WW Clubs and Groups - #209 Bale of Turtles Doing Fine in 2009!

Itryharder
01-03-2009, 12:04 PM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

Itryharder
01-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi Turtles,
We had gotten long, so I started a new thread. However, you might want to catch up with Lauren's aim for April. I admire you Lauren for setting your goalfor April and in doing what you need to do daily to reach that goal. So often I would set an admirable long term goal and as the date approached I'd have to scurry or reset the date. Hmmmm. Not a turtle thing to do. So for 2009 I want to think like the turtle to get good accomplishments in the weight department!

Lauren, so sorry about the bathroom fiasco. Good luck finding nice fixtures for the bath this weekend and :bravo: for keeping your food plan strong while dealing with strife. I admire the sticking to it even when (especially when) things around you aren't that easy!

Princess and Bandit and Ariana, I hope you're all doing well. Chime in when you can. I'm sending :goodvibes: and :hat: and :balloons: that we all have a great 2009. Good luck to us all.
Judy

Princess1122
01-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Morning all and happy Sunday to everyone. Sounds like everyone is thinking of ways to make 2009 a good year. Best wishes to us all in that department!

Not much is new here, I am officially unemployed now but looking daily, there is just not much going on right now. Something will come along though, I have faith.

I am back on track with eating and have been walking. DS got me a treadmill for Christmas, he had a friend that was selling hers and he asked me if I minded a second hand gift, I said heck no I don't mind a second hand gift! It is in pretty good shape and I have been on it most everyday trying to get my body built back up again, it sure does not take long to loose muscle tone, etc.

I had rejoined WW but will be cancelling that membership this coming week and joining TOPS instead, there is one that is not too far away on Thursday evenings and will be workable now that I am not employed.

Judy: I sure hope that you are feeling better! How were your holidays?

Lauren: So sorry to hear about the whole bathroom thing! It is one of my biggest fears! Our house is old and the plumbing outdated... we only have one bathroom and it is soooooo outdated. I fear that one day it will just give out on us with a broken pipe, etc. We were hoping to update it this year but that is not an option now... Best wishes in your remodel...

Bandit: How are you doing? So I am going to be trying TOPS to help me stay on track so I am excited about that. Something new is always helpful in motivating us I think.

Ariana: How are you doing? Busy I'll bet with the new year and all. Hope all is well!

Have a happy day all!
Princess

LaurenH
01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi, turtles.

Princess, I hope something comes through for you soon. I know it's tough. I had a stretch of unemployment a few years ago, and what did I do? I ATE! A lot! Not a very productive response. But work finally did come through, and I know you'll find something too. I hope it's even better than what you had.

Judy, I hear you about setting long-term goals and not meeting them. I've been very reluctant to set long-term goals as a result. I'm not really sure why this time is different. I think maybe I just set the goals after I saw I was on line to meet them; I began to believe that I would truly achieve them. Getting into the 180s for 2009 was one, and I'm still pinching myself! I also think this approach to dieting -- the home delivery plan -- has made a huge difference for me and made it much easier to remain consistent.

Have a great day, everyone -- I'm off for my walk!

Itryharder
01-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi Turtles,
Princess, you have such a lovely family. What a great idea for your son to get you a treadmill for Christmas. Having one in the house is a boon because if it's too hot, cold, rainy, or snowy outside you've still got a way to get some good walking in. I've got a tiny TV and DVD player set up in the room I use and it's a huge help. As a matter of fact, I just watched The Mummy again in three parts and enjoyed it tremendously. Now that I'm over my virus troubles, I'll be back on my :tread: I'll start at 30 minutes and increase that as I'm able to do so. So :bravo: to your ds on such a great :gift: Good luck with TOPS. Bandit has done great with the change up and has really been an inspiration. You're back on track and you'll see a :goodscale: soon.

Like Lauren, I'm sure there is a good job out there for you and it will be even better! You interview well and you know what you're doing. You're a perfect candidate and something will work out soon. :goodvibes:

Lauren, wow, thanks for the insight. I know the food delivery system is a huge help to you and I am so glad that's you're working it so well! Weigh to go! :cheer: I have wanted to be in onederland for so long and I have allowed so many things to get in my way. Last year it was my dd's wedding. Now isn't that silly? A whole year where I continued at WW's and only gained weight? Well, I feel different this year. Also--my WW leader is e-mailing us tidbits to keep us motivated. It's a huge help. She also has mentioned that she sees a difference in determination in me and that is also extra help.
I'm doing great. I'm also allowing myself to be a little hungry--not starving, but short of full--and that seems to be helping. I kept off the virus weight and have actually lost another pound. This is definitely the day to get on the :tread: to insure that loss! I've got menus planned for the week and shopping is about to be done. Yay. Plan and prepare--famous words that make a winning outcome.

Bandit, how were your holidays?
Ariana, did you get home for the holidays? How's work?

Talk to you all soon. I'm looking forward to Wednesday's WI.
Judy
234.6/215/214 puts me at 20# down.

LaurenH
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Judy, you do sound motivated! I think it's great that you can see what derailed you last year. Knowledge is power.

You know, I think allowing ourselves to get a little hungry is a much bigger thing than I originally believed. I used to think it was terrible to ever allow yourself to get hungry. I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion, but I don't agree with it anymore. I find, in fact, that on the days and especially evenings I get hungry but don't eat outside my plan, I lose best. It's almost like my body is saying -- "Hey! I'm losing weight here! Danger, danger! Go eat something!"

Sometimes I think it makes sense to ignore what my body is saying after all. I'm getting plenty of nutrients and calories, and I'm losing at a slow and healthy rate, so if I stick with my plan, I know I don't really need the extra food my body is trying to tell me I should eat.

Planning to take another walk today. Sunshine outside, a lovely winter day. Have a marvelous day, Turtles!

exercisebimbo
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi guys.........I was a turtle back in 2007 and would like to come back.........I havent done much in the weight loss dept since then, just some ups and downs.........but I am so committed now, but I do need all the kick butt support i can get.....I have set an 8 week challenge of 20lbs, then it would be to take off the other 4 and be in onederland by my birthday on march 16th......Mare

bandit2
01-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Happy New Year everyone & a big welcome to Mare!

Well, ladies it was a wonderful holiday with lots of eating, treats and lack of exercise, but now a new year & time to get back to reality.

My fridge is stocked with fresh fruit & veggies & my cookbooks back out in sight. Back to Tops tomorrow & have to face the scale (we have been off for 2 weeks) & am hoping for not too much damage there.

Princess - I am sure you will enjoy Tops. It was a turn around point for me after doing WW for so long.

Hope everyone is motivated and back in control.

My goals are: lose another 20# by May 1st
Join swimming centre with the indoor track for walking
& go 3 times/week
Get enough sleep
Organize more of my basement

Here's to us all having a great 2009!

Itryharder
01-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Turtles,
Hi and :welcome3: to Mare. Once you've posted here you're always a member! You've got great goals and we're just the gals to watch and cheer you on to making them.

Bandit, You sound ready and rearing to go in 2009. I love your goal of 20# by the spring. TOPS really has been a turnaround for you. Weigh to go! I hope your WI is :goodscale:

I'm doing fine. MY dd and dear grandson popped in yesterday and we had breakfast out. That was fine, but I was worried that she'd want something fattening delivered for dinner. I kinda ignored the clues she was sending and went ahead and made a veggie chili that was okay. It helped keep me on track, even when my dgrandson wanted to make brownies. (Hey, the box mix called for 3/4cup of oil! That's outrageous!~I substituted applesauce that I had instead and my dh thought they tasted fine). In any case, I'm proud of myself for making good decisions. Tomorrow is my WI and I want it to be a good one!

I'm sending :goodvibes: to all of us. I realize how making a good start at the very beginning of the new year is a motivator.
Judy
234.6/215/214/ that'll be 20#down from my joining weight.

bandit2
01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi ladies - just noticed that WW has a new plan. What do you think?

LaurenH
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Welcome back, Mare!

Bandit, your goal seems very do-able. I'll make a similar one: To get into the 160s some time in May. Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw those numbers!

Judy, I am SO proud of you, making that chili!!! And the lowfat brownies! You found a great way to socialize with family and have a great time while staying with your plan. And you helped your family be a little healthier, too. That is just terrific!!! :cp::cp::cp::cp:

I walked again yesterday, and it felt great in spite of the biting cold. Music helps, too; I listened to my iPod. The sidewalks were clear, so walking wasn't a problem. It's snowing now, but it's not supposed to accumulate too much.

I much prefer walking outdoors, as opposed to in a mall or something. I know it isn't always practical, but it really lifts my spirits in a way that indoor exercise doesn't.

Here's hoping my giant cooler of food actually arrives tomorrow when it's supposed to; the last two weeks it has come days late. I'm hoping that's just a holiday glitch.

Have a lovely day, turtles!

exercisebimbo
01-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the nice welcome back!!!

Bandit......I think I am going to jumo on your goals bandwagon.......I will list them at the end........how is tops, I had kind of thought of trying it out.....I just reread your second post and was wondering about the new WW plan myself....was thinking of heading into a meeting just to listen........

Judy....doesn't it make you feel good when you are strong and make and keep good choices?? I always make brownies for every function that I have to bring something, I always made the best brownies.....friends raved about them.....then I switched to applesauce instead of oil.......and my friends still love them and still devour the pan..........goes to show we ALL can eat healthier choices without always have to sacrifice........

Lauren......I also like walking for exercise and usually outside is my preference as well.........just not when its bitter cold or all ice like it is today......what food delivery program are you using.......hubby was talking about nutrisystem, I was thinking it is way expensive.........do you have to buy other foods to supplement what they deliver??

Okay here are my bandit like goals:

lose 25lbs by Easter (I just realized I set myself up to fail....i had set the 25lb loss for my birthday in march)
join the YMCA by next fall (so I have a place to exercise next winter)
get enough sleep (which I rarely do)
organize my garage (hubby would be so happy!!!)

Going off to ride my bike.........ttyl.......hugs

Itryharder
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi Turtles,
Get out the brass band. I did it! I lost 1.6# which puts me officially 20# down on the WW scale. :goodscale: :bravo: and :cheer: At this point each ounce I lose will put me in virgin fat territory since rejoining in 2006. I really am pleased. Since I already had a star on my bookmark for 20# down, I asked my leader for a bravo sticker to commemorate my accomplishment. I have to tell you that I really don't brag, but this is a biggie for me because it shows me that I can continue to lose weight.

I know a little about the new WW program. They have dropped Core and Flex and call the new program Momentum. It uses portion control and points, but it encourages you to eat the "filling" foods==which of course are the Core foods. The booklet features a green diamond next to the filling foods and you are to attempt to eat more of these foods in an effort to stay satisfied and comfortable. They even point out that two pieces of white toast (without butter or jam) are four points, but a breakfast of eggwhite omelet with veggies, on a piece of 1point bread, and a cup of strawberries is also four points. In other words, watch what you're eating--there are healthier values to your points. Since this is very close to what I was doing, I don't expect to see a big change, but it makes a lot of sense to really plan and prepare foods, include soup to expand a meal and get as many salads and veggies into plans to feel full.

Okay, you're all doing great with your resolutions, so here are mine:
1. 16#down by May1 (That puts me in onederland):cool:
2. :tread: 3x week or more
3. attend an entertaining event 1/month
4. get together with friends 1/month
5. make an acquaintance a friend!

You guys all sound like you're doing great. Also, Turtles, try and keep in mind if you're not doing great, chime in! It's then that we need to post the most to stop the gain and get back on track. We've got loads of support ready and waiting!!! :goodvibes: :grouphug: :love:

Judy
234.6/214/211 (that's my 10% difference) :cool:

LaurenH
01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
HOORAY, JUDY!!!!!!!! Virgin fat territory!!!!! That is just WONDERFUL!! :cp::cp::cp::dancer::cheer3::cheer2::cheer3::cheer 2:
I'm so happy on your behalf! I love your goals, too. Those last 3 goals are interesting and fun. I think I may add a couple of those to my list as well.

And I agree with you about hoping people will post even when they're not doing so well. As you know, that's a problem of mine; I tend to "disappear" when I'm not happy about how I'm doing. I've come to realize how unhelpful that is to me, and I really admire people -- like you! -- who continue to come here and post, no matter what. That's one of my goals, too!

Mare, I'm doing a plan called Pure Foods Fresh Start. It's even more expensive than Nutrisystem, unfortunately, but it's real food instead of freeze-dried, which was important to me. It's all fresh, very few preservatives, not frozen. It tastes much better than the usual frozen dinners you get at the store, and it's very balanced. No artificial anything, either. I find it especially helpful because the menus are based on the glycemic food index, so blood sugar levels remain stable. It's a financial stretch for us, but since we no longer eat out, it actually pretty much balances out. I like the enforced portion control, which is my toughest challenge. Oh, to answer your question, it's all-inclusive in that you don't need to buy anything else. (They even send you fresh fruit and salad.) But I do supplement it every day with an extra piece of fruit and a yogurt. Sometimes I add extra salad, too. But you don't need to. Hope that helps.

Have a lovely day, turtles. And Judy, congratulations again!!!

exercisebimbo
01-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Judy great job getting with the loss!!!! I can't wait to join you in that virgin fat territory..........Its always so hard to catch the original zeal.....we can do it!!!!

Lauren thanks for the info on the pure foods fresh start plan.........my fear is that hubby will buy something like that and then eat all the other stuff we have too.......then he got no benefit from the "diet food".......he is notorious for that.....when he tells me he is ready, really ready then we may do that.........

Talk to you later girls..........the roads are bad and we don't even have a delay so I have to get an early start...........cya

Itryharder
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Oh Turtles,
You are the best! Lauren and Mare, thanks so much for your enthusiasm and :cheers: I feel great!

Yeah, Lauren, as I am getting older I regret not having a really good girlfriend like I did in high school. I am so lucky because I have three sisters and they are wonderful girlfriends. My two dd's are also extremely good girlfriends, and my dh is my steadfast listener and best friend. However, lately I have had feelings and thoughts about family members and I think an outsider might have a different spin about the situations I encounter. I also think it would be fun to have a friend to run around with and do fun things when my dh is busy. Maybe that explains naming friendship as a resolution. Last year I was determined to go to a "ticketed" event at least once a month. Because I was determined, I did it and it was so beneficial. Some events were expensive--like the NYC ballet or Radio City Music Hall--but others were not at all expensive and still very enjoyable. There's lots out there to do and I'm trying hard to do it! LOL

Okay--I'm wordy this morning. Determination to reach goal and my short term goal is 1# down this week! Thanks again Turtles.
234.6/214/213 getting closer to 25#down!
Judy :cool:

Itryharder
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Turtles,
This will be quick. I found and tried a new slow cooker recipe that I liked and depending on the size pork chops you use, it doesn't point out too badly.

Pork Chops with Red Cabbage:

4 servings 5min. prep time slow cook (3 1/2hours on high or 7hours on low)

1 small head red cabbage, core removed and shredded (about 8 cups)
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/2c red wine vinegar
2T. brown sugar
2t. caraway seeds (I didn't have these, so I left them out)
1/2t. salt
1/2t. pepper
4 bone-in pork loin chops (2 pounds or less)
2T. cornstarch

1. Place cabbage and apples in cooker. Stir together vinegar, sugar, seeds and 1/4t. each of salt and pepper. Stir liquid into cabbage.
2. Place pork chops in slow cooker on top of the cdabbage and sprinkle with remaining 1/4t. pepper. Cover and cook indicated time.
3. Remove pork chops from slow cooker; keep warm. Using a ladle, remove 2T. liquid from slow cooker; place in a small bowl. Whisk cornstarch into liquid. Move cabbage askide in slow cooker and whisk cornstarch mixture back into the liquid in the slow cooker. Using tongs, toss thickened liquid with cabbage; stir in remaining 1/4t. salt. Spoon onto plates and top with pork.
per serving: 335 calories; 8 g.fat, 32g portein, 35g. carbohydrates,6 g.fiber.

I tried it and liked it a lot. The red cabbage seemed just the thing for a cold, wintry day and the pork was very tender.

Okay--I've gotta run and get some things done. Good luck to us all!
:bravo: and :cheer: and :carrot:.
Judy
234.6/214/213 and onto new fat territory :cool:

LaurenH
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Mare, I hear you on the DH thing. My DH wanted to join me on this program, too, and there is NO WAY that would work. First, he doesn't need to lose weight, and second, the portions are waaaaay too small for him. He'd starve, and then he'd certainly add lots more food. So the end result would be very, very expensive (instead of just very expensive!). Fortunately, once he saw the amounts I ate, he decided he'd pass after all. :lol:

Judy, nice recipe! I love how you always try new things. I'm so uncreative when it comes to cooking. And I hear you about the girlfriend thing. I had wonderful girlfriends right up to when I got married. I still have good girlfriends, but everybody is busy or lives far away, and I miss the companionship. I need to bump up this goal as well.

We're getting the beginnings of a winter storm here; they're expecting up to 8 inches in our area. Hopefully it won't get too bad before the drive home tonight. I'm thinking this would be a good weekend to hunker down inside with a good book!

I'm very bloated right now, thanks to hormones. Maybe "the change" will be more welcome than I'd thought!

Have a great day, Turtles.

jar1965
01-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Ladies! I have been here for years but it seems that some forums start to fizzle out and then I lose my "energy"!!! I have lost 7# since 12/29 and I absolutely have to keep that going!!!!! Anyways........I was reading your posts and I love all the "energy" you girls have. So I thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully find a spot in your group!;)

My name is Jeanne, I'm 44 (today actually), I have 2 beautiful daughters 21 & 16 and a pretty handsome husband;) if I may say so myself! My life has been a struggle from childhood up, but hey........life is full of choices so once I got old enough and "smart" enough to make some wise ones - I did! I met my husband of 6 years at my old job where I was working 50 + hours a week in FAST FOOD! He swooped me off me achey feet and ha here I am now. Yea, about now.........life is good. BUT.......I work for a ..... ready for this.......a....CHOCOLATE COMPANY!!! AHHHHHHH! Yep, that's right. I love it. Imagine that! I only work 35 hours and the discount is great! :D My owner owns a Hallmark store too. So the two stores I manage are both set up like Hallmarks, but with less "Hallmark" trademarks! We are called Barkus Chocolates. Well, enough about me, I just thought it might make it easier if you knew a little bit about me!

We got 6" of snow last night!:carrot: It's so beautiful out! I think later, after my coffee fix, I'm going to head out with the camera and the dog and get some pictures. It's suppose to be short lived I guess, freezing rain and sleet moving in tom. and then frigid temps next week! Ewwww!

Well I better scoot! You all have a super saturday and hopefully I'll get to know all of you better!

jeanne

Itryharder
01-10-2009, 11:49 AM
:welcome3: Jeanne
My goodness, I guess you do want to keep that fabulous :bravo: weight loss going! Glad you've joined us and we hope you keep on posting. We've got a great group of gals here and we try to keep the Turtle idea alive by keepin' on keepin' on. We try to change the habits that aren't getting us anywhere except fat, and we try to change them to fit into our lifestyle. Not an easy task, but it's working for a lot of us! Although we are WW based, a few of us have recently joined TOPS, one of us uses a fresh food home delivery service, etc. etc. Some of us go to meetings (that would be me). We're interested in new recipes and ideas that can shake things up and keep the weight loss going in the right direction.

In any case, Mare and Jeanne, welcome. Post as often as you like! :bravo:

I'm having a good day, but struggling with the winter weather--I'd really like to eat an awful lot more food than my points allow. Gosh--what a novel concept! So I'm going to make a bowl of oatmeal and put some frozen blueberries on it and have some more tea to fill up my belly.
Everybody have a good day!
Judy
234.6/214/213 looking forward to losing the next pound which puts me in virgin fat territory this time around! Gotta do it~! :cool:

bandit2
01-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi ladies & Welcome Jeanne!

Sounds like everyone is back on track & raring to go.
Nice to see all the goals everyong is setting. I think it helps with accountability when we have specific goals in sight.

I joined the centre yesterday for walking/swimming with 2 ladies from my neighbourhood & we walked 15 laps for a start point (13 laps = 1 mile) So just over a mile & that took 20 minutes. I started a log and my goal is to do better every 30 days. The pool was busy so only got in 4 lengths then a hot tub - but overall was good outting.

I was down 1/2# at my Tops meeting but still up abit from what I was mid December. All other members showed a gain, so if I am careful this week I will be Biggest Loser with that tiny loss.

Judy - that new recipe sounds delicious, will try that soon.

It is soooooooo cold up here - suppose to warm up later but that means more snow. The city will have to start hauling the snow away, since it is getting dangerous at corners for seeing traffic.

Hope everyone stays on track this week, and lets all have a great loss at the scales!!!

jar1965
01-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Good Morning Ladies and thank you so much for the warm welcome! Yesterday was a nice, quiet day. We had a snow storm and malls and restraunts closed. So, we had Rigatoni and Meatballs (which I ate in moderation) & I made a loaf of frozen bread. NO BIRTHDAY CAKE! Good family! We had bought a box of 2 Point WW Brownies............so we each had one of those! Delicious and perfect for the occasion!

Well I'm hosting a tea party/baby shower on Feb. 1 so I have been collecting pretty tea cups from thrift stores, antique stores and friends. I washed them all yesterday and they are ALL OVER my kitchen, so I should go up and do something with them before my family wakes up and wants breakfast! I have laundry to catch up too! So...........You guys have a great Sunday! It's a BIG football day here in Pittsburgh. **Go Steelers!!!!**

~jeanne

Itryharder
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Turtles,
Bandit, weigh to go! :bravo: :cheer: :goodscale: Oh my goodness, you are doing great! Dropping 1/2# at this time of year is fabulous. I kinda felt you were a little nervous about not having TOPS meetings during the holidays, but you really did great. :cp: Keep up the good work. I have a feeling you'll have your mid-Dec. weight back very soon and then it'll be onward and downward again. Thanks for setting a May goal. I've done the same and we'll all work toward a May goal together.

Jar1965,
Was it your :hb:? You did great! You've lost a lot of weight during a really trying time. Weigh to go and keep up the good work! :bravo:

All goes well here. Dh and I headed to dd's for a visit this afternoon. Although the food was more than I would have eaten at home, I'm going to track it now. My estimation is that it was within points and that's a good thing. I'd love to lose something this week and I know I can.

Take it easy, be well, and let's all do this!
Judy
Ariana, how are you doing? Chrily, how are you? All Turtles :goodvibes:

234.6/214/213 :cool:

bandit2
01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Morning ladies:

Well, I got in another walk Sat & Sun, so happy with that & felt great being in the hot-tub afterwards. Pool was busy, so only got in 6 laps one of those days. One of my goals this year is to get more exercise, so off to a good start.

Did OK with my menu over weekend & hoping for loss Wed at scale.

Everyone, lets have a great OP week!

LaurenH
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Welcome, Jeanne! You work at a CHOCOLATE FACTORY???? :dizzy: I truly cannot imagine. Do you get sick of chocolate, or do you want to eat it all the time? When I worked at a bakery long ago, I gained a ton of weight. A chocolate factory would be 10 times worse for me!!

Judy, I now drink a lot of tea in between meals and with meals. It really helps keep me from eating. And more interesting than always drinking water, too! (I do drink a lot of water as well, of course.) I've discovered a great loose tea strainer that I use for some teas, and also a wonderful herbal bland called Spice Tea by Good Earth. It's naturally sweet and just marvelous. Good for you, tracking your points.

Bandit, you're the exercise queen! I'm impressed, especially given how cold it is right now. Maybe I should look for an indoor place to walk. I love to walk outdoors, but sometimes -- like after our 8 inches of snow this weekend -- it isn't practical. There's always the mall, I guess, if I leave my credit card at home!

Just finishing up TOM, so another pound fell off. :) Always a nice feeling. Got rid of some larger clothes yesterday that I loved but just don't look right anymore. Also a nice feeling. Just 7 more pounds until VFT -- that's just 2 months or so away! Just in time for the warmer weather. (I'm being an optimist about the weather!)

Have a lovely day, Turtles.

jar1965
01-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone! I had a great OP weekend! However, I did break down and eat three chocolate foil hearts today. We are working on a Valentines project and it has those little foil hearts in them!!!!! :nono:

Judy - Hi! Yes, it was my birthday! I was 44!:( Thanks for the encouragement. I need all I can get!

LaurenH - Yeppers! A CHOCOLATE FACTORY!!!! Big time! lol! It is very hard at times and other times it's just o.k. NEVER EVER EASY though!! Our owner had bakeries for years before going into this business!

Everyone have a great day!

~jeanne

CherryAutumn
01-12-2009, 05:33 PM
:preg: Hi ladies its me. (Cherry) I just wanted to post and let you know how proud I am of all of your progress. I read all your posts and it is great how ready to go you guys are.
Yes i am now almost 13 weeks pregnant and have gone back and forth with 1 pound the entire time so i am trying to watch my cravings;) and eat lots of healthy foods.:D I am also watching my Blood Pressure which has caused trouble at the end of my previous two pregnancies due to pre- eclampsia. I am worried about my health and the babies so i am just doing my best to keep on keepin on.:^:

:hug:Keep up the good work ladies. I know you can reach your goals.:carrot:

bandit2
01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi turtles:

Cherry - nice to hear from you & hope you are feeling good.

It is sooooooooo cold up here - there have been lots of warnings the last few days, bitter cold.

I have my meeting tonight & hoping not to be up. Will let you know tomorrow about that.

Hope everyone is doing well with menus & getting some exercise.

Keep warm!

Itryharder
01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi Turtles,
Wow, this site is nice and busy. I'll start backwards with the responses:
Cherry, I'm so glad to hear from you. Weigh to go with maintaining your weight. Keep up the good work. 13 weeks into your pregnancy and eating healthy foods deserves a :bravo:

Bandit, it is beastly cold here too. The Farmers Almanac predictead a tough, cold, snowy winter and that seems to be what we are having. Good luck on your WI tonight. You're doing great with exercise at the centre with your friends, and your exercise plan. :tread: and :strong: Keep up the good work!

Jeanne, okay-=-since you joined us you have had a :hb: without a birthday cake and you work in a chocolate factory. Oh--just shoot me now! When I was a kid in college I worked as a waitress every summer and at first the food was a turn-off, but it didn't take long before I wanted to eat everything. I honestly don't know how you do it, but kudos for doing the right thing. Keep up your good work and keep on posting! :cheer: :cp:
and :carrot: (maybe the carrot will keep our minds off chocolate LOL)

Lauren, first of all :goodscale: another pound down! This is getting serious!
LOL. Fabulous!! :dancer: :dance: You're doing great. Thanks for the tea hints. I like that idea a lot. I'm a tea drinker myself and got this hint from my niece. She brews a pot of decaf green tea and puts 1/4t. of the following spices into the pot--all ground--cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, and ginger --it makes a flavorful pot of tea. I prefer black tea but find the spices make the green tea taste better and quite good. She drinks it throughout the day and I have been trying to do this a few times a week. My dh likes it too and I figure the spices are good for him too.

As far as me, I had a setback and am figuring out how to look ahead instead of backward. I've got a pot of lentil soup on the stove and it should be yummy and low point. I've posted the recipe before, but if anyone is interested, I can post it again. I went to my WW mtg. yesterday but didn't WI==no matter what I will WI this upcoming Wednesday. So onward and downward for us all!
Judy
:cool:

LaurenH
01-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Jeanne, I forgot about Valentine's Day; you're probably swamped with work right now. Couldn't you get another job in, say, a celery factory? :dizzy:

Hi, Cherry -- good to see you! Sounds like you're doing very well during your pregnancy; good for you. Hope you stay healthy and WARM.

Bandit, I'll bet you're even colder than we are, which is saying something! It was -6 here when I got up this morning (Fahrenheit) and it reached a whopping high of about 10. Stay warm!

Judy, what a good idea to put those spices into tea. Do you add them via a strainer? Or just dump them into the pot? If you like spicy tea, you might like Chai. There are different brands that make it; I have one by Celestial Seasonings (decaf). You can add sweetener and a little milk if you like, and it's pretty similar to what I had in India. I like that one for a change sometimes.

Sorry about your setback. Do you know what caused it?

I'm up about a half a pound for no particular reason; that's just the way my body goes. I'm not updating my stats, though!

Yesterday while driving home on country roads through the snowy tundra, I heard a huge CRASH and then a dragging sound under the car. Nice. So I pulled over, got out, and kneeled in the snow to look underneath the chassis. There was a big old piece of metal hanging down; I had no idea what it was. I pondered for a bit, thought about calling a tow truck but of COURSE I was in a no-signal zone and couldn't use the phone. So I said the heck with it and got in the car and kept driving, listening to the grating metal the whole way. I had a hair appointment I didn't want to miss, dadgummit!! :) I went to the appointment, then drove home, screech screech screech. When DH got home, we decided to drive the car to the local garage and leave it there overnight. In the process of backing down the driveway, I broke the piece off entirely. Such drama.

Anyway, it was nothing that $200 couldn't fix :p, and I got to postpone a dentist's appointment and work from home today. Always a silver lining!

Have a great day, turtle ones. Keep picturing those spring clothes!

Princess1122
01-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Morning all and happy Friday to everyone! Well I have just been off the wall with my food/eating, what a difference a job makes :dizzy: I need to find a routine here at home and get my eating under control, I went to the doctors on Wednesday for my yearly and was stunned when I saw what the scale had to say... ugh! I am going to get some house chores done today and then head to the grocery store and get some things stocked up that are WW friendly and healthy options... I think I have eaten everything here that is not healthy so I guess if I wanted to look on the bright side of things I could say that I have little to no bad foods in the house anymore :D UGH!

I have been walking on the treadmill though a little bit and am going to do more of that. I have been struggling with the whole not smoking thing... I had quit for a while then started again a while back, now that I am not working there was never a better time to quit. Well it has been two weeks since I quit and that is not helping with the eating at all but I think that I am finally getting to the tail end of the withdraw so things should be looking up.

It is bitter cold here... -10 this morning with wind chills at -30... good lord!

What a miracle that was yesterday with the plane in the Hudson River... that pilot deserves a huge raise! HUGE!

take care all!
Princess

bandit2
01-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Morning turtles:

Hope everyone is keeping warm & staying OP

I was down 1# at my meeting & ended being biggest loser last week with my 1/2# loss. Got in another walk (17 laps) last night & a swim/hot-tub afterwards. Feels so good soaking in the hot tub after my walk.

It is still bitter cold up here but suppose to warm up next week. I will be missing my Tops meeting next Wed since I am going to see the musical Dirty Dancing & out for a nice dinner with a group of ladies plus my daughter. So really looking forward to that.

Today I am making a spag squash casserole with ground beef, tomatoes & lots of cheese & some muffins for quick breakfasts next week.

Have a great weekend & lets keep moving towards our goals!

LaurenH
01-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Bandit, look how close you are to Onederland!! Woo-hoo!

Princess, major hugs for quitting smoking again. That's the ticket, you just never stop quitting! Both my parents quit smoking when I was a kid; it was rough. But they stuck with it. I am very proud of them.

I'm following my plan fine but am up 1.5 pounds for no particular reason. Weigh-in is this weekend; we'll see what it says. I do need to cut back on the berries; I can't eat them every day in addition to my other food, or my weight loss slows way down. Funny how little things like that can make such a difference. But I'm thinking this 1.5 pounds is hormonal or something; my hormones have been definitely getting whackier over the past couple of years. Perimenopause is such fun.

It was -15 this morning when I got up, -9 at noon. -2 now. No idea what it is with wind chills. They even closed the schools. This is Michigan; they *never* close schools due to cold temps! Quite a winter we're having this year.

Stay warm, everyone.

Itryharder
01-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Turtles,
Despite my resolve, I overate again yesterday. I know I can do this the right way. I have to get back on track. I took Lauren's question to heart about what was the cause of my setback. I think it was this: had eaten light the week before, had a good WI, had a decent but not light week and was up a bit on my scale at home. Got discouraged and fell back into the poor me thinking and then binged. This time of year (not the holidays) is a real challenge for me. In the past I have lost weight (down to 200#) by New Year's Eve and then gained seven or so pounds in January. This is the year to break that pattern. I can do this. It doesn't feel like I can, but I know I can!! :bravo: and onward. Enough about me.

Jeanne, I love the "diet" avatar you're using. It's really cute. Good luck with your program.

Lauren, I just dump the spices into the teapot. It makes it a little cloudy and there is always a residue, but it's so much easier than making the traditional Indian tea which involves boiling water, milk and whole spices. A hassle. This is easy. I even made up a mix of the spices so I can just use a teaspoon of the mix for each pot. I do have to try Chai tea. My sisters wanted me to try it in Asheville, NC when I visited, but honestly it seemed awfully fattening the way the server in the coffee/tea shop was making it--lots of milk and sugar. I'll be on the lookout for Chai tea in the supermarket. Thanks for the tip! I hope your car is back in shape. Thought your remark about nothing money couldn't fix was funny. It's good to have a sense of humor. My poor car needed a windshield replacement and then the next day a parking lot incident required a headlight fix. So two places--but I must say minor aggrevation and that's a good thing. I hope the hormone thing clears up and lets you see your real weight loss. You're doing great.

Bandit, you are doing great. You should be so proud! :bravo: and :cp: for being the biggest loser for the month. Whew! Yes, you are so close to onederland. Thanks for the inspiration. You'll do it, I know! And thanks for the spaghetti squash reminder. I love that stuff and haven't bought it in a bit again. Yes, wasn't that airline pilot something? How in heaven's name do you bring an airbus down like a glider? That is amazing! God was with him and all his passengers. Whew! Miracle on the Hudson hardly begins to appreciate his accomplishment and that of all the first responders, etc.

Okay--gotta run. I looked through my freezer for good foods--ate out last night at a Japanese restaurant, but did real damage when I got home. I'll figure out a way to stop this! My other dd is coming out today with her dh to look at houses in the area. I'm going with them for moral support.
Take care, be well and happy.
Judy

Princess1122
01-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Morning all and happy Sunday to you. Not much new here, the temps are going up, not by much but at least they are above zero now I think :). I made it to the grocery store on Friday and to Sams club yesterday, today is the day to start fresh for me... heres hoping I get back on track this time.

Judy: I am in the exact same place as you are it sounds like, I do the same thing time and time again. I have no words of wisdom for you except to tell you that you are not alone, I am right there with you. So your DD may be moving closer to where you live? That is exciting and what a great time to buy a house, if you don't have one to get rid of anyway :D.

Badit: You are doing fantastic and so close to onederland! Congrats on joining the club that has the pool and walking track, how wonderful! Try any new recipes lately?

Lauren: You are doing great and I understand the whole hormone thing, I am going through that also, was hoping this last trip to my doctor would get me some answers but I don't see if happening so far. She wants to do some tests/proceedures that are expensive and I am not sure that they are really needed at this time but maybe when I move more into menopause but according to her I am not in peri yet... frustrating as my body is telling me one thing and my doctor another. Anyway, best of luck for a great lose this coming W/I.

Cherry: It was great to see you posting again!

Jeanne: Nice to you see you with our turtle group! I live in the midwest now but grew up outside of Philly so I am kind of from your neck of the woods. I worked in a chocolate factory when I got out of high school, it was a big factory though, Palmer Chocolates, they make the big easter bunnies, etc. It was hard when I first started there because you could eat as much as you wanted but after a while it got old and I lost interest, the hardest part was coming out of work smelling like chocolate it got me a lot of strange looks if I did not go home and shower right away... LOL.

Well I have to go and get ready, we are shopping for a church these days and are going to one with early services today so I need to get my butt in gear and get ready. Have a great day all!
Princess

Itryharder
01-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes Princess, you and I are standing shoulder to shoulder right now. We've both done better before and we know what to do. Just knowing you're there is a huge help. Yesterday went better for me and today can be good again.
I have to remember to do this baby step by baby step until I'm in the groove.
We're lucky because we are members of this group and the inspiration is great. I am making this recent eating a temporary glitch! In other words, I have to keep telling myself that is done and over and on to much better things. My dh is not thrilled with the possibility of the kids being in our "backyard" and since I am more than thrilled it's setting up tension in the house. What I need to do is let things take place, deal with them and the tension as it occurs, and make sure that eating isn't the way I deal with the tension. Okay--that's said--now it's time to move on!!!! Thanks Turtles.

Princess, way to go on giving up smoking!!!! That's a :bravo:

Lauren, I hope the dopey hormone weight goes away. :cp:

Bandit, enjoy the night out with dd and friends. It sounds like fun.

Jeanne and Cherry, good to hear from you and keep up the good work!

Okay--it's only January 16 and I've had it with snow. Hmmm--think the weather will cooperate and get fabulous soon?

bandit2
01-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Morning, turtles:

Well, it is still snowing and just off my front porch is over my waist. Looks like lots of tunnels shovelling all over the place. Really getting hard to see in some places - have to be really careful backing our of drive for the kids.
It is suppose to snow until late tonight but at least it has warmed up.

If roads are OK going to get in a walk, swim & hot-tub later with the neighbourhood ladies & my dd is suppose to come home for a few days so that will be nice.

Went out for dinner last night & had ribs & chicken & it was very good. Probably not the best choice but I was craving some finger foods & that did the trick.

Here's to a good upcoming week & lets stay on track and maybe do a little extra!

Have a great week, everyone.

Princess1122
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Morning all and happy Monday to everyone... Hope that everyone had a great weekend. Our's was pretty quiet with nothing major happening, which is a good thing :D

Bandit: OMG, now that is a lot of snow! My mom lives in northern Indiana and she is just feed up with the snow... they have had a ton and she is frustrated as I am sure that you are also. The hot tub must be wonderful when it is so cold and snowy outside.

Judy: I feel for you on the family tension thing, ugh, we have that here also and it just never fun to deal with. Best wishes that it turns out for the best. I am heading down to walk on the treadmill now and will be trying to get the two youngest dogs out for a walk today, they have cabin fever as bad as I do. Took the newest dog to the vet on Saturday for his check up and shots... ugh! He is turning into a very expesive dog. Seems he has yeast infections in both ears, they are pretty bad and we need to try and figure out why he is getting them, usually means an allergic reaction to something so now he is on special food... OMG, you should see the price tag on this stuff! But hopefully we can get it narrowed down and get him to feeling better soon. His ears have been an ongoing issue since we adopted him in the fall but I guess it has gotten much worse no matter what med's we use. so we are trying med's and a diet change.

Lauren: Sorry to hear about your car, that is just never fun to deal with. Your statement about the spring clothing got my attention! I would not be able to fit into much of my warm weather clothing so I think I will be using that as motivation to get my butt in gear! Thank you very much! Funny how little things get our attention!

Have a great day all!
Princess

bandit2
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi ladies:

Nice & sunny up here today, lots warmer as well. Calling for more snow for next 3 days so that should be interesting to see where we can shovel more of it.

Have my Dirty Dancing tomorrow & dinner beforehand at The Old Spaghetti Factory & not sure what I will be ordering - I am sure there will be lots of tempting items.

Got in a walk last night with the ladies, but our usual centre had the track closed since roof was leaking & the other centre didn't have a hot-tub, but at least we got in a swim.

Hope everyone is staying OP this week.

You must all be excited about the new President - here's hoping for good changes!

Princess1122
01-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Morning all and happy Wednesday. Still cold here but at least we have some sunshine during the day and it is above zero which is always a good thing. DS called me from school and has gotten into some trouble, I am just sick over it. Chances are he will be asked to leave campus by the end of this week. I am just so beside myself over it that I don't even know how you put it into words. He will most likely lose his scholorship and there maybe legal charges... none of which is a good time for us to face but I guess there is never a good time for bad things to happen to a family, when it rains it pours though. Eating is getting back on track, I still find myself slipping and reaching for things that just are not good but I have done pretty well for the last two days and hope to continue. Walking on the treadmill daily is helping to manage the stress also.

Bandit: Hopefully the snow is in the minimal amounts... I have to be honest, I did not vote for our current president but I sure hope that he gets things turned around soon, I guess time will tell if he was the right choice or not.

Have a great day all!
Princess

Itryharder
01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh Princess, I am so sorry about your son. I'm sending :goodvibes: and even as I do that I realize how lame that is. I'm also sending prayers. Try really hard to keep your eating where it needs to be because in these stressful situations I think you need to be in control of one thing and that one thing can be your food. Let us know how this unwinds and know we are all supporting you.

I weighed in today and was up a pound. Considering what I thought (my dgrandson jumped up and down on my scale and I had no idea what I weighed) this is okay. I'm going to forget the recent past, remember how hard I worked at Christmas time to lose five pounds, and keep on keepin' on.

Judy
234.6/215/213 and lower

LaurenH
01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh dear, Princess -- {{HUGS}} and prayers for you and your son. It seems like everyone we know with college-aged kids is having problems right now, I don't know why. At least you're not alone.

Judy, do you have any pictures of yourself at a thinner weight? Can you imagine yourself there again? I think that's what helps me the most -- picturing myself thin, and getting excited about getting there. That's what carries me through all the difficult stuff, the eating out, the avoiding red-light foods in the house, etc. I have a positive goal that really excites me and makes the discomfort, delayed gratification, and self-denial worth it.

I'm having to do a lot of picturing myself in spring and summer clothes, thinner, right now because the scale isn't budging! I've decided if it doesn't go down in time for my weigh-in this weekend, I'm going to chop off an arm. Who needs two arms anyway??

On another note, I've taken today off as a "me" day and am thoroughly enjoying it. Right now I'm sitting in Caribou Cafe, enjoying a cup of coffee and relaxing. I love days like this!

Have a great day, Turtles.

Princess1122
01-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Morning all and a very happy cold Saturday to you all! I am actually glad that it is cold here this weekend! We have DS two dogs for the weekend while they are away with friends on a ski trip so that is six, yes six, dogs here for the weekend... below freezing temps means no mud in the yard and none in my house :D.

Went to pick up youngest DS yesterday, it was a four hour drive each way but I got him and most of his stuff packed in my car and brought him home. The college said zero tolerance meant just that... no exceptions so he is back home but that is a story for another time.

Hope all is well with everyone and best wishes for a great on plan weekend!
Princess

bandit2
01-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Morning, turtles:

More freezing cold weather up here but at least it is too cold to snow, so thankful for that & it is sunny which is nice.

Got in a walk & hot-tub yesterday with my neighbour in afternoon then my gf who has been sick since before Christmas finally came for dinner - so nice to see her & catch up on everything. I made us sole with brussel sprouts and some parmasean noodles & it turned out very nice. Then of course, we had some wine. But overall a great day.

I have been doing pretty good with my menu & hoping for weight loss at Tops this Wed. But still have the weekend to get through & that has always been my biggest challenge.

Hope you are keeping warm & staying OP.

Have a great weekend!

Princess1122
01-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Good morning everyone, I hope that you all are having a very nice weekend! Very cold here and busy with all of the dogs that we have running around this weekend... I am ready for DS to come home and pick his up... LOL. Six dogs are a lot of work! But they are fun to watch.

I am looking for some recipes that are kind of easy to make, not too expensive but good comfort food for this time of year. If you have anything please share your ideas. I really need to get fruits and veggies back into my daily eating, funny how they get pushed to the back of the line this time of year, at least for me anyway.

Have a great day everyone!

LaurenH
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Just a quickie here --

Princess, do you make bean soup? I find that's a great, filling, cheap way to get in lots of veggies. I buy a bag of mixed dried beans that usually also comes with a flavor packet. I use low sodium chicken broth instead of water, and I add carrots, onions, celery, and a bunch of seasonings. Sometimes I also add light smoked sausage, too. Just throw it all together and cook for a couple of hours. And it makes a ton!

Had a lovely, quiet weekend here. DH was out of town, so I had the house to myself. Read a lot, puttered, etc. It was great. He's back now and sore from helping our friend move!

Going to see the doctor tomorrow for THAT appointment, you know the one I mean! :P At least she'll see that I've lost about 25 pounds since I saw her last summer, that will be fun. It's always more fun to see the doctor when the scale has gone down!

Have a great week, everyone.

Itryharder
01-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi Turtles,
Lauren, yes I do have a photo of myself at a lower weight and I'm going to get it on the fridge to remind myself. It's a great idea. Somehow a "I can't do this attitude" is pummeling me right now for no reason. I have given up and it's just plain stupid. So, for today again I'll be on track. I bought a chicken (not already rotisseried) and roasted it and it was delicious. I've got 3/4 of it left and I'm going to make a ragout. Princess, this is what I do: put some chicken broth (or water and a boullion cube) in a pot with diced potatoes, diced carrots, and some thinly sliced celery. Poultry seasoning is the easiest way to flavor a chicken dish since it already has thyme and rosemary in it and everyone has leftovers from Thanksgiving. Cook the veggies until tender, then add in the cooked chicken to heat through. You can thicken the sauce with a little flour or cornstarch. My aunt would serve it over toasted bread, but over rice or even couscous would be good.

Another easy recipe is to check out www.campbell.com for their soup recipes.
These are one pot meals using pasta, rice or noodles or stovetop stuffing, chicken, veggies, sometimes cheese, and a can of soup. These are tasty and easy to make and if you use ff or low fat cheese and fat reduced soup the points aren't bad for a whole meal.

I make bean soup like Lauren. I also make a chicken soup with lots of veggies. I tried Bandit's chicken casserole which is very tasty and here's the recipe:
2 cooked chicken breasts, skinless
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1can water
1 cup salsa
1 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup parcooked rice

4oz. light cheddar cheese shredded

Chop up chicken and mix all but cheese together. bake for 1 hour at 350. Then add 4 oz. cheese and broil until bubbly.
Six servings at 6 points each.

I'll keep on thinking of recipes, and will post more. I love soup this time of year, especially chock full of veggies--I have no problem buying the large bags of blended veggies (Winter mix, Italian mix, etc) on sale and pouring them into water, boullion cube, and crushed tomatoes with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic. Yummy. Do you have the original WW soup recipe with the shredded cabbage? If not, let me know and I'll post that for you. It is hearty, zero points and just the thing to fill us in.

Here's another very easy and comforting soup:
Fran's Tortellini Spinach Soup

2 cans chicken broth
2 cans tomatoes (diced, Italian style 15oz.--any variety works--I've tried the kind with jalapeno peppers, etc)
1# pkg. tortellini
1 10oz. pkg. frozen spinach
Defrost spinach and add it to the four cans into a pot
When hot, add tortellini--when tortellini floats to the top it's all done!
(You can always use water and boullion cube instead of broth for much less money!)

Okay, now I feel better and I'll make one of these recipes for tonight.

Bandit, keep up the good work! You're doing great!
Lauren, sorry about the appointment but your doc will be happen to see so much less of you!
Princess, I am so sorry about your ds--it's hard to be young and it's hard to be a young guy's parent. Glad you're interested in foods to fit into your program and here's some :goodvibes: because it can't hurt.

Ariana, in case you're checking in, we're all thinking about you and wishing you well.

Cherry and Chrily, how are you doing?
TAke care and be well.
JUdy

Itryharder
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Turtles,
I'm starting a new thread and I'll see you all over at #210