General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #1  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Default Work & Job Satisfaction

I work at an important art gallery (we have thousands of works by such artists as Picasso, Giacometti, Miro, Basquiat, Calder, etc. as well as some important 19th century works, etc. real museum-quality stuff). Anyway, I went to school and got a BA in art history and found this job right away; it pays pretty well (for an art gallery) and offers me the chance to hob-knob with ALL the snobs (pardon my rhyme). Anyway, it's a job that I thought I would LOVE, but I'm just... bored by it, bored by the pretension, the rich people, the money, the boring events, the false air of importance that circulates, as though we were curing cancer, and just... ugh... working long hours to organize things I couldn't care less about. Anyway, I like my co-workers, but otherwise, i wanna throw myself out the window to escape some days.

I'm in school right now working towards a BA in education (secondary social studies and ESL) and I look forward to the day that I can leave and get a job at a school... even if it will be totally hard to be a teacher, at least it is something I can care about and something that will never be boring or pretentious and it's something that is ACTUALLY IMPORTANT and not important only to 5 people on earth.

But my question is, does anyone in here LOVE their job, or like me, totally HATE it? What do you do and why do you love/hate it? I'm especially interested in hearing from any teachers who have been working for a while and can offer some insights.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

I'm in the business world, and I must say my feelings about my job are an utter rollercoaster. Sometimes I love the money and the travel and the wonderful people I get to know, and other times I'm on the verge of walking out the door because I can't stand the politics and bureaucracy.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Boredom is always a GOOD sign. It means you are growing and becoming more experienced, and thus smarter. Your boredom is a sign that you are up for a new challenge. Is there anything you can take from the experience you've gained at your current job and get a more challenging (and rewarding) job? I am bored at my current office job at a publisher, but I truly believe in my company (we are a billion $$ global leader, and completely ethical). So I've decided to go back to school to get an MBA so that I can stay with my company and climb to a position that is more interesting.
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #4  
Determined to lose!

I was bored with my previous job, but now I'm unemployed and would love even that job back! So watch what you complain about and too whom!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

I don't like my job. Oh money is nice, but it's sucking my will to live.

Shame that the art gallery isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes I wonder what famous living artists really think of all the attention by art-snobs. If I were a famous artist, would I eat it all up? Would I avoid the lime-light? Would I take the rich for as much money as I could get and secretly start the worlds largest squirrel circus on my backyard? Tangent!

I think it's splendid that you're deciding to change what you do since you aren't satisfied. And you may be able to share your experience with your classes. Show them what art's really about. (ie, not money)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I'm a little bored with my job too. I enjoy what I do and I love the people and the company, but I've been doing the exact same job for two years and I'm a little tired of it. I'm taking distance courses to bring up my GPA and meet some prerequisites for the masters program I want to get into. I'll stick it out at my job for another 18 months then hopefully go back to school.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

I love my job most days of the week. I'm a veterinarian...and most days i leave my job feeling rewarded like i've done some good. But trust me, dealing with some clients can make me reconsider my career choice sometimes. I've never understood why people can be patient and wait hrs at the human doctor but when it comes to vets we are suppose to have them in and out in 5 minutes. I actually was shocked...i use to work in an area that was more rural. And usually money was an issue. Now i work in an area where money is usually not an issue. But honestly, i'd rather go back to the rural practice...people there were nicer. I have been yelled at more by people with money than people who could barely afford help for their pet. I've learned a lot from this job.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #8  

I LOVE my job
both of them

1. I am a University Professor and I love it.... I love my students .... I love the engagement and the satisfaction of having my students think about the world differently. I love the participation and academic discussion and the higher level conversation with other faculty. It enriches my day and I learn so much from my students.... it really is enlightening

2. I am a stained glass artist, I sell quite a bit of glass, do a bit of custom work and its fun, and relaxing and quite satisfying to see a design turned into a piece of art.....

I love my jobs
s
36Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #9  

36paws, i would love to see some of your stain glass...i love stain glass
Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #10  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

every day on the way to work i pray for a car accident or a bus to run me over. someone else said sucking their will to live- that is a good description. it's hard though, i make more money then i ever have & starting over somewhere else means less money & i'd like to pay off my bills and go to school some day. but seriously- just thinking about my job makes my stomach hurt and the anxiety sit on my chest like an elephant.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
36paws, i would love to see some of your stain glass...i love stain glass
I posted a few pictures under the crafty chicks thread on this forum.... I also have a website
at http://www.milbroseretrievers.com just go the glassworks page.....

S
Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

36paws~I hope my DD has professors that love the students like you do!! She just started her first year of college. And my brother used to do stained glass as a hobby. He did a beautiful piece (about 6 feet tall by 10 inches wide) and incorporated it into the side lite to the entry door of his new home. It's so unique!

Ok, as for my job. It's boring. I answer the phones (some days it rarely rings), greet anyone who comes in, check in deliveries, manage the PO files, manage the A/R and A/P, check status on orders, and I do anything else that comes up. The actual WORK I do could be done in less than an hour most days. I mostly surf the web because I am here 6-8 hours a day. BUT I own the business (with DH) and love it so much more than my last job (which lasted almost 15 years). I can come and go as I want (which is convenient with kids). I can pretty much set my own time (that's why I leave early now to go to the gym every day!).

What do I miss from my other job? Certainly not the hundreds of phone calls each day, the constant interruption from my employees and co-workers, the numerous emails--all with problems that need immediate attention. I do miss my co-workers, though. Spending 15 years with most of them was fun. The work was hard and it was so stressful being in a huge corporation with all the bureaucratic crap. Life is simpler now and I like it, even if I get bored from time to time!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #13  

very nice stained glass. I need to start doing something crafty...always wanted to do silversmith work. one of these days maybe LOL
Old 08-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
very nice stained glass. I need to start doing something crafty...always wanted to do silversmith work. one of these days maybe LOL
There is alot more that is not dog related but the dog ones especially the flat coats are the ones that usually sell and thats what people want to see..... in my house I have flowers and more design kinds of stuff.....

its a good hobby.... and it supports my "dog habit"

silversmithing sounds like fun.... I want to do a bit of fusing but don't have a kiln at the moment and to be honest am a bit nervous about having a kiln in the house.....

s

Last edited by 36Paws; 08-22-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

Question love it or hate it?

i have mixed feelings.

i LOVE what i get from my job. i get paid very very well. i get little bonuses ( taxed at 43%) for doing a above average job, i have good health insurance, i have access to a more than adequate workout room with a shower/changing area. i get to pick my days/hours worked (from available choices). i have a 401K. i work in a comfortable work environment (air conditioned cube). i get all the breaks requred by law.

i LIKE my customers. they are what they are supposed to be. sometimes mean and nasty, most pleasent and confused and some that are just outstanding in their ability to be a decent human being and allow me to resolve thier issue/problem/concern. they are the reason FOR my job.

i HATE that the company i work for changes the criterion constantly of what IS doing a good job. i have succeeded in being able to adapt to the changes but it wears on my nerves that what i do today was excellent work 6 months ago but today is adequate. raising the bar is the path to excellence but this company borders on the ridiculous.

but i do like the compnay as a whole and i am also "getting itchy" so i know that after 3+ years in the same position, it is time to move to another (more responsible) position.
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote