Weight and Resistance Training - Oatmeal for weight trainers...

View Full Version : Oatmeal for weight trainers...

horsey
02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm reading the Clean Diet/Exercise books as the author inspires me, partly her age when she got quite fit and mostly because of her muscle/body/ideas. I know weight trainers love oatmeal but I'm just trying to find a brand/type that is organic or most healthy as a staple. I've bought the steel cut before and that's time consuming, any tips on how to best cook it? Or how about whole or quick oats? I've bought the weight loss quick oats and they taste good. But if I'm going to eat CLEAN I want to make sure it's the best since I'll be eating a lot of it.

nelie
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
You can cook steel cut oats ahead of time in a crockpot and reheat.

The cooking times between rolled oats and quick rolled oats aren't really all that different, I'd just go with rolled oats. Trader Joe's carries a "whole grain hot cereal" mixture and you can find some at Whole Foods that contain more than oatmeal. You can easily microwave rolled oats with some water (or whatever you like) for quick cooking.

Eves
02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I use rolled oats, and I just nuke them for a couple of minutes. I'm lazy and I don't have a lot of time in the morning, plus even though steel cut are overall better for you, nutritionally rolled are just about there. Did that just make sense?

horsey
02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is 45 min away but maybe I need to make a once a month trip there for some pantry items like oats... we have a small Vitamin Cottage though and they have the Bob's brand. Are you saying I should look for plain old rolled oats? I found the Bob's Musuli and bought that yesterday. I feel good today on oatmeal, whey, wheat germ, flaxseed with berries although I'll admit I feel more energized in the am with meats and fat! But clean eating doesn't allow for the sausage...

nelie
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Bob's Red Mill has some good mixes, so wherever you buy those.

You could look for plain old rolled oats, that is what quaker oats is, although I'd avoid the quick oats. I do really like steel cut oats though and would recommend them. As I said, they can be cooked in a crockpot overnight and reheated subsequent days. Steel cut oats, unsweetened almond milk, pumpkin puree and some pumpkin pie spice is divine :) You can even add in some walnuts for a bit of a crunch. I was addicted to that mixture for a while. Thinking about it though makes me want to cook it again...

horsey
02-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I saw a recipe for steel cut oats in a crock pot. My mom's "recipe" is to take plain oats, add nuts, seeds and other items, soak in milk in a bowl in the fridge overnight and they are ready in the am after mixing in some berries/fruit. If it doesn't matter much if they are steel or not maybe her strategy is a good one... she doesn't use the quick oats. I don't have a crock pot but I might go buy a small one. The recipe I saw looked good with cranberries etc added into the oats.

Mel
02-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I nuke steel cut oats (as well as the regular rolled) and it takes exactly 2 minutes. Use a BIG bowl, because it tends to bubble up a lot. Before I had to worry about gluten contamination, I used McCanns Steel Cut or good old Old Fashioned Quaker Oats.

If you do go to Trader Joes, they sell a line of chicken sausage which is natural, organic and low fat. No nitrates :) Believe it or not, so does Sam's Club. Just make sure to read the labels carefully and avoid the ones that have added sugar.

Mel

elisa822
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Mel - I've never microwaved my oats - I've either done the sit overnight method or cooked on the stove. What quantities of oats to liquid do you use for the microwave? Is it the same?

Thanks!

:D

Meg
02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Not Mel ;) but I eat Old-fashioned Quaker oats. 1/3 dry oatmeal and 2/3 cup water, microwaved (like Mel says -- in a BIG bowl!) for 1 minute, 40 seconds.

For the Quaker, it's 2:1 water to oatmeal, so you can adjust your portion accordingly. :)

elisa822
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks Meg - yes I do know the difference! ;) Here's something that I cannot figure out. I cut down on my oatmeal when I found out how many calories were in the oats. I know it's healthy calories but still it seemed high. Here's the thing - this website (http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/20038.html) has oats as 600 calories for a cup, while Quaker's website (http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/quakerOats/product.cfm?productid=3) says half that!! Now interestingly enough the weight total of each website is also very different but oats can't be that different just by brand, can they??

All you calorie counters who love your oatmeal, what do count as the calories in a cup of oats?

WaterRat
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Mmmm, oatmeal! I eat it 3-4 times a week. I usually nuke the old-fashioned oats for 2-2.5 min, add a few walnuts, raisins and a little skim milk. I like the steel cut ones too, but I usually save them for the weekend and cook them in a pan. It just dawned on me, when I was about to whine that I don't have a big enough bowl to nuke them in, that I could use my smallest mixing bowl! Duh - lightbulb moment! I'll try it tomorrow!

ETA: I use twice as much water as oats, like Meg, and add a shake of salt. I nuke longer because I have an older-than-dirt microwave. If I make them at work, with a newer micro, I use less time.

Meg
02-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Elisa, I always go by the nutrition label on the package. Quaker lists 1/2 cup dry (makes 1 cup prepared) as 150 calories, so those are the numbers I use. Calorie counting sites use generic numbers, often from the USDA. I figure they're just averages and ballpark figures. So I go by the package, figuring that's the most accurate for a specific product. :)

Pat, I always use a small glass mixing bowl!

Meg
02-11-2008, 08:35 PM
I looked at that link a little closer, Elisa, and I think it's mistaken. It lists a one cup serving size as 156 grams, with 103 g of carbs. Quaker lists 1/2 cup dry as 40 grams, with 27 grams of carbs. So 1 cup serving of Quaker would be 80 grams, not 156 grams, and would have 54 g of carbs, not 103. I'm guessing that the nutritional facts given on Calorie-Count.com are really for TWO cups dry, not one cup as listed, because it's almost exactly double the Quaker numbers. Does that make sense?

Meg
02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I checked the official USDA web site ( http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/) for oatmeal and it says 307 calories for 1 cup, with 55 grams of carbs. So it agrees with the Quaker numbers.

Enjoy your oatmeal - it's only half as caloric as you thought! :D

WaterRat
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
That makes sense, Meg. I know when I was counting WW points, oatmeal was 2 pts, which the Quaker number would work out to, given the calories and fiber count. :) My DH, btw, eats rolled oats as they come from the box. He mixes them with whatever cold cereal he's eating, pours on milk (and sugar!), and usually fruit, and eats. I cannot get him to eat cooked oatmeal, unless you mix it with another hot cereal. We get a cereal called Malt-o-Meal, which like cream of wheat, and I often cook one serving of that with one serving of oats. It's not bad, and he'll eat that.

elisa822
02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks Meg! Really, I have been cutting way back on the oatmeal, thinking that my half cup was 300 calories!! When you add a bit of milk and maybe half a banana, it was quite a caloric breakfast. Like I said, I knew it was healthy but I can't "afford" a 450 calorie breakfast. I saw that the weights of the "cup" of oatmeal were way off on the different websites but I couldn't figure it out. I always put my oats in a container and throw away the bag and I kept forgetting to check it.

Pat - my husband also loves the raw oats with cold skim milk and some sweetener. They're a bit too crunchy for my tastes.

I'm having oatmeal tomorrow...:woohoo:

ETA...Oh, oh I'm still confused. I checked the USDA link. If you select 1/2 cup of Quaker oats it says 150 calories but if you just select "oats" it still says 300 calories for 1/2 cup. It must be in the definition of "oats". I'm still assuming you're right. But I'm still confused. :dizzy:

zinkemomx2
02-11-2008, 10:02 PM
ETA...Oh, oh I'm still confused. I checked the USDA link. If you select 1/2 cup of Quaker oats it says 150 calories but if you just select "oats" it still says 300 calories for 1/2 cup. It must be in the definition of "oats". I'm still assuming you're right. But I'm still confused.

Maybe one is for cooked oats and one is for raw oats that would make twice as much cooked?

BlueToBlue
02-11-2008, 11:18 PM
I always base the calories for my oatmeal on the dry measurement. I get Trader Joe's multi-grain cereal (which is rolled oats plus a few other grains, like barley and rye). It's sold under the Country Choice (http://www.countrychoicenaturals.com/products.php?main=4&is_store=0) brand in other grocery stores. The box says 130 calories for 1/2 cup dry and I take them at their word. I add a lot of water, around a cup and a quarter (I like my oatmeal very soft and mushy), so I'm sure I get more than a cup out of it, but the water isn't adding any calories. I also don't like the taste of food cooked in the microwave (reheated is fine, but I like my food cooked before it goes into the microwave), so I always do my oatmeal on the stove. I use rolled oats and it only takes 5 minutes.

One difference in the calorie measurements you are seeing may be the type of oats. Instant and rolled oats are usually 150 calories per 1/2 cup dry, but steel cut oats are 150 calories per 1/4 cup dry. This is because steel cut oats are much smaller in size (so more of them fit in a smaller space). But you add a lot more water to the steel cut oats (I think twice as much as you add to rolled oats) so 1/4 cup dry steel cut oats should cook up to about the same amount as 1/2 cup dry rolled oats.

On a day when you can spare the calories, try stirring one tbsp peanut butter into your cooked oatmeal. Heaven! :cloud9: Forget mac-n-cheese; this is my new favorite comfort food. It's also very filling.

I also like oatmeal with 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, a little vanilla, and some artificial sweetener. It's warmy and chocolately!

If you want to take the super-easy route to steel cut oatmeal, Trader Joe's sells it precooked and frozen. You just pop it in the microwave. There is a small amount of sweetener in it, but I don't think it's very much.

horsey
02-12-2008, 01:31 AM
My mom and I had this discussion, she's gained a few pounds, eats clean and I thought about that oatmeal, her porportion is HUGE every am. We measured it and it was about 1 cup dry, then with added almonds, fruit and other nuts (plus her juice from juicing) from what you guys are saying she could be having a 600+ cal breakfast with the juice, etc... I thought she should cut the oatmeal in half and she'll try that. Now I know about 1/2 cup with some nuts and whey, bee pollen, wheat germ and flax, with berries. It tasted good. But I might try some organic chicken sausage. I need some meat in the am. Then I'd cut the whey in the oatmeal and have sausage I think.

Meg
02-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Elisa, "oatmeal" is difference from "oats". If you're eating rolled oats a la Quaker, then it's 150 calories per half-cup. If you're eating steel-cut oats or another version, I'd go by the package info. :)

evilwomaniamshe
02-12-2008, 07:07 AM
This may sound strange, but this is how I eat my oatmeal everyday!

I love eating Quaker old fashioned oatmeal (dry), I always add 1/2 cup dry oatmeal to 1 cut up apple in a bowl, and then I add a container of blueberry all natural yogurt on top, stir this up and this is a great healthy, chewy breakfast! I love it so much sometimes I have it for lunch or supper too!
Sometimes I use strawberry yogurt, a banana, and the dry oatmeal...

I also add a sprinkle of ground flax seed for some good fat.

Mel
02-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Hahaha, I add dry oats to all sorts of things and call them "flat croutons".

Meg
02-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Don't forget the Fiber One "stick croutons". :lol:

nelie
02-12-2008, 10:40 AM
This thread inspired me to make some steel cut oats last night.

You can also cook them in the rice cooker but I'm a bit rusty at it and I didn't put enough water, so I had to add water and recook them in the rice cooker.

Anyway,

I added 2 cups of steel cut oats, 1 can of pumpkin puree, 1 tsp of vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, some cinnamon and a little bit of salt (this is so it doesn't boil over). Oh and also water :)

Each 1 cup serving is 3 WW points (approximately 150 calories) and it is really good :)

horsey
02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Very few diet/exercise books lists brands but last night I was reading the Superfoods RX diet, it has a list in back of oats and instant hot cereal. It says to keep around some of the quick packets for when you are REALLY on the go. I read about the Irish Oatmeal in another top selling diet book too, anyone tried that, I saw it at the health store?

McCann's Instant Irish Oatmeal - regular
Mothers 100% Natural rolled oats
Old Fashioned Quaker Oats 100% Whole Grain
Kashi Golean Hearty All Natural Instant HOt Cereal - Vanilla, Honey & Cinnamon
Kashi Heart to Heart Instant Oatmeal - Apple Cinnamon, Raisin Spice, Maple
Quaker Intant Oatmeal - Regular Flavor
Quaker Simple Harvest All Natural Instant Multigrain Hot Cereal Oat Wheat Barley
Uncle Sam Instant Oatmeal.

BUT I'm thinking that I might TOO try the steel oats, I have some in my cupboard. And this list didn't have the organic brands I see at the health store. I'm wondering if it makes a difference though, seems like it would be handy to just keep around a big bin of the Old Fashioned Quaker Oats. Also not on this list is the Weight Loss Oatmeal, it's the quick kind but I keep reading about it in magazines and diet books.

With so much info out there, I never know what to do... I just need to get my own system down, formerly I wasn't into organic foods but lately I'm thinking the more organic the better. Yet there's lists of what's most important if buying organic, I'm not sure Oatmeal is one of the priorities in life, especially since we only have one small health store here.

WaterRat
02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Horsey, I think that instant oatmeal - any brand - is vile stuff! :) And the flavored ones are even worse - shudder. THe Quaker Simple Harvest is better if you need instant. We take it camping as it mixes in the bowl (i.e. no pan to wash) and the vanilla flavor is tolerable. At home, or at work, regular rolled oats are just as fast in the microwave, and much better, imho.

All this oatmeal talk put it in my mind, so I had some for breakfast this morning. Yum.

gastronome
02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Oatmeal is the bomb. It's so filling and easy to make in different ways. I used to always use just plain rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind), now I am finding myself using oat bran -- it has more fiber and is more filling to me. For the rolled oats I mix it up with some peanut butter to make a bar for breakfast or just eat it with some milk raw. The oatbran I find is much better made in the way of you would rolled oats -- boil in water with some salt and some sweetener. It becomes much more like a porridge pretty fast and they are pretty quick cooking. THis may sound weird, but rolled oats added to chicken soup is really really good. =)

horsey
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I think I will just keep the instant stuff around for when I'm really on the go, but if regular oats are just as quick I"ll mix in my own fruit, raisins, etc. I think all of this processed food helped contribute to my gaining weight the past few years. I'm slowing down, cooking more, and I'm feeling better. And I'm getting back to weight training, which I love... I'll get the plain old oats today. Thanks

Ilene
02-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I also love dry oatmeal soaked in soymilk with sweetner or yogurt :hun: .... This way you don't have to worry about overflowing in the microwave :lol:

canelle
03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I eat my oats the same way as evilwoman... I think the wwers call it "summer museli"
I do 1/2 c dry rolled oats (not instant) w/ 1/2 c yogurt, 1 TB flax and some chopped fruit/berries. Then a touch of honey/maple syrup or fructose because splenda makes me feel ill. So good!

Chinchilla Fairy
03-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I eat Quaker Oats and egg whites every morning. I mix half a cup uncooked oats with egg whites and cook it up in a frying pan like a big pancake. I have some berries with that and it keeps me going for a few hours.
:hun: