smooth ball. Remove from heat.

2. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating vigorously after each egg until mixture is smooth and glossy. (If using electric mixer, beat for 1 minute after each egg. Do NOT overbeat) Spoon 6 mounds of dough (about 1/4 cup) 3 inches apart on baking sheet.

3. Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven; prick puffs with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Remove from cookie sheet and cool for one hour or until completely cooled.

4. Split puffs and fill as desired.

Nutritional info:

Per Puff: 130 calories 9 grams of fat and 0 fiber. 3 point per puff.

NOW...mix up a box of whatever kind of fat free pudding you want...and fill those babies up. ( or fat free frozen yogurt, or fat free cool whip)

A box of Chocolate Fudge Fat Free pudding has 80 calories per serving, (4 servings per box) For a total of 320 for the whole box.

All six Puffs combined would have 780 calories and 54 grams of fat.

Lets see.....780 calories for the puffs, plus the 320 for the pudding would be 1100 calories and 54 grams of fat divided by 6 comes out to....183 per puff and 9 grams of fat.

FOUR POINTS FOR EACH PUFF COMPLETE WITH PUDDING!!!!!!

Or...8 for the real thing.

Anyway, that's what I know!

Enjoy!
Tiffany
Old 07-17-2002, 07:47 PM   #3  

Tiffany --

Thank you. Thank you so much! I can't thank you enough, both for finding out the points that a "real" cream puff has, and for the yummy alternative recipe! I so appreciate it!!

See the problem is we live about 5 minutes (driving) from the fair grounds, so we'll probably go more than one day. If I can work it into my points, I may treat myself to 1 during the duration of the fair. But I do REALLY appreciate the recipe you gave me.

Thank you.

Also love your quote by the way!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:53 PM   #4  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

You are more than welcome!!!

Enjoy the fair! I am a firm believer that we should not restrict ourselves if we REALLY want something and it sounds like you REALLY want that creampuff, so you should just plan for it and enjoy it!!!

I just had that problem with my Kettle Korn at Silver Dollar City. *droooool*

But the fair isn't every day!

Have fun!
Tiff
Old 07-19-2002, 10:22 AM   #5  

Michelle -

I have good news.....I just ran a classic recipe for cream puffs thru mastercook (it is the recipe I use) and they came out to 2 pts a piece. This is using heavy cream lots of eggs, etc. The trick is that unless the puffs are HUGE, you are not getting a lot of anyone thing. And the recipe for the custard (again the opne I use all the time) The recipe I have makes 30 puffs, and about 2 cups of custard...that actullay makes a little more than you really need..if I remmeber correctly. Just thought I would help out
Old 07-19-2002, 10:26 AM   #6  

P.S - this uses real butter and cream...I feel that if you are going to make something like this, go for the flavor and forget about the fake stuff. I also like to use butter..I ma not a margarine person (except for the spray stuff)

-Nate
Old 07-19-2002, 10:30 AM   #7  

P.S.S - these points are bassed on puffs about 2.5 inches across the base.

-nate (again)
Old 07-19-2002, 10:40 AM   #8  

Thanks, Nate!! Really appreciate it!
Old 07-19-2002, 10:55 AM   #9  

no prob, if ya want the recipe just email me..or look in CookWise by Shirley O. Cohhier (Pate a Choux, and Pastry Cream)

-nate
Old 07-19-2002, 11:04 AM   #10  

Actually, I'd love the recipe! Thanks!
Closed Thread