Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #1  
~one cool chickie~

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Height: 5'8"

Default mineral makeup?

Okay so I see all the hype about Raw Minerals on the net and tv....but I also know they have mineral makeup at drugstores like walgreens or cvs....what do you girls think - do you use mineral makeup, and do you think the same quality can be found at drugstores that the RM costs (200 a month I heard)? Very curious about this.

Last edited by honeybear; 04-29-2009 at 10:51 PM.
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #2  

My girlfriend swears by Bare Minerals.I have tried it but dont feel like I get enough coverage.Maybe I just dont apply it correctly.I use good old fashioned liquid foundation and loose powder.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I like the Cover Girl mineral makeup. I felt it was fairly comparable to the Bare Essentials (my sister is a fan and gave me a Bare Essentials makeover).

I'm very prone to skin irritation with makeup though. Even the mineral makeups, although they seem to be less irritating than liquid and cream foundations. So I normally don't use makeup except on special occasions, and then I use the Cover Girl mineral makeup and try not to let it stay on my face for more than 6 hours.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

I've never used the more expensive brands but I'm a big fan of a line I found at Target, Bare Escentuals.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/169/125

Height: 5'7

to me there is no comparison- the good stuff is 110% better once you learn how to apply it.

my all time fave is Laura Geller's- it comes in a compact and it very easy to apply and get great coverage (I have roseaca): http://www.laurageller.com/?gclid=CL...FQzxDAodbk4J-Q

you can buy it at Sephora.
photoRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

I use L'Oreal "Bare Naturale" mineral makeup, purchased at Target. I had the Bare Essentials makeover done at Sephora once and I came away feeling like the Tin Man on the Wizard of Oz...kind of glittery or something. I didn't care for that look at all! But I'm fascinated by it and I always watch when I see that they're on QVC because the models look so pretty and polished with that makeup.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

I have used in the past Bare Minerals and had an allergic reaction to it. My skin is very sensitive and combination. My T-zone is oily and with the makeup I had breakouts under the skin all across my forehead and then my entire face started to itch! I tried another brand, but still no change, so I went back to pressed powder from Clinique, which my skin is now fine with.

I say try the less expensive brands first to make sure you don't have a reaction, it you like it then invest in a higher quality brand.

Just my $.02
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have tried them but just ended up looking powdery. Guess I don't have the knack of putting it on properly. I'll stick to my cream makeup.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I buy my makeup from etsy now days... There are some mineral makeup sellers including some that will send you samples to help find your right color, at a nominal cost.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I think it makes my wrinkles show even more. My skin is dry and creamy makeup seems much better..
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #11  
Workin' It

If you go to Everday Minerals you can order a free sample kit. They let you pick your colors, 5 different items I believe, just charge shipping. It cost me $3 to ship and I got 3 foundations, a cheek color and a concealer. I haven't loved any of the other mineral makeup I've tried, and I've tried a lot of different ones from Target, so this gave me an inexpensive way to try the more expensive stuff.. Haven't used it yet - just got it this week.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I was a BE (Bare Escentuals) user for years...until a few months ago when I tried Smoky Mountain Minerals. First let me tell you, when it comes to make-up, if its out there, I've tried it. I liked BE...but I LOVE SMM!! The huge differences for me between BE & SMM are, SMM contains nothing artificial and because it contains nothing artificial, you do not have to "buff" it on like you do BE. The ingredients are all natural and it does not irritate my skin at all. SMM also contains natural SPF of 15 and higher. Because it contains only natural ingredients, this makeup has no expiration date (BE does). The colors are perfect for my skin, in fact...most people don't even know I'm wearing makeup. I guess you can tell I LOVE this stuff!!
Its available online at http://www.smokymountainminerals.com
Its reasonably priced, lasts for months and best off all....they have FREE shipping!
I can't say enough about this makeup! I tell everyone to try it and everyone that has, tells me they love it as much as I do

*For those who say they can't use mineral makeup due to having dry skin...I apply my moisturizer after my shower, in the meantime, I do my hair and let the moisturizer "sink in"....the minerals go on like silk....and best of all, NO buffing!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-30-2009 at 12:02 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #13  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
I was a BE (Bare Escentuals) user for years...until a few months ago when I tried Smoky Mountain Minerals. First let me tell you, when it comes to make-up, if its out there, I've tried it. I liked BE...but I LOVE SMM!! The huge differences for me between BE & SMM are, SMM contains nothing artificial and because it contains nothing artificial, you do not have to "buff" it on like you do BE. The ingredients are all natural and it does not irritate my skin at all. SMM also contains natural SPF of 15 and higher. Because it contains only natural ingredients, this makeup has no expiration date (BE does). The colors are perfect for my skin, in fact...most people don't even know I'm wearing makeup. I guess you can tell I LOVE this stuff!!
Its available online at http://www.smokymountainminerals.com
Its reasonably priced, lasts for months and best off all....they have FREE shipping!
I can't say enough about this makeup! I tell everyone to try it and everyone that has, tells me they love it as much as I do

*For those who say they can't use mineral makeup due to having dry skin...I apply my moisturizer after my shower, in the meantime, I do my hair and let the moisturizer "sink in"....the minerals go on like silk....and best of all, NO buffing!!!
JerseyGyrl, I went to the website and was amazed at the selection of foundations! Which one in particular is it that you use?

I've tried mineral make up, Bare Escentuals, but I was underwhelmed. Maybe I'm not applying it properly. But I am interested in trying JerseyGyrl's stuff.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #14  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressca View Post
JerseyGyrl, I went to the website and was amazed at the selection of foundations! Which one in particular is it that you use?
I use the Light foundation...I had originally tried the Fair, which turned out to be too light for me...but, the good thing is, I bought a bag of their darkener color corrector, added a few pinches to the Fair foundation, shook it up...and its the same shade as the Light foundation...so, no waste
I also have the Bronzer, Soft Pink Blush, Joy Blush, Multi-tasking Concealer, Illusion Mineral Veil, Be Flawless Veil (Matte), Glow Complexion Booster, and I have their flawless face brush, that I LOVE!
My first order was the 8 piece mineral make-up kit ($22.95)...I think this is a good place to start as it gives you a variety of products to try.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I really like Everyday Minerals. They have good specials, and are always coming out with new stuff to try. They have a huge variety of shades and the free sample kits are great esp. when trying to figure out what shade you are . there is no limit on how many sample kits you get, only stipulation is one per order.Their brushes are some of the best quality i have purchased, and are fairly cheap when compared to BE, or Mac, etc.
The owner of the company is really great, and every time i've had a problem they have fixed it quickly.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote