Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #1  
Registered Loser

S/C/G: 205/157/157

Height: 5' 5" male

Question Warmup and exercise intensity 52/male

I have just started lifting weights after 2 years of inactivity. I've been lifting for about 2 months. I own one 2, 5, 10, 15 lb weights. I also own adjustable weights but I don't like to constantly have to alter the weights. I start with a warmup by moving my arms to mimic how the weights are lifted. I then do a set of 12 with the 2, 5,10 weights. I then did 2 sets of 8 with the 15 lb. weight. I then lift the 15 lb weight till I can't lift anymore in proper form. I perform a series of 4 exercises. (not sure of the names)

My questions are. Is this enough of a warmup? How intense should I push since I'm 52 years old 5' 5" 176 lbs. I read seniors should only lift moderately. I enjoy lifting and like to push the last reps.
qazwsx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #2  
Mel

Back tonight....You're hardly a "senior"! The short answer is warm up your whole body, not just your arms. I suspect that lifting the 2 - 5 pounds weights constitutes a warmup.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmmm, I'm a 62 year old woman, and I still push the last reps! I do a 10-15 minute warm-up on either an elliptical or a stationary bike. Last resort I'll use a treadmill, but it bothers my knees. Please note this is for warm-up to lifting, not necessarily at a high cardio rate. I do cardio work after weights, or on other days. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to move to higher weights, and more exercises.

There are lots of good books to help you work out a routine, and we've had a number of threads about them. You also want to change your routine every 4-6 weeks (or as Mel does, every day! ) to keep your muscles from being attuned to what you're doing and working less hard. (I'm not saying this well, but basically your body gets very efficient at a routine and it doesn't burn as many calories or make as much progress).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #4  
Registered Loser

Thank you WaterRat and Mel. Thank you for your input and advice. I will continue lifting with the same intensity. Weight training is great, since you have your own weights and don't have to go out to a gym or pay a membership. Lifting weights is great and a great way to exercise.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #5  
Mel

For warmups, I generally do the exercise with a light weight or no weight. For example, if I'm working legs, I'll do 12 or so body weight squats and a few unweighted lunges, then squat with an unloaded bar. This is not a working set, just a lubricate the joints set.

BTW, we are the same age.

Lifting weights is great- and I'm convinced it is the fountain of youth. So quit the "senior" stuff, add more variety and intensity!

You can also do a lot of bodyweight exercises with no additional equipment. Remember the good ole pushup? If you aren't up to full military pushups, start against a wall, or on your knees. You'll be doing full ones in no time The are a fantastic full body exercise which primarily targets the chest.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

If wall pushups are too easy, you can also do them on the stairs. You would be on the floor (or a landing) on your feet and your arms would be up about 3-4 stairs, wherever your arms land naturally as you lean into the stairs. This gives you about a good angle i believe, and my goal is to work my way down the stairs until I am on the same level with my feet.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #7  
Registered Loser

Talking

Thanks for all the tips for doing pushups. I tried to do them from my knees and managed 6. You have to be in good shape to do pushups. I seem to be building strength, and the workout goes faster. I'll work on it and how many I can do.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:39 AM   #8  

Hrbabe,

What a GREAT tip for the pushups!
I already use my open staircase for assisted pullups. Now I can try this pushup thing too!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Great staircase tip Fran.

On a related note, if you are working out at a gym, a similar type progression would be to use the bar on the Smith machine. Start at a height you can do for about 10 reps and progress by setting the bar lower each time until you are doing them on the floor. It's the same progression as the staircase when the staircase is not available.

Also, if there are no staircases or smith machines available but you have something sturdy overhead to attach a band to, you can do band assisted pushups much the same way as band assisted pullups.

Of the three methods though, I like Fran's staircase method best as it allows for a more natural hand position. I like bands the least of the three here. However, I prefer all three to the pushup from the knee, however. It seems they work the stabilizing muscles of the core more.

Last edited by Depalma; 08-05-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Thanks guys! They are seriously hard too! I really feel them and it takes alot to eek out my quota! I have not been able to move down a stair yet, but have been able to increase my reps. When i get to 30, I'm dropping down a step. I also like them better bc they are not so hard on the knees.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, great idea. With my knee problems, I have had no choice but to do wall pushups, which I find too easy. I do have a staircase though, and unless someone opens the door and wipes me out, this should work.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote