Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Wink It's official...I am a loser! ;)

Funny how being a loser has a whole new meaning in this forum!

I had my 2 week post-op visit today and my weightloss is officially 20.2 lbs in 2 weeks...Woohoo! Pinch me, am I dreaming???

I am up to a mile of walking a day, 5 mins on the eliptical and 10 mins of weight lifting. I did my legs so I wouldn't hurt my torso, though my doc said any exercise would be fine.

I had my first post-op meal of solid food, it was FABULOUS! The food was OK, I love to cook, I have just changed my recipes, it was just nice to chew something and feel a different kind of full.

Now I have to talk about something. I am having a time with being able to except compliments...I get so uncomforable! I went to the support group today and people were saying I "sparkle" and "you're 41? You don't look a day over 30!" When I was at the gym day before last, the Trainer was saying something simular. I just can't get past it. I say thank you and turn and run as soon as it is socially exceptable. I don't know what to do. I will bring it up to my counselor....maybe she can help me figure a way to be able to just say thank you.

Anyway, have quite a document here. Thanks for listening...

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 02-19-2008 at 12:48 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Oh Ange!!

That is greatest feeling in the world, too lose the weight and know it is gone for good. Take things slow and easy my dear! But, good for you on the exercise.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #3  

cheese louise, angela...of course you sparkle! and....do you know why you sparkle? it is because you have this little secret voice inside that is screaming...'holy crap! i had weight loss surgery and it might really work!' now that, bar any major complications is enough to make anyone sparkle... and shine and even perhaps have an obnoxious.. ain't i the 'cat's meow' type moment.

but you do bring up an interesting point in having a hard time handling compliments. i remember a gal who once stated no matter what she weighed, she was a fat girl and would always think like a fat girl. alot of fat girls don't think they are good enough and not worthy of sparkle. wrong, but that's the way alot of us feel. and heck, compliments when we feel tarnished don't come very often. so, when the compliments come...keep up what you are doing in being polite and full of grace and smiling and thanking although what you really might FEEL like doing is smacking the person upside the head and saying, ' what are you nuts? me sparkle? babe, up your meds!'.... cause angela....you are sparkling!

all the best,
peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #4  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

when i was 14 my mom put me in weight watchers cause she said i was an embarrassment to her. i was only 180 and 5-6 then. now i am 5'7 and 348. i wish i was 180 now. (hopefully in a couple of years i will be )) anyway, i met my husband who went on to be my hssh and we have now been together for 16 years. he use to compliment me all the time and tell me all kinds of things like beautiful, sexy and after a while i got tired of saying whatever and now i own it. i will walk through here but naked and be beaming with pride. it is cause i believe i am that beautiful sexy person that he sees. so hopefully after hearing it enough you will own it and believe it in your heart!
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Default Yes Own it Girl!

Like Misty said "Own it Girl". Enjoy the feeling and the compliments. I know how hard it is. I have never been good at taking them or being the center of attention. As a twin I always shared the attention growing up. For most of us here its always easier to here the bad, instead of the good! You therapist is not worth anything if they can not help you with this issue. Mine would keep asking me why? Why do you feel uncomfortable when someone says something? Why do you, why do why do you until you give the real answer. Basically its that "easier to believe the bad, because that is what we are use to". Well love lady, that is all part of this process accepting things in new ways and doing things in new ways.

Always remember the most important part! You ARE worth it!

(I know its easier said then Done and I am the kettle)

Before I forget!! WTG!!! You big loser!!!

Last edited by whitelion30; 02-19-2008 at 03:05 PM.
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Default it feels good, don't it!

When I would get compliments after I lost some weight, I would say something like "Thanks, I appreciate the comment" because I worked hard to get there and so did you and you're going to keep working hard and you're gonna knock your own socks off!

I think people who "sparkle" get noticed more. There are millions of skinny people out there but I bet they all don't get noticed because it takes more than a thin body to be attractive-the smile, the bright eyes, the glow of happiness and joy of living is what really makes us attractive. But we "fatties" have bought into the you-can't-be-attractive-and-don't-you-dare-like-yourself-cuz-you're-fat way of thinking because we've been told that since the first time the first person noticed it so we often don't think we deserve to sparkle. That's probably the biggest reason, at least in my book, that we let ourselves gain weight back after we lost it. I'm fat and will always be fat because that's the way the world taught me to see myself. I'm looking forward to learning how to defeat that belief.

Keep sparkling kid, we want to sparkle, too!
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I have found some kind of truth about myself...One, I have always sparkled (that is what my students told me), and Two, I have lost more the 100 lbs 8 times in my life, people would compliment and compliment until I gained it back, they would stop and I would feel like a failure. Over and over that has been true!

This is good that I figured out that I think there is a connection between compliments and losing or gaining weight, that way I can begin to let that go.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote