Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #1  
Tanya

S/C/G: 150/130/120

Height: 5'8"

Default Accountability!!!!

UGH!!!

I haven't run for a WEEK!!! I am ashamed, and I thought what better way than to face it than to just fess up here.

I have told yall here before, I am signed up for a 10K, in Sept!!! So, why did I take this week off??? I dunno...but leseeee, here are some of my excuses I have for myself (please feel free to roll your eyes after each one):

1. "I have been running for months, what does is hurt if I skip just today?" OK, maybe that's not too bad. But when "today" turns into "and today, and today, and today".. said consecutively (is that a word?)...well, that's just not good.

2. "I'm sleepy." Best excuse for not getting up in the morning! By noon that day, did you really care how sleepy you were? Did you say to yourself, "Wow, Self, I'm so glad you got your extra 60 minutes of sleep this morning!!"

3. "My heart rate might get too high today." Umm, darling Self, if this is TRULY a concern of yours, then see your damn doctor.

4. "I've got too much to do today!" Yeah, so much that you can't take 45-60 mins out of your ultrasuperbusyimportant day to take care of your body. Oh and in case you didn't get it hat is SARCASM. *****, please.

Last edited by Jasmine; 08-13-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jasmine, not too many of us are having a bump-free journey. You're already putting yourself in the realm of the Serious Losers by signing up for the 10K - I mean really, what percentage of the population would even CONSIDER doing that??? One week shouldn't set you back that much - and if you get right back to business, by next week it will be like you never stopped. But as an ex-jock, I will tell you - do NOT let this slide for more than 10 days. Use the energy that you're generating on being mad for the Power Of Good, and get yer @$$ back on the road. You CAN do this, and you WILL do this!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Jasmine - I think you're being way too hard on yourself. You messed up, you've acknowledged it, and you've moved on. Please, don't berate yourself... you deserve better than that. You need to be your own best cheerleader, not your own best critic... At least, that's my belief.

You're right, you're making excuses. Just catch yourself mid-excuse and stop.

As for #2 - I don't think that one is necessarily an excuse. People do need sleep, and a lot of people don't get enough. That lack of sleep can create all sorts of problems in your day, from being cranky to making bad choices to having difficulty falling asleep the next night.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Often beating yourself up just defeats your progress. MOVE ON and FORWARD.

Love yourself and respect yourself and start tomorrow making the healthiest choices you can for that day.

also I agree with Newleaf---getting proper sleep is important.
cheekiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #5  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

tomorrow is a new day! put last week behind you and determine that tomorrow you'll get it right, and then tomorrow and tomorrow etc. the way I look at it is that every day I stick to my plan it brings me one step closer to my goal. a missed day or week may have me standing still temporarily, but it's still better than going backwards - or giving up completely! I'm soooo impressed that you've signed up for a marathon and will be in your cheering section when you meet that goal!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #6  
Tanya

OK, I got up at 6:00 this morning and ran, and I feel sooooo good now! I was surprised that I was able to pick up where I left off.

Thanks for listening. I'm the kind of person who needs a swift kick in the seat when I get off track, even if I have to do it to myself.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #7  
Tanya

Staying accountable...I went running this morning too! I'm going to see my dad in Texas tomorrow and since I have to get out to the airport I won't have time to run. I packed all my running clothes and Asics so I can continue running while I'm there. I know it's hot in Texas right now, but Dad has an exercise room with a treadmill so no excuses!

Last edited by Jasmine; 08-16-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #8  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

That's great that you can keep up the routine while you're in TX. Have a great trip!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #9  
kathi

way to go! where in tx?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #10  
Tanya

San Antonio, TX

I am keeping it up here. My husband gave me a Garmin 205 for my birthday, and I have really enjoyed using it to run around Dad's neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods. It's very pretty here, and there are tree-lined trails that begin almost out his front door. I've been heading out before dark so I can run before the heat hits. Other than getting extremely thirsty by mile 3, I'm doing well!

I think I may have lost a few more pounds, but Dad doesn't have a scale, so I'll have to wait until I get home to check.

Last edited by Jasmine; 08-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Way to go Jasmine! Sounds like you're back on track. Maybe you just needed a change of scenery?
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #12  
kathi

awesome jasmine, keep it up! I used to live in houston, the heat is wicked. great plan to get out while it's dark, now that's dedication!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #13  

I did my final night of Level 1 on the 30-Day Shred with Jillian Michaels. I've been nervous about moving on to Level 2 based on what I've read on this site. After I worked out tonight, I watched Level 2 and it didn't look as bad as I thought it would be. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #14  
Tanya

That's great! Go for it, SunshineCA! I find that thinking about something for too long just makes me more apprehensive and more afraid. I just have to jump into it and do it.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #15  
kathi

on the topic of accountability, I need to stop ordering in/going out to eat for dinner almost every night! even though I stick to my 50% rule (only eat half of what I order and trash the rest) I think this is really holding me back when it comes to losing weight : (