General chatter - Anyone know lots about hair?

View Full Version : Anyone know lots about hair?

Smiling_Sara
11-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Someone metioned to me that it's not healthy to shampoo hair twice a day. Only problem is I have a hard time getting up in the mornings to work out, so I shower before work ( like I always do ) workout after work, then come home and shower again. Is it bad for my hair to shampoo twice a day?

Thanks!

nelie
11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
why wash your hair in the morning then? You can also just rinse your hair if you need to without shampooing it.

PhotoChick
11-17-2008, 02:52 PM
As long as you're not using harsh shampoos and really stripping the oils from your hair, there's no reason you can't wash it 2x a day.

I won't answer for you in response to Nelie, but I will say that *I* personally HAVE to wash my hair in the morning or it feels utterly disgusting by mid morning. I have dry hair (because I color it) but an oily scalp. If I don't wash my hair in the morning before I leave for work, by around 11 a.m. my bangs are greasy and clinging to my forehead and my scalp itches. The only time I don't wash my hair in the morning is on weekends when I don't have to go anywhere - then I'll throw a ball cap on my head if I have to run to the store. :)

But truth is that I don't always wash it in the evening after the gym. If I'm not going anywhere, I'll just go home and shower and rinse it out and blow dry it. If I'm going out, then of course it gets washed and conditioned just like normal.

raw23
11-17-2008, 02:53 PM
I've never heard that. I knew a girl once, well actually I've known quite a few people who are obsessed with being clean and will shower 3-5 times a day. How they have the time, I'll never know.

You could try a gentle shampoo, like a baby shampoo.

lizziep
11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
i used to wash in the morning and then just rinse and condition in the evening- unless i was going somewhere then i'd just wash twice a day. i also have oily scalp but also sort of fine "man" hair and there's no way I can go without a wash. Some lucky people can wash like every other day - I'm not one of them.

princess2323
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
i wash daily but mostly just with conditioner and skip the shampoo and i could do that twice a day if i wanted to and it wouldnt feel like i was stripping my hair--- but i couldnt really wash it that often it would dry mine out--- i' have waves from my perm so they would look frizzy if i didnt do the morning conditioner/wash

i usually do an actual shampoo every few days (once or twice a week)

when i used to wash it with shampoo daily it felt drier and frizzier than what it does now === oh and i color too

also-- in terms of which shampoo/condtioner i like best-- i would say the garnier fructise=== it cleans nice when i shampoo and the condtioner smooths my hair real nice

luvja
11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I wash and condition my hair once a day. I can't get away with not washing it for a day, it looks stringy and greasy if I don't wash it. A lot of people have told me it's bad for my hair, to wash it daily. But, I don't really care. To tell you the truth. :lol:

alinnell
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I have to wash daily due to extremely oily hair and if I go to the gym in the afternoon I'll wash it twice. I always use conditioner and I've never had dry hair despite coloring it regularly. I think a lot of it depends on your shampoo. I use a moisturizing shampoo (Suave).

MotoMichelle
11-17-2008, 03:51 PM
I wash twice a day: in the morning before work and in the evening after I get home from working out. I haven't had any problems!

MissCely
11-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Someone metioned to me that it's not healthy to shampoo hair twice a day. Only problem is I have a hard time getting up in the mornings to work out, so I shower before work ( like I always do ) workout after work, then come home and shower again. Is it bad for my hair to shampoo twice a day?

Thanks!

Ok, so It is definetly not good for your hair to be washed twice a day with a harsh shampoo. Your hair's natural oils get stripped away, and hair becomes frizzy and mistreated. My recomendation? Wash only after you excercise, don't wash again in the morning, especially if you use styling products or appliances;)

tikanique
11-17-2008, 06:40 PM
OMIGOSH!!! No way could I wash my hair that much. I'd be bald-headed, with a dry itchy scalp. I wash it once a week, oil my scalp once a week, spray oil sheen on it daily and brush a shine booster into it 3 times a week. In college I had a room-mate of the caucasian persuasion and we each were totally amazed at the vast differences in how we care for our hair. She envied that I didn't have to wash my daily, but I definitely envied how quickly she could blow dry and style hers. Washing, conditioning, drying and flat ironing mine was a 3 hour deal, not to mention I have to brush it into a circle around my head nightly and then tie it up with a silk scarf. Ah well, diversity is a beautiful thing :-)

tarryn
11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
i dont think it is good for you? yeh i say just rinse it the first time!
i do mine once a day because it will be way to oily otherwise!

Wolf Goddess
11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Mine falls out when I wash it, so I wash it every other day. While, scalp isn't dry, it doesn't produce alot of oil. I always wash it after heavy cardio, but beyond that, I avoid washing it.

nelie
11-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I guess I thought everyone had hair like me!

If I wash my hair every day, even with a gentle shampoo, it dries out. So I wash it every other day. If I feel like it needs to be cleansed for some reason, then I just rinse it with water and comb it in the shower.

I couldn't imagine washing my hair twice a day.

PhotoChick
11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I think making any definitive comment about hair care is liking making a definitive comment about what diet works best for people. :D I don't think it's possible to say "yes this is good" or "no this is bad" for things like this.

And I know my hair has changed over time. The way it used to be when I was in my 20s and even my 30s is so different now.

kittycat40
11-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I know my hair used to need washing daily. Now I try for no more than 1-2x/week. As I do shower daily I will wet it under the water and/or condition it. It freshens things up :)

When I was transitioning from daily washings to fewer my hair did get oily faster. Now it seems not oily until around day 6.

Smiling_Sara
11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I hardly ever use any product in my hair, besides the shampoo and condt. I find it is greasy in the am, and once I work out I don't want to just leave it ( tho I usually have my hair up in a pony, so maybe skipping the night washes? )

I also seem to lose hair whenever I shower....ugh, I don't know what to do!

kittycat40
11-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I also seem to lose hair whenever I shower....ugh, I don't know what to do!

called telogenic effluvium. it will come back! :hug:

aphil
11-18-2008, 03:02 PM
*I am a licensed cosmetologist, and managed a salon for a few years*

Washing your hair every day, and multiple times a day CAN be bad for your hair and scalp...but this depends on many factors:

~Is your hair long, or short, or inbetween?

~Is your hair natural, or is it permed or color treated?

~Is your scalp naturally oily, normal, or on the dry side?

~Do you use a lot of hair products, or heating tools-dryers, irons, etc?

The SHORTER your hair is, the easier it is going to be for you to wash your hair on a daily basis and have it be okay. Men with short hair, or women with short (think Jamie Lee Curtis) type hairstyles can wash daily without much problem. The reason for this, is because the hair is short enough, that through combing and brushing, the oils from the scalp can sufficiently reach the entire hair shaft. The second reason is because the AGE of the hair strands is short.

However, when you get into longer hair, most times those oils never reach down to the end of the hair shaft. This is why people with longer hair get split ends, dry ends, frizzy ends, breakage, etc. The further out from the head your hair grows, the dryer it is-because the oils don't get to it. The further down the hair shaft, the OLDER the hair is as well....

So, in a nutshell, if you have short hair, and it is HEALTHY (no color, perm, little use of heating tools) then it is fine to wash daily or even twice daily. However, if you have hair past your shoulders, and let's say it is colored or permed...then you DON'T want to wash daily.

My hair is color treated, and is currently almost waist length in the back. If I washed daily, I would have dry ends with lots of frizz and breakage.

junebug41
11-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I think if I washed my hair twice a day it would fall out. BUT I have long hair, live in a really dry climate, and blow dry/use heating tools on it.

PhotoChick
11-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Well again ... I think it just depends on the individual. I have shortish hair (chin length). I color it and I use a blow dryer on it every day - and a straight iron most days.

I still wash it every morning (and condition it, too, just not at the scalp) because, as I mentioned above, my scalp is so oily that after a few hours in the morning it gets clumpy and stringy looking and it starts to itch.

Of course I also deep condition the ends once a week or so - usually by applying coconut oil and sleeping with it in. :)

thinplease
11-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey OP!
Good question! I'm a stylist, and there are a couple of things that affect the integrity of your hair if you're washing it more than once a day. Firstly, water has a higher pH level than your skin/hair...its about a 7, hair and skin in between a 3.5 and a 5. It blows open the cuticle, and the hair shaft and makes it more suceptable to damage, and if you color your hair, it causes it to fade quicker because the hair shaft is open. A common misconception is that hair color fades...and yes, while that it true, mostly the loss of color is due to the fact that you put water on your hair and that opens the hair shaft, causes it to swell, and take on other things (product, sunlight, etc). Also, washing your hair more than once a day will cause you to rinse your natural oils out of your hair, but honestly, its easily remedied. Just make sure you restore your pH balance of your hair after you shower. Paul Mitchell makes an amazing moisture mist called Awapuhi Moisture Mist. I think its like 11 dollars for a bottle, and I swear by it. I recommend it to every guest I see. I think you'll feel like the integrity of your hair is maintained, and you can wash it twice a day if you'd like if you'd like :)