Exercise! - WATP...are you serious??

View Full Version : WATP...are you serious??

RunnerKim
01-07-2009, 10:47 PM
OK, due to the ice storm last night I couldn't go out for a run today. It was coming down in sheeets. So I got my WATP video in the mail yesterday and eagerly popped it into the DVD player hoping for a great workout. OMG...first of all, the woman who does the video looks like she needs to lose about 40 lbs and second of all, I never broke a sweat and barely got my heart rate up. Is it because I'm used to going outside and running that this walking in place thing with weights did absolutely nothing for me? Has anyone else had this experience with this video? Sooo disappointing!:mad:

kelly315
01-07-2009, 11:14 PM
You mean this lady?

http://www.hotmoviesale.com/dvds/22784/1/Leslie-Sansone-Walk-Away-The-Pounds---3-Workouts.jpg

erinmagill
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I hope not...if she needs to "lose 30lbs" then Im going to be fat forever!

LandonsBaby
01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
If you are runner, WATP is going to be like nothing. And uh, I wouldn't say Leslie needs to lose 40lbs. Not even in her older videos.

junebug41
01-08-2009, 12:08 AM
WATP is great for people who do not have access to a facility, don't like to run (or can't), prefer to work out at home, and/or are just starting out... so I would imagine that you- as a runner- were probably bored.

But I know lots of people (and lots of people on this site) that have raved about it because of its accessibility and the fact that it's something they can do.

RN BSN 2009
01-08-2009, 12:12 AM
I imagine if you're a runner, WATP would not be a good fit for you.

LandonsBaby
01-08-2009, 12:18 AM
I am in pathetic shape and it doesn't raise my heart rate at all...so...yeah, not gonna work for a runner. :D

RunnerKim
01-08-2009, 05:24 AM
My bad...I thought I might get at least a decent workout for those days I'm iced in with that video. Anyone interested in it? It's the Power Mile with weights DVD. I'll be glad to send it your way. I was exaggerating a bit when I said "40 lbs" but the first thing DH and I both said to each other when I popped the video in is "is she really teaching this class because she and the ladies with her were definitely very large in the thighs". :o

midwife
01-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry, Kim, your first post totally cracked me up!! Runners, my dear, are a different breed. I think WATP is great for people who are just starting movement, but for you? It reminds me of Ennay's post in WeightLifting forum where her trainer handed her 3 pound dumbbells. Say what???? :lol: Do you have any buildings with stairwells you can run up and down next time the weather is bad?

RunnerKim
01-08-2009, 10:50 AM
You mean this lady?

http://www.hotmoviesale.com/dvds/22784/1/Leslie-Sansone-Walk-Away-The-Pounds---3-Workouts.jpg

OMG!!!! That's her but she did NOT have THAT body in the video i watched. Seriously...add 40 lbs to that right on her thighs and you'll come close.

RunnerKim
01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Sorry, Kim, your first post totally cracked me up!! Runners, my dear, are a different breed. I think WATP is great for people who are just starting movement, but for you? It reminds me of Ennay's post in WeightLifting forum where her trainer handed her 3 pound dumbbells. Say what???? :lol: Do you have any buildings with stairwells you can run up and down next time the weather is bad?

LOL....I guess I was hoping for too much. May be time to break down and buy a dreaded treadmill.

I have a set of steep stairs that goes from my family room up to my 2nd floor. They're carpeted and there are 16 of them. I never thought of doing just regular 'ole stair climbing.

RunnerKim
01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
OK, I just did some research and it looks like I need the five mile video. I saw a bunch of reviews that said the 5 miler is good and for advanced cardio workout folks. I guess I just bought the wrong video. Oh, and I went and looked at the cover of the 1 mile power walk and even that cover makes her look MUCH thinner than she was in the video. Airbrushing???

mandalinn82
01-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Kim, I'm in pretty good shape, and have had a really hard time finding DVDs that get my heart rate up. Tae Bo always does a good job, Jillian's 30DS does a good job and you get the strength training boost in there. The Biggest Loser CardioMax DVD keeps me on the lower end of my HR training range, too...which isn't really THAT low, in the 150s or so.

meldogml84
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
You want to sweat and get your heart rate up? Trust me when I say this. Tae Bo!! HUGE FAN RIGHT HERE!! I lost the majority of my weight doing Tae Bo. It hurts like **** the couple times you do it, but after that it's still not easy but you fel like a million dollars after you complete it! Loves it!:carrot:

MariaMaria
01-08-2009, 03:49 PM
You're a runner. Marching in place won't give you a workout.

(When I have to run in place at a traffic light my heart rate goes down--a lot. And I'm not in great running shape at the moment.)

LandonsBaby
01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
OK, I just did some research and it looks like I need the five mile video. I saw a bunch of reviews that said the 5 miler is good and for advanced cardio workout folks. I guess I just bought the wrong video. Oh, and I went and looked at the cover of the 1 mile power walk and even that cover makes her look MUCH thinner than she was in the video. Airbrushing???

I would not get the 5 mile either. It's several of the shorter versions put together. It really won't be any more work for you. She has some that are "jogging" that would be a little better but still, you'd have to add your own stuff to make it more intense (that is what I do). I would honestly just skip WATP if I were you.

As far as her weight, in her older workouts she weight more. She has lot quite a bit of weight in the past few years.

Skinny Teen
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Like the people above me are saying, this wont do much for a runner.
The 3 mile is about my pace, personally, although I like to do the 1 or 2 mile after I wake up just to get me going.
I think that sticking to running/stairs/etc would definitely be better for you, or find higher-intensity workout videos. My favorite high intense workout is the 30 Day Shred!

RunnerKim
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
You guys are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks!!!!

Oh and yes...skinny does NOT mean healthy. I totally agree.

cakses
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
As a runner now, WATP doesn't do much for me at all. But when I first started exercising it was good. I think a TM would be best for you if it's something you can get, or Jillian's DVD 30 day shred is a good butt kicker and yes Tae Bo will always work you out. But if it's running you want to do unless you have an open floor plan and can run around the house it might be time to buy the TM.

RunnerKim
01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks all!!!

Jennifer 3FC
01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Cathe's (http://www.cathe.com/) cardio circuits might be closer to the intensity you're looking for.

aphil
01-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Okay...I would like to say something. :D

Leslie Sansone has been doing her walking workouts for years. Some of them were actually recorded soon after the birth of her youngest child. Her toning/light weights dvd "Firm Up Fast" was actually recorded only 7 weeks after giving birth! Yes, she had a larger booty/thighs in that video, and the ones that she recorded that year...but she just had a kid! :o I do know that Power Mile is one of her older ones.

Power Mile, the dvd that you purchased, is one of her SHORTEST workouts! It says on the package (I have it) that it is great for days where you don't have time to do a longer workout. It was meant for days when you only have 15-20 minutes, but still want to "do something". It isn't supposed to be akin to going out and running 5 miles. ;)

Also, Leslie is naturally a "pear" shaped woman. She is larger through the hips and legs, and has a smaller, thinner upper body and small bust. This is her natural body shape. One of her instructors (I know she was in Power Mile but I forget her first name-she would be the blonde on the right side of the screen) is naturally an "apple" shaped woman. She naturally has thinner legs...but is thicker through the middle with no defined waistline.

Leslie's instructors are NOT models. They are not personal trainers. They are women who have over the years LOST WEIGHT by walking with Leslie. They are normal, everyday women of different shapes and sizes. Some at goal weight are going to be size 2 and others in her videos are going to be size 14's. The ladies in her videos are also of all different ages. Personally, I like that. :)

I have many of Leslie's videos and some of them are surprisingly intense. You simply chose one of her easiest, and made judgements on her, her instructors, and her entire series by doing ONE. :)