Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #1  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Question Starvation Mode?

I've been trying to hit about 1200-1400 calories/day, but some days I just don't quite get there. I figure not eating enough one day is no big deal, but how many days in a row of not getting enough calories can your body tolerate in general before going into starvation mode?
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

I think it is highly individual and current weight would have to be taken into account at some point. It maybe just me and my thinking but I would think that a larger person would have a longer "window" so to speak. But according to one of the sites I have visited that references Tom Venuto's zig zag technique but isn't a Tom Venuto site states that the body can go about 5 days before it reaches the new "set point".

I only try to do 1200 for 2 days in a row. Sometimes on the 3rd day I still cannot go back up to 1500 or 1700 so do another 1200 day. And on some of the 1200 days, I am doing well to reach 1000 so I am scrambling after dinner to get those calories in. I try to map everything out the day before or the morning of at the latest to combat this. That way, I know what I am getting for the full day and don't have to worry about it. If I am not as hungry though or super busy, it doesn't always happen.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I've got the same problem alot of days. The calories end up too low because I'm not hungry. I do make an effort to have a higher calorie day once or twice a week though so I hope that works to keep the weight loss from stalling.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #4  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

I have a thread about this in general support... I'm the same way. I rarely hit 1200... Usually only 1000ish, some days less. I just had a rice pudding & having coffee/sugar to get my cals up to 1000 at least... I do find that I tend to naturally "spike" my calories though, so maybe some of that is helping with my weight loss??
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

http://www.healthscience.org/index.p...log&Itemid=267

I just posted the above link in that thread over in Support in regards to "Starvation Mode"
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #6  

Rockinrobin, you rock! I was a little concerned about not getting enough calories most days even though I always eat a variety of veggies, fruits and protein and feel very healthy. And with it being hot outside, some days I just don't feel like eating more. Thanks for sharing that link!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiToo View Post
Rockinrobin, you rock! I was a little concerned about not getting enough calories most days even though I always eat a variety of veggies, fruits and protein and feel very healthy. And with it being hot outside, some days I just don't feel like eating more. Thanks for sharing that link!
Slow down. The validity of starvation mode is one thing, not getting in enough nutrients is another. I certainly wouldn't use that article as an excuse go "too low" on your calories. If for nothing else, it can' set us up for a binge down the road. Which can lead to days and days of being off plan. It's real important to stay satiated. Get in lots of vitamins, minerals, fiber and all that other good stuff that will keep our bodies running smoothly and feeling well. Being thin is not the main objective here. It's being healthy - all around.

Gosh, I envy you gals who have trouble getting in enough calories. I never, ever, ever have a problem with that . I can't imagine not feeling like eating.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think that most people misunderstand the "reality behind the myth." While it is true that your metabolism cannot stop or act in reverse (gaining weight without eating), many people do find that eating too few calories stall their weight loss - they call this "starvation mode," but it actually may be one of several different phenomenon (nonetheless "real").

You eat so few calories, that every so often you go on a raging calorie-bender or "mega-binge." In calculating your "average" daily calories, you "forget" to calculate the calories in the binge days. So you "think" you're eating 1200 calories, but not counting the 10,000 calorie days.

You eat so few calories, or so little nutrition that you're fatigued - fatigued people move less resulting in lower calorie output. The reduction in movement maybe very subtle, and you may not realize it. You may sleep a bit more, or move a little less. Several studies have shown that thinner people "figet" more than heavier people - would you really notice if you didn't shake your leg or fiddle with your hair as much as "normal." These calorie differences can add up.

The reduction in nutrients or calories may effect biological processes to a small, but significant degree - would you know if digestion took a few hours longer or your temperature was a tenth of a degree lower? It's possible that metabolism, while it can't be stopped or reversed, can be slowed down.

There are other theories as well (that you may lose muscle faster on extreme low calorie diets, and since muscle requires more energy to maintain than fat,
your overall energy expenditure per pound could be decreased, and many others).

The phenomenon of stalled weight loss when attempting to eat too little, is a real one for many people, and whether it's caused by unaccounted for binges, or an actual reduction in metabolism perhaps isn't all that important from a practical standpoint (as long as you find the calorie level that allows you to lose at a reasonable rate, and have all the energy you need for daily activities and exercise).

Regardless, there are no charts that can tell you when or if or how severely you personally would be affected. Use trial and error and common sense.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-25-2009 at 11:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #9  

No, I eat 5+ servings of veggies, 2+ servings of fruit, 2+ servings of dairy and an extra protein or two each day. Minimum. And tons of water of course. That's ALOT of food. And a good variety of nutrients. My nutrition is better now than it's ever been. But many days the calorie count isn't as high as I think it should be, especially during hot weather. And it's difficult to force extra food some days when I'm perfectly content and don't want it. The weight's coming off and I feel healthy. But that article helps me not obsess about the calories as much when I'm content with what I've eaten and getting proper nutrition.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #10  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
No, I eat 5+ servings of veggies, 2+ servings of fruit, 2+ servings of dairy and an extra protein or two each day. Minimum. And tons of water of course. That's ALOT of food. And a good variety of nutrients. My nutrition is better now than it's ever been. But many days the calorie count isn't as high as I think it should be, especially during hot weather. And it's difficult to force extra food some days when I'm perfectly content and don't want it. The weight's coming off and I feel healthy. But that article helps me not obsess about the calories as much when I'm content with what I've eaten and getting proper nutrition.

I eat the same but with a couple servings of healthy carbs thrown in and still can't seem to hit my target... Going to check out that link now!
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
But many days the calorie count isn't as high as I think it should be, especially during hot weather. And it's difficult to force extra food some days when I'm perfectly content and don't want it. )
Just curious. How many calories are we talking about here? And for how many days? If you're hitting a low-er number a few days a week, and higher ones the other days of the week, there's really nothing to speak about. Not hitting your calorie target (although I personally can't fathom that) a day or two is nothing at all to be concerned with, provided of course you're eating HIGHLY nutritious foods. Going *too* low (& again, I'm not even sure how many calories your speaking about) day after day after day, week after week, month after month, well then, that is something to consider changing, IMO.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

I'ld also llike to point out that the article is posted by a group who's mission statement includes the use of fasting and so that right there might be some motivation behind them saying if you eat nothing you'll lose weight quickly.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

Did they say that if you eat nothing you will lose weight quickly? Were they actually promoting that?

That aside, there are many, many articles by many, many different sources who basically say the same exact thing about "starvation mode".

Experiments are fine and dandy. Doesn't really say what will hold true for any one person. It's all about finding what works for *you* as an individual.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-26-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Did they say that if you eat nothing you will lose weight quickly? Were they actually promoting that?

That aside, there are many, many articles by many, many different sources who basically say the same exact thing about "starvation mode".

Experiments are fine and dandy. Doesn't really say what will hold true for any one person. It's all about finding what works for *you* as an individual.
"Clearly, they would lose more weight if they stopped eating altogether.

We all know (especially those who are familiar with fasting) that if you were to stop eating completely and just live on pure water, you would start to lose weight almost instantly and would continue to do so. "
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The website does not seem scientifically based, and clearly they have an agenda.

Not saying that their arguments are without merit--but they have nothing to back up their assertions. They use "common sense," which always raises a red flag for me. It's OK for an individual to attempt to use "common sense" to deal with their own situation--but I don't buy it as a reason to believe an assertion.

Here's an alternative way to proceed. First, find out your estimated BMR (basal metabolic rate), even if it's not a totally accurate number. Be sure to use a few different calculators, since there is some variation in how to do the calculation. This will give you something closer to your individual situation than the blanket 1200 calorie limit. For example, for my age, height, gender, and weight, my estimated BMR from several calculators is around 1300. If I were male, my BMR would be about 100 calories higher.

Second, use this as your lower limit. Of course, I am assuming that regular exercise is a part of your plan.

The "daily burn" for maintenance depends on how active you are. If sedentary, you multiply BMR by 1.2. If moderately active (exercise/sports 3-5 times per week), you multiply by 1.55.

Obviously these are generalizations, and the numbers don't fit everyone's experience. You still have to try some numbers and see what works.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote