Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #1  

Unhappy weight during period?

Hi everyone

I was wondering.... tried searching the boards for typically how much weight people gain/hold onto during their period? I have had an irregular cycle, and mine's not come for a couple of years, and just got it 2 days ago. Saw nearly a 4lbs increase in a matter of days! I was shocked! Hoping for some reassurance that I'm normal please

Thanks
evince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/155/133

Height: 5'3"

That's completely normal! I read somewhere that women can gain between 1-8 lbs around the time of the period - but it's nothing to worry about, it's just a temporary blip!
BlergIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Rest assured - you're normal. You're normal. I've heard of people gaining up to 5 lbs during menstruation. It's water weight. Provided you stick with your plan, when your period is over, the water weight should woosh away with it.

Not that you've asked, but I gotta mention here, I hope you don't mind - have you seen a doctor about your irregular periods? Two years seems like an awfully long time to go without have a period.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I am pretty sure that's normal and people gain even more. Don't forget your body is retaining water. Personally, I weigh myself only twice a month and never immediately prior to or during my period, so I don't know how much I gain. But I will tell you from my experience that my weight can easily go up by 4 pounds between morning and night of the same day (and I am not talking about TOM), even more. That's why I pull the scale out only twice a month because the numbers would otherwise drive me crazy.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #5  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

It's totally normal to gain. Try your best to stay hydrated and you can try and minimize the effects of bit. It also seems that people put on the weight at different times in their cycle and that it comes off at different times. You'll get used to your body and start to know what to expect.

But I strongly agree with rockinrobin that you should see your doctor. If you aren't getting a period every couple of months it can put you at greater risk for a lot of problems later in life. It's definitely something you want to get checked out. I have irregular periods too as a result of a condition I have and thus, if I don't get a period every two months I induce it. It's really something you should get addressed.

Sorry...I know that wasn't part of your question and I hope I didn't overstep my boundaries.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it and it's so reassuring to know that this is normal! Yes, I am seeing someone for my periods, thanks for all your concerns.

Does your exercise regime change at all during your period days?
Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #7  
Carelessy Creative

S/C/G: 211.5/164.3/145

Height: 5'4"

OH man, I was just wondering the EXACT same question today while at work. I am SO unbelievably bloated right now and I can barely get into my jeans. The same jeans that were loose on me yesterday. I really do hope this water weight goes away after that time of the month because the extra three pounds I gained since yesterday is going to drive me insane.

Is there anything I could do after that time of the month that could get rid of the extra water weight or does it just go away along with my period?
shaunabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

It just goes away, typically on day 5, according to Bob Greene, Oprah's diet guru. I've checked and that does seem to be about the day for me. I gained 4 this week. As for exercise routine during, I like to work out MORE! I hope all the exertion will make the cycle shorter - it sure seems that way while i"m working out and it helps immensely with the cramps and overall irritation.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/175/130

Height: 5'1"

I was going to make a post asking about the same thing. Tomorrow is my weigh day and I just started my period two days ago. So I'm scared of what the scale might tell me! Good to know that a small gain is normal!
Tonja81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

I hear ya...I weighed myself on the 2nd day of my period after not weighing myself for almost a month and I was 4 lbs heavier! UGH! Talk about picking the wrong day to do it!!
It's so depressing at times, but then I know that it's bound to happen...
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #11  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I've seen as much as an 8 pound increase during my TOM. It usually goes away by the end of my period, though.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I must be totally weird because I aways retain water during PMS, (the week prior to my period) but the day TOM hits, I'm in the bathroom constantly. By the end of the 1st day of TOM I am back to normal. I'm always so excited to weigh the Friday after TOM hits.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-27-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #13  

It's really great to get all this feedback Thank you!
Does it usually go away after about the 5th day? I'm on the 4th today and it has only subsided by 2lbs... so hoping it'll go down to normal???
Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
It's really great to get all this feedback Thank you!
Does it usually go away after about the 5th day? I'm on the 4th today and it has only subsided by 2lbs... so hoping it'll go down to normal???
I think everyone is a little different, so you'll have to see how it goes for you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #15  

AHH HELP please!

At the start of my period, I went up by 4lbs. Then two days after went down by 2 (I was so relieved)... but now, nearly at the end of my cycle... It's up again! I use a digital scale and how is this possible!!! I am so so scared! Help please?