Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 06:30 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 and 60 year olds #171

G'day all,

There are many sites out there, these were some of the ones that I thought were the most interesting.

http://www.nof.org/

National Osteoporosis site. Seems to be a lot of information but also an opportunity to ask questions via email and to receive some expert advice.
The month of May is National Osteoporosis month

http://www.osteofound.org/

This is a very informative site, gives different treatment options, a quiz to complete that will tell you if you are at risk etc.etc. too many excellent articles to list. Definite worth a look around.

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/vitd.html

some interesting facts on Vitamin D and what foods supply are a natural source of Vitamin D

http://www.virtualhealthinfo.com/supp/vitamin_d.htm

This comes close to answers on 'what if you cannot take vitamin D', again a very interesting site.

http://www.focusonallergies.com/script/main/hp.asp

this site is very exstensive and deals primarily with allergies, whilst I didn't find a specifice reference to Vitamin D, I did find the articles 'why we have allergies' interesting

I have certainly learned quite a bit trying to find these different sites. I will definitely try and arrange to have a bone density test done in the near future.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 03-20-2002 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:19 PM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Default Happy Birthday Maria!

Trudy: Im doing that already to. Started at the Gym a few months ago. ANd I am using the weight machines. Always drank milk by the truck loads and took calcuim Supplements to. So hopefully it will make a difference. ALAS.......

Maria: Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! You can still be 56. Heck Im still 39

Glenda: I am taking Vicativ right now. Twice a day. Is that what you are taking about? Cuz they are good! I didnt buy The Vitamin D ones. Last time I took Calcium with Vit D in it I broke out like crazy.

Ann: I will look in to the Bone Health.

Slavika: Your discription of you was priceless! I am making those muffins this weekend. They sound so good! Sound like they will be really moist to.

Peggy: Spend that 300$! You earned it. Your gonna find lots of bargins.

Wow Thanks Maria! These sites look great! Off to read!
Old 03-21-2002, 06:57 AM   #3  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIA!!! Have a wonderful day! I hope your dh doesn't have any problems traveling. What an interesting dinner you had. I love a true Southern accent. My niece used to live outside of Atlanta. Time to get ready to shop. Have a great day. Peggy
Old 03-21-2002, 09:41 AM   #4  
Net browser

Default ...Maria's Day

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIA

I hope you have a wonderful birthday. Talk to you later.
Love Slavika.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:02 PM   #5  

I shopped till I dropped today. I hit a lot of stores and finally made it the Saks 5th Avenue Outlet. Nothing interesting there. At Value City {I like all the bargain stores} I got a lot of Liz shirts for hardly any money. The same tee that I paid $30 for last year was $7 there. I finally found a dress. It is navy and banana {cream} and has a jacket. It is a knit and very classic and will stay in style for a long time. There are some really ugly clothes out there. It was gorgeous when I left and now we are having snow flurries. Have a fun day,
Old 03-21-2002, 06:11 PM   #6  

G'day all,

Thank you for the good wishes. DH did end up getting home quite late last night so we just had a late supper and a bottle of red wine

We went to bed and I had only just dozed off when I heard dh's mobile phone beep, I thought his battery was going flat and knew it would then beep all night I went to check it and there was a text message from dd. She 'text' just to let us know she was feeling very homesick, loved us heaps and just felt the need to tell us I then wondered what had brought it on and had a sleepless night thinking about it. I rang her this morning and, no nothing was wrong but she just felt homesick and wanted to ring but thought 11.45pm was too late and 'text' us instead
Kids, don't you just love 'em
To cheer her up further I told her about an evening dh and I have planned for when they are here after Easter.

(http://www.sydneyshowboats.com.au/ )

She was very excited and cannot wait to get here. Her birthday is on Monday and luckily dh just happens to be in Melbourne for her birthday. The trip to sydney is her birthday present but I came across the most beautiful teapot that was reduced from $300 to $150, still a lot but I did save $150
I am sure all of us bargain hunters will understand!

Peggy your outfit sounds lovely, 'my' colours

I'll check in later this afternoon.......

See ya
Maria
Old 03-21-2002, 08:40 PM   #7  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I had a very productive day today. I painted my bathroom. It actually took two coats, so although the bathroom is not that large, by the time you get everyting masked and covered and then paint, it took a bit of time. Then of course, there is the clean up. I'm happy, because it's done. So far it is white with nothing added. I am getting the flooring and the new fixtures in, next Thursday, then I will decide if I will do more to the walls or just make use of coloured towels, and things. The ceramic tile that I "thought" was white with a gold pattern on it, is not as white as my new walls, but I think it will all come together.
Peggy I wish we has some of those nice outlet stores near us but Alas we do not. I like shirts too. My son goes to New York quite often, and I think they have a lot of good buys in the garment district. He never really gets time to look around much when he's there though.
Maria that's nice that your DH made it home even if it was a bit late.
Trudy is still having trouble with her server but hopefully everything will be ok sometime tomorrow.
She had her hair cut last Tuesday (a little shorter) and it sure did look nice. Lily by all means, make the muffins, I know you will enjoy them and they freeze beautifully. I took two out of the freezer this morning and had one at breadfast and another as dessert at lunch. I really like them. "Talk" to you all tomorrow. Night. :sheep:
Old 03-22-2002, 12:06 PM   #8  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: Sounds like you found some super bargins! Cant beat 7$ Your dress sounds really pretty to

Maria: That was sweet of your DD. Your easter Evening sounds fun! The sunset view was really nice. We have done that before and it is alot of fun. You will all enjoy it. She will love her teapot to Thanks again for all the great sites. They were all very helpful.

Slavika: Sounds like you are hard at work on your bathroom. Painting does take alot. Soon it will be all done and beautiful! Wouldnt it be nice if it could all be done in 1 day? But ALAs that never happens. We need to get busy painting some rooms to. Need to to the outside, but I think DH is gonna hire someone for that. At least I hope so. Dont mind doing the inside, but out, I dont think so!

Going to rain this weekend. Alas.....wanted to spend time outside. Wish spring would come. It does for a minute then it goes away again.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:43 PM   #9  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Maria are you going to take your DD on a dinner cruise or lunch cruise? I didn't spend too much time looking around the web site. Are they planning something special for over Easter? My grandbabies are out of school now. Their Mom had to go to teacher/parent meeting with the Princess but not the Prince. I think the kids are present one time but not the next. She dropped my grandson off at my place and he and I went grocery shopping together. When we were all done with our jobs, DIL treated us to brunch at Perkins. It was nice and we all enjoyed ourselves.
When I got home I installed my new light fixture in the bathroom. I had never installed one before, but figured I could probably do it. My Father had shown me how to install electrical outlets (seems like a million years ago). He told me then, "MAKE SURE POWER IS OFF". I decided that was probably the most important thing. LOL LOL . Well I got it all connected and I have lights, so I guess I did it right.

Lily I didn't mind too much painting the bathroom, but I sure wouldn't want to do a BIG painting job either. Our back entrance really needs painting, but I think I will hire someone and maybe get the TV room at the same time.
Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:16 PM   #10  
Net browser

Default ....Palm Sunday

Hi Everybody Where is everybody? I feel like I am talking to myself.
I don't have to leave for church for a bit so thought I would come here and read and ALAS there was nothing to read.
I don't drink coffee, but my friend saved me 6 big coffee cans during the past year and yesterday I made 6 Easter breads in them, called "Paska". It's a sweet bread with raisins in it. Trudy gave me her Mom's recipe and I may make a couple more using her recipe. Her Mom's calls for "saffron" which makes the bread a pale yellow colour and also gives it a very nice flavour. I bought Saffron yesterday, and it's like gold. LOL They don't even keep it on the supermarket shelves, you have to go to customer services and get it. It costs $5.00 for 1 gram.
Please post, so I have something to read.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:02 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Where is everyone I am a bit like Slavika and expected some posts to read but everyone must be having a very busy weekend.

My weekend was OK, one of those weekends that dh gave me the 'poops', thought he was very selfish.
We went shopping on Saturday and unless we look at the latest electronic gadgets like plasma screens, DVD players etc. etc. everything else is a waste of time I found a terrific clothes outlet for one of the better brands and we agreed that I had a look around there whilst he went elsewhere. He then 'lost' me because he forgot which shop I was in I didn't have my mobile phone so he couldn't ring and find out where I was.
Then yesterday we went to a furniture show which again he just wasn't interested in, so was an absolute pain in the neck
He is off to Melbourne for a couple of days, I will enjoy watching the academy awards by myself tonight
On Tuesday night we are going to the Opera House to see Russian dancers and singers, hopefully he (or me )is in a better mood by then.

Short week this week with Easter coming up

Will check in later today........
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 03-24-2002 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:11 PM   #12  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Maria so, dh gave you the "POOPS" this weekend. LOL LOL I will certainly have to remember that word for when I need it.
As Maria is fond of saying, here is a bit of useless trivia for you.
Did you gals know, that on Palm Sunday, Ukrainian Catholic's very often get "kitty willows" instead of palms in church. Now I think the reason for this is, because there were not too many palm trees growing in Ukraine, LOL and the first signs of spring must have been the kitty willows. In the "olden days" when you left the church with your kitty willow you tapped your friends on their shoulders with it. When they objected to you hitting them, you said, "it is not I that is hitting you, it is the kitty willow". Of course you said it in Ukrainian. You have to wonder how some customs even get started. Maria, I plan on watching the Academy Awards tonight too, although I don't think I have seen any of the movies that are nominated for the awards.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:47 PM   #13  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: No kidding Saffon is like gold. I bought it once and almost choked at the cost. It is good if you can afford to buy it! The bread sounds good! Thats an interesting tradition! Are you going to do that next week?

Maria: Love that saying! Dh giving you the Poops
Mine does that quite often The russian dancers sounds like it will be fun!

Been busy this week end. We went for a long drive today. Was nice to get out and about. Still rainy here tho. Wonder if spring will ever come and stay for a while. We are trying to decide where to go for Vacation this year. Cant decide if its back to Hawaii or up to Canada. Banf (?) Is that how you spell it?

Best get to bed and watch some of the Oscars.

Later!
Old 03-25-2002, 07:30 AM   #14  

I know that I posted after reading about Slavika doing electrical work. I was so impressed that she could do that. It must have gone into cyberspace. Maria I love it. Poops! I must remember that. When we go to something, my dh walks real fast and hardly stops to look at anything unless it is some tool or something boring. I would rather go by myself. He cut his arm on a mitre saw Friday and so we spent the afternoon in the ER. He was lucky and only got 5 stitches. It is amazing that it hardly bled and didn't cut into anything major. It just missed the bone. We went to a wedding Saturday. It was nice. Yesterday we went to breakfast with son and dil and went to see the house they hope to buy if they sell the one they have. They are on the east side of town and this one is even out farther. Hope that are able to get it even though it will mean work for us. They have 2 dogs and they will need to fence the yard in. It can only be split rail and then will have to have wire run inside it. Slavika I like the kitty willows better than the palms. I have never heard that before. I have been making Easter buckets out of those big cans. I spray them white and then sponge some white arcrylic paint over it to look textured. I paint a bunny face on it and put big felt ears on it. I drill 2 holes on each side and put wire on for a handle. Then I wrap the wire with different colored check gingham. Fill with a pretty grass. They are cute and sell like crazy. I also make them for Halloween and Christmas. They are cute for Christmas to give baked goods in. I have friends who work in school cafeterias and they save the cans for me. See you all later, Peggy
Old 03-25-2002, 11:23 AM   #15  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: My my, you DH was very lucky! Glad he wasnt cut to bad. Pretty scary!
Your buckets sound adorable. I bet they are good sellers. Would be great for any hoilday. Wish I was crafty. But Alas Im not.

Later all! Must earn my $1.00 for the day
Closed Thread