Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #1  

Default staying out of ketosis

I have had a lot of issues lately about not being able to stick to a diet and it has been worse since in the last year I was diagnosed with pcos and some autoimmune stuff I've been depressed and just gaining and gaining. I have been counting calories and still haven't been able to lose. I went to the Dr the other day and she doesn't really want me to have bariatric surgery yet because of some bipolar issues-I have facial twitches brought on by a medicine and it's looking permanent so anyway ISSUES! She told me I must do low carb and said that I need to do it low enough but to try not to go in full ketosis because of my health issues. She said like phase 2 of atkins ongoing weight loss would be good. Anyone have any suggestions on what they think would be a good amount of carbs to avoid ketosis but lose weight. I'm all the way up to 480 so I have a lot of weight to lose so I don't want to start to high in carbs.
Thanks for any info.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Yikes! you poor baby. It is hard since she told you to look at atkins because what it really does is add five carbs at a time after the intiail 20 carb per day induction phase. Has she explained why Ketosis would impact you negatively. What does she mean by full ketosis? I think it would be beneficial for you to ask her how may carbs a day she thinks you should have and how many of those carbs should be derived from salads and other low carb vegtables (as opposed to having you just shoot for a number that might include empty calories and carbs that won't fuel you). Sorry to be vague. I think the Dr. needs to give you some more guidance and then have you shoot for that for a few weeks while monitoring. Nothing screws up a plan faster than not really having a plan. Chin up though. I would start by figuring out how many carbs you eat right now and trying to cut it down by at least 1/2. Then you will be ahead of the game. By no means to I recommend just using that as a plan but it will allow you to focus on something until you can get back the the Dr. and get a clear understanding of what she recommends.

My positive mojo thoughts are with you.

SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with scalmie that you should get your doc to try to be more specific with you about what she thinks you should do but there are a couple of other programs you might want to look at if you feel like you need "a program" to follow. One is Protein Power. You eat 40 grams of carb, plus a protein minimum based on your lean body mass from day one until you are within a few pounds of your goal weight. Some people would be in ketosis at 40 grams, but a lot of people would not be.

The other is a not well known diet called The Four Corners Diet. The Four Corners involve several foundations of healthy eating and they try to ease you into this during your first week. It restricts you to 50 grams of carbs/day. It has some unusual requirements such as eating probiotics (yogurt or kefir) everyday, getting half your fat from monounsaturated sources, etc. It is hard to find a fault with the nutritional design of this diet but some people find getting it all together a little bit difficult. Again, not many people would be in ketosis at 50 grams. Those are some suggestions if you want to look into particular low carb approaches other than Atkins that are not likely to put you in ketosis.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

hugs and good luck. you got some good advice!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #5  

I thought of another suggestion for you. There is a book called Livin the Low Carb Life by Jonny Bowden. Jonny Bowden is a well known and well respected nutritionist. In it he goes over the basics of low carbing and reviews about a dozen low carb and what I would call low glycemic diets (based on the glycemic index rather than restricting to a certain number of carbs). He gives the diets a rating of 1-5 stars based on how well organized, easy to follow, and their nutritional soundness. You would be able to get an overview of several different diets and make your own decision. It's not a very big book and it is easy to read. This is how I originally chose protein power for myself. One of my goals was to stay out of ketosis too. I tried Atkins once many years ago and ketosis made me a little crazy. An experience I didn't want to repeat. Jonny gives Protein Power 5 stars and Four Corner 4 stars. Four Corners used to be known as the GO diet-named after it's authors. It's been renamed.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Carrie,

What you have described is exactly what burns my butt about Dr's! Hmmm...lets see, she tells you to do Atkins phase 2 On Going Weightloss BUT, "try not to go into full ketosis" Then she gives you no further information how she expects you to achieve this!

Well...first of all, Atkins is a ketogenic diet...meaning it is high fat, adequate protein. Because you drastically restrict carbs, you force your liver to convert the fat you are eating into fatty acids & ketones. This process is known as ketosis. Since everyone is different, while I might be in ketosis eating 40 carbs a day...you might be in ketosis eating more or less. And as far as your Dr. telling you to try not to go into "full ketosis"...thats like saying you might be a little bit diabetic...you either are or you aren't.

You've gotten good advice here. You might want to consider a plan like South Beach (not necessarily a low carb plan), Protein Power, Schwarzbein, Eat Fat, Get Thin By Dr. Barry Groves, The Zone, Sugar Busters. Do your own research since your Dr. seems very vague. While I personally have done tremendously on Atkins...if ketosis is an issue for you, I personally would avoid Atkins. You could always find another Dr. or consult a nutritionist familiar with low carb eating plans

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-14-2008 at 09:39 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #7  

Carrie-whatever plan you chose, feel free to make yourself at home here. There are lots of great people, wonderful support. Feel free to ask questions, people will try to help you out. There is a thread to post your daily menu if that would be helpful and a general chat thread as well. We look forward to getting to know you better and supporting you on your journey.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #8  

I don't really have any low-carb suggestions for you, but I wanted to share with you how I finally began to lose weight. I have been overweight since I was 9 yrs. old and had tried diet after diet. I would always start my diet on MONDAY and if I ate one single thing non-diet food wise..it was over. Well I did this all the way up to 383. I was in alot of pain..mentally and physically. I stumbled onto a book called The Weigh Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin. Please get a copy of this book...and I would even be willing to send you a copy if you would PM me your address. I have a few extra that are NOT NEW, but this book helped me so much I always pick it up when I see it at thrift stores/garage sales. It is a biblical based book that teaches you to feel TRUE hunger and stop when you are full. What a concept? But I know after reading this book something clicked with me and I don't think I will ever re-gain my weight.

The other suggestion is to try and focus on CLEAN foods. The book SuperFoods RX..Fourteen Foods that will change your life is FABULOUS for learning you GOOD, PROPER nutrition. It would be great for you to figure out a reference point of daily foods, such as I try to aim for 10 DIFFERENT superfoods every day...with added protein at my meals. Good sources of protein are Omega-3 eggs, salmon, tuna, lean turkey and chicken. Black beans are so filling and good at dinner, because I find that it fills me up.

I wish you the BEST! Remember you are a STAR in this great big world..so SHINE!!! You deserve to be healthy and happy! Let us know how you are doing!
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #9  

Thank you all for so much help I know it was vague advice! That seems to be all I get form Dr's I've chosen Protein Power I actually had the book since I have so many diet books. I think she's mostly worried about the ketosis because of my hypoglycemia but in everything I've read it shouldn't hurt me. I'm going to try to go to a good nutritionist my insurance is in the process of making some changes after July 1st so I'll have access to some different dr's.
And Skinny4Baby I'll pm you that looks like a helpful suggestion for me.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Good for you!!!! I have a great feeling that you will succeed!

SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote