Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #1  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Anxiety attacks?

I am having a mild anxiety attack- nothing serious, but my heart is racing and I just feel so panicky.

Does this happen to anyone else? Nothing really happened to bring it on, I just get this way every once in awhile. I come from a long line of very nervous/anxious people, so I'm sure that's all it is. It's still a little weird, though! Any suggestions on calming techniques? I'm at a loss now for some reason.
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

I had 2 attacks after i had my son .. one was in my sleep .. they are the worse feeling ever ive never felt anything worse. im terrified of ever having anymore .. its been 2 years and they still haunt me.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i've maybe experienced it once or twice. Maybe try some deep breathing, concentrate on each breath? When people panic they usually start hyperventilating a bit
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #4  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

I get them. Not so often any more. It is really scary. I feel like my world is out of control and that I am dying. I normally lay down, close my eyes, and take deep breaths while my husband holds me/rubs my feet or back/talks to me.

I am so sorry. I hope you feel better soon.
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #5  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I have agoraphobia~Which is an anxiety disorder. I have them daily. I had to be placed on medicine for them because they make my blood pressure sky high when I am having them. Most of my family members have anxiety also..If they continue I would see your family doctor.They can place you on medince that you take that will calm you down within 5 to 10 minutes after you take it. GOOD LUCK I KNOW THERE DREADFUL. I started having mine at age 26 ~I am now 33.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/184/145

Height: 5'5"

That is the worst feeling. I have been taking zoloft for 6 years now for anxiety attacks. I have only had 2 this year, which has been wonderful. The best thing to do is do something to take your mind of it. Watch TV, read a book, listen to music, clean the house. Take long, deep breaths & just remember that you can breathe fine. I'm so sorry! I wouldn't wish these on anyone!
Chance0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/153/130

Height: 5'6"

I was diagnosed with panic disorder when I was 26. I was having anxiety/panic attacks more and more frequently to the point that I was starting to avoid situations where I had previously had an attack (i.e., driving on the highway). It sounds like you haven't reached that point, thankfully! Anyway, through a combination of medication and cognitive behavioral therapy I am now off my medicine (I was on zoloft for a while and prozac for a while) and almost free of anxiety attacks. A lot of it for me has to do with "talking myself down" from the anxiety.

I just wanted to add that we are similar heights with similar weight goals -- I'm right there with you! And just BARELY out of the 170s.

Last edited by ThinBeforeThirty; 12-17-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added a note unrelated to the OP's question
ThinBeforeThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #8  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

My ex-boyfriend has had panic attacks 2 times every week or so since the time he was 16. When I was with him it was better, because he had it only once a month... I can't imagine what it's like to live your life like that. He had trained himself in some meditation techniques and used them to calm himself. Breathe in, breathe out, slowly, relax muscles voluntarily, stuff like that.

I've had one myself once, and I have to say, I've never felt more terrified. It was awful. I hope you won't get them often any more!
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/162/130

Height: 5'6

I start to get panic attacks when I continuously bottle my feeling and worries up and don't express them in any way.

Mabey you need a new emotional outlet? Someone or some activity that lets you vent some steam in a healthy way so you don't implode when it becomes too much for you.
figureskater546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I get (relatively) mild ones for no reason, too. For me, it's partially hormonal -- I usually get them the week after my period. And if something stressful/scary happens during that week, I'm more likely to have panic attacks in response than at other times in my cycle. *shrug*

One thing that helps is to practice your relaxation techniques of choice when you're NOT panicky, and maybe even write down some step-by-step instructions. Because often, your ability to think/plan/remember goes out the window during a panic attack!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I've had one in my life and it was a horrible experience. Back when I was in school I had this very mean instructor and I hated going to class and it was a small class so there was lot of interaction with her. Fast forward to after graduation and I get my first job and I walk into a meeting and there she was. My heart was pounding harder than it ever had, my palms were sweaty, I almost fainted, it was so bad someone at the table noticed and commented I didn't look so well, I had to leave but it took time for me to calm down. I hope you find something that works, for me this hasn't happened again and I hope it never does.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote