100 lb. Club - What do you eat for breakfast..

View Full Version : What do you eat for breakfast..

southernleftylady
04-04-2007, 07:57 AM
ok i hate veggies and eggs... fish and alot of fruits... ;) lol
so what do you eat for breakfast?
I am eatting a bowl of special K is that ok???
im looking for some new ideas :)

rockinrobin
04-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Special K is fine calorie wise. But for me, I just didn't find it filling enough - at all. I was hungry in no time after eating it. So for me, it's not good at all. Being full and satisfied is what I need to stay on plan.

I now eat 1/2 cup Fiber One Cereal mixed with 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal with 1/2 cup skim milk. That's lots of protein and lots and lots of fiber. Keeps me satisfied for hours.

Dawn2Dusk
04-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Nothing but my cup of coffee. :o

JennW
04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Cereal and milk just makes me hungrier. I typically have between 150-200 calories of carbs (granola bar, dry cereal, oatmeal, etc.) and around 100 calories worth of fresh fruit (apple, nectarine, 1-2 plums, 2 apricots, etc.). This way my breakfast stays at or below 300 calories.

I've noticed that if I eat more for breakfast, I want to eat more all day. If I start the day off light (250 calories) I have a better chance of staying in control the rest of the day. :-)

Slashnl
04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Bacon and eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, french toast, waffles...

Just dreaming here. I used to love having big breakfasts (part of the problem, ya think?). Best meal of the day. Now I go for hard boiled eggs and some vegetable juice. You can eat and drink that on the way to work!!!

I have bantam chickens and they lay little bitty eggs. Great for hard boiled!!

rockinrobin
04-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Bacon and eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, french toast, waffles...

You had me there for a minute. ;) Sure does sound good though.

LitChick
04-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Here's some examples of my breakfasts:

Egg with two Morningstar Farms 'sausage' patties

1/2 cup of old-fashioned (not instant!) oatmeal

2 pieces of shredded wheat (large not minis)

2 Kashi go-lean wheat waffles with a bit of SF syrup

Regardless of what I eat, I also drink a glass of V8 with it. I've tried a couple other things, but I find the things above help fill me for a longer period. If you're going to eat cereals, go for those that are high in fiber, preferably made with whole grains, and low in sugar.

I used to never eat breakfast, and sometimes not even lunch. Then I'd start eating mid-afternoon and wouldn't stop until bedtime! So eating breakfast has been a big change in my eating habits, and it took some getting used to, but I find that it gives me more energy in the morning - and since I'm not a morning person, I need all I can get!

sept15lija
04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
I eat 1 cup of kashi go lean crunch and 1 cup of skim milk, almost without fail!
Sometimes I mix it up and have 1/2 a cup of the cereal and a cut up banana in it. I LOVE it and find that the protein keeps me really full and the fibre keeps me, uh, regular! :o

nelie
04-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I generally have a light breakfast. It will either be a smoothie or a shake of some sort that I make myself. My current quick before work breakfast is half Ultimate Meal (vegan greens shake) and half protein powder mixed in water. It will usually last me until lunch or near until lunch at which time I eat something a bit heartier.

On the weekends, I'll have the same shake as above but mixed with blueberries and frozen banana in a blender.

Casey4
04-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I was eating steel oats with a few walnuts and a fruit, but recently I mixed it up a bit and I have been eating the Fiber One with skim milk, a few strawberries and walnut halves. It is just nice to have a something crunchy for a change. I think you should experiment a little and see what gives you energy and fills you up. I'll tell you I never thought I would like steel oats or Fiber One, but once you start changing your food choices toward healthy your body starts to crave this type of food. Amazing, isn't it?

Kathy

jillybean720
04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
If I want something cold, I make a smoothie (frozen banana, vanilla protein powder, skim milk). It tastes like melted ice cream to me :D

For something hot, I got for oatmeal (I do instant since I just add water to make it at work). There are a lot of instant oatmeals now that are not unhealthy--they are "instant" because the oats are sliced thinner than non-instant varieties, but they are still whole grains.

I don't like veggies, either, and had so many eggs on South Beach a few years ago that I now can't stomach them for more than one morning in a row, so I don't eat them very often.

rockinrobin
04-04-2007, 10:07 AM
My tastes have definitely changed. I couldn't imagine eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes or any of those other high sugar cereals any more. I actually look forward to and love the taste of Fiber One. Love it.

Casey I like the idea of adding some berries to it. I think I will give it a try.

Charbar
04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
This morning was a treat.. but still low in calories.

one fried egg (w/ pam)
farmer's toast w/ a tiny amount of butter...

200 calories total.. and yummy!!

Cheryl14
04-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I love breakfast! I'm up by 5:00AM on most days and really am ready to EAT! Here are my favorite breakfasts:

1) Oatmeal, fresh strawberries, Yoplait Boston Cream Pie Non-fat yogurt

2) Eggbeater omelette made with Eggbeaters, fresh chives or green onions, pepper, Tabasco sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

3) Leftovers from dinner (Chicken or fish or pork with vegetables)

4) Peanut butter on a pita (a FANTASTIC on-the-way-out-the-door breakfast!)

5) apples and peanut butter

Cheryl

bizlawchik
04-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Here are some of my usual things...

SlimFast Optima (150) w/ a rf string cheese (70) and an apple (80) = 300 calories

Western Bagel's Alternative bagel (110) w/an egg fried in Pam (75) and a slice of rf cheese (40) and an apple or other fruit (80) = 305 calories

Smoothie w/protein powder (60) and 1/2c crushed pineapple (75) and a rf string cheese (70) = 205 calories

3/4c Fiber one (92), 3/4c blueberries (60) and 3/4c skim milk (64) = 216 calories

RitzyFritz
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
My breakfast 99% of the time is 1 cup (cooked) of oatmeal, 7 walnut halves, 1 tablespoon honey, and a little bit of Stevia mixed all together. Then, I have 1 cup of frozen wild blueberries on the side. I stay full for a long time (usually until about 12 or 1 p.m.) and it is healthy. After eating this breakfast for so long now, if for some reason I am unable to have the above, I find that I get hungry pretty quick - like 1 hour later. I'm surprised to hear some of you say that you need to eat a light breakfast to stay light in your eating all day. I find just the opposite true. If I eat the above breakfast which is pretty nutrition rich, I find that I eat less the rest of the day because I got satisfied in the morning. So funny how we are all so different! But, then again, that is what makes this an interesting place to live isn't it? LOL! :D

Mrs Quadcrew
04-04-2007, 11:44 AM
I have 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, 1/2 cup of berries of some sort, 1/4 teaspoon of agave nectar, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon all mixed together, with 2 cups of black coffee every day. It fills me up, and it is easy to do (I make the oats in a big batch and just keep them in the frig - microwave as needed!)

Goddess Jessica
04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
1/2 cup of oatmeal and whatever berries I have on hand.
or
1 Western Alternative Bagel (onion) with light cream cheese
or
Fiber One Honey Clusters and skim milk

SexyRevealed
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I love Special K Protein Plus. I'll eat 1.5 cups along with 8 oz of milk and some walnuts on the side for some healthy fat.

In the winter, I was loving Quaker Weight Control Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal.

In a rush, I'll grab an Egg McMuffin from McD's.

And on the weekends, I'll make a homemade version with canadian bacon, egg whites, and cheese on whole wheat toast.

HeatherAngel
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
HI all! Interesting thread...

I'll often skip breakfast, but usually when I am up late, or ate a 'big' dinner the night before.

My choices are pretty simple and don't really vary: I'll have a blueberry Eggo, or even two, if I am going to be to busy for an early lunch (100 calories each), or if I really need some starchy comfort, I'll splurge and have a piece of 12 grain toast with a tblspn of peanut butter and a bit of jam - lunch those days is invariably a salad.

Don't know if that is of any interest to anyone but me, but there you go! :D

Heather

LindseyLouWho
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
For breakfast I tend to get into a processed rut with those South Beach Diet meal replacement bars with a side of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt. They're just so easy to grab on my way out the door and paired with my general laziness in the morning, it's just the way it works. However, if I've left myself a few spare minutes, some things I have for breakfast are:

-1/2 c Fiber One and a cup of lowfat milk with some type of fruit on the side or hardboiled egg
-2 egg scramble with spinach, tomato, parmesan cheese, and onion with either fruit, yogurt, or cottage cheese
-Two slices of Nature's Own Sugar Free 100% Whole Wheat bread with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and one of the sides mentioned above.

I'm pretty boring. I'm usually too sleepy in the morning to really think hard about what I want, considering usually all I want is MORE SLEEP... haha. I did, however, buy some organic instant oatmeal that I might try one morning if I can figure out what to pair it with (probably an egg or something) to where it won't throw my carb ratios off for the whole day.

cantforgetthis
04-05-2007, 03:47 AM
I have a smoothie almost every morning of my life with NF plain yogurt, unsweetened natural cranberry juice, any kind of frozen fruit, whey protien isolate, ground flax seed and stevia.

If not that, I have a sprouted grain english muffin with hummus or raw natural almond butter or hard boiled eggs with veggies.

Penney
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
I finally found steel cut oats and figured out how to make them.

I love them - they are so filling and so good.

I eat them just about every morning.

Sheila53
04-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Some yummy ideas here. :)

I don't really eat a breakfast per se since I eat mini-meals timed with my workouts. Today before I worked out, I ate a hardboiled egg (white only) stuffed with hummus and a green olive and I added 1/2 c Fiber One and 1/4 c milk because I knew I'd be doing cardio for an hour after I did weightlifting. I got home around 11:00 am and had an egg salad sandwich (made w/celery, onion, green olives, ff mayo, mustard) on light whole wheat bread and an orange. I really like eating ff cottage cheese, blueberries and walnuts in the morning, too, either before or after a workout, and I eat canned salmon, carrots, and fruit.

My DH is supposed to lose 10 lbs. on doctor's orders. He asked his doctor if he had to eat the "weird" stuff I eat. :lol:

pinupdreams
04-06-2007, 03:59 AM
a regular size bowl cereal. either total, special k or cherrios.

Dawn2Dusk
04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Okay, I just changed my breakfast after realizing how unhealthy it is.

So now, I usually eat:

1/2 cup Fiber One
1/2 cup Special K Protein Plus
1 banana, cut up into slices
1 cup soymilk.

I've been having that for the past two days and it's so filling.

NickiB68
04-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I was reading through and saw a lot of people are eating steel cut oats. Can you get them in the grocery store? Or do you have to find a health food store? I have to find something easy, healthy and filling to replace my pop-tart habit! :no:

My doc mentioned eating more protein in the morning and less carbs. I found some interesting recipes for parfaits made using grape nuts, cottage cheese and fruit. And 2 eggs with veggies in a half of a whole wheat pita. I normally eat some fruit or yogurt about mid-morning.

:easter3:

nelie
04-08-2007, 02:54 PM
I've seen steel cut oats in the grocery store but I think in general you can get them cheaper in a health food store. Trader Joes carries them as well as Whole foods.

rockinrobin
04-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Quaker Oats does make Steel Cut Oats and it should be there in any of the major grocery store food chains, right next to the Old Fashioned and Quick oats.

royalsfan1
04-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Some of my favorite breakfasts include:

1) Robin's specialty - 1/2 c FiberOne, 1/2 c Kashi Go Lean Crunch, 1/2 c skim milk.

2) Light yogurt with 1/2 c FiberOne

3) Whole wheat tortilla, laughing cow, Egg fried in Pam, sauteed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. McDonalds has NOTHING on my breakfast burrito!!!! If I'm wanting to keep my cholesterol down for the day I'll use 2-3 egg whites scrambled rather than the fried egg.

4) Same as above only instead of the egg I'll add a piece of broiled fish (sorry, I know you said you don't like it...but I love this!)

5) Slimfast Optima - Cappucino Delight Shake

6) 1 c of grapes and 1 oz cheddar cheese (doesn't sound like much but for some reason I find it pretty filling)

7) 1 c steel cut oatmeal, brown sugar, skim milk

8) A banana wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla spread with 1 Tbsp sugar free, natural, organic peanut butter. This is a little high in calories but I make up for it with a veggie only snack later. It's VERY filling and so delicious. I consider it a real treat!

Breakfast has become a favorite meal! I find that when I just get started right...the day seems to stay right. The easiest way I find to stay on plan is to just start it out with a good breakfast. Makes me feel very motivated and empowered!

Michelle
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I always have either oatmeal or cheerios. What is steel cut oats, and what's the difference from just the plain quick oatmeal?

royalsfan1
04-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Steel cut are processed not quite so finely. Instead of being tiny flakes they are more like "cereal"....only not crunchy. When cooked up they are a little heftier...more to chew....less mush. Taste is no different. I love them!

triplettummy
04-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I alternate between Special K (the new chocolate delight one...yummy!) and egg beater with Laughing Cow lite cheese on whole grain english muffin. If I'm on the go, I take a Kashi TLC bar with me. I love the honey almond flax ones and usually keep a couple in my bag.

Monica

dandk0204
04-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Usually eggs, just whites, special k, or coffee.

jillybean720
04-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Okay, so we know where to find them and what they are--but what makes steel cut oats any better than regular oatmeal? It's all whole grains (even instant), and as long as you check your ingredients for junk, does it really make a difference?

royalsfan1
04-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Okay, so we know where to find them and what they are--but what makes steel cut oats any better than regular oatmeal? It's all whole grains (even instant), and as long as you check your ingredients for junk, does it really make a difference?

Not that I'm aware...I think that nutritionally speaking they're the same thing! :) It's just a matter of what you like better.

nelie
04-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I personally find steel cut oats more filling. Is it in my head? Possibly.

jennylou
04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I have any of the following:

egg white omelette made with 2% American cheese - stuffed with whatever I might have on hand (mushrooms, spinach, brocolli, etc).
Sometimes, I'll add some turkey bacon.

When I'm struggling to get in all of my points for a few days, I might start out with 2 eggs, over medium with two pieces of toast (with a few squirts of ICBINB).

A quick, easy breakfast is 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with one cup skim milk. And, I'll usually add a banana to that (though, I usually share the banana with my 8 month old). :)

A cold morning breakfast (and one that I also eat when I feel like my milk supply has taken a dip - usually around TOM) I'll eat oatmeal. I usually add some fruit to the oatmeal.

bellacorgi8
04-09-2007, 10:18 PM
I usually have a vitamuffin (chocolate) or a light english muffin with a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I am not a big breakfast person. I can make it fine in the AM with little food. Come 3pm though...watch out.

KylieH
04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I had to laugh. I think we all have the same stuff in our cupboards! My two cents...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Morningstar sausage on a whole wheat English muffin with a slice of 2% cheese melted nicely in the microwave. If I'm "get over yourself" healthy that day I add a slice of tomato.

Second fav: Kashi Go Lean Blueberry Waffles! Great Fiber, great taste.

Third fav: Kashi Go Lean crunch, however since I recently cracked a tooth, I have been avoiding anything that goes crunch.

Weazy
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Jillybean720....could ya forward me the amounts you use in your breakfast drink? That sounds really good, but I'm terrible at guessing the quanity of items.

jillybean720
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Jillybean720....could ya forward me the amounts you use in your breakfast drink? That sounds really good, but I'm terrible at guessing the quanity of items.
I use 1 small frozen banana (I peel them and break them in half and freeze in ziploc baggies), 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder (which is almost 1/4 cup), and about 1.5 cups skim milk (I don't measuer it--I make my smoothies in a Magic Bullet cup, so it only makes enough for 1 drink).

Runundefined
04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
I have good luck with high protein in the morning.. my staple right now is Ryevita with cheese. I love the Laughing Cow light cheese. and I love veggies (sorry) so I pretty often have V8 (a small 6 oz serving) first thing.. and a huge glass of water..

I also love low fat cottege cheese or plain yogurt with frozen blueberries and a splash of one of my Divinci SF syrups and a few walnuts or chopped Mac nuts..

I then eat fruit an hour or so later.. right now it's Banana..

I make a wonderful (this is my treat) cappuccino with skim milk made into a froth and dusted with a shot of cocoa. twice a day.. usually with breakfast and around 3:30 or 4:00pm..

I eat every couple of hours..

wip
04-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I finally found steel cut oats at my health food store. Any suggestions on how to prepare? When I am OP I like fibre one, fruit, and smoothies when I have energy.

SuchAPrettyFace
04-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Luna Bar

mindylee
04-11-2007, 07:58 AM
I typically have a breakfast bar, the pria complete nutrition bar. Sleep is just way to important to me to get up and make something :)

jillybean720
04-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Sleep is just way to important to me to get up and make something :)
This is why I often don't make my instant oatmeal until I get to work :)

LakeGirl
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I first want to add my two cents about steel cut oats suggestions. I finally found them in a health food store but have not been brave enough to try them yet. As I'm kind of new to oatmeal, I'm a little scared and I'm not sure what to mix in with it!

I love breakfast and used to skip it all the time but since starting this weight loss program a few months ago, I eat it every day! I usually have two packs of instant oatmeal. I love it and it really satisfies me!

KO
04-13-2007, 10:02 AM
4 oz cup of 2 % Cottage Cheese and a RF String Cheese
Tortilla or WW thin bread with 3 slices LF Turkey
1 hb egg with Salsa
Instant plain oats Nuked with skim or 1% and with cold milk added later sometime with raisins or craisins

SuchAPrettyFace
04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
strawberries
blueberries
6 unsalted almonds
4-6 unsalted walnut halves

Natalia
04-13-2007, 02:18 PM
The steel cut oats have been "encouraged" lately becasue they have a lower GI, keeping you full longer, not raising your blood sugar as much, and not triggering the insulin rush :)

I think it's the same idea as how all the weight loss centres say to eat "stone ground bread" becasue it digests slower, the pieces are bigger as they are ground the old fashioned way, with stones ..and steel cut oats are in bigger "pieces" so it takes longer to digest them.
I think they take awhile to make though, so if you're a night owl like me, you could have them on weekends and have the large flake during the week (still only a couple minutes in the microwave and still better for you than instant)
Or add half a scoop of protein powder to it and does it EVER stick to your ribs! lol
Someone on another board said they love chocolate oatmeal- they do just that and add the chocoalte protein powder to it. I tried it once, it tasted okay, but it was soooooooo filling!

For breakfast , I usually have:
- 2/3 cup shredded wheat and bran (mini's)
1/2 cup milk, splenda to taste, a piece of fruit and coffee or

-1 piece 12grain stone ground bread toasted with no sugar PB
3oz cottage cheese, 1/2 cup blueberries, splenda to taste and coffee
or
- break free omelet , piece of fruit, coffee

Charbar
04-13-2007, 04:26 PM
I had the most wonderful breakfast this morning. It felt like a real treat!

FRENCH TOAST! - 2 slices!!

2 slices of healthy bread.
1/4 cup egg whites with 1 T skim milk and 1t cinnamon
sugar free syrup

Sure, it may not have been the healthiest - but it was tasty! :T - and all of this for under 200 calories.. not bad :D

jillybean720
04-13-2007, 09:26 PM
The steel cut oats have been "encouraged" lately becasue they have a lower GI, keeping you full longer, not raising your blood sugar as much, and not triggering the insulin rush :)
I guess I'm just confused--aren't they all just oats? How do steel-cut oats have a lower GI if they are the same kind of oats, just cut differently? Cutting shouldn't affect a food's GI, right?

I also think instant oatmeal takes a lot more heat than it deserves. I use instant oatmeal by Kashi, which is very healthy and includes some ingredients that bring it, IMO, leagues ahead of sugary instant oatmeals. Not all instant oatmeals are created equal :^:

Natalia
04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
They have a lower gi becasue they have a longer "processing time" in your belly.
Instant oats are more processed and easier to digest, so they get digested quicker, glucose releases into your bloodstream quicker, and then in turn you get hungrier quicker because the food has been digested quicker. kwim? your tummy is emptied faster ..the processing kind of partially digests it for you..lol

Like orange juice being digested way before an actual orange, it takes your body more time and effort to digest large flake oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta..it even makes a difference how long it's cooked. Pasta al dente has a lower GI than pasta fully cooked..the cooked pasta is gummier, falls apart easier, easier to digest..lol
Sorry I don't come on this area often, I was actually doing a search earlier and thats how I found this thread :)

ibbasquish
04-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Today I had an egg sandwich. I just discovered eggbeaters and love them! i used two pieces of Natures Own double fiber bread and a slice of fat free cheddar cheese. It was scrumpdilly!!!!! It certainly didnt feel like diet food!!!!

Sometimes i skip breakfast but slip a Fiber One Cereal bar in my purse in case i become too hungry before lunch. They will not fill you up but they will tide you over. They also taste too yummy to be healthy!!!! Great tasting diet food- gotta love it!!!

jillybean720
04-14-2007, 08:18 AM
They have a lower gi becasue they have a longer "processing time" in your belly.
Instant oats are more processed and easier to digest, so they get digested quicker, glucose releases into your bloodstream quicker, and then in turn you get hungrier quicker because the food has been digested quicker. kwim? your tummy is emptied faster ..the processing kind of partially digests it for you..lol
Thanks for the explanation--you're the first person who could give me one, and I really appreciate it :) I didn't know GI had anything to do with processing--I thought it was based on the amount/type of sugar/carb in a product.

Now I'm glad I never tried a GI diet--for me, a whole grain is a whole grain, and it's good enough for me (and by "good enough," I of course mean "not too confusing"--I'd hurt my tired little brain trying to figure out that GI stuff all the time :p )! And Kashi instant oatmeal keeps me full enough for a couple hours till the next time I eat :)

becoming wisdom
04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi, Jill!

I'm a little late here, about the steel-cut oats. I believe the difference between steel-cut and more modern milling methods, is that steel cutting doesn't raise the temperature of the grains the way bulk milling does. High milling temps = denatured enzymes, broken-up proteins, reduced (overcooked) vitamins, minerals tied up in more complex (less available) compounds, starches partially broken down to sugars... all the things that make oats quicker cooking, too! In this case, the disadvantage related to processing is in the very high cutting speed, which kind of dry-cooks some of the nutrients out of the oats.

The more instant the oats, the less goodness left in them, was what I've always been told. Still, instant oats are lots better than any Super Deep-Fried Sugar O's! SO if they work for you, keep you happy, and you lose weight, what's to worry about? You found what you can stick with, and it's really healthy too. Jill, way to go!

(As for what I eat for breakfast, it's not worth mentioning right now. I'm on a Dr.-supervised VLC, no-carb diet, until either goal, or if it ever quits making good sense. Once on maintenance, my diet will look a lot more like everybody else's, and I'll get to enjoy steel-cut oats (or Red River cereal) again!)