Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: March 2 - 8

Good morning, lovely maintainers, and welcome to March! It's the month when spring is supposed to come, right? Is anyone being slammed by the snowstorm in the East? It's totally missing Pittsburgh but supposed to hit some cities hard. I don't know about you guys, but I am so over winter!

Work is still sucking up every minute of my waking life but I'll find out today if the end is in sight. The spa's part-time assistant manager is going to decide if she can afford to quit her other job and come onboard full-time. If she does, then we'll split the front desk hours and life will get back to normal. If she doesn't ...

In weight news, I tend to use how my pants fit as my maintenance gauge and as of last week, I've had to put two pairs away because they've gotten too big and baggy to wear to work (the crotch hanging down two inches is never a good look ) So I'm finally back at my ideal size after my knee replacements and it feels good.

How is everyone this morning? Lily, I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #2  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! It snowed here in Atlanta yesterday but it didn't stick around. It's frigid, though! Spring was dangled in front of us and then snatched away!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

It's -15 and wind chills of -29 expected for today - even colder down by the lake where I work. Bright and sunny though !

Ironically I had yesterday put my "Saskatchewan" coat (big puffy down) away for the season I thought. Back upstairs today. We're supposed to have rain!!! by Saturday.

I think this global warming stuff is not a myth, yes? Surprising how some governments still cling to the belief that it's not really happening. Tell 'em to come on up to Canada and spend a couple of days outside with me . That'll convince 'em!

Meg Glad your pants are back to where you want them to be. I'm working on mine - this cold weather gives me some additional "camoflauge" time. I'm wearing 4 layers of clothes today !

Have a great day all!

Dagmar

Last edited by Mudpie; 03-02-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: omission
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up March means Spring

Meg - Congrats on the pants-o-meter NSV; that's the meter I trust even when the scale is bouncing up and down. Spring is beginning here in the Boston area. Convenently ignoring the 14 inches of inadvertant February that fell last night and, in my case, remains to be dealt with after work if nature doesn't simply evaporate it due to my positive attitude, LOL.

WardHog - Spring is just an attitude; just believe!!!!!

Dagmar (Mudpie) - Gotta get me a "Saskatchewan" coat - sounds warm. That and my polyanna attitude might get me thru to spring.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #5  
No description available.

Spring has sprung in the great American southwest. I have a vase of daffodils that DD picked from my yard this weekend. When I ran on Saturday, I ran past some blossoming cherry trees. Ah, spring! Not a moment too soon!

I have 2 kids home sick with the stomach flu today. Bleh. Hope I don't catch it too.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning everyone,

The same cold front that's brought all the snow to other parts of the country have brought a chill (not nearly as cold as for many of you, I know) and WIND to NoFlo. I walked outside yesterday to find my rosemary plant flung 8 feet across my porch. I carted my more delicate plants inside, and those in danger of toppling/flinging inside, but might have to cart the rest in for a freeze tonight. BF helped me frame up boards for raised bed gardens this weekend, and I started some veggie seedlings in seed starter trays (nestled safely inside right now!). Now I just need to cart a few truckloads of topsoil and compost home... When we are out of freeze danger I'll be ready to plant!

Midwife, I love the sight and smell of blossoming cherry trees. What a nice sight it must be! Glad you're enjoying the spring.

Dagmar, Wardhog, brr, stay warm!

Meg, I hope the asst. manager decides to come on board full-time and give you some relief. What a wonderful pants-o-meter victory! Bravo!

Stay warm and have a great day everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

midwife~my daughter goes to Cal State Fullerton. The tuition is tiered, one price for locals (residents within like 50 miles), Californians, and out of staters. Each category pays more than the locals. Besides that, there are two main "prices" each semester--one for up to 12 units and one for over 12 units. It's so much different than when I went to school (University of Utah) where you paid for every unit--although there was a discount if you were from in-state.

I had a good/bad weekend.

It started Friday night with a carb-loading dinner (bad) for my son who was taking his black belt test in Karate the next morning. I took the dog for our usual 2 mile walk/jog (good) on Saturday morning, but wasn't able to jog even half as much as I used to (bad). It is SO MUCH EASIER on the treadmill! My son calls at 10:30 to pick him up from his test (bad). He didn't make it the whole 3 hours and didn't make his black belt (bad) but he's okay with it (after lots of tears) and he'll retest in May (good). DH and I took the dogs on a 3 mile walk Sunday (good) and we went to the local Greek festival for lunch Sunday (good--ran into an old friend) and had a great gyro for lunch (good IMO) and then bought a dozen baklava (bad) but we haven't eaten any (good) so far! We went out to dinner Sunday night for my MIL's "non"-birthday (she's a leap year baby so no real one this year!). I had a very delicious chicken florentine (good on the veggies and chicken, bad on the cheese and mashed potatoes and bad on the wine--but we were celebrating). Anyway, all in all, I gained 2 pounds. I think, though, that a lot of it had to do with a horrible night sleep last night. I couldn't even get up to exercise this morning!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #8  
Meg

Allison, your weekend made my head spin! All in all, I think you did fine and I totally agree that sleeping (or not) has a lot to do with weight loss and gain. Here's to a better night's sleep tonight.

Midwife, stay healthy! Don't you know that moms can't get sick? DD played softball in your sunshine yesterday and even got sunburned. I told her it's 13 degrees here and she keeps telling me to move!

Megan, your garden plans sound wonderful! I've never gotten beyond herbs but do love fresh rosemary and basil (though my rosemary has never made it to 8 feet tall!)

Hi Ward! My brother lives in Atlanta and is complaining bitterly about the weather.

Dagmar, I'm in three layers today. And the cats are all plastered up against the heat vents. Maybe that's why the house is so chilly -- all the cats are using up the heat??

Bill, I have another pants-o-meter NSV to report today. I took all my overtime pay for the last month and hit the sales. So there I am in the dressing room, in my size 4 jeans, looking at my butt in the 3-way mirror and thinking ... hmm, that's really not so bad for a 54-year old. Gone are the days of crying in the dressing room because nothing fit and nothing looked good! And those days are never coming back. There's NOTHING in this world that tastes as good as being happy with a 3-way mirror.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #9  
Workin' It

Ward - We got barely enough snow to notice where I am, but wow is it cold! Just Thursday I was running in 69 degrees in shorts and a tee-shirt, today it was 21 on the way to work, and supposed to be 70s again by the weekend... How did the swim party go this weekend? Called due to weather?

Dagmar -my dad and I have lots of conversations about the weather and his belief that it is part of a big cycle totally unrelated to the damage we have done to the environment... he has a hard time understanding me sometimes... never expected to have a 'tree hugger' for a daughter.

Midwife - ooo, try not to breathe near them! Mommy doesn't have time to be sick!

Megan - my aunt had a 6 foot rosemary in a pot by her garage... took her years to grow that tall... the gardens do sound cool! I want to plant some things myself this year, thinking about starting with herbs. I'm not blessed with a green thumb so looking for something hardy - any suggestions?

Allison - wow, you were busy! Sorry about DD and his black belt test... Hope you get more rest tonight!

Meg - I'm still not fully happy in front of a 3-way mirror, but I'm holding out hope that I will be! Woo hoo for your loose pants and mirror happiness!

My MIL just got released from the hospital - she has been there since Thursday with an infection. They sent her home with a 'wound vac' attached to her abdomen which she has to wear for 3-4 weeks, will delay her return to work by 2-3 weeks and require more care during the day. She is pretty stressed out. We are thinking DH or I will have to start exploring FMLA options as the aunt and uncle she is staying with have another surgery coming up this Friday - uncle (77) is having is having a full hip replacement. Don't know if 76 year old aunt can keep up with both of them for the next six weeks...

On the upside for me, I've eaten hospital food and restaurant meals more than anything else in the last two weeks and haven't been able to exercise as consistently as I would like but have not gained so far. That makes me feel pretty good - we'll see if it lasts.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-02-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #10  

Shannon~my sister and Mom have both had wound vacs. Mom while in a nursing home and my sister had a portable one that she could take home with her. They're cumbersome to say the least--at least she could go home with it. I hope it helps the incision heal. With my sister, they eventually had to do hyperbaric treatments and that worked really well for her but it is very time consuming. Being diabetic isn't great if you want to heal.

Megan~sorry about all the wind! I hope your garden didn't get totally blown apart.

Meg~I envy you your jeans. While mine still fit, I was thinking about two pair of capri pants that aren't going to fit unless I lose this weight.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday everyone. I was going to say good morning, but it's way past that!
Weather here........tons of wind and rain...supposed to be rainy all week which should help with our drought.

My weekend was also good and bad but mostly good.

This week and next will be more of a challenge as my birthday is tomorrow (I see that dh and dd bought brownie mix-- I guess I'll have to have a little) and dd is coming home Friday from college for Spring Break. Not sure all we'll do but I'm sure some dinners out, etc. I have my tattoo scheduled for Friday with my dd. I'm getting nervous and excited!

I got to wear my PJ's to work (school) today because it is Dr. Seuss' b-day. Gotta love it!!

My goal this week is to up the exercise back to where it was before. I've been a little lax for a couple of weeks. The scale is more or less cooperating but I feel less toned. Off to Boxing Boot Camp tonight. I'm excited that tomorrow (my bday) is Latin Dance which is my absolute favorite-- I always leave in a great mood!!

I would reply to everyone but I have 60 new emails since this morning and I've got lots to do if I want to make it to my gym class tonight.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Just a running by note....

10" of new snow on Sat, and -12F at 6:30 am today! But it was with a bright blue sky today - and the new snow looked wonderful!

Sounds like everyone is having a busy time these days. I'm hoping to slow down by the end of the week, but right now I'm running to keep up.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 AM   #13  

Happy Birthday, Michele!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #14  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning everyone,

The wind is still blowing here. I have to admit I've been really, really struggling with food the last several weeks - I've been ending most evenings going through my cabinet, mowing down whatever foods I can find, and I'm definitely NOT hungry. Not only am I not losing weight but at this point I'm gaining! Not sure what kind of kick in the pants I can give myself. I have had numerous talks with myself, and start off each day with the best of intentions, but end each day overeating. I'm sort of scared right now. I don't think I've been here before - sometimes I overeat, but I've done it every single day for the last 2 weeks or so. Every day.

Michele, happy birthday! I always loved pajama day during spririt week in high school. How fun!

Pat, I hope you get to slow down by the end of the week. Stay warm!

Shannon, I hope your MIL heals. Good for you for not gaining despite all this eating out! Rosemary, oregano, and mint are all extremely hearty. If you want fresh herbs I would suggest just picking out a few favorites (I have basil, oregano, rosemary, and parsley), get some potting soil and a few pots, and plant a few seeds, or easier yet get a few seedlings from your local hardware store or nursery. You can do spring-summer or if you have a sunny windowsill keep them inside in the winter. I learned most of my gardening by trial and error and google searches whenever I have a problem or question.

Allison, sleep also affects my weight - and mostly my ability to eat OP - a great deal. Hope you got more sleep last night.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #15  
Workin' It

Good morning!

Michele - wearing pjs to work sounds like fun! And happy birthday!

Allison - the portable vac for home is a lot easier to move around with than the one in the hospital. We are hoping it works - don't want to have to go the hyperbaric route...

Pat - we got a little spit of snow at my house this weekend, but nothing fun like yours! Hope the rest of your week settles down!

Megan - Thanks for the herb info! I'm thinking I'll hit The Home Depot when the weather warms back up a little. Do you think you are munchier at night because of the extra work preparing for this lifting contest? Maybe not hungry specifically, but still craving something?

I'm feeling pretty good today - did some weight training yesterday and am not excessively sore today like last week and the pants I have on are a little loose. I'm pleased with it. I do have a red rash popping up on my legs, arms, across my chest and, oddly, on my forehead, so I'm trying to figure out if I ate anything unusual or used a new cleaner in the last few days or if it is just dry skin irritation...

Hope everyone has a good day!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote