Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Tried to lift today--ouch! A question. . .

I hit the six-week mark today so the break in my right elbow should be healed. The doctor had said that lifting weights wouldn't reinjure the bone so today I started doing everything two-handed rather than just lifting with one arm. I can't believe how painful it is. Not the muscles, but the elbow. The tricep extension was the worst. I used to do 70 lbs. Today at 22 lbs., my face was all scrunched up in pain. Bicep curls were next on the pain-o-meter. If the bone is all healed, I can't figure out why it's so painful.

So those of you who have had injuries, how long before you got back to your previous lifting levels?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #2  
Mel

Yikes! Where is the pain? Do mean muscle failure pain or actual pain in the elbow? If you have joint pain, I'd suggest calling or going back to the doc before you continue!

If you mean strength loss, mine has always come back very quickly, except for a torn hamstring that took almost a full year to heal It was a very slight tear that didn't need surgical repair- but I couldn't actually lift any weight with it for months. I was able to use it, and maintained mass by doing hamstring rollouts on a stability ball, but I couldn't do any standing or lying curls at all. It really did take a year to get fill range of motion and strength back.

I've had clients rehab rotator cuff surgical repairs with me and it's taken up to six months. But your muscle is most likely just atrophied and it shouldn't take that long. With a torn muscle or ligament, I think it takes longer for the soft tissue to heal for weight bearing.

Hope all goes well

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Sheila

Sorry to hear about your broken arm and continued pain when lifting. This must be incredibly frustrating for you. Wow, you could do 70lbs in triceps extensions? I'm so not worthy.

In your message you said that it's been six weeks since the break and that it should be healed. I'm assuming an xray indicated that it was healed properly at this point. Muscle pain is very different than a broken bone and at this point you certainly know the difference. Could it be connective tissue like ligaments though?

Obviously if it is causing pain you will want to take things slow. This is so hard to do. This time last year I developed a stress fracture in my femur. Major ouch. My sports doc had indicated that he could have me running again in about eight to twelve weeks, not to worry. Guess what, I spent Halloween and Thanksgiving on crutches. The crazy thing didn't heal completely until January. Granted, I didn't exactly "stay on the couch" until this fall so perhaps if I would have it would not have taken as long...

I still get aches in my hip from my "healed" injury if I push too hard . I've learned to just back off immediately because even being able to do just half of what I used to do is still better than "sittin' on the couch."

I'll be interested to read some of the other replies you receive on this question. I'm sure that the healing rate in each bone is different based upon blood supply, how inactive or isolated from activity the muscles/tendons/ligaments were during recovery. Could physical therapy be necessary? I don't know.

What a bummer though. I know your frustration.

Hey, just saw Mel's post and she's right. If it's joint pain, schedule another appointment with your physician. Hope you are back to your double handed lifting soon!

Last edited by Lydia227; 04-24-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hey, thanks for the replies. Hhmm, I think it's more pain right at the break site so maybe it's like Lydia's hip. As long as I can't predict weather with my elbow pain! My muscles are sore this morning, too, which I'm really glad to feel again. I lift tomorrow so I'll see how that goes. If it's still as painful, maybe I'll make a dr. appt. to ask about it.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote