UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/185/158

Height: 5'10"

Default How often do you weigh in?

I was hoping to get some of you guys opinions. I've only just started trying to lose weight, only I can't decide which is better, do I weigh myself once a week or daily? For that matter, what time of day is more forgiving - I'm guessing first thing in the morning...
Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

1st thing in the morning is when I weigh--naked and after bathroom..and yes, I do it every morning..

how often you weigh is a personal thing and depends on you...I didn't get discouraged when I didn't lose and I started charting so I knew when to expect gains during the month...I like the "control" daily weighing gives me..if I am unexpectedly UP, I know I need to be more diligent, think about my nutrition more carefully, work harder during my activity, etc.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I weigh myself every morning first thing after I go to the bathroom. It helps me stay on top of things. Also I saw something about a study where people dieted and weighed themselves daily, weekly, or not at all. The weekly people lost 6 pounds, the daily group lost 12, and the people who didn't weigh themselves gained 2. So I figure it is better to do daily, as long as you remember that you will fluctuate a little so no one day is a true result.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #4  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

i usually weigh in every morning, after going to the bathroom..i also take my mesurments every monday. i use the same mesuaring tape, the kind that seamstress uses, and mark on it chest, waste(at the belly button), hips, thigh, and arm. muscle weighs more then fat...sometimes i dont lose on the scale but the inches go down.

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/161/149

Height: 5'7"

I only weigh once a week... I have a clinic that I go to. They know to expect me every Friday morning when they open. Occasionally I take a peak at my scale at home but I don't think much about those weigh ins because I prefer to use the same scale every time.
cfb8986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #6  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I weighed myself today for the first time in three weeks. I think I would get too frustrated if I did it everyday.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

I got way too frustrated even weighing every week. I was focused too much on the scale and less on my nutrition and fitness goals. Now I weigh once every 2 weeks, and for me, that is PERFECT. It gives me something to look forward to, yet is far enough apart that in between I can pretty much just focus on doing the best I can, knowing that even if I mess up a bit it'll all even out in the 2 weeks, and even if I mess up I feel okay and can keep it small and move forward. I tried daily weighings and it drove me mad, like I had to watch the consequences of every small mistake, when in the long run it would have balanced out anyway. For me, once every 2 weeks is PERFECT.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I weigh in once a week, every Tuesday, after breakfast, because (TMI coming) if I don't get breakfast, I don't get bathroom. (I'm just eating my banana now, weigh in in about half an hour.....)

I Did weigh daily and it was fine at the start but I found I couldn't cope with the daily fluctuations that are natural to any body. I began to notice (I log digitally) that, whatever the ups and downs, there wasn't a week when I didn't lose something - one week it was only 0.2lbs but so far there's never been a gain or even a break even, taken over the week - so I made the break and went to weekly weighing.

I find it keeps me Very focussed. I haven't gone off plan yet (day #126) and my weightloss has steadied down to about 1.5lbs a week, average.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I have weighed daily on the past and found it helpful to see when my weight fluctuated but in the end I became sale obsessed and weighed about 10 times a day. We don't have scales at the moment so I can only weigh twice a week at most - both of those in the evening so not the best time and I'm obviously going to be a couple of pounds lighter than what the scales are saying. So far I have lost about 2lb most weeks - may not this week after being away for the weekend but at the moment just being able to weigh twice a week is best for me. When I'm lighter I will get new scales that weigh fat as well. First thing in the morning either once a week or once a day is supposed to be best I think.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 106/128/98-106

Height: 5'2

I almost never weigh myself now, when I do im always dissapointed and it nearly always sends me over the edge and into a binge :/

I agree with the others, it should be once a week, on the same day at the same time
marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/185/158

Wow, that's quite a lot a variation between all of you. I have to say I'd be particularly intrigued to read the study that Caro mentioned.

So far I'm leaning towards weighing myself more regularly rather than less, then see how it affects my mood.
Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #12  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

I too do the first thing in the morning, in the nuddy weigh in.

It sets me up for the day, gives me a reminder that most of the loss I see is water loss so I don't get complacent, and just makes me feel as though I can control any blips in a measured way.

I think I'd hate to weigh in just once a week - I'd never know where I was.

The only change I have made recently is that I don't look on Friday or Saturday - then my 6-week challenge weigh in on Sunday morning is a bit more fun!

A whole 72 hours suspense - that's my max, I'm afraid!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

I have found that the daily weigh in, while as everyone has said -is good for keeping you on track - can also make you a bit obsessive.

I am trying really hard at the moment to keep to weekly - it kind of depends on your personality, but I think for long term mental health a weekly or even twice weekly weigh is far better.

But, that's just me.

I often go through phases of daily weighs though, and I am able to not let myself become too discouraged if the scales doen't move in my favour. but I do often find that it will stay the same every day for like 5 days, and then suddenly down 3 or 4 lbs, so, as I say it depends on whether you can cope with every day not losing or even going up a bit, or if you really need to see a visible loss to keep going - if the latter is the case don't hop on every day!!
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #14  

I used to weigh myself daily, but this time around I have one weigh-in a week, same day and time (morning) and it works great for me.
glowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #15  

I feel once per week is better as our bodies do tend to change a lot from day to day - especially if it's the time of the month!

x
EmmaJCC is offline   Reply With Quote