PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 06:22 PM   #1  

Angry PCOS/low-carb/what to do.....

Just wanted to thank everyone for their continued support and SO glad this forum is here for us. As far as I know this is the only weight loss forum that addresses PCOS and how to SURVIVE and OVERCOME it!! Here's an update of what is going on with me, how about everyone else. I'm curious to hear how everyone is doing!!

I went to the doctors this week (the Endocronologist) for my regular 2 month check-in. As you know, the last time he had me eat 1200-1400 calories (I still counted pts). After doing that for almost 2 months, I had GAINED 1.2lbs. I was totally disappointed. I mean I expected something.

I had been tracking in an Excel type of worksheet, every day, my weight, WW pts, calories, carbs, fat and protein totals. I showed the nurse my printout and she was impressed, told her how Sam went on the "diet" with me to support me and she too agreed it was too low for him, but appreciated the fact that he was TRYING to help me.

Doctor was a bit surprised to see that I had gained too, I think. He told me with the PCOS that it will be 3-4X harder for me to lose than a "regular" person. Told me that if I wanted to lose weight I was going to have to fight tooth and nail for it. He also told me, I'll never have the luxury of eating a 2500 calorie day, not even one day, because it will cause me to gain. Told me my body will get used to 1400 calories and basically I'll probably never get to eat above that if I want to maintain the loss that I have made already.

He LOVED the printout I gave him. Couldn't believe I'd list the Calories/Fat/Carbs/Protein. He poured over it, circled items and asked lots of questions and wanted me to explain to him, what I ate on what days. I averaged about: 1300 calories, about 200 carbs, 45 grams of fat and 45 grams of protein.

He commented that he definitely wants me to change a few things and try something a bit different. He wants me to stick with the calorie level, thought it was good. "Just try to stick to no more than 1400" was his comment. Eat no more than 150 carbs (he's never supported extreme low-carbing), not more than 35-40 fat grams and increase my protein. I average about 45-50grams a day and that I "should" be eating around 70grams for my weight. I'm still working on and wondering how I'm going to eat low-fat, low-calorie, lower carb and higher protein.

I told him, I'd been drinking a lot of decaf tea with Equal. I asked him what about the scare of eating to much Equal. He said "Well, I guess if you stuffed the equivalent of 20 pkts of Equal down the throat of a rat, it might affect it". Then he said "Do you eat 20 pkts at one sitting?" LOL I'm going to have to try and find some recipes to substitute the Equal for the sugar. Said to maintain eating it in moderation and he brought up the thing he said before about eating/drinking even something good for you, that too much can be harmful. Water is an essential thing in our lives, but too much of that will cause Hyponatremia (just like too much of anything - including the Equal can be bad). Freaks out the sodium levels, and washes out necessary nutrients. Said up to 2 gallons a day at my weight is fine, but nothing more and as I lose, I should be careful. Told me all the symptoms of it. It was very interesting. Learn to eat/live everything in moderation.

He did tell me that PCOS can cause low HDL levels. He went ahead and did a lipid screen, as I haven't had one done in a year. Said I'd need to increase my protein to prevent that (he even explained how that works, not that I can remember or unstood it totally). The lady yesterday, not only hurt me, digging for a vein, but left a huge bruise and a lump on my arm. Never had a lump before.

He wants me to take Xenical. It's $116 a month, because of course, insurance doesn't pay for me to "cosmetically enhance my body" by losing weight, after all, there would be NO health benefits at all to losing. I'm not sure we can afford that. He gave me 20 days worth. The receptionist at the doctors office has been using it and other than "oily stools," she's had NO problems at all (I've been taking it a day and half and had no trouble). She said she doesn't even count fat grams, just eats a balanced diet. If she's going to eat at, say McDonalds, she doesn't take a pill. She did say that is does stay in your system, but I'm not going to poop my pants or anything, if I skip a pill that meal. She's lost about 20lbs in 3 months from using it, without dieting.

OK, I know I don't HAVE to do this disclaimer but I will. My doctor wasn't trying to be negative at all with me. He has GREAT expectations with me, cause I always do what he says. Says I'm one of the few patients that really DOES try. But sometimes in extreme cases, you do what you have to do to "force" a disfunctional body to be functional.

There was an ice storm up in Indy (we didn't know it was as bad as it was, or we would have canceled my appointment). He couldn't believe the dedication....that I would drive up in that bad of weather (we're talking cars upside down on the way to the doctors office). I think I may be nuts. LOL

So I guess that's it. I'm going to go over and surf around the sugar busters, although I'm not really doing SB, I'm hoping to get some tips, recipes and support over there.

Yvonne
Old 03-28-2002, 07:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Exclamation Wow!!

Thanks for the information! You are doing wonderful on your plan, it's so discouraging that you haven't lost anything. 1400 a day is it? Ever? I'm sorry!! But, maybe when you get the PCOS more under control then you will be able to increase some. What a day for you! Good luck at it!
Closed Thread