Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I plan to visit every day if possible. I want to get to know each of you and share more about myself. I am 60 yrs. old and just recently retired from work. I enjoy staying home, but I am an emotional eater and hope that does not affect my dieting success. Please share tips on this condition.

Last edited by AuntChuChu; 07-13-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/] [img]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-egg/lb/290/250/283/.png[/img] [/url]
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #2  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Welcome AuntChuChu! I look forward to getting to know you. I'm new here and let me tell you that this place can be addicting. In a good way of course.

If I can please give you a one important tip, which I'm working very hard to do myself, is that you have to speak positively to yourself and about your weight loss. In one of my college classes we are learning about how the power of the tongue directly creates what we think and do. Any words that are negative go into your brain and become fact. So instead of saying that you are an "emotional eater," try to say things like, "I have control over my emotions and my eating." Now this isn't going to become true over night, but if you say it long enough it will become true.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome. I still struggle with emotional eating myself and don't really have any advice to offer.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi ,
I am a SAHM and without a car most days it is challanging. I would recommend getting all junk food, fried foods,ect ... out of the house. If you are able to get out of the house, joing a club or something go for it. The more you are out of the house, the more you won't over eat.

cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #5  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I'm with everyone else... try to get out and get some fresh air.. do a hobby.. journal.. call a friend. I think a lot of us deal with eating for our emotions. It is a matter of committment. Just say NO.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

Pita - Thanks for the reminder about positive thinking. It was one of my keys to success the first few weeks I did this, and I have sort of let it get away. It's a great tool!

Cheryl - I second your recommendation to get all of the junk out of the house. I am rarely tempted to go buy something I shouldn't have, but when I know I have something in the kitchen I shouldn't have, it calls to me. And getting out of the house is good, too. I know when my husband brings home pizza or something else I don't need, I often choose that time to go for a walk or bike ride.

And my two cents - if retirement means that you have some time to fill (and I know it doesn't for everyone!), use it to become as educated as you can about successful weight loss strategies. Different things work for different people, and I think you will find hope in the success of others and find strategies that will work for you. Also, if you're a cook, what better time to experiment in the kitchen? Even if you're not a cook, you can still try different things. I watched an episode of Roseanne the other night when I was doing my strength training. Dan had just had a heart attack and was complaining about the health food. Roseanne was feeding him some unidentifiable health food and saying, while he closed his eyes to imagine, "Here comes the steak. Here comes the shrimp scampi." Terrible! I LOVE so many varieties of fresh fruit and vegetables, many of which I'd never eaten before. Find what you love, and enjoy eating it. You can't deprive yourself for the rest of your life, so I think it's much better to educate yourself on how to enjoy this new way of life.

Emotional eating is really tough. I know it's been discussed several times recently, so going through the archives might be helpful. For me, exercise is really great at helping me deal with my emotions. I know that others plan for emotional eating and eat healthy foods. The most important thing I've come to understand from this board, though, is that it's possible to make mistakes and start again - again and again and again. That simple truth is making all of the difference for me this time around.

Laurie
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm retired (not by choice), too. My advice: exercise, volunteer, and plan your meals. I eat every three hours, which works well for me.

Here's a thread from a recent discussion that you might enjoy:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117345
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote