Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Baby steps?

So, the past 4 months have been particularly bad for me depression-wise (end of a relationship+my normal depression). I know I need to go back to the dr and find an anti-depressant that works. I switched to Kaiser quite some time ago, didn't tell them I was in search of an antidepressant and cut Prozac cold turkey. Bad, I know. I'm not ready to commit the energy to the search. I've mostly kept chugging along eating-wise. It's usually easier for me to change my eating than it is to actually work on my issues. My hope is that by making baby steps to improve my life, I will be ready to start working on my depression (and getting back on an anti-depressant). When I exercise/eat right, I start to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Problem is, I've been extra-extra depressed lately (extra problems), more than the usual off-the-wagon funk. I haven't eaten all day. I have zero appetite other than repeatedly fighting off impulses to just go binge on Mexican food. If I go into my kitchen, I want to gag when I see all the OP food.

Help?

Last edited by rubberlegs; 10-29-2007 at 05:45 PM.
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Just try to eat a little protein to keep yourself up. I understand that you are tired of diet food and I empathize.
I believe that baby steps are the best way to move forward. It is too overwhelming to try to change completely in a day. Take it slow and it will last. I understand feeling really depressed too. I take Lexapro but I still feel down about my weight and such.
Keep on with the baby steps and you will feel more empowered to deal with your issues. Try to find a new doctor too because you are worth it.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Hi Vanessa,
Hope you are feeling better today
Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #4  

I have posted before about this and my apologies if this is a little bit of a broken record. But, I have made significant headway with depression using the following techniques (for lack of a better word):
1) Going to therapy every other week
2) Taking a B50 Vitamin tablet and extra B12 as well
3) Regular exercise. Started off very slowly. As soon as I could, I got to 30 minutes of walking, four times a week. For at least two of those times, I exercised outside in the cool morning sun. This is because sunlight can sometimes help with depression. This ( 4 times a week, 30 mins a time, with 2 walks outside) is what my Dr. says is really ideal and would actually be a fine place to stay at if needed. I stayed there for a long time. Now, I am doing more!
4) I got on a weight loss program. For me it is Weight Watchers, but I'm sure there are other good ones. I try my best to eat mostly healthy foods. I treat myself several days a week to a 100 calorie chocolate treat. I don't keep super tempting items in the house.
5) I buy myself flowers almost every week.
6) I read uplifting literature and listen to uplifting music several times a week.
7) At one point for a brief period of time, I used an antidepressant. I would not hestitate to do that again if needed. However, I have found these other things I have incorporated into my life have made a huge dent with this problem.
8) If I wasn't feeling well or had unusual and unexpected stress, I would make an extra appointment with my therapist, get a massage or a pedicure. Sometimes...all three. I found that stress would set off my depression. A little pampering would dampen things down...

If you are not taking the Prozac and feel that it was helpful for you, I would consider taking it again. If it caused side effects for you, I would talk with the Dr. about trying another one. Can you get into some talk therapy? You can start off with a few regular visits, and then cut it back to every other week, then go to once a month. In fact, I sometimes wonder if this is the best way to do it so you don't over rely on the therapist. You can always make an extra appointment if something major comes up.

I think eating healthy, losing weight and getting in good nutrition is very helpful in fighting depression. Same with exercise.

IMHO, we've got to use everything in our arsenal...

Hang in there...wishing you well.

Last edited by Fun Size; 10-30-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Fun Size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #5  

Its not easy being depressed and wanting to eat to soothe the anxiety. I hope you will be feeling well soon. Take control of the depression, don't let the depression take control of you

Last edited by Synergy; 10-30-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

Great ideas, Fun Size! I think that I'll try the two walks in the sunshine.
And rubberlegs - do whatever you need to do to feel better. Baby steps, the two step, steppin' or whatever. Be gentle with yourself!
By the by, I have found that just sitting in the sunshine (when I can't manage anything else) DOES make me feel loads better.
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #7  

You should keep on saying every day that this is the first day for the rest of your life and take baby steps to get things better for you.I think this way you will achieve your goal.
qaswer is offline   Reply With Quote