Exercise! - Walk Away the Pounds??

View Full Version : Walk Away the Pounds??

snowball1
07-16-2002, 02:47 PM
Have any of you heard anything good about or tried the "Walk Away the Pounds" videos? I'm getting into a good walking routine, but want to have something to do for rainy days (or snowy days in the winter). I saw them at a local store recently, & they were pretty reasonable priced (I think around $6-7 per video), but don't want to spend the money if they're not worth it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Freedom&Light
07-16-2002, 04:01 PM
I really like mine. If you already walk a lot, get the 2 mile first, and get some 1 or 2 pound weights. Even doing the 1 mile for me makes me sweaty and a little sore. :) They are really good videos.

Tigerlily
07-18-2002, 05:17 PM
I bought the 3mile..she uses the round ball type weights in it. I just use some small weights I already had. I like it and would recommend it. She tells ya when you reach each half mile, sometimes I stop at 2mile. I saw some of the walkaway videos at the library. Maybe you could sample one from your library first. Good luck!

bensmom
07-19-2002, 06:52 AM
I bought the set (1, 2 and 3 mile tapes plus the weights) at Sam'sClub for $17.99. They are just long enough for me to do while the baby sleeps.

simplystefani
07-19-2002, 11:42 AM
Sorry but I don't think that WATP belongs in this particular forum. Her videos are EXCELLENT. They are fun and lighthearted and they are something you can do in your house especially on those rainy days. I love Leslie! I have all the WATP videos but I use my own weights that I got at Walmart really cheap. I started with 2 lb weights but am now using 3 lbs which makes it a little more challenging for me after doing the videos for sooo long

Stef

MrsJim
07-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Moving this thread from Fitness Scams to the Exercise forum!

I agree it no longer belongs in this forum... :)

Karena
07-24-2002, 09:08 AM
I'm not familiar with these tapes, but I have a question. Everything I have read states that you should not use weights when walking, yet it seems that these tapes do. How's that work?

loser43
08-01-2002, 01:45 PM
I have the new WATP for the Ab's and I like them too (I have the others).I do the 2 mile every day.and now do the 2 mile for the ab's to every once in a while.
Dawn:)

Sherry
08-04-2002, 12:08 AM
I love Leslie's Walk Away the Pounds tapes! I bought the kit that has tape1,2 & 3 and also had the weights with them!

These are GREAT for "too hot days", "too cold days" or "not enough time days!" If I get off my walking routine for a few days, I simple go back to tape #1 again.

Sherry :cb:

Karena
08-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Monique, thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to give the tapes a shot. I like Sherry's idea of doing them when its too hot or too cold to walk outside. I'm hoping I can find them locally.

Charbar
08-06-2002, 10:12 PM
I just won an auction on ebay for the 1 mile and 2 mile.. I can't wait to try them out!!

Dana

AdoAnnie
08-07-2002, 06:31 PM
I have really enjoyed doing the Walk Away Tapes. I have worked my way up to the 3 Mile ones and you definitely get sweaty doing it! I use the round weighted balls. Sure wish that I had the Ab ones, but don't want to spring for the cash right now. If you have tried both do you think the Ab one really works the Abs more than the original? Thanks!

Tootsie
08-10-2002, 07:13 AM
I just saw the new kit with the ab belt on QVC. Their website has it for less than $30.00. I ordered it from there because it is the cheapest that I have seen anywhere. I hope it comes soon!
....... and that I ACTUALLY use it once it comes.
:flow2:

Charbar
08-10-2002, 03:20 PM
I just got my 1 & 2 mile dvd today..
my question is.. I did the 1 mile walk.. how many ww activity points is it?
is it high or moderate activity? and yes, I worked up a sweat!!

I really liked it because it was too complicated.. there are not a lot of steps.

Dana

Amarantha2
08-11-2002, 12:49 AM
Dropping in with a comment that Leslie Sansone's older tapes (made before she became licensed to Goodtimes) are also great fun and you may even like them better, if you can find them. She's been around a long time and made many series of tapes, even two that incorporate jogging intervals. The production values of the older tapes vary, but I've been collecting them for years and I really enjoy them, some for their nostalgic value as well as the exercise. Some of her tapes are for seniors but are enjoyable even if one is not a senior; it's motivating to see older adults enjoying exercise and these are great "walks" for anyone. Another neat thing about Leslie "Walkaerobics" tapes is that they are easy to modify. You can make them more intense just by adding jogging intervals, doing them double time, etc.

BTW, the weighted balls are so light, they likely (IMO) pose no problem moving at the pace used on the WAP videos, but no one should do any kind of exercise routine without getting a doctor's ok. And, if using the balls seems uncomfortable or in any way wrong, IMO, you should just put them down.

Slimdown, I don't do WW but wouldn't you just count Leslie as aerobics or walking and gauge the intensity by how hard you perceive yourself to be working? Dunno.

Happy walking! :)

Charbar
08-11-2002, 05:49 PM
stupid question. but.. what are walking poles?

Amarantha2
08-11-2002, 06:09 PM
There are no stupid questions, Slimdown! :) Walking poles are basically hiking poles that are recently enjoying a revival as a walking accessory. There've been some articles in national mags about this, but it's really been around for years. Basically, you just take two hiking poles along on your walk and kind of use them like cross country skiing. I got some because I'd read they helped people with knee and hip pain to walk more comfortably, as well as burn more calories by carrying the extra weight and using the upper arms. I have knee problems and some other stuff and though I used to run, etc., I had become increasingly less mobile. The walking poles gave me confidence that I would not fall down and hurt myself and did as promised burn more calories (a bit more, I think) and are lots of fun and look cool (or strange, depending on your point of view). I love walking with them and keep a spare pair in the car for ersatz hikes (I travel in rural areas on my job on a daily basis). You can get really good ones from Exerstrider (I think it's exerstrider.com) and Fittrek and some are available at Popular Outdoor Outfitting. The best ones have springs in them to cushion shock for the arm region, but I don't need or use these, just the less expensive ones that are still very nice.

Happy trails! Walking is the best!

bobsgal
08-12-2002, 11:55 AM
I have the Walk Away the Pounds 2 mile tape and I love it. I don't use weights right now since I just bought the tape on Friday, but I still get a great workout. It's easy to follow. I can't wait to work up to the 3 mile tape. I haven't seen the abs tape, but if I find it I think I'll buy it. My abs could use the work.
Steph

chatsey
08-16-2002, 01:14 AM
You may want to check if your Library has any of the video's
so you can try/test before buying your own, I borrowed for
two weeks and was able to keep them another two. After
the four weeks, I was sure I'd both continue and enjoy the
walk aerobics enough to buy my own. I have the one, one and a half, one and a half set; the walk set for over 40's;the walk and fit fat burner; and miracle mileand plan on getting more because she makes it so much fun and it goes so fast for me
now that I've done them for a while. Doing a mile in twelve min's
was so exciting for me because I never really exercised before
WATPs. Hope this helps

SunDrop
09-02-2002, 08:28 PM
Slim down- i didn't know you were WATP too! Jeez, it's getting popular huh?

Well I got my videos 8 days ago and have managed to do a mile or 2 for 6 days straight. I am really enjoying it.

I haven't had an exercise streak in a very long time and even days when my diet has been subpar I have WATP.

And I "think" that my arms look better.
Already? Is that possible?

So now the big Q has anyone gotten the abs contraption and tapes yet?

I'm starting to feel tempted.

SunDrop

SEMO
09-05-2002, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to add my two cents, I have both sets of tapes and I really don't see much difference in using the belt or weights. This is just my opinion but I get just a much of a work out regardless of which I use. I do think both are a great workouts and love the fact that I'm getting strength training and cardio at the same time.

SunDrop
09-06-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks SEMO!

I did the 3 mile wed and I'm planning it for today as well. I have been on the 2 mile and still finding it challenging but I was tired of the same moronic chatter so I popped in the 3 mile and decided I'd quit at 2 miles and do a cool down. But I just kept going, I kept thinking I'll stop as soon as we put the weights down, but then it was cool down time on the tape and I thought wow, I just did the 3 mile with weights. I rock! I was a little sore and tired for a while afterwards, I ate a banana (not on my low carb plan) to pep back up.

I have stuck with this for almost 2 weeks, sadly that's like a record for me.
Tues and Thurs I do Pilates.

Anyway I just had to share my 3 mile story, my DH was very unimpressed I'm afraid. You have to know the tapes to understand my accomplishment.

SunDrop

I gave my 1 mile to my neighbor so I wouldn't be tempted to take it too easy.:lol:

Charbar
09-06-2002, 03:15 PM
3 miles!!! that great Sundrop!!! I am still doing the one mile - but I've now added the weights :strong:

Dana

SunDrop
09-08-2002, 07:21 AM
Thanks Dana. I had my own little party.

Guys, this is totally reshaping my body, I can't believe it. I lost 4 pounds this week, but better than that is that my butt is smaller, I put on a pair of shorts that have fit for quite a while and my Dh walked up and said "your @ss is disappearing honey!" and there was a bunch of excess fabric so yes it is!

HeidiL
09-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Just bought the tapes today. I plan to use the 3 mile tape everynight after I put my 2 year old to bed. I'm in pretty good shape, just need to get off my butt! The pounds are creeping up by doing nothing!

Heidi
165/165/135ish

bobsgal
09-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Ihave the 1, 2 and 3 mile tapes. Right now I do the 2 mile on Mon and Friday, the 1 mile with weights on Tues, Thurs, & Sat, and the 3 mile on Wed. I'm going to keep this routine for a few weeks and then mix it up a little probably by switching out a 1 mile day for the 3 mile.
Steph

HeidiL
09-10-2002, 12:16 AM
The 3 mile tape is not hard to do at all! So easy to follow, I can do it! Yay!

Hope to post the same tomorrow!

Heidi

ras8779
09-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone:)!

It's been a while since I've been on here because I forgot my password. Then the light bulb came on and here I am. Had to drop a line about Leslie's workouts:)!

Dana-Are you the one from Green Bay WI? I grew up in a small little town North of GB in Oconto. Have you heard of it? And how about those Packers? I'm still a big fan and hope my son will play for them in the near future.:)

Sorry for getting carried overboard but when I see someone from Green Bay I get excited. I've been living in CA for 20 years now but I miss WI and someday will move back. Now let's get back to the topic. I have almost ALL of Leslie's workouts so if you all have a question on them ask away. Her older videos are more like the old fashioned aerobics. She even has some jogging in some of them and the workout gear they are wearing is, well, funny:lol:! But I guess the funniest part is that I remember wearing that stuff.:o I really love Leslie's workouts and they are the only thing that I've stuck with. I do at least 1 mile a day and aim for 2 to 3 with one of her 4 miles on the weekends. I've gotten great results and the butt is the first thing to shape up and then the legs. It's a gradual change but I'm liking it especially seeing that it's something I want to do. I also do toning with an Ultra Glide and have been wanting to get the Pilates Performer from QVC. Does anyone own this? If so is it a good machine? I would love to join you all if you don't mind. It will keep me motivated to be surrounded by fellow Leslie walkers:)!

Rose

madtypist
09-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Hi Ladies:

I just got my first 1 mile walking tape and I really like.

I usually ride a bike about 6 miles a day + and it has been really good for losing inches. But now with it getting darker earlier and the weather kinda getting lousy I was wondering if doing the 1 mile per day going to be good enough or should I do it twice.....or what. 1 mile of walking just does'nt seem that much, but at the same time it is a good workout.

Any suggestions would be great... thanks.

Suzanne

DaisyMaisy
09-14-2002, 04:24 PM
I love WATPs!! I do the 2 miles with weights and have done the 3 miles w/o weights. I want to do it a few more times before I add weights. I just love the tapes. I can do it any time of day, any weather outside. And best of all, I can do it!! DM

StarvingPoet
09-26-2002, 05:54 PM
About four weeks ago I bought the Walk Away The Pounds (For The Abs) video set and I LOVE IT!! :) :) I think you'll enjoy it too!

Earthy
10-01-2002, 10:34 AM
I have both the WATP and WATP for the Abs, and love them both. I bought mine from QVC, the weighted balls are not the deflated ones. No plugs like the ones from Sam's Club and Ebay. :df: I understand you can use dumbbells or weight gloves, if you don't like the weighted balls.

:strong:

hezrene
10-03-2002, 03:48 PM
I love, love, love WATP. I've only been doing the videos for about 2 weeks, but I can totally tell the diff. This is the only exercize I've ever been able to stick with!

Earthy
10-03-2002, 11:09 PM
I just love doing those tapes! :)

lakota
10-04-2002, 06:37 PM
i love leslie samsone walk away tapes.. I have all of them. i do not have her weighted balls but have some of my own light weights..we had a problem in our neighborhood with 2 ugly dogs and a really "uncaring owner".. anyone walking in te area would have the dogs come out and lunge at them.. so i bought her tapes and did them right inside with alot of fans blowing..

Earthy
10-05-2002, 05:59 PM
I have the WATP for the Abs, that tube keeps popping off! GRRR Right in the middle of my workout. I got it tight, so I hope it'll stay put!! Anybody else having prob. with theirs?

:(

Earthy
10-05-2002, 06:06 PM
lakota, that's terrible about the dogs..That's what I like about Leslies tape, we can workout in the house. :cp: Do you have any of her 4 miles walking tapes? Are they good? :dancer: I better go do my WATP. I keep putting it off. :rolleyes: Later!

madtypist
10-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Hi Ladies:

I have the 1 mile tape at the moment and I was wondering how many times you use these tapes per day.

Hezrene you say you can see a diff. in two weeks how many miles or mile do you do per day. I don't know how much to do, a mile does not sound like much but the workout is good.

I am looking forward to getting into a regular routine with the tape and I will buy the 2 mile tape next.

It is easy to exercise this way. :)

Suzanne

calil
10-06-2002, 01:18 AM
Hi Everybody,
I just joined and I'm in need of support and motivation with a vengeance! Help me, help me, help me :-)

I have Leslie's WATP tape with the belt and the little ropes you pull, which I can't get around my midsection at this time. (lol)
I paid $12.99 for it from some catalog, it made me sore, the first time I used it, so I knew it would worked.

My sister and I were at our favorite second hand bookstore and there on the shelf were a set of WATP tapes, no belt, the owner sold each tape for 2 bucks a pop. My sister snatched them up along with the woman who has the 2 part breathing video tapes and cassette, minus the tape measure. As far as I'm concerned she made a kill at $8.00 total. I spent $26.00 plus s&h on that breathing tape last year. This might be the way to go if you're trying to save a few bucks starting out, check out your used book stores or the library.

In the meantime I'm starting up on Monday, I need to lose 175 pounds. So I'll be here to read all the wonderful success stories and feed on you guy's motivation. I weighed 135 after my 5th child. I could never get past 118 until after his birth when I was 33. When he was 4 months old I gained weight that was uncontrollable, 110 pounds.

Years later I started to plummet, I lost 62 pounds in 2 1/2 months and found out it was my thyroids. I went from Hypo to Hyper and after treatment I went and stayed Hypo which is where I am today. Since my treatment I have gained another 140 pounds, the crazy thing is when you're Hypothyroid you have no appetite and my metabolism is notta. But I'm here to reclaim my body, last time I looked Halle Berry had it on. At 5'4, this is not pretty. I feel great about my inner spirit, but it fades when I look in the mirror, not a depression, but more of a ---when, how much longer, and why can't I keep the motivation? I've always tried to lose alone, I know I can succeed if I just hang in there, but now I think it's time to ask others to help me, so I can help others.

Thanks for listening, I didn't mean to get into all this, but... :-)

Shelly34
10-06-2002, 04:45 PM
I have the Walk away Abs set and I love it! You can really feel it working in the arms also. They all are great workouts.

Earthy
10-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Why don't we report what tape we completed each day. Start a new thread, Like tomorrow, someone post the date and WATP report in. This will help motivate US to do Leslie's WATP tapes or whatever tape she has. What do you think? :barbell:
Today I did WATP 3 miles. :dance:

calil
10-06-2002, 09:47 PM
Hi Shelly and Earthy,
I'm willing. Tomorrow will be the start of a new beginning for me. Thanks for the invitation !! :strong: