Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #1  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Default Weight Training and Your Core

I've recently increased the amt. of weights I'm using to the heaviest I can lift and reaching failure at the end of each set. I'm seeing much more definition in my arms in just about 2 wks. of this. I also do interval cardio 3 x/wk on the TM and do a very brisk 1.5 mile dog walk 3-4 x/wk. I'm following the 28 Day Body Shapeover workout (by Brad Schoenfeld) and he only throws ab work in once a week. (I do wt. work and cardio same day, 3x/wk). I've only done some ab stuff last Friday but I'm feeling my abs - mostly the sides - as if I've been doing side crunches and stuff. I know lifting weights requires core strength but are the heavier weights that I'm using for my workouts actually strenghening my abs as well? Seriousy, I feel like I've been working them intentionally.

Another question -- does anyone have any alternate exercises to push ups? Friday's workout will require these and due to tendonitis in my left hand (thumb and index finger running up to the wrist and beyond) I simply cannot put any kind of pressure on my hand. Even when the tendonitis isn't bothering me, I have to really watch it and favor that hand. I'm looking for something other than flat/incline presses and flat/incline flyes to fill in for the pushups. Thanks!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Jo,

When you are lifting weights you do rely upon your core muscles for stablization. An increase in the weight load requires your core to work a little harder to keep you centered. So yes, you are right. You did work those muscles harder and are really feeling it today.

I would not rely on just increasing weight or resistance as a reliable way to train your core. If you wish to continue to increase the amount of weight resistance you use it will be necessary to strengthen your core so that it will not become overtaxed when it is "called into action" whether you are lifting or running.

Having a strong core, muscles that support the spine, scapula, and pelvis, is a preventative measure against injury. I had to learn this one for myself. I skipped all core work the first year I began lifting and running. I thought that my core was getting enough benefits from just the lifting. Ten months into it I injured myself. First thing my pt worked on during recovery was, yep you guessed it, core work.

I tend to work my core everyday but this does not mean that I do only crunches everyday. There are tons of core exercises. Some that are in my rotation are prone planks, side planks supermans I call them superwomans, bridging, isometric abdominal tightening and of course, crazy variations of ab crunches.

Great job with your weight increases in lifting . Just make sure that your core gets the attention it deserves so that it is ready when you are. It's also really cool to feel strength in your core muscles. You just feel so much more powerful
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I agree with Lydia. You are using your core to stabilize yourself when you do many of your compound exercises. That can be either a blessing or a curse, depending upon whether your core is strong enough. I wouldn't count on these as the method to build your core but to reinforce it (along with continuing core work) once you've developed. Lydia gave some great suggestions to start building the core. I would also do some unweighted or very light balance disk work as well to build those stabilizers without putting them under a heavy load.

I've heard it said that noted fitness expert Bill Hartman (co-creator of the "Inside-Out Ultimate Upper Body Warmup DVD) claims to not let a client load more than his body weight until they can hold the plank position for 2 minutes and the side plank for 90 seconds on each side.

As for replacing the pushing exercises you mentioned without being able to pressure on your left hand is going to be tough. Perhaps instead of pushups, you can figure out a way to modify the dolphin pose so that it works the chest more.

As for replacing flyes, if you have access to the type of of pec deck that you use your elbows and forearms instead of your hands, then that will work. Other than that, I'm at a loss.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote