Weight Loss Support - 21 Day Challenge #4

View Full Version : 21 Day Challenge #4

Arabella
04-25-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by katrinabgood Thanks, Katrina! :cool:

I missed my weigh in today...not too upset about that, because I seem to have fallen into the same slump a lot of us around here have found...having said that, I can't believe that I just blithely threw away almost a whole week of good, on program work for a day or two of haphazard eating!:shrug:

We need a collective kick in the pants to re-energize us and get us back into high gear...Here's what I was thinkin'...

When I belonged to ediets, there was a message board called the "21 day challenge" the idea being that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. You commit to eating within your program, drinking the water and exercising for 21 days. If you slip, you begin again on Day 1. It really was very motivational and really a lot of fun...anyone interested in a challenge? Let me see if I can dig up the rules...

wow! I can't believe I did it without losing my post...must be an omen!

Rules for the 21-Day Challenge

Block 1
1. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day.
2. You must eat from your meal plan or stay in your calorie range for every day!
3. If you go over your calorie allotment, (OR cheat!) you must start over.
4. No exercise is required until your second 21-Day Challenge (block#2), but by all means, if you're already exercising please continue!
5. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.
6. Nothing is wrong with having a yummy snack!! Just make sure you plan for it!! It has to be part of your calorie limit for the day!
7. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!
8. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.
9. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

Block 2
Same as block 1 + 20 minutes of exercise 5x/week

Block 3
Same as Block 1
+ increase to 30 minutes of exercise 5x/week
+ toning exercise for at least 15 minutes 3x/week
+ must post inches lost

Block 4
ON YOUR OWN... no rules except for the ones you set for yourself... it's time to turn this plan into your plan... you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal.
Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

What do you think? I'm just trying to shake things up a bit around here...

I'm up for the challenge, ARE YOU?

Arabella
04-25-2002, 07:27 AM
I didn't exactly go down in flames yesterday, but I had a snack in the afternoon when I was kind of borderline hungry and then ate dinner even though I wasn't hungry at all. So. Day 1 again. Sometimes this is a lot easier than others.

Have a great day, Blockettes!

xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1

Arabella
04-25-2002, 07:06 PM
Here's the new one!

katrinabgood
04-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Day 2 for me...:)

I had a stellar day yesterday, food, water great. LOTS of exercise and I weighed in last night 3 lbs less than last week! Can't beat that! Best motivation in the world!

Love to stay and ramble on, but I gotta get dinner on the table...hungry man just pulled in the driveway!

later...

Arabella
04-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Again. I'm really struggling with depression that I know is at least partially hormonal, but if I don't struggle it will only get worse. This is how I gained 7 pounds over Christmas, depressed and just said "the **** with it" -- but of course, it only strengthened the depression and weakened me.

So. I'm going to try to do things that will help me out of this slump. I'm heading out for a walk and will try to make time for meditation. I don't know why I resist it so much when I know how much power it has to transform my life. Maybe because it takes a while to really feel the effects. Give me instacure, please :rolleyes:

Kat, congrats on the stellar day! If we just string a bunch of those together, we'll have this thing beat!
xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1

Arabella
04-27-2002, 09:45 AM
WOOOHOOOO! Katrina! :D

Can't believe that I neglected to mention the 3 pounds gone where the bad pounds go -- that is excellent!

I'm continuing along. My jeans were looser yesterday right out of the laundry, which I'm taking as a positive sign. Had a pretty good day yesterday, had lasagne and caesar salad for dinner, but ate very sparingly the rest of the day.

Have a great day, Blockettes.

xo
babette :wave:
2/212 (-3)/1

katrinabgood
04-27-2002, 10:29 AM
OK, this is where I usually blow it, so I'm going to be v*e*r*y cautious today...I'm having Fat Free Krusteaz Muffins for breakfast with some cantalope and strawberries....big salad for lunch....chicken and mushrooms over rice and salad for dinner. That's my plan. It's gorgeous today, I will get a walk in and definitely some yard work.

So that's my plan and I'm stickin' to it!

Unless you find that "insta-cure," babette...

see you later!

blissbeau
04-27-2002, 10:32 AM
I knew I wasn't doing as well as I thought .. I am neglecting water...

Day 1.. and on my way to the Brita Pitcher. Thanks for the reminder.

bliss
1/0/1 oh man .....:(

Arabella
04-28-2002, 08:54 AM
Good Morning, Blockettes!

The sun is actually shining here, after about a month of dreary weather. Not what you would call warm, but the sun is great to see. DH & I will go for a 5-mile walk pretty soon.

Yesterday, I walked to the gym and back (2 miles), did 30 minutes on the crosstrainer at the top of my range and two circuits of the machines. Then i walked a mile later to go to a friend's birthday party at a bar downtown and back again. Had a couple of beers and the food was typical greasy bar food, but I didn't eat very much of it, so I think I did fairly well -- if not nutrition-wise. Then when I got home I practiced Tai Chi for a half-hour.

The lack of an insta-cure is what makes this so difficult. You know, if you quit smoking or drinking, you just stop. You make the decision to either be a smoker or a drinker or not (well, actually, I made the decision to be a moderate drinker, but if I had to either be an alcoholic or quit I would quit). If we could quit being overweight by making the decision and suddenly ****POOF**** we would be slender, ah.... how long would it take us to make that decision? I would be a slender chickie typing this message. I suppose we could consider we were making that decision each time we make a choice, exercise or not, eat a doughnut or not, but making the decision a few dozen times a day every day is a lot harder than doing it once. Sigh...

I'm going to try harder to eat a bit less -- i know that the extra exercise will eventually take weight off, but I'd like to see some change on the scale....NOW!!! I'm sure if i even made it around the darn block i would see some improvement.

Have a great day, Blockettes!

xo
3/212 (-3)/1

katrinabgood
04-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Yep, that's right...Numero Uno...I'm not sweating it though...I didn't go CRAZY overboard...just off program...a bit. So, time to start over...I'll just keep starting over til I get this right! Right now, I'm off for a walk, in the rain...back later!

Arabella
04-29-2002, 07:52 AM
Ah, well... I toyed with the idea of continuing on and calling this Day 4 because my lapse was very minor -- just picked at turkey a tiny bit while I was getting dinner on the table. But. That's the slippery slope -- I tell myself that I did that without causing any real damage, so I continue to pick at stuff when I'm alone and sooner or later I'm sneaking enough calories to feed a small country. So, yup, Day 1. Again.

Had a good day yesterday, really. 6 mile walk and practiced Tai Chi. I haven't been doing enough yoga and/ Tai Chi for flexibility. I've got the weights and aerobic components pretty well established, but I know I'd feel better if I stretched more.

Let's make this a great day, Blockettes.
xo
babette
1/212 (-3)/1

Arabella
04-30-2002, 07:37 AM
Ok, I made it through yesterday. Today is my dreaded end-of-the month, the day that I have to finish up any work that I want to get paid for on my next cheque. Oftentimes this is a difficult day, food-wise, but I feel reasonably strong. And I've also not gotten as far behind as I sometimes do, so that should help too.

Triumph yesterday -- I was hungry before dinner and actually remembered that I had some cooked brussels sprouts in the fridge and had them with a couple of ounces of turkey. And it did the trick.

Took my measurements yesterday, with that "better face the music, see how impossible this is" feeling. I was thinking of ordering some clothes and thought I should see what I thought I could squeeze into. Anyway... I got a surprise. I'm a perfect 18. I bought a size 18 skirt through the winter, but I thought it was sized wrong, or that it fit me because of some weird disproportion of my body. I always thought my hips were out of proportion with my waist and bust, but apparently they aren't. And 18 doesn't sound too bad to me. I read (on another thread) that Jen is thinking about resigning herself to being an 18, and I thought, "yeah, 18's not that bad -- I would feel much better if I was that small." So as a result, today I feel quite a lot slimmer, even if the scales haven't budged.

Hope you all have a fabulous day today!
xo
babette
2/212 (-3)/1

sweet tooth
04-30-2002, 11:21 AM
Well, here we go again. I did go off program over the weekend, but was planning for some time to do just that. I was good all last week, with the exception of the weekend. One of our sons came to visit with his girlfriend and we took all of the kids out to dinner. I knew the restaurant that they wanted to go to would not have much OP food for me, so I had decided long ago to splurge this once.

BUT, back OP yesterday and raring to go. The son and his girlfriend are leaving this morning - they arrived last Friday morning in the middle of a snow storm, and are leaving the same way. When will this stuff ever end?????

Looks like everyone is pretty much starting the block again. I sending hugs to all, and to the hugs I'm adding some discipline for all of us to stay OP this week. Have a great week...

{{{{{{HUGS plus DISCIPLINE}}}}}

Cheers,

katrinabgood
04-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Quick post so you don't think I've fallen off the face of the earth! I've decided to start small with a "21 Minute challenge!" :lol: I'm having a real hard time this week...I'm sure it has something to do with PMS! I did great last week, I lost 3 pounds, but I have a feeling they'll be back at this rate. My only salvation, at this point, is to keep coming back here and reading your posts...I draw on everyone elses "strength" and I know it helps me from doing less damage than I am capable of!

Thanks for being here!

Great job on the measurements, babette! 18 sounds damn good to me...being in a 22! Enjoy your new size, you have earned it!

Have a great day!

Arabella
05-01-2002, 08:42 AM
Okay, here it goes again. I think 4 is the farthest I've gotten in a while, so I'll be pushing to get there tomorrow and then over that hurdle. Really zonked today, have a bit of a cold and am achy. But I already got a 3-mile walk in and I want to practice Tai Chi a lot through the day. It usually makes me feel better, anyway. I'm glad that yesterday was the end o'month workathon and not today, because I am not up to it. I have a stupid ghost writing assignment that I should get done today, but it won't be too too difficult.

Katrina, i hear you on the 21-minute challenge -- today's one of those days where I feel like I want to tuck myself into bed with a novel and a bag of doughnuts. Guess I won't though... sigh...

Hey, Peggy, where are you in Canada? We had a snow storm here in PEI on Friday, too -- coincidence? :eek:

Hope you all have a great day -- as for me, my intention is to just do the darn work and get through it.

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1

katrinabgood
05-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.
~Dale Carnegie

NOW I feel better! This means I am going to be resoundingly successful at this weight loss game! (when? )

Another Day 2 for me...I did have the bright thought yesterday, that at least my"turn arounds" are much quicker than in the past! If I fell off the diet before, it would mean a week (at least) of bingeing, til the next weigh in...but I would be too afraid to face the music, so another week of bad eating would pass...and so on and so on...til I finally got a grip. Now, even if every day is Day 1, I'm not going so far overboard that it's too hard to get back...I think that makes sense...it does to me, anyway! ;)

I'm off to sleep now...have a great day, girls!

sweet tooth
05-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Well, today is the third day in a row OP. Hopefully, I will show a weight loss this week, rather than a weight gain. I don't know what happened last week because I was OP all week, exercised regularly, too and still gaine 1.75 pounds.

However, the unofficial scale tells me that I am down this week, so far. Hopefully that will carry to WI on Friday.

I missed my workout this morning...had a work obligation at 7:00 am this morning, which is the time that I usually work out. I am planning to take the time to go later this morning - yes it will be on work time. :D

I finally finished my dreaded stats course. :jig: I have been sooooo stressed out over it, but managed to get my assignments in by the deadline... midnight last night. Actually even had 45 minutes to spare. :lol: It was a long day yesterday. I got to work about 7:00 am and left at 11:40 pm. Theeeenn, still had to go home and cook supper. Out of interest sake, if I ate after midnight yesterday, does that count for yesterday's food, or today's? :D

kat - Congrats on making it to Day 2. I like your philosophy about doing the fast turn around when you fall off the wagon. Even if everyday is Day 1, you will still be accomplishing more than if there were never any accountability for healthy eating.

babette - You are chugging right along on your streak. I think we are at the same day. I am Day 3 today, also. I think I'm at Day 3 simply because I have not had time to eat. By the way, we are pretty much at opposite ends of Canada - I'm in Alberta. And yes, we do get snow, even at the oddest times. We haven't had any warm or semi-warm weather here this spring. Very unusual. I keep telling hubby that if this kind of weather goes much longer, they should just cancel summer because I don't have time to do yard work this year anyway.

Bliss - How are you doing on the challenge? Has the water been helping? Haven't hear from you for a while. Come back soon

Hope everyone has a great OP day. Take care.

Arabella
05-02-2002, 08:44 AM
Good Morning, Blockettes!

I have made it to Day 4 and have fairly good expectations of making it to 5. We've finally got some spring-like weather here, not before time! I was just thinking how spring is a bit of a wake-up call here: time to get ready for summer, which usually translates to: time to get off some of that winter lard before summer for me :rolleyes: But it's really problematic if the weather stays cool and i just don't seem to be able to realize that warm weather is coming anyway. Suddenly it's hot and I haven't lost anything. I am going to try harder!

Peggy, congrats on getting through your stats course. I took stats at university too. :eek: I am NOT a math person. Bet you make up for the undeserved gain this week. I am going to start going to a TOPS meeting NEXT week, because I think having the weigh in ahead of me helps me to focus, take smaller portions, etc.

Kat, I've been noticing the same thing myself about the shorter reversals. Not to say I haven't had the occasional binge, but at least it's a single occasion and not an excuse to get lost in the feed bag for a few weeks. Some of my lapses have been miniscule, and I appreciate being able to have a small diversion without going right off the rails.

Let's make this a fabulous day, Blockettes!
xo
4/212 (-3)/1

sweet tooth
05-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Me too! Me too! I'm working on Day 4 today, also. I'm hoping that my scale at home is close to the official weigh in scale. If so, I have lost the 1.75 pounds that I gained last week, and another 3 or 4 (hard to tell). I can hardly wait for WI tomorrow morning.

babette - Congrats on making it to Day4. You can do this. Keep on going. I find that I don't have trouble with the weekdays, but weekends are generally my downfall. My plan for this weekend is to stay OP and hopefully, I don't have anything happening that will tempt me to stray. :D

Hope everyone has a great OP day. Take care.

Cheers,

Arabella
05-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Good Morning Blockettes!

I am very glad to have gotten this far. Small triumph: my smallest jeans are just borderline too tight this morning, right out of the laundry. They'll be loose-ish in an hour or so, i know from past experience. Since I've had to wrestle my way into them up until this point, I'm taking this as a sign that I'm making progress, even if the scale won't budge. I'm trying to remember at what point in the longer streak I actually lost weight. Took a while as i recall. I'm thinking of starting counting points again. I don't want to make this like a diet, but i'd sure like to see the numbers change!

Peggy, you are doing so fabulously! I was just reading in another thread that you'd lost 60 pounds! That's wonderful! Congrats -- You're an inspiration! I have 50-odd pounds to lose (some of them odder than others :lol: ) I'm trying to think of this in 10 pound chunks, though. I know that each 10 pounds makes a big difference, and - Hey! There are only 5 of them to goal. I'm going to do this!

Kat, how are you doing, Girlfriend? I like reading your posts on the other thread, anyhoo. Thinking of moving in with the Osbornes? Haven't seen that show, but it does sound weirdly fascinating...

K, Blockettes! Let's get around this block. Hope you all have a wonderful day!
xo
babette
5/212 (-3)/1

sweet tooth
05-03-2002, 11:20 AM
Yippee!! Woohoo!! This week was great. I lost 5.75 pounds and am officially 5.75 pounds from my final goal. I'm hoping to be there by the end of the month.

I am also on Day 5 of the block. But this is still a weekday. I don't usually have trouble during the week, but end up blowing it on the weekends. This weekend I am planning to stay OP and hope that I don't stray.

babette - You are smart to look at your weight loss in smaller chunks, but I would suggest that you break it down even further into 5 pound intervals, rather than the 10 pound ones. I was celebrating every 5 pounds lost, and found that I had something to celebrate every 2 - 3, maybe four weeks. The 10 pound chunks seemed to take FOREVER, and I didn't want to be discouraged. I also focused on the small goal, only, and realized a couple months ago that I was close to my final goal. I think that's when I started to have trouble with my motivation. It has taken about 2 months, but I am motivated once again, and hope to do the last 5 pounds by the end of May (if not sooner :D ).

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend. I'll check in on Monday. I may not have access to the 'puter at home over the weekend, because DH is teaching some online courses right now and spends most of his time trying to keep caught up. :rolleyes:

Take care,

sweet tooth
05-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Just checking in quickly to let everyone know my weekend has been a wipe-out so far. Friday and yesterday were bad days. Sooooo, back to Day 1 today.

Hubby needs the 'puter, so I will check in and see how everyone else is later.

Take care,

jelynn
05-06-2002, 12:32 AM
I would love to join your thread if you don't mind (hi Babette!). I've been playing around for *a year* now and I'm ready for a serious challenge. LMK!

Emily

Arabella
05-06-2002, 06:55 AM
Hi Emily! We'd love to have you along with us on our trip around the block. I've been maintaining since January, myself. This would be a good thing, hmmmm, if only I weren't still 50 pounds from goal :rolleyes:

Peggy, WTG on the 5.75 pounds!! I knew you'd make up for last week's WI. And don't worry about your weekend. Even if you manage 5 good days a week, you'll eventually get to goal. You're so close! :eek: Thanks for the suggestion about looking at weight loss in 5-pound chunks. I think that might be very helpful - at this point I'd be THRILLED to get rid of 5 pounds.

I gave it up on Friday night. DH drank too much and went to bed while we were watching our traditional Friday night movie. So I finished his nachos after I'd had my own and then ate a few more chips and had 2 crackers w. cheese. I hate it when he drinks too much, but this sequence of events is WAY too much like my own parents. He isn't an alcoholic, but he does tend to drink too much sometimes, esp on Friday night.

Oh well. I did fine the rest of the weekend and have gotten tons of exercise. Walked 35 or 40 minutes to Tai Chi and home again after an hour and a half class on Saturday. And yesterday went for a 5 mile trail walk with my husband. It's a beautiful day here. I'm going to go for a walk around the harbour before I settle in to work. And I'll get in another half-hour going to my dentist appointment this aft. This evening I have Tai Chi again.

Let's make this a great one, Blockettes!

xo
3/212 (-3)/1

sweet tooth
05-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Well, I am back to Day 1 today. I didn't go overboard too badly on the weekend, but did step over the limit on my weight loss plan. I am not too worried. I weighed this morning and have maintained my weight from Friday. Soooo, back OP today and will put in another 5 great days. :D

Emily - Great to have you join us. Let us know a bit about yourself and what your goals for weight loss are. We would love to support you in this and give you the encouragement that is so necessary to accomplish your goals. By the way, what part of Alberta are you from. I'm also in Alberta.

Hope everyone has a great week. Take care.

beanie
05-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Hi Ladies!

I was a regular on the forums before my daughter was born, and my scale is telling me I should have stuck with it!:(

Things have changed a lot in the last year and a half...I like the new smilies, etc.

Anyway, if you don't mind, I'd like to join in here....I believe you can change your behavior in 21 days, and I'd like to try.

So here's day 1

66 ounces of water so far. Haven't been bad yet today, so I'll see if I can get through the evening hours. (Always the toughest). Exercised for 20 minutes this morning.

Hope to be on day 2 tomorrow.

Best to everyone here.

Beanie
1/0/1
190/190/145

sweet tooth
05-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Hi Beanie (also my granddaughter's nickname :) ),

Welcome. I think we all need to look at changing out behaviours and what better way than to do it through the well documented habit forming challenge.

I have started on Day 1 again today...:D , mostly out of choice since I am not to conscious about following my wait loss program over the weekend. I am trying to lose my last 5 pounds, but still getting my body to adjust to not losing anymore. I don't know if that makes sense, but I am losing the last bit of weight slowly so I don't get too thin.

What weight loss plan are you following? Let us know about that baby :D (I love babies).

Have a great week.

Cheers,

beanie
05-06-2002, 06:00 PM
Hi Peggy!

I forgot how easy it is to feel like part of a community here!

Weight loss plan is plain, old-fashioned calorie-counting. ;)

There are a few ground-rules, though: I suspect anything with more than five grams of fat, I moderate my carbs, and I limit to EITHER one sweet or one drink per day. Outside of that, it's 1500 calories and 45 grams of fat.

I have a high-stress, high-travel job, and I have a lot of meals outside the home, so some of it is guessing. That also means that my water quota is 90 ounces per day, instead of the normal 64.

In short, I know the rules -- it's sticking to then that's tough!

My daughter -- 18 months old and absolutely the light of my life! She's in that stage where her vocabulary is pretty good, and she really wants to use full sentences -- she just hasn't figured out the rules yet! So we get a lot of combined English/gibberish, followed by lots of running and pointing. Once she figures this out, she's never going to shut up!

:lol:

I was browsing through the earlier posts -- is there a rule here that you have to be Canadian, or will you welcome one of your Southern neighbors? :p

Looking forward to checking back in with all of you. Have happy, OP days!

Beanie

1/0/1
190/190/145

jelynn
05-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi Ladies and thanks for the welcome :)
I stay at home with my 2 sons- almost 4 and 18 months...I weigh about the same as I did after coming home from the hospital with him--216:eek:

I've always had lofty goals- like getting down to 140 and being a size 8 again. But it's been such a struggle this time. Right now I'd be happy getting below 200 then take it from there. I belong to a gym and do great at getting there a couple times a week. I just know that to be really successful I need to be going *and working hard* 5 or 6 days a week! I've also had a problem with fast food and really just need to ban it from my life. See, I say it's been a struggle, but really mostly a mental one on my part. I know what I need to do, but have a hard time doing it for some reason.

I'm working on my water today-- have had half of it. Food-wise I'm doing great.

Peggy, I'm in southern Alberta and today we are getting snow...it's really getting old.

Talk to you again...
Emily
1/0/1

sweet tooth
05-06-2002, 06:52 PM
Beanie - That is soooo funny. I didn't notice that most of the people posting were Canadian. :D

Arabella
05-07-2002, 09:47 AM
Looking good for weight loss this week. I'm actually down a pound today (YAY!) and all it took was having a couple of wisdom teeth out yesterday (and I don't think they weighed that much :lol: ) . Since the foods I can eat (and any pleasure involved) are somewhat limited, I want to make sure I get the most nutrition that I can so I'll be having pureed soups and yogurt and so on.

Welcome, Beanie! We do have some non-Canuck posters too, but they've just been making themselves a little scarce lately.

Jelynn, we're in the same area. I'm dying to get back under the big "2" and back to One-derland again. I did just duck under last summer. Probably for about a week and then let it all slide back on. SO much easier than taking it off, huh. :rolleyes:

Peggy, you're right about the "habit changing" aspect of this struggle. Once we have managed to change our habits, this will be so much easier. :cool:

Have a great day, Everyone!

xo
babette
4/211 (-4)/1

sweet tooth
05-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Well, today is back to Day 2 of the block. I did well yesterday, but was sooo busy, I didn't have time to think about being hungry. Today is another busy day, so I know it will be a good OP day. :cool:

Finally, the weather is reaching to above freezing temps. We actually managed to get to +5 yesterday, and may be all the way up to +10 by the weekend. The yard will soon be calling, and I just don't have the time to put into it yet... I was kinda hoping that summer would be cancelled this year, then the neighbours wouldn't be commenting about our messy yard. I am trying to finish some university courses and hubby is writing his thesis this summer, so we really don't have the time to commit to yard work. As our kids put it, the slaves have moved out, so there is no cajoling them into mowing the lawn once in a while... We'll just have to see.

Hope everyone has a great day. Take care.

beanie
05-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Good morning, ladies!

So far, so good!

Got up this morning, got baby girl off to school, managed to by-pass McD's on the way to work (I'll confess that my secret weakness is breakfast burritos!) and dined on a slim-fast bar and a quart of water on the way to work.

The Big-Wigs are in from the main office all week, so it'll be a tough one! I want to snack when I get nervous, and I have to get my project approved, or I'm sunk! I'll just have to make sure I stay busy and out of the kitchen (We have one of those "progressive" companies that's full of 20-something males and so the kitchen is continuously stocked with every munchie you can thing of! And my office is next to it, so everyone stops in eating candy! "Want some?")

:devil:

Yucky, rainy, humid here today. It's been the weirdest spring. My flowers are loving it, though!

Have a wonderful, OP day, everyone.

Your south coast neighbor,

Beanie

2/0/1

sweet tooth
05-08-2002, 11:03 AM
Today is Day 3 of my program. I went to the gym at 6 am and on the way from the gym to my office, I walked by one of our courtyards where they were serving the annual staff breakfast. :devil: Oh yes, I did a bad thing. I stopped for breakfast - pancakes, sausages, syrup and coffee.

When I counted up my points and what I have planned so far for the rest of the day, I am already at maximum. :o That means I must come up with a 0 pt supper to stay OP. I have garden vegetable soup made up in advance and some vegetable sticks, so will just have to plan on a very light, 0 pt. supper. :D

Hope everyone else is having a good week. Hope to hear from you soon.

Arabella
05-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Well, after all my big talk about eating limited to pure nutrition levels, yesterday I ended up eating a piece of pecan pie with ice cream in the morning and another in the evening. More or less hungry both those times, but then I ate some more ice cream and some yogurt when i wasn't hungry. I had a high-stress day and wasn't feeling that great, which translated into a desire for treats, even if it was compromised by the peculiar way in which I had to chew. Today promises to be easier. I wasn't hungry until noon (maybe as a consequence of yesterday) and then was quite satisfied by a tuna sandwich. I should cook up some broccoli so i can get in some veggies. I did manage to get out for a walk and i will practice Tai Chi.

Hope you all have a lovely day!

xo
babette
1/211 (-4)/1

Arabella
05-09-2002, 10:37 AM
Okay, I'm up and running again. Or cross-training at least. Walked to the gym and did 30 mins on the trainer and two circuits of the machines and walked back. I have Tai Chi tonight.

Hope you all have a great day.

xo
babette
2/211 (-4)/1

sweet tooth
05-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Yep! Here I am, back on Day 1. Yesterday was a bad day. It all started when I stopped at the staff annual breakfast and didn't eat OP at the very beginning. Went downhill from there. However, there is good news. I'm back today and will stay OP all day.

Hope everyone is having a good day today, too. I'm in a training program today, so will check in again tomorrow. See y'all.

P.S. Just figured out why I have been straying from my weight loss program this week...it's that time of month. Great excuse for a bad WI tomorrow. :D

Arabella
05-10-2002, 11:05 AM
Ahhh. Yesterday went just as planned :D . I stuck to my meal plans, ate super-healthy, and got tons of exercise. This morning I walked to the gym and did a half-hour on the cross trainer at the top of my range.

Hope you all have a great day.

xo
3/211 (-3)/1

sweet tooth
05-10-2002, 12:05 PM
Well as suspected, I gained weight this week. However, on a good note, I gained 3.75 pounds on the scale, but usually find that my weight goes up at least 5 pounds at this time of month. That means....I really lost about 1.25 pounds. Does that make sense. I will just have to wait until next week to see if I am down. :(

Today, I am on Day 2 again. Hoping to continue the block over the weekend. I really have difficulty staying OP over the weekends. However, this weekend I have a study marathon planned because I need to finish a course that I am taking by the end of the month. A second course by the end of June, so have to keep going.

Wishing everyone a great weekend. Will check-in again on Monday.

beanie
05-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Well, ladies, I was going along so well there....and then the weekend hit.

One party and 2 (count 'em!) Mother's Day brunches later, I'm back to Day 1. And it's 40 degrees and raining here. Blech!

Took me two Diet Pepsi's to wake up. I think that means I need to drink another pint of water. I can't find a smilie that yawns and then falls asleep at her desk.....

On the bright side, I got the most wonderful Mother's Day presents from my little peanut yesterday! The women at her dya care are absolute gems. I have a lovely assortment of handprints and "kisses" to put up and make me smile. (They put lipstick on DD's lips and had her kiss a piece of paper -- it is SOOOO cute!)

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say hello. Gotta wake up and get moving!!

Hugs,

Beanie

sweet tooth
05-13-2002, 08:15 PM
I wasn't going to post today. I thought if I skip, then the really bad weekend that I had would fade into a past memory. However, here I am confessing that I did not do well on the weekend and am back at Day 1 today.

I am focused, though, and have committed to staying OP everyday until I reach my goal. I expecting that if you see another Day 1 posted beside my name, you will give me a good swift kick...

sweet tooth
05-14-2002, 02:27 PM
Had a great day yesterday. The secret...I ate my usual breakie, planned, packed and ate a low point lunch at work, then stayed at work til 9:00 pm and was too tired to get myself into eating trouble by the time my workday was over. :D

This week looks pretty much like it will be the same situation all week, so I am anticipating an OP week.

Next week, I am busy with a bunch of functions at work. A group of us formed a little band here last year and we have been booked to perform at a bunch of functions over the next couple of weeks. Been working hard to make sure we are ready...

Hope everyone has a great day. I'll check in tomorrow.

Arabella
05-15-2002, 09:09 AM
Hi All,
Sorry I haven't been around much - I've got a new gig that I'm training for in addition to trying to get my regular work done, plus company and unusual engagements and etc. As a rule, there's nuthin much happening around here, but WOW :eek:

DH is off to visit his Mom for a week on Friday (YAY!) so that will make things easier. I love him but I relish the time to myself and without having the drudgery of getting dinner on the table every day, having to get up at 5:30, and so on and so forth.

I'm only getting to stay home by virtue of the new gig. I must make myself a vow to enjoy and make the most of my time.
Block-wise, I blew it on Friday night again, but then have done pretty well since. What happened on Friday was, I gave myself permission to eat watching TV when I was alone and I ate much more than I would have at the table. That happens more often than not in that situation, so it is a good thing that I try to avoid the situation entirely. I love to read or watch TV while I eat, but it really makes it harder. Back to adherence to the rule.

Have a great day!
xo
babette
5/211(-4)/1

sweet tooth
05-15-2002, 01:01 PM
Yes, I am now on Day 3 of the block. Since the latest binge last weekend, I have committed to staying OP until I reach goal. So far, so good, I'll just have to wait and see what the weekend brings....

:D :D :D :D :D :D

beanie
05-15-2002, 02:01 PM
So far, so good.

Babette, I agree that sitting at the table makes all the difference in the world. My DH and I have established a new rule in the last few weeks: Serve dinner on the kitchen counter, carry it to the dining room, keep the TV OFF and the serving dishes off the dining room table. That way, you have to physically get up and decide to have more than is on your plate.

DH went to the doctor yesterday and had the riot act read to him by his doctor. So now he's dieting, too. I think this'll make things so much easier. It's soooo hard to stay on a program when he's walking in and saying "how 'bout I order a pizza?" :nono:

Peggy, what kind of band? It must be great to have a regular gig, if only for a few weeks. What fun!

OK, off for my lunchtime walk. Rain finally eased up here, if only for a day or so. Gotta take advantage of it!

Take Care

Beanie
3/-1/1

sweet tooth
05-15-2002, 02:40 PM
Babette - I think you are making a wise decision. Eating with the tv on (contributes to fast eating and also no communication, another issue altogether), and leaving the serving dishes off the table are a good idea.

We made is a rule when our kids were young to never have the tv on when we eat. It was the time we spent talking to each other and telling everyone the important things that were happening in our lives. We did have the occasional treat where we ate in front of the tv - like hockey play-off games, or a special movie - but there were not very often. We have actually gotten rid of the family tv since the family is gone and we don't watch it anymore.

Another thing that you might want to try, when it comes to the second helping thing, is to not make second helpings. I started with the lean cuisine skillet sensations (which are 2 servings) and augmented that with a salad and ff dressing, and maybe some additional vegetables. There were no second helpings to go back for :D, therefore no temptations. I have transferred that into my own cooking now, so that I cook only what we are going to eat. If anyone is still hungry when finished eating, there are always lots of vegetable or fruit snacks around to munch on.

The smart thing, though, is that you are making changes that will affect your lifestyle, your health and as a bonus, your weight. The most important thing is to try different ideas, keep the ones that work and discard the ones that don't. You keep goin'. Now you have a weight loss buddy to support you right at home. Congratulations. I think it will be interesting to see where we all are next year at this time. :)

Arabella
05-16-2002, 08:03 AM
Thanks, Peggy, for the input! The idea of not making extra servings is a terrific one. I usually make HUGE salads and don't think twice about having more, although I don't usually take more of the main dish. And I don't need more as a rule - just eat it because it's there. And sometimes when I am serving from a container, I leave everything out on the counter, as if I'm leaving it there in case I want more. Makes it much too easy to go back and scoop out a bit more. Those calories add up too. Funny how much of this is second-guessing your inner child, huh. My inner child could definitely use some discipline, at least when it comes to food. :o

Yea, though I am on Day 1 again, and still trying to get around the block, I am making progress - my aberrations are smallish, consisting of eating more than I need or eating when I'm not really hungry. I haven't had an actual binge in weeks, and that feels good. :D I feel much more like a normal, healthy eater. Even if that includes (as it usually does) the occasional little lapse, I haven't felt the need to binge, perhaps partly as a result of allowing small indulgences. All in all, I feel pretty optimistic. The weight is coming off, even if it is sloooooow, and my habits are improving. My exercise is very good. This is going to work! And some sweet day, I'll get around block #1! :rolleyes:

I succumbed to the impulse to have some baklava last night - it was sitting on the kitchen table (mistake! AHA!) because we'd had people over for dinner before going out to a movie. I hadn't thought of how much the fact of it sitting out there factored in, but now I'm thinking "Hey - if I'd put that away, that probably wouldn't have happened." I did have kind of a stressful day, which was a contributor, but I think if the darned stuff had been in the freezer, I would have been safe. Next time!

Have a wonderful day, All!
xo
babette
1/211/1

Arabella
05-17-2002, 08:25 AM
DH leaves today for a week. Looking forward to the time alone, but i know that i've got to plan my time to make it work well for me. Plus i've got a lot of work to get done :( I feel pretty good and optimistic, though. I will do my best to have a great "vacation" :lol:

The plan: I'm going to try to see how many perfect days I can string together. :rolleyes: Yeah, I know that's the whole point of this exercise, but it could be either easier or more difficult with DH away, and I intend to make it easier, through application of due discipline.

DH and I walked around the harbour this morning and I will squeeze in some tai chi through the day. I'm having dinner with an old friend tonight.

Let's make this a wonderful day, Blockettes!

xo
2/211 (-4)/1

katrinabgood
05-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Hey...thought I'd breeze in and say hi! I've been kind of busy lately, not much time to post...that and being on a perpetual "Day 1" kept me away! I somehow managed to take off 2 lbs this past week, so, even if I'm not consciously following my plan...good habits must be sinking in somewhere along the way!

I'm happy to say this is Day 2 for me...I know what you mean babette, about working the indulgences into the plan...this definitely keeps my sweet tooth from rearing it's ugly head and DEMANDING attention! Exercise has been good, so I'm on a new roll! We have a busy weekend coming up...the kid's events should keep me hopping and out of the cookie jar!

Have a nice "vacation," babette...I'd LOVE some time alone...spend your time wisely!

Gotta run, I'll be back!

Arabella
05-18-2002, 08:07 AM
Okay, it's not like i didn't know better. I had one of those days yesterday where my day gets highjacked and I end up feeling crummy. Started out great - I was quite happy in the morning and felt like I was ready for the day. I had to drive out to the country to pick up my nephew who was going away with DH, and I invited my Mom along for the drive because she likes to get out. And then, I just didn't quite allow myself enough time to do it comfortably, and ended up driving like a maniac and fretting about DH being pissed because I wasn't back when I said I would be. I actually made it - just 5 minutes later than I said. And DH hadn't called to be picked up, so all my fretting was for nought. Then I started to make the sandwiches for the trip that DH had coerced me into doing. He was an hour later than he expected so everything was actually ready by the time he got home, but it was not the kind of day I would have spent for myself. I know I sound like a spoiled brat - lots of women do more than I do with a glad heart, but sometimes I feel like I'm in servitude! :mad: And I don't like it! By the time they left, my good mood had evaporated.

And my friend cancelled dinner. By that time, I was in that frame of mind where nothing sounds like fun anyway (except i did sort of consider shopping, which might have been an idea). And decided to have dinner watching TV. :nono: So of course I ended eating a really big dinner and then munched cheese and crackers through the evening. Stayed up late, even though i was tired early and wasn't enjoying myself :shrug: Bleh. I think that the whole thing could have been avoided if I'd just gotten out of the house 15 minutes earlier to pick up DN.

Okay. I'm ALONE here for the week and can organize my days to suit myself. So I am putting a renewed effort into enjoying myself (while also being productive :rolleyes: )

Kat, great to "see" you again! :D I keep up with you on the other thread, but it's always nice to have you in here, too! Thanks for the reminder about spending time wisely - yesterday was a real example of how my time is what I make it. And life is just too freakin' short to waste with that kind of foolishness. Like throwing away time that could be precious! Ah.I think I've got myself talked around this thing enough to recover. Plus, the overeating (not quite a binge, but not good) could have been avoided if I maintained my rule about only eating at the table (and not reading :( ) when i'm alone. That really works for me. Maybe I should do it, huh? :shrug:

Peggy, hope your gigs are a blast! Now, THAT sounds like a LOT of fun, playing in a band. One of my fantasies, but uh.. i can't even play air guitar...

Let's make this a great one, Blockettes! I am going to put a major effort into doing just that. I'm getting my grandson today and keeping him overnight and will see about getting my son over.

xo
1/211 (-4)/1

Arabella
05-20-2002, 10:24 AM
Felled by chocolate cheesecake yesterday. I did okay on the weekend, followed all my rules. Ate a light dinner yesterday and then had a piece of cheesecake for dessert later. And then I had more, when i definitely was not hungry. :o

Today I feel like I got the sugar craving out of my system -- now I just want to get the darn sugar out of it!

Let's make this a great day!

xo
1/211 (-4)/1

beanie
05-20-2002, 05:40 PM
"now I just want to get the darn sugar out of it!"

Truer words were never spoken.

I find that sugar begets sugar begets depression begets more sugar. So why do we do it ? Why aren't the government Drug Czars out there helping the American (and Canadian and whomever else) public figure out how to kick their Moon Pie habits?????? I think there's a sugar lobby in congress that is hatching an insidious plot to keep us all hooked.
:devil:

It's the same folks who invented 'Fried Cheese". Let's face it; only fat has more fat.

Anyway, yes, I'm back to day 1. It's like I have the little angel and devil people on my shoulders. Monday-Friday the little angel wins. Saturday and Sunday the little devil wins.

I'm looking into blowing large $$$ on one of those Precor cross-trainers. With a toddler at home, I cannot usually get time to go to the gym. And I'm often home alone with no back-up in the evening, so going out for a walk isn't even an option. (I can't leave the baby alone in the house asleep; I know other people do it, but I just can't) I really like eliptical cross-trainers. So the reason I bring this up is to ask if any of the rest of you have taken the plunge into home gym equipment and can give me some feedback on how your experience with Precor (or any of the other major manufacturers) has been.

OK. I'm going to stick with it this week. Leaving town for a couple of days on business (so I'll be able to go to the gym while travelling -- I get my best workouts in hotel weight rooms!). I'll check in for a pre-weekend confession and pep-talk on Friday.

Hugs,

Beanie

1/-1/1

beanie
05-20-2002, 05:43 PM
No; I didn't eat Moon Pies or Fried Cheese this weekend. They were just for illustration

Strawberry-Rhubarb pie (yep, complete with ice cream)......now, that's another story........

.......Oh, yeah, and the Bridge Mix....can't forget the Bridge Mix.

Beanie

Arabella
05-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Even if i have to post a week of day 1 I refuse to quit. I did poorly yesterday. Not feeling well, which I used as an excuse to allow myself to eat sitting on the couch. That - as I know from a LOT :eek: of experience - often leads to trouble. I intend to frequently remind myself of that fact repeatedly today, so I know why I must prohibit it.

Beanie, I am so with you on the sugar thing (but....strawberry rhubarb pie with ice cream and bridge mix...mmmmm). I'm just about ready to try one of the sugar busters plans. Someone posted a link to a good site a while ago, which I forgot to save. I know that sugar is bad for me, makes me feel less well, and so on and so forth... But I seem to be in a phase of eating it almost every day, which I would really like to stop. I AM depressed today, and I'm sure that part of that is that I didn't take care of myself properly yesterday. Excess food NEVER helps me - when will I learn? :rolleyes:

I will WORK at this thing today. Let's make it a good one!

xo
babette
1/211 (-4)/1

Debelli
05-23-2002, 01:32 PM
BABETTE,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that we have a SUGAR BUSTERS board right here on the 3FC'S site that we all would welcome you to come and check out and join us at any time. Our link is below, just click on the link and find our most current WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD, where we mostley post:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=62

Continued success to all!

Debbie
194/12?/129
Sb since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

sweet tooth
05-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Well, it has been a while since I posted (almost a week), but the time that I took off was spent wisely. I think another small weight gain for me last week, made me sit down and reflect on all this weight loss stuff.

This past weekend was a long weekend in Canada, so I spent the weekend reflecting and making some key decisions about my weight. I am definitely having trouble losing the last 10 pounds and wonder if I really am in a frame of mind to lose it. When I started this journey, I wanted to be about a size 6. Consequently, I guessed that, for me, a size 6 would be about 120 pounds. I went to Walmart a couple of weeks ago because I needed a pair of cheap jeans really quick. Sooo I settled on a pair of size 6 jeans, simply because they didn't have anything smaller. When I really thought about the whole issue, I realized that I have accomplished the size goal that I was striving for - it just doesn't match the weight goal that I set for myself. The final decision that I have made is that I am going to be happy at around the 130 mark (size 6), let my body adjust to this weight and then decide in a few months whether I want to lose the extra 10 pounds. The thing I need to do now is to stay on a maintenance program and make sure that I don't gain. Consequently, I started with Day 1 last Monday, on a less rigid program, but one that will still allow me to maintain the weight that I am presently carrying.

The long and short, is that today is Day 4. Unfortunately, the stress, plus the work load that I am carrying, have been so high this week that I haven't had time to eat even the minimum required on my weight loss plan. My official WI is tomorrow, so I am expecting a bit of a loss. Starting Saturday, I will need to manage the maintenance plan very rigidly.

Hope everyone else is having a good week. How is the weight loss coming?

Tomorrow is the start of your holiday weekend. For those who are driving out of town, drive carefully and have a happy and safe holiday. Take care.

Cheers,