Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default From free weights at home to gym?

I'm "back" after taking some time off, gained a little weight being stupid, but before was obsessing about weight training. I was doing free weights at home but now I'm joining the gym too at least for the winter.

Wondering... some books say free weights are best including the Body Sculpting Bible that I was using. Would I mix in some machines? Or maybe use the gym more for cardio and still do my free weights? I enjoy free weights and this gym has a workout room away from the big buff dudes with the basic free weights. So I'm thinking I could hide out and do my own thing there.

I work at home, and need to get out of the house more. I found a great new gym that I think I'll really like, I miss my old ymca, I moved. But this one looks like a good mix of people. Just wondering what to do, maybe I need a trainer. Or I could try the Body For Life training program.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hi Horsey,

The benefits of free weights over machines are outlined very clearly on Krista Scott Dixon's (noncommercial) site, specifically here. To this I would add that free weights also make your gym time far more efficient, especially if you use them for compound exercises (bench press, deadlift, squat, rows).

As for whether you need a trainer, some people swear by them to teach good form, others don't. The problem is that there are good trainers and bad trainers: good trainers will listen to your goals, design a weight training program (with free weights!) to help you meet those goals, and, yes, teach you good form. Bad trainers will give you a canned tour of the machines and tell you lies like "this exercise is good for toning," or "this one will help you lose fat on your thighs" or "women shouldn't do this exercise because [whatever]." I've also seen trainers give bad advice about form -- e.g. encouraging people to squat, but then to "not go too deep" or to "put a plate under your heels." cringe.

The problem is that most beginners don't yet have the knowledge to discern between good and bad trainers, and if you go with the gym's trainers you may not have a choice in who you get anyway. The solution is to arm yourself with knowledge first; the rest of Krista's site will give you a great start. You might also go a few times by yourself and scope out experienced lifters who might be able to offer recommendations.

BTW, in my experience many of the "big buff dudes" are incredibly nice and helpful to beginners, especially if they think you're genuinely interested in learning. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part they're just like any other athletes who are passionate about their sport ... eager to make converts!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #3  

I already know that at this gym the owner is the only trainer, but the woman at the desk said I could find my own as well. I met the owner and didn't really click with him so that's likely out. I like the Body Sculpting Bible program and it was working for me in the past. I hit a relapse here and quit exercising. I enjoy free weights. I've been a member of gyms before and I know what you mean, they run you through the equipment, set you up with some generic routine, blah, blah. At least I can get started on my own with my own routines, I'm going to have to almost start over, I lost muscle just taking time off here, so I won't be ready for awhile anyways to do much else then the basics. That I can do at home or at the gym, free weights and cardio. I'm joining the gym to get out of the house more then anything, I work at home and need a winter outlet and a way to stay motivated. You might be right about the big buff dudes, I was asking a guy at a local coffee shop about how he works out, he's one, and he was happy to share info with me as he's passionate about lifting weights.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
"put a plate under your heels." cringe.
Kim, I've seen people at my gym squatting with the plate under their heels. What is supposed to be the purpose of that?

I also find the buff guys at my gym to be accommodating and friendly and occasionally helpful. The only problems are the occasional guy who wants to help me to rerack my weights and put them away for me (?!?! wtf !?!?) as though after I've finished my sets I've become a delicate flower incapable of picking up anything heavy, and the older men. The older men often make comments. To wit, on Tuesday a man said, "what's a little girl like you doing with all that weight?" I'm 32 years old and stand 5'9 inches tall. There's nothing little girlish about me. <grumble grumble>

Anyway, that was a tangent/rant. Sorry

Horsey, I'm glad you're back in the game. Gyms can be fun, and I actually find that the social pressure in the weight room helps to keep me honest and to not slack off.

Also, check out the New Rules of Lifting. It's great! The New Rules of Lifting for Women is coming out in December I think. It's much better than the BSB at explaining all the principles and offering programs to follow.

Last edited by baffled111; 11-16-2007 at 06:51 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

While I use free weights at the gym vs. machines, I do like the fact that there are several types of benches (and benches in several places), all manner of shapes and weights of dumbbells, lots of barbells, and several cable machines - useful for lat pulldowns, and other exercises, plus an assisted dip machine. What I don't like is the very annoying radio station the very young staff blasts throughout the gym but that's why I have my own music on my MP3! My only other rant is that the towels are (a) small and (b) dried with fabric softener which makes them less absorbent.

Last edited by WaterRat; 11-16-2007 at 02:40 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #6  

Yes isn't that cool, all of the barbells? I was buying more home equipment and took my barbells back knowing that wasn't something to do at home alone. I saw a whole stack of them there, all lined up neatly on a rack, and all of the benches. I don't like the loud music either, I'm going to have to get an Ipod, I"m trying to do this peace/mindfulness thing and perhaps I can stay in that mode at a gym. This one had some nice places to "hide out", various rooms where few people do the cardio machines. Oh sure I'd like to meet some people and get out, but I'm naturally a loner. I don't know about the towels... I've never used gym towels, just went, sweated, and went home.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #7  

I'll go get the New Rules of Lifting, I saw that at the bookstore. I like being a do it yourselfer.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

I am very, very grateful that there is NO piped in music at my gym. It's so nice not having to raise the volume on my mp3 player really, really loud to compete with the piped in music.

But I always use the towels! They're a little scratchy but at least they stop the sweat from running down my face. Icky.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #9  
Mel

Hi Horsey Welcome back!

I doubt that you'll really be starting from scratch. If I remember, You've lifted on and off for quite a while. I find that "muscle memory" really exists. You wont be able to lift as heavy as when you stopped, but you'll get strong again more quickly than someone who has never lifted.

I also second hanging with the big dudes Generally, they are more helpful and knowledgeable than others in the gym, and more willing to spot you if you ask. And unfortunately, I've never had anyone offer to unrack weights for me! and I'm not 5'9" I'd be happy to have someone offer more often, I'm reracking someone else's weights (but we have entire threads ranting about that!).

Additionally, the equipment is usually better and more varied than in a "women's section".

Welcome back.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I work out with db's at home too, and then use my husband's quasi-universal machine to do lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns. I really like the feeling of those lat pulldowns.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #11  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, everyone! I'm up before the crack of dawn, for some inexplicable reason, and thought I'd check in.

Speaking of inexplicable, I've got a painful bruise on my hip this morning. I'm used to getting bruises on my upper thighs from deadlifting, but this is something new. I don't remember walking into any desks, although with me it's entirely possible. I hope it's just a surface thing, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
Kim, I've seen people at my gym squatting with the plate under their heels. What is supposed to be the purpose of that?
Ruining your knees & back?

Seriously, the theory is that the plate helps lifters without enough flexibility in their Achilles tendons to go deep. A few other people say that it helps blast their quads. The problem is that the plate tips your weight forward, makes it harder to drive with your heels, and also makes it a harder to keep your knees from tracking out in front of your toes. It's probably OK for some people's biomechanics, but the safer strategy is to learn to squat flat-footed.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote