Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #16  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxulcmnky View Post
Thanks! i won't start with running... once it's healed and i can get back into the gym, i will be doing walking for ~1 week or so until i get into my groove and know i won't be doing damage...
Good plan. I hope it heals fast! My mail lady just had knee replacement and she says she's never felt better, but it's taken a while.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #17  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

ya... i'm just having the scope thing. they say the healing time is pretty fast for it
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/222/140

Height: 5'2''

Talking newbie C25k

Hi ladies,
Can I join you? I just did my first c25k workout today. W1D1. It went well and I feel pretty good.
I am so glad to find this thread. I looked around on line and just felt a little out of place on other sites because I seem to be alot slower than other folks.
A little about me. I just turned 40 last week. It's been a challenging birthday, and had me reflecting about what the next half of my life would be like. About ten years ago I ran(really jogged) a half marathon. I used to love the way I felt after a run and I want that feeling back. So I've decided to train for a 5k. I do not know if I eventually want to run a half marathon again, I just know I want to feel vital, strong, and tough

So I got my new running shoes and have started the journey-
bring it on!
Pamela
Pamela40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #19  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Hey Pamela! & a Belated

Of course you can join us the more the merrier!!!! I think we are all looking forward to having knockout legs again!!! hehe!

I DESPARATELY need me some new running shoes! I may have to stop until this happens in a week or so. My right foot hurts from yesterday, and my left shin splint hurts.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #20  

Thanks Roni for the welcome.

I know what you mean about the shoes. I went to a running store and they fitted me. It was pretty cool- they had me take off my shoes, look at my feet and then watched me walk. I guess the type of shoe you need is determined by how flat your arches are and how much your feet roll inward(pronating). Since I am heavier, I assumed my feet would roll inward alot, but apparently not I tried on a few shoes and the one's I picked- Saucony Pro grid are awesome!! Very cushiony.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #21  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Count me in as well I am on week six day two today but after I finish up my first nine weeks i will be doing another. I have been doing great with this program and I def see an improvement from week one to now!!!!!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #22  

Glad you can join us Matilda-
Wow, all the way to week 6- good for you. Any advice for a newbie? I am on a rest day and tommorow is w1d2. Hopefully it will go well.

Just wanted to share with everyone a conversation I had with my dh last night. I was telling him about my first day of c25k and that I felt good about it, but realized I was going slow. I told him I was walking at 3.5mph and running at 4mph and that at that speed my heart rate shot up to 165. Now I know that is pretty high for me and I was not going to go any faster because I dont want to have a heart attack! So he says to me " hmm, 4 mph- thats not very fast, should n't you be going 6mph." Now mind you my dh is not an athelete and he is carrying around at least 60-70 extra pounds. I said to him " have you ever tried running 6mph". After a silence he said no- that he walks at 3.2 mph. Ha- I told him next time we are at the health club I was going to put him on a treadmill and put it on 6mph and see how long he lasts.

He is usually pretty encouraging, but I think he has no idea how challenging this is.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #23  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela40 View Post
Glad you can join us Matilda-
Wow, all the way to week 6- good for you. Any advice for a newbie? I am on a rest day and tommorow is w1d2. Hopefully it will go well.

Just wanted to share with everyone a conversation I had with my dh last night. I was telling him about my first day of c25k and that I felt good about it, but realized I was going slow. I told him I was walking at 3.5mph and running at 4mph and that at that speed my heart rate shot up to 165. Now I know that is pretty high for me and I was not going to go any faster because I dont want to have a heart attack! So he says to me " hmm, 4 mph- thats not very fast, should n't you be going 6mph." Now mind you my dh is not an athelete and he is carrying around at least 60-70 extra pounds. I said to him " have you ever tried running 6mph". After a silence he said no- that he walks at 3.2 mph. Ha- I told him next time we are at the health club I was going to put him on a treadmill and put it on 6mph and see how long he lasts.

He is usually pretty encouraging, but I think he has no idea how challenging this is.
HA! Whatever! I see you are short like me. Peeps with short little legs simply can't go as fast as our longer legged friends. Not in the beginning anyways. I started off walking at 3.0 and running at 3.5. I have worked up to anywheres from 4.0 to 5.0 depending on the day, and I think thats pretty cool.

I have shin splints. I tried not going as fast today but I just aggravated the situation, so I am going to have to just walk it until I can get me some new shoes, then I'll pick back up on Week 2. It is VERY hard for me NOT to run at least a little. O'well.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #24  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

I'm getting ready to start, I'm really excited! My 3rd child is 4 weeks old today and I'm excited about starting to work out again. I'll be running inside on the treadmill since taking the 4 year old, 2 year old and babe with me running sounds like a nightmare.

I'll need to clean and lubricate my treadmill belt first (thanks to a kid-caused sticky drink incident!) and the stuff to do that gets here tomorrow, I've been stalking UPS keeping track of it. I'll probably do a few days of walking first just to get used to moving again.

Can't wait to join you all!
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #25  

Good for you. Wow 3 kids, you have your hands full. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #26  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

hEY GIRLS! My advise would be to take it one day at a time and you will make it through it gets earier as you go along and try to keep tract of your distance which you will more than likely see a change once you make it past your first few weeks. Some days after a jog I feel so refresed!!!!!! And coming from a person like me that use to really hate working out thats great...LOL
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #27  

Hey all,
Completed w1d2 today. I decided to slow down the walking part and felt like I was able to recover from the jogs easier. So far so good, not too many aches or pains- crossing my fingers it will stay that way. How is everyone else doing?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #28  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

I'm bummed because I want to be doing week 2 but I have the shin splints. I hope to be getting some new running shoes very soon. I am also going to focus more on stretching before and for a longer period after. Anyways, new shoes or not, Monday I'll be doing Week 2 again.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #29  

Roni,
How are your shins feeling? I know shin splints can be pretty painful. So far my shins are fine, but my right hip aches a little- weird huh- makes me feel old.
I agree about the stretching- I am stretching before and after the workout. I am going to try w1d3 tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #30  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

I had hip problems at first too.I was told it was bursitis or maybe calcium deposits, but since I've lost 20 lbs it doesn't bother me so much.

The shins are feeling a lil' better. Still tender. I walked on the TM today enuff to get the heart rate up and did 3.1 miles and so far so good. I hope to be able to start back running on Monday. I was giving my friends a hard time for running in front of me. lol