Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/168/150

Default Who can recommend an excellent scale?

Bobby, I didn't want to hijack your thread. You reminded me I wanted to ask this for a while now.

I had a dial scale which was ok, but hard to read. Then I bought a digital, but I swear, it gives me different readings all the time. I weight myself 6 times and take the highest number.

I'd really love an acurate scale... and I have't done much research on them. If you have a recommendation that you really love, I'd like it.

TIA
luvthelighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

No problem. Well, I don't really love any scale right now, but... the new Bearer of Bad Tidings I just got seems pretty accurate (at least according to the very unscientific test I did with some hand weights), has an easy-to-read digital display that measures to tenths of pounds, and wasn't overly expensive (just under $30). It's called the "Weight Watcher Scale By Conair WW31 Digital Body Fat and Body Water Scale." I just found it by searching on Amazon. It also does body fat and water percentages, but I haven't used any of those features. (Nor have a thrown it petulantly at a wall, though I was sorely tempted.) I'm sure there are better scales out there, though this one seems perfectly good for my needs, if not my self-esteem.
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Any scale from Tanita will make you very happy. They are expensive but I think mine is worth every penny. I used to get on my old scale several times and the number got higher each time. I really didn't know what the true number was and I didn't like averaging it. The Tanita scale will give you the exact same reading no matter how many times you get on or how you stand. Now I just get on once and go on with my day. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #4  

I bought a Thinner scale (model TH402) from BBB for 39.99 and I love it. It always give me the same reading even if i step on it five minutes later. I know some people have had bad experiences with it. but I would recommend it.
angela095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I love my Tanita scale. Very accurate and consistent.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I bought a digital scale, and it was what I could afford at the time; while it's *fairly* consistent, it definitely needs to stay in the same place all the time. For a while I was keeping it under the sink, and hauling it out when I wanted to weigh, and it was ALL over the place.

I've heard nothing but good reviews about Tanita scales, and once I've got more $$ to spare, I'll be investing in one of those.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Speaking of scales -
Does anyone know if the good ol' doctor's scales can get off balance? Back in the day when I had a little extra $$$ before the last 4 kids, I bought one - I'm just wondering if it's on the wack since I've been so good this past week and the stupid scale isn't showing it - I lamented about this on another thread - I didn't think these scales could get "off" but maybe like anything else they can?
Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #8  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

BTW Tanita gets good reviews but after about 5 years mine only gives me a weight range of 3 pounds so I have to weigh several times. Also now it started squeeking. And the Body Fat thing? Way Way off. Its not a bad scale just not the wonder-thing you read in reviews.

Sigh

-muse (who needs a new scale too)
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Idealmuse, sounds like it's time for a new scale...

Your doctor scales need to be zeroed from time to time, but other than that, I think they are pretty good. It depends, though--anything mechanical can wear out over time. The doctor-type scale at my YMCA gave a different reading depending on where you stood.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have a Tanita scale and am very pleased with it.

Doctors scales are considered to be very accurate, but they do need to be properly adjusted from time to time.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Jay -

HAH I know... I guess I'm just holding out I hate spending money on something I already own you know? It still reads fine I just pick the middle weight # to record. It's the squeeking noise it's making driving me up the wall. That being said I did like the scale when it worked properly!

Does anyone here have an Omron? Looks like the reviews are fairly good and its a wee bit cheaper then Tat's.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #12  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
The doctor-type scale at my YMCA gave a different reading depending on where you stood.
Yeah, the one at my old gym used to do that. The one at my current gym is very well-tuned, but it's funny to see that it's in a different spot each day. I can imagine all these frustrated girls dragging the scale to different areas, stepping on it, saying "oh yeah, you think so?" and dragging it to another area in hopes of a lighter reading. (Of course, I CERTAINLY didn't try that myself on the first day I stepped on it! ...okay...maybe that's how I learned that it's so accurate...)

At any rate, I will be watching this thread with interest. My home IKEA scale is terrible (at my current weight, it reads anywhere from 148 to 156, depending on how it's feeling at that particular moment), and I'd like to have a way to weigh myself without going to the gym.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/125

Height: 5' 3"

I'll echo what others have said about the WW scales and the Thinner brand of scales. They are both made by Conair and are VERY reliable. They cost around $30 and up and are all very reliable. They require "touching" them before actually weighing. This calibrates them for accuracy. I can get on and off a gazillion times in a row and the reading will NOT change (even if I wish that it would). They sell them in Wal-Mart, Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, etc. They are well worth the $30 because they will last a LONG time.
Mary from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009P7IVK/...K&linkCode=asn

I did a lot of research before I got this scale because I was tired of getting 3 different readings in a row. This one got the highest ratings that I could find online. I had a taylor scale before I got this one and it worked fine for me when I was smaller (or at least I thought it did), but at this weight, it hated my guts.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

That's the one I've got, LeedaRenee!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote