Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 08:34 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 12/31 - 1/6

Starting the topic. Be right back
Old 12-31-2001, 08:54 AM   #2  

Karen C - I think all food that you get when you eat out is saltier than we'd make ourselves. Glasses are expensive - lenses aren't cheap either but I'm a little afraid of lasix surgery. Yes, I'm a bit frustrated but Saturday I decided it wasn't going to stop me and did a weights tape - just didn't use my right side.

Michele - Happy Anniversary and congratulations on the clothes being too big! I think you should be able to find a bathing suit - they usually have "resort wear" in the winter. Good luck on your weigh-in - I hope you get that chain - but if not, it sounds like you will not get discouraged and will get it next week.

I have had a very rough time this weekend. I got TOM on Friday night and just slept in on Saturday instead of going to my meeting (my first mistake). I did OK during the day but snacked a little too much Saturday night - I still would have ben OK or only 1 or 2 points in the deficit (for the week because my week starts on Sunday evening). Anyway, I had a pretty good attitude going to our friends yesterday (the friends who introduced us) even though my sneak peek was frightening (TOM big time - my chest is so loaded with water retention that it hurts). Well, we always have lots of drinks there but I figured on that and still managed not to do too badly there - I would have only had a few points for breakfast and lunch today but I could have managed it with just a few points in the deficit. Well - until last night at home. I had gotten some chocolate candy in a gift yesterday and Tony and I opened them last night - well, between us (mostly me) we finished the box - that wasn't it though. I actually defrosted a portion of ham that would have been for the two of us and ate it! Aaaarrrggghhhhh! I didn't really deprive myself of stuff at our friends - I was careful but I had a couple of goodies so I don't know where that binge came from! I guess the only good thing about the whole weekend was that on Saturday I decided that my butt had started to sag and I had to get back to weight work even if that meant using a dumbell in my right hand instead of a barbell etc - in other words, just make it work for me. To make a long story short, I did a new weights workout (almost an hour) - it felt great and I've been sore since.

Anyway, this is the first week of the new year - I'm going to tally my point damage from yesterday and work from there. Also, I'm going to my meeting next Saturday come he** or high water! Tony and I are going to a local restaurant tonight - I think I can have grilled salmon or something - and we have a bottle of champagne for midnight. We're going to my sil's tomorrow which will be tough, but I am going to get rid of this deficit - starting today (I'm going to do some kind of aerobics later).

OK - I'd better get going - I have my lens doctor appt and then I have to get back to work. I'm going to get back here later because I need all of your support - but just in case we don't get to "speak" later - Have a Happy, Healty and Peaceful New Year!

Judy
163.6/156.4/135 (last week's numbers - this week's in my dreams!)
Old 12-31-2001, 10:56 AM   #3  
Canadian, eh?

Sorry I didn't drop by last week, things were hectic and crazy, and I've been working 12 hour shifts all week.

Last week and right up till last night has been god awful foodwise. I've done okay at home, but at work..........nine boxes of chocolates, five tins of cookies and various other treats are at the nursing station at work. Well needless to say, I've crashed and burned. I'm sure I've gained a ton, I haven't been able to bring myself to get on the scale all week. I'm so disgusted with myself...

So Judy...been there, done that with the chocolates!!! I know exactly what you're talking about. Hang in there, my dear friend...pms can make you temporarily go off the wall a bit!

The good news is that its the last day of the year, and time for a clean sweep. Got to get my head out of the holidays, and back into healthy eating and healthy living. I'm off for a week now, so all that crap at work had better be gone when I get back there!!!

I haven't had time to read last week's thread, but I hope you're all well and doing great. I missed each of you. I wish each and every one of you a happy, healthy, and peaceful new year.

Karen B
Old 01-02-2002, 08:06 AM   #4  

Good Morning! I hope you all had a safe and happy New Year. Mine was ok and kind of OP, had a few too many drinks but right back on track. My anniversary was nice and we had a wonderful dinner. I did get my key chain, I weighed in with a 2 pound loss at 161.6.

Busy day at work today, have to get a lot done so I can have Friday off. My father's best friend of 60+ years died on New Years Eve and I would like to be able to travel to Cape Cod for the wake and funeral.

Anyway, I will try and be back later to check on you all and post more.

Have a great day
Old 01-02-2002, 08:33 AM   #5  

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! It's time to jump back on the bandwagon and get back on program. Judy, I'm sure TOM had a lot to do with your binge. Glad you are able to do some exercise. Karen, hang in there!

Weighin today shows minus 2.5 pounds, so made my year end challenge. I had a few rough days with food, but resolve to get this eating right back under control. Have a great day.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:40 PM   #6  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Well, we did it! The holidays are over and we can toss all those STALE goodies and get back OP!!

I did slip. I did so well for so long and then I just couldn't ditch the deprivation mindset. I got all the way down to 197 and got to wear those jeans that did not fit for so long. I also have been fighting this "as long as I exercise I can eat whatever I want" attitude. Then I thought that I deserved a day off from exercise!!! ACK! Today really IS another day, though, and I am doing ok so far, and have a date with the bike tonight!

Looking back from Thanksgiving to New Year's, I have to say that the Chopra plan works really well for me. I lost an average of 3.4 pounds per week. NOT BAD!!!

I have a goal for Valentine's Day; I want to be at 188 by then. Anybody care to join me?

Jennifa
216/201/170
Old 01-02-2002, 02:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Happy New Year everyone.

First - some old business from last week's thread: Belated birthday wishes to Karen C. and anniverary wishes to Michele. Congrats to Judy, Karen and Michele for the losses that they posted last week.

Judy - Is work any better for you this week? This is my first day back and I'm so not happy to be here. I'm with you - 2002 has to be the year of change. Sorry to hear about your rough weekend. Sounds like you have your plans in place to do what you have to do. I suppose its unrealistic to think we'll never have a feeding frenzy again. I was right there with you. John didn't get to see, let alone taste, some of the candy we got. It's how we stop ourselves and how we get back on track that will save us.

Karen B - It's good to have that holiday food all done with, isn't it. I bet you find that you didn't really gain a ton. Enjoy your week off.

Michele - Congrats on another terrifc loss and on getting your key chain. I'm sorry to hear about your father's friend.

Karen C - Was it you who wrote last week about eating an entire small cake? I did that too. We had to celebrate Ana's imaginary friend's birthday. I managed to polish off the birthday cake pretty much all by myself. Congrats on a terrific loss this week.

Jennifa - Your weight loss between Thanksgiving and Christmas is terric. Don't let the slip get you down. You'll see 197 again very soon. I think for Valentine's Day I'd simply like to be out of the 260s.

Well, the candy certainly got to me between Christmas and New Years. It was like I hadn't seen candy before. On my old scale I was up by 4 - 5 pounds. Some of it may have been water since its TOM and since I had a lot of salty food the last couple of days. But most of it was candy and other indiscriminate eating. However, yesterday I bought a new scale. Judy - I bought the Thinner brand. It's great because it measures in increments of 2/10s of a pound. It also does body fat measurements, which I didn't care all that much about, but I did want the small increments and the BMI measurement came along for the ride. I don't think it could be all that accurate in measuring body fat, but as Pat said, its helpful to see trends. At any rate, it ways 4-5 pounds higher than the old scale. So, I'm just going to use the weight on the new scale as a new starting weight (and its dangerously close to a number that I don't ever want to see) and go from their. New year, new number, new start. My goal for 2002 is to get below 200 by the end of the year.

Have a great day.

Carla

269.6/140 (243 - first 10%)
Old 01-03-2002, 10:19 AM   #8  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Everyone

Wow, almost the end of the week already. I think foodwise, it sounds like we're all delighted to put the holidays behind us and start anew.

Carla, your new scale sounds great; I like the sound of the small increments. Even a .2 loss would be exciting. Mine has a dial with a needle, I have to make sure my glasses are on before I can read it!

Jennifa, sorry about your little gain, but you've really been doing terrifically. It's been just about falling off you for the last few weeks. I looked in the bookstore for Perfect Weight, but haven't found it. I bought another Chopra book though, it's quite excellent.

Karen C - what a great loss! And happy belated birthday too! How are the new kids? Adorable, I'll bet!

Michele, congratulations on your terrific loss too! Sorry to hear about your dad's friend.

Judy, hope things are going better for you.

I bought and downloaded BalanceLog this week, it's pretty cool. Tracks food and exercise...I'm a terrible journaler so hope it helps. Think I'll bundle up and take the dogs to the beach for a run; it'll be a change from the treadmill.

Have a great day

Karen B
Old 01-03-2002, 10:36 AM   #9  

Karen B - sorry to hear about all that junk at work. I'm right back with you - a new year and a clean sweep! Let us know how BalanceLog works for you. A run on the beach sounds lovely - it's been very cold here recently so all my exercise has been indoors.

Michele - congratulations on making your 10% - awesome job! I'm sorry to hear about your father's friend. What a sad way to start the new year for your dad.

Karen C - way to go on that great loss and meeting your goal! Sorry to hear that you had a bit of a rough time but good for you for your great attitude about getting right back on.

Jennifa - I'm glad to hear that the Chopra plan has been working for you. Did you make your date with the bike last night?

Carla - Sorry to hear that the candy got to you. I had to laugh a little at the birthday party for Ana's imaginary friend - that's so cute! You're right - it is how we stop ourselves and how we get back on track that will save us. Wow - the new scale weighs in 2/10's? You must have gotten a more up-to-date model with more features. I don't have the body fat measurement - from what I've heard scales aren't all that accurate in measuring body fat but I agree that the trend could be useful. Work isn't quite as crazy busy (although that will start soon. I'm sure) but I have to tell you that I dreaded coming back to work today and I'm not happy to be here at all. I started reading the "Do What You Are" book and have even started looking into some preliminary info about education. I think planning my "next work" life will be the only thing keeping me sane.

I've done well since I posed last. I did OK on New Year's Eve although I had one drink more than I planned. I did the best yet at my sil's on New Year's Day. I baked my chicken cutlet (the rest were fried) and I had one little bite of Tony's apple pie (my sil had about 4 desserts on the table). After that, I popped a Tastation into my mouth (a hard, chocolate candy that's 3 for 1 pt) and that was it! I did strength on Monday and a 1/2 hour step tape on Tuesday. I gave myself a rest day yesterday but plan on getting on the bike today. My deficit is being whittled down and my sneak peek is still up but must less so.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 01-03-2002, 10:38 AM   #10  

Karen, enjoy your run on the beach with the dogs, hope they don't decide to take a dip! I took the puppies home to their real mother Monday and it is very quiet around here, I really miss those cute little bundles of fur!

Carla, same thing happened when I bought a new scale, it weighed heavier. Loved the part about the imaginary friend's birthday, LOL! Sorry you got stuck eating the cake, and yes it was me that ate the cake last week.

Jennifa, I'll join you for the Valentine's Day challenge, but I think 10 pounds is realistic for me. BTW, saw Chopra on Larry King Live last night, he's a very interesting fellow. I'm going to look for some of his books.

Well, we finally put Ubu to sleep yesterday. After 15 years it was hard to let go, but I know it was the right thing to do. The very eery thing is that I keep hearing him barking to come in. It's almost driving me to drink, but I settled for a pint of Ben and Jerry's instead.

Last edited by Phoinix; 01-03-2002 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:04 AM   #11  

Michele, sorry to hear about your dad's friend. Hope you have a safe trip. Dongrats on your fabulous loss!

Judy, we were posting at the same time. I am so happy you're back exercising and that you did so well over the weekend. Good luck with the new career plans.

I'm off to the salon for a manicure and hairdo, my one weekly luxury. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-03-2002, 11:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone from cold, but sunny, Chicago.

Karen B - My old scale was the dial w/the needle kind and it was hard to read. I love the small increments on the new one because every 10th of a point helps. Of course, on the flip side what might have looked like a maintain in the past could show up as a small gain. But that's important to know too. I envy you your run on the beach. Ok, I don't really envy your run, but I do envy your beach. Enjoy! And let us know how you like balancelog.

Judy - Sounds like your firmly back on track. Keep up the good work. The birthday party for Ana's imaginary friend was cute - we had to put candles on the cake and sing. Before Christmas she took one of her toys, wrapped it, and put it under the tree for him. Let me know how you like Do What You Are. I don't know if I'll make it until I figure out what I want to do and find a new job.

Karen C - I'm so sorry that you had to put Ubu down. In the end its the kinder thing to do for the animal, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with, I'm sure. May the memory of him soon bring you joy rather than sadness.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. My first day back at work combined with a knee that is hurting something awful and a child that took two hours to go to sleep led to some emotional snacking. I went over, but only by two points, so I'm not going to sweat it.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 01-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #13  
Canadian, eh?

Moi? Run on the beach....nope its the dogs who run, I stroll. And yes, they both swim and get soaked and stinky. Unfortunately, it started pouring with rain just after I posted, so we're maintaining a holding pattern waiting for the weather to improve!

Carla, two points over with a day like that isn't bad. Drink, drink, drink (water only!!)

Karen C, may your dear Ubu rest in peace. You'll miss him terribly, but you did the right thing.

Judy, glad to hear that you're back on track. Planning a career change will keep you going through the rough spots at work for now. Way to go with your
New Year's eve/day moderation.

bye for now...Karen B
Old 01-03-2002, 12:42 PM   #14  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

I only have a moment...

Judy, you might also try taking the STRONG assessment test; it measures your interests and aptitudes at different careers. It is often available at local university career centers or community colleges for a small fee and is totally personalized to YOU. I know several people who have been thinking about career changes who have been helped by this test.

Phoinix, I am so sorry to hear about Ubu. He is probably wagging his tail at you right now for giving him such a wonderful life. Hang in there.

Me, I'm trying hard to stay OP but hanging in there.... it's worth it to stay.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:53 AM   #15  

Good Morning! Thanks you for all your thoughts about my dads friend. It was a very sad service and my dad is going to be lost for some time.

I am still managing to stay OP but I have not worked out all week. I am going tonight for the 1st time in 8 days. Shame all over me.

Judy-Good luck with the soul/job searching. I wish I had the nerve to leave my job, or the ability to just not work at all for awhile. Great job staying on track for the New Year.

Carla-The party for your daughters "friend" sounded so cute, sorry about the cake though. I hope things are looking up for you at work now that you are back.

Karen-Beach? Lucky you! Good Luck with the BalanceLog.

Karen-So sorry to hear about Ubu. I know it must have been a very hard decision. Ben and Jerrys?! YUM!

Jennifa-Keep hanging in there, it is worth it.

Pat-I hope everything is ok with you and yours.

You all have a great weekend. No big plans here, just packing and trying to find a bathing suit.
Closed Thread