Weight Loss Support - Causes of overeating

View Full Version : Causes of overeating

Monkeybean
11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I was wondering what others think causes their binge eating. I have been trying to understand what is happening in my brain that causes me to crave food all the time, and I am really struggling to find it. I know I have my injury to deal with, but it seems like there is something far greater, but I am not sure what. I don't want to binge eat, but I find myself eating even when I am not hungry. I hate this and wish I had some idea of what things might cause this behavior. :mad:

What are some things that cause you to binge eat or over eat when you aren't even hungry?

Iconised Ghost
11-09-2008, 04:15 PM
boredom, stress and nerves. Those are the big ones for me

PhotoChick
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Boredom is the majority of my problem. That and habit.

I do eat emotionally, or used to I guess. I don't so much any more, thank heavens. But then I don't "binge" in the traditional sense either. I just eat mindlessly.

I'll sit in front of the TV and eat without even thinking about it.
I'll eat even though I'm not hungry just to have something to do.
I'll go through an entire bag of potato chips just because they're there.

If I think consciously ... am I hungry? do I want this? ... the answer is often "no". But being *conscious* of my eating ... that's the hardest thing for me.

Dazzling
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Stress, loneliness, personal problems, boredom are the major things that push most of people to binge.

Monkeybean
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Boredom is the majority of my problem. That and habit.

I do eat emotionally, or used to I guess. I don't so much any more, thank heavens. But then I don't "binge" in the traditional sense either. I just eat mindlessly.

If I think consciously ... am I hungry? do I want this? ... the answer is often "no". But being *conscious* of my eating ... that's the hardest thing for me.

you hit the nail on the head for me.... I do all of these... Perhaps boredom could be part of my problem. I just wish I was able to stop it. I don't even realize it until the food is gone. And this is the worst part. I have tried to make healthier munching choices, but I would prefer not to even be tempted to munch! argh!!!

Monkeybean
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Dazzling, I hadn't even thought about loneliness. I suppose that could be an issue too.. I sit at home all by myself all day every day...

I really think I need to do some more self evaluation because I think there could be some things I have overlooked...

mazza
11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Boredom, stress, anxiety, cravings.

Dazzling
11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Monkeybean: When I used to live by myself, and especially after the semesters were over (especially in winter breaks), and when all my friends were out of town, I used to feel soo lonely and empty inside. That feeling by itself killed me and that pushed me to overeat and binge all the time. I somehow felt worthless in those winter breaks, alone in the world with no one to share those feelings with. But things got a bit better when I convinced myself to force myself out of the house and go out. That helped a bit, but then at NIGHT when I was by myself it was the same cycle repeating itself: overeating and binging on junk food.
I somehow just needed someone to be with me, someone to talk to ... I guess that's happening to you as well.

iriswhispers
11-09-2008, 04:55 PM
loneliness is really my thing... i've posted in some other thread about having trouble making friends since i moved, and especially on the weekends or holidays i just feel empty, and so I eat eat and eat some more!

CountingDown
11-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Stress, is a biggie for me.

But, honestly - the biggest reason is that eating food - especially carbs releases serotonin in my brain and makes me feel good. And I like the feeling I get from eating.

Another big factor is skipping meals. If I don't eat for much of the day - there isn't a force on earth that can keep me from binging once I finally start eating.

Thus, an ounce of prevention ...

What works for me?

Eating several small meals throughout the day
Eating protein at every snack or meal

Drinking enough water so that I don't become dehydrated

Planning my eating so I don't graze through the kitchen after I get home from work

Keeping healthy snacks handy at all times

Keeping binge foods out of the house (as much as possible)

Eating one thing, and then finding something else to do for 15 minutes after I eat. Usually, I will lose the desire to eat more.

Exercise first, then eat - even 5 or 10 minutes will help me make better choices.

Michellelee
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm an emotional eater--When I'm stressed out I used to get myself a little snack to reward myself. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 strong opininated children, so I used to get lots of mommy treats. Now I'm trying to drink lots of water and have meals and snacks planned ahead of time so I don't reach for junk food when I'm stressed out. Also, I try to have some activity planned in the evening to keep me from getting bored and eating.

carolr3639
11-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I googled feast or famine cycle and binge eating and found this.

You could learn a lot from a dog about eating and appetite.

Well, not my dog. As many of you dog lovers know, you have a choice when it comes to feeding your pooch—you can go with regular meals or allow the dog to free feed, meaning she has constant access to food.

Callie’s on a meal plan—she eats two meals a day. She’s a healthy weight, but outside of mealtime, you’d think she was slowly starving to death. Luckily for her, the sidewalks of Manhattan provide ample opportunity for her to indulge her cravings. Despite my best efforts at leash control, Callie has dined on pizza, soft pretzels, French bread, and, on occasion, a whole chicken discarded outside a restaurant.

If Callie were to free feed (and, at this point it may be too late, and I’m not really trying to cure her of an eating disorder), her food dish would remain full, and she’d graze throughout the day—a bite here, a nibble there, maybe even a full meal in the morning or after some rigorous play. Because the food would always be available, she wouldn’t feel the need to so desperately scavenge the sidewalk gutters. She’d follow her appetite, instead of relying on the external cues of mealtimes. She’d likely be less anxious and obsessive around food.

As a human, you may restrict your intake to designated mealtimes, and to certain foods at that (the hallmark of the diet). As a result, cravings develop and bingeing becomes your way of guaranteeing satisfaction within the realm of these restrictions. If you’re to remove the restrictions and free feed, the likelihood is (after some adjustment time), you’ll learn to follow your appetite, eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. . . because you’ll know that the food will always be there, and you won’t have to scramble on the sidewalk to retrieve it.
Posted by drstaceyny at 10:24 AM

luvja
11-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Bingo. That's exactly how I used to be.

Skullarix
11-09-2008, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with everyone else here. I was actually doing really well, 'til after Halloween... all that candy sitting around the house. I've had a couple bad days, but I'm back on track *looks around at the candy* for the moment.

Someone has a quote on here that says, "I've come to far, and worked to hard to take orders from a cookie." I keep trying to think of that when the candy starts talking to me.

Monkeybean
11-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Oh goodness, so much wonderful input! Thanks so much!

Dazzling and iriswhispers,

I have been doing some reading and think this is really an issue with me. I also have a really hard time making friends, and in fact, don't have any friends that I routinely talk to ... :( I am certain that this could very well be one of my biggest issues. I have a really hard time meeting people and am always concerned when I meet someone new that they won't like me. Not really sure why I feel like this, but I was never like this in the past.

CountingDown

Thanks for the great tips. I will try those, although the exercise tips won't be easy because I have limited mobility. But I may be able to find another way to make it work..

Michellelee

I know what you mean. I only have one, but she has the energy of 10 and she is always doing things that can just eat at my nerves. (why can't they just eat at our fat cells!?) lol.. I think having something planned in the evening is a good idea.. too bad I always seem to fall short on my plans. argh!!

carolr3639

you reminded me of something.. when I was little, my mom use to hide food from us and wouldn't let us eat any of her "goodies". When I moved out on my own, I suddenly started buying and eating ALL of these foods and that was the start of my eating disorder.

I have been trying to do the several meals throughout the day, and snacks in between, but my snack of choice always seems to be bad. I am getting better though because I am not allowing myself to buy them. (most of the time anyway).

luvja

how did you change this behavior?

Monkeybean
11-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I have to agree with everyone else here. I was actually doing really well, 'til after Halloween... all that candy sitting around the house. I've had a couple bad days, but I'm back on track *looks around at the candy* for the moment.

Someone has a quote on here that says, "I've come to far, and worked to hard to take orders from a cookie." I keep trying to think of that when the candy starts talking to me.

Oh I love that quote.. thanks for posting it.. I need to print that and post it in the kitchen.

I had that issue with the candy even before halloween started. I had to get rid of all the candy that night or I knew I would eat even more. It is so hard to do though!!

jellydisney
11-10-2008, 06:58 AM
In addition to the emotional eating, sometimes I overeat because the food is delicious!! There are foods I could just eat until I explode: macaroni and cheese, ice cream, taco bell mexican pizzas... so I try to avoid those foods as much as possible :)

Zen Pharmacy
11-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Here's my thing. I procrastinate eating.

I get into a groove of reading or making note cards or writing a paper or some intense school related activity. And then I look up and it's hours later with nothing to eat. And then I tend to overeat because I'm ravenous by that point.

I'm getting better. I try to pack a bag that includes snacks with my highlighters.

lipidful
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I can't remember who posted the response
about waiting a bit after eating something before moving onto something else, but I think that is a BIGGIE for me.
It's almost like I can get into a pattern of some sort. I finish one thing. I'm physically satisfied, but feel the need to move onto something else because for some reason, I feel the need to fill some other craving. If I really pause after the first thing, and maybe brush my teeth or something, it usually stops me from continuing. Where do these urges come from???? :?:

edited to say: it was CountingDown who said this:
"Eating one thing, and then finding something else to do for 15 minutes after I eat. Usually, I will lose the desire to eat more."
I completely understand this feeling.

Thighs Be Gone
11-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Monkey Bean,
I like your question. I can answer only for myself. I didn't necessarily enjoy eating. I, at times, ate even when it wasn't that appealing to me. I ate from habit. I ate because the food was there when no one else is. I was unconciously eating to fill a void. I only created a bigger void with the food. I played the "fat momma" role because when I was in that category I was so far away from being compared to most other women my age that I ceased to care anymore. It was safer there in many respects.

Smiling_Sara
11-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I was wondering what others think causes their binge eating. I have been trying to understand what is happening in my brain that causes me to crave food all the time, and I am really struggling to find it. I know I have my injury to deal with, but it seems like there is something far greater, but I am not sure what. I don't want to binge eat, but I find myself eating even when I am not hungry. I hate this and wish I had some idea of what things might cause this behavior. :mad:

What are some things that cause you to binge eat or over eat when you aren't even hungry?

Stress
Lonley
It's in front of me
Trying to fill a void
Cause others are eating
To Celebrate

I could prob go on and on, but those a few

Lori Bell
11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I asked a question here once, and I wasn't all that surprised by the majority of the responses. I asked if people binged in private or public situations. I'd say that probably 90% said in private...including myself. I think that loneliness is probably my number one reason for overeating...that and depression. I'm a stay at home mom, and my "baby" started school 5 years ago. I began gaining massive amounts of weight when he started kindergarten. I think it's about time for me to get a part time job, (out of the house and around people) because now that winter is about here and I can't get outside and work in the yard and garden much at all lately, I have just realized it's going to be a LONG...LONELY winter if i don't do something drastic to keep myself on the wagon. I've been having a very difficult time since it turned cold and dark and gloomy. I haven't binged, but I have come close just about every day for the last 2 weeks. It has been a scarey emotional struggle. Lots of praying and hot baths.

3FC has helped a lot! Thank the Good Lord for 3 FC!!

Monkeybean
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
jellydisney

I do the same thing! I tend to overdo it on things like chocolate, yes, taco bell food, mmm mmm, breads, and lots of other high carb foods. As I read more about carbs, I am learning that my eating habits are actually causing the cravings to eat even more. Now I need to learn to battle that fight.

Zen Pharmacy

Yea, I do that as well... I get on the computer and find that I just don't want to get up and stop what I am doing. I have actually started leaving a small container of almonds by the recliner to make sure I have something to snack on during those periods between meals. I like your idea of packing the snacks with the highlighters! Good idea!

lipidful

BINGO!!! That is where this post stemmed from. I feel the same way, and I have no idea why it keeps happening! I can brush my teeth, but the only thing that does is prevent me from drinking orange juice.. lol... I am on a serious fight to figure all of this out.

Thighs Be Gone

yes, I understand. And based on some input from several other posters, I think that my loneliness and fear of what others think of me could be causing this same situation in my life. It is truly sad to feel safe being isolated, but that is how I have become. :(

BornToFly

lol... yea, I am certain that we could go on and on... it is amazing to me how all of these emotions can react so negatively with our desire for a healthier lifestyle. argh!!

Lori Bell

I have grown to hate eating in front of others. I feel like they judge everything I put in my mouth. It is the most horrible feeling. You say it has been a scarey emotional struggle, and yes, I agree 100%! It is such an emotional rollercoster. And to think, we are already dealing with these other emotions, only to have this food issue adding to the list of struggles. I, too, feel that I am very blessed to have found 3FC. I don't think I would have found motivation without it. I know I am a newbie, but I am one step closer to making this work and understanding why I do what I do!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have really appreciated the input from everyone. I realize that this issue is something that can be stemmed from many different things. All of your responses have caused me to look at myself and really try to pinpoint where I fall in this category. I have come to the conclusion that my difficulties are a result of all kinds of emotional issues, including, but not limited to loneliness, stress, boredom, filling a void (although not quite sure yet what that/those void(s) is/are. :mag:

I have decided to take a look at these issues to start with and try to determine what I can do to help battle these issues. I know that I can't solve them in one day, and it will take a long time to completely understand what triggers these eating habits. But hopefully, I am on a path that will lead me in the right direction.
:woohoo:

Pinot Grigio
11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Countingdown

I totally agree with you about the skipping meals. If I dont keep a 3-4 hour flow of protein and/or fiber and water going into my system, there's nothing that will stop me from eating anything I can find to satisfy my binge. I eat quickly when I'm binging too because I know I can get more flavors to savor before getting full. Problem is, when my stomach catches up to my mouth, I usually feel nautious.

This was a good thread thanks!!

Apple Cheeks
11-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I binge when I'm:

* Stressed & tired

* Feeling overwhelmed (guess that would just be another word for "stressed" though)

* Lonely? Hadn't thought about it, but could be true for me too....

* Angry

* Needing instant "comfort"

* Wanting to feel that little high that comes from sugary/fatty food.

* Feeling rebellious against myself.

This last one is puzzling to me, but I do seem to rebel against myself and my new habits sometimes. It's kind of like my inner teen is waging a battle against the adult me. :?:

Monkeybean
11-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Apple Cheeks

How ironic that you say that about rebelling against yourself. I have done the same thing, and it is really really strange. I am not sure why my mind seems to want to sabotage me... But it seems to happen usually about a week after I start trying to make a change. This time, however, I have found this site, and hope that it will help prevent this phenomena.

kuhljeanie
11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
exhaustion plays a huge role these days for me...when i'm rested, it's much easier to win the internal argument and Just Back Away From The Cake. when i'm tired, i have less energy to flex my "resistance" muscle and use one of a dozen tools to talk myself out of it.

kaplods
11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Just a comment on the freefeeding for dogs - some dog breeds do not do well on freefeeding. I think this is important because I think the same is true of humans. Some people are born with a different hunger drive than others. Experience also plays a role in hunger, but there are biological and biochemical differences, as well.

For me, I've always thought that I was born without a hunger off-switch. Even after I ate until my stomache hurt, I still felt the urge to eat. I'm learning that carbs, especially concentrated and refined carbs, trigger crazy hunger in me, and a lower carb diet gives me that off-switch.

The why's aren't always important, and other times they can be vital to finding what works.

FB
11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I've never really eaten when not hungry - but have definitely had my share of overeating.

Before switching my life up I would wait until I was crazy mad ravenous and then eat way too much way too quickly, before my brain could register that I was full. It didn't help that I never preplanned and would go to the grocery store or drive-through hungry with my eyes always bigger than my stomach. By that point of hunger I wasn't particular about what I ate - I wanted something easy and fast, so I wasn't exactly eating very healthy!

I was guilty of skipping meals and eating huge amounts just once or twice a day, usually late in the day. Rarely ate breakfast.

I find that eating 5-6x per day really stops this old behavior.

PhotoChick
11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I never preplanned and would go to the grocery store or drive-through hungry with my eyes always bigger than my stomach.Oh I've definitely done that before. Yeah, I used to not eat all day, then go out to dinner and have appetiser, dinner, dessert ... and eat until I couldn't move.

Extasee58865
11-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Boredom is the big one for me. When I was younger, I was always out with friends, never home I never had time to eat. Now I'm married & have no life :-), so I tended to eat just because I had nothing else to do. Learning to control that was the hardest part for me when I started this diet. I have gotten to the point where I usually only eat when I am really hungry, not just because... I was never really much of a binge eater, I just didn't think about what I ate. I had no problem going to McD's and eating a double quarter pounder meal and I didn't think twice about it. Now, I would NEVER eat that! I am aware of what is in it, how much weight I will gain and that if I do eat that, I will not be able to eat anything else for the entire day. Have you thought about seeking professional help to find out where the route of your addiction lies?

AngelMae
11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Boredom is my biggest problem. I try to keep myself as busy as I can, I read, or clean or just do something that occupies my time! :)

SBD Sass
11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Not eating enough causes me to go karazy so I never under eat. I eat between 1700-2000 calories a day just for this reason alone.