Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default I have no idea where to start.

I have finally gotten on a schedule where I can make it to the rec for a couple of hours 3-5 times a week. I do bike and treadmill for cardio (40+ minutes) and attempt to weight train, but realize that I don't have any idea where to start. I thought about hiring a personal trainer, but honestly cannot afford it right now. I've poked around this forum but frankly I just end up more confused. At the rec, we have just about every machine available to us, but I really don't know which ones to use and for how many reps, etc. What kind of routine would you recommend for a beginner? Thanks so much.
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Kayla, if you haven't already...check out stumptuous.com its a very informative site.

Here she gives a couple of different routines you might like to try...

http://stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=26

If you come across an exercise and don't know what it should look like try exrx.com they have little videos. You can also find a ton of stuff on youtube.

I am just a beginner myself but I have a few pieces of advice.

1) Read a bunch

2) Use free weights (dumbells barbells) over machines most of the time.

3) Compound exercises are good for you, squats, pushups pullups.

4) Some of these can be done with bodyweght only at first (squats lunges) and others can be assisted (pushups you can do elevated and if you have an assisted pull up machine at your convenience I am jealous.

5) try things... keep what works and modify what doesn't

6) eat protien and other good foods

Let us know how things go at the gym and keep asking questions. Alot of the folks here are very knowlegeable.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

I also use www.bodybuilding.com for help. They explain wl movements in detail. Don't be intimidated by the pictures of the "over achievers" on that site, cuz there is a lot of good information there.

I would say to use some machines to help learn form if you're too scared for your first day or two, but then to use free weights as much as possible. Stay off the Smith Machine and the inner/outer thigh machines: they are terrible.

I'm doing a 4x15 routine now using med-heavy weights, 30 sec. between sets, and 2 exercises per muscle group. Drink lots of water (lots!) as it will help with soreness the next day and definitely get your protein in as well as some carbs too. You're body will be screaming for carbs after a w/o, but add some protein to that to aid in muscle repair. I have eggs and egg whites w/ ww toast after a w/o. I have a protein drink before the gym as well.

And yes, read, read, read! And go to the gym with a plan. Map out what you want to do as so to maximize your w/o.

Have fun!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Many gyms will give you a free session with a trainer. If not, you may just want to pay for one or two sessions to get you started. It's important to do the exercises correctly, too, and that's why it helps to have someone show you.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote