Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #1  
Growing in Christ

Default Cheese lovers.... I need help!

I really enjoy cheese, especially sharp cheddar.

Has anyone found a good lower-fat cheese that still tastes like cheese??? Most *diet* cheese I have ever tried tasted like plastic, cardboard, or nothing at all! I would like to find something that gets me a little more for 5 pts though! An ounce of sharp cheddar isn't very much!

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2002, 04:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Cabot makes a pretty good reduced fat cheese. Two points for an ounce. I've found it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:12 PM   #3  
si, si signora

kraft's cracker barrel makes an extra sharp light that you used to get in canada.

the best one I've seen on the market, though cabot is also pretty good.

or: you may want to just use half the amount of cheese and go with the real stuff.

lala
Old 03-27-2002, 05:20 PM   #4  
Bono Fanatic!

Default I am a HUGE cheese lover!

and I swear by Kraft 2% cheese. The shredded stuff comes in sharp cheddar and it is great. I have to eat cheese every day, so it was very important to me to find something that was close enough to real cheese to satisfy me. Now, when I use regular cheese (and I sometimes do) in a recipe, I find it to be too greasy.

Give it a try!
Old 03-27-2002, 08:05 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Spend the points on the real stuff. 1 ounce is only 3 points.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:27 PM   #6  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

I get really strong flavored real cheese and use half the amount. One thing I like to do is to grate it really fine. Then a little can be spread out over a hamburger, for example, and I taste it in every bite, which is what I'm after.

Lin
Old 03-28-2002, 07:40 AM   #7  
Growing in Christ

Hey all,

Thanks for the suggestions... I"ll look for those mentioned, and shredding it is a great idea for my salads.... 1 oz would go farther that way.

Kel, I thought 1 oz of American was 3 pts, but 1 oz of the cheddar was 5 pts. Is that not right????

Thanks again!!!!

173/157/156 first mini/105ish final
Old 03-28-2002, 10:22 AM   #8  

Default Cheese Rules

I actually just had an ounce of Colby Jack and it was 3 points (110 C, 9 grams of Fat). Regular hard or semisoft cheese is 3 points per ounce, light is usually 2, and fat free is usually 1.

I find that a one ounce slice or chunk of cheese is more than you might think. It's a perfect snack, to me. Of course, I'm still on the high end of the points range, so maybe it won't seem as worth it when I'm getting less points per day.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:29 AM   #9  
Bono Fanatic!

Angry

Yeah, when you are a huge cheese lover on 18-23 points a day, every point you can save helps! Now I would never eat fat free, but I swear that the 2% cheese is great! There are days when I have at least 2 servings of cheese, so the points saved by choosing the lower fat version is important to me....
Now, if I could stick to eating just one serving at a time, maybe I could eat the regular cheese, but that will probably never happen!
Old 03-28-2002, 03:50 PM   #10  

i get really high flavor cheeses, like pepper jack. That way, I need a whole lot less for a lot of flavor with my quesadillas. Mmmm. Only problem I ran into, was that the last bit molded cuz I didn't eat it fast enough. Heh.

Try going to Whole Foods...they have a lot of cheeses, some are vegetarian/vegan...I had an almond milk cheese that was good..

Of course, you can always get teh Kraft FF singles...for 1pt per slice it's good. The only problem with them, is when they melt...they almost have a sticky texture, but I guess that is processed cheese for you.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:58 PM   #11  
si, si signora

fizzydrink-
kraft ff slices are a miracle adhesive . Nasty stuff, but sometimes, a grilled american cheese sandwich is a must.

lala
Old 04-02-2002, 10:47 AM   #12  

Kraft Pepperjack 2% is terrific, and is still just one point like their FF (which I don't like, as Lala said, they're like glue.) A grilled cheese sandwich with butter spray and lf wheat bread for 2 pts is a real treat.

Zyliss makes a wonderful crank grater that works on Parmesan and other hard cheeses, and a counter model that includes other drums (slicer, fine grater, reg. grater). Have bought other brands of graters and been disappointed, but these are terrific. A little Parm/Reggiano, finely grated, goes a long way! I keep the grater inside a plastic sack w/the cheese in it, in the fridge, and use a little at a time on salads, veggies, and pasta. hth, Jan
Old 04-03-2002, 11:26 PM   #13  

Default I just discovered an awesome cheese

It's pretty expensive, like $5 for a small container (about 4 servings), but it is SO GOOD and only one point a serving. It's called Boursin, and they just came out with a light version. Basically, it's soft cheese, similiar in consistency to cream cheese, and it's flavored with garlic and various other spices. It's pretty sharp and extremely yummy.

1 and 2/3 Tbsp works out to one point. I don't have the exact measurement with me, but I think it's like 50C and 3.5 fat grams. I have that and 4 lowfat triscuits for a great, 2 point snack.

I found this in the "fancy" cheese section in Meijer, in front of the deli and such. It's on sale there this week, and I can't recommend it enough!
Old 04-04-2002, 12:03 PM   #14  

Laughing Cow makes a nice soft spreadable cheese that comes in individually wrapped wedges... I think there's 8 in the round package. They have regular and low fat, which is only 1 pt an oz, I think. It really is quite good... quite creamy, which I found surprizing.

Christine
Old 04-04-2002, 04:32 PM   #15  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

I agree,
Laughing Cow Light on a white cheddar corn cake by Quaker
is a 2point snack that seems to have both crunch and holding power.
Good luck everybody
219/lower
Closed Thread