Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #1  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Default Cardio + Weights Question

Hi all . . . I am currently starting to get some exercise in with my diet and had a question about cardio plus weight training. Right now I am still very much in the losing phase of my diet, and haven't gotten to the point that I'm only looking to tone. I have lost almost 30 pounds and look better, but I still have quite a pooch of fat around my belly/hips/butt/thighs, you get the idea, that I am trying to lessen through exercise because I am sure that dieting will not be enough to get rid of that extra fat. I recently bought an adjustable weight bench and couple of women's hand weight DVDs, and have been alternating between those 2-3 times a week on top of my cardio.

My question is - because I am most focused on trying to get rid of my poochy belly and other soft places, is it useful to me now to be incorporating weights 2-3 times a week even though I am more focused on getting rid of the fat, or should I focus more on my cardio and wait to incoporate weights until later when I am focusing more on toning? Your thoughts and advice are most welcome. I'm not sure I will really ever fully enjoy exercise, but I am on a journey to make it a part of my life and to make my body leaner and firmer. Thanks!
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

It's always helpful to incorporate weights in your exercise routine. Weight lifting is beneficial to your bones, and, important to us losers, it builds the muscle that helps us burn fat. And all that great muscle gives your body a great shape. So my advice is to incorporate both cardio and weight training into your exercise routine.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

I agree. I'm actually on a plan right now that incorporates both where I do 10 minutes of HARD cardio (intensity at highest-very sweaty) and then go to weights w/ only 30 seconds b/t sets, 4x15 (med to heavy weights) w/ 2 exercises per body part. Then I do 1 day of HIIT (20 min) or SS cardio (45 minutes). I'm in the gym 5 days a week.... when I'm not sick, that is....

When we have more muscle, there's no room for fat!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I soooo wish I'd started weights immediately. I probably could have saved myself at least one bounce.
Go for it. I'm sure you'll love it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Don't wait.

When you loose lbs some will be fat and some will be muscle. If you strength train you can make sure you are loosing all fat.

Also the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns each day so you burn more fat.

I have been strength training pretty regularly and it pretty much looks like I have lost weight. I wish I had a buffed out look (still working on it) but in reality I just look thinner.

Strength training + short intense cardio like what aymster describes is a really good plan.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I agree don't wait ... The muscle you gain will help speed up your metabolism to lose weight faster...

Good luck!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote