Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default April Nursing Mommies Thread

Thought maybe if we had a monthly thread the sporadic nursing questions/support would be in one thread and easier to find?

Anyway ds will be 6 months on Tuesday so he had his first bite of "solids" today. sniff sniff He seems unimpressed.

I think I will have quite awhile before I have to worry about caloric changes for me because he nurses less....
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

Two out of three of mine didn't start solids til they were over 8 months. Definitely made life easier in its way.

I have Esther attached to me right now, I'm just waiting for her to be asleep enough for me to slip away. Gotta love laptops!

I joined a gym about 2 weeks ago. Expensive, but very nice. Includes child care, and the older two love the kids club. I love the discovery of a weight machine to work my abs. I can't do normal crunches because of my back, but this I can do & I feel it in my stomach, so I know it's doing something, though I very much doubt it's anywhere near as effective as crunches.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #3  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Me, me!

DD is almost 8 months old and although we've started solids, she still nurses just as much, I'd say. She'll eat small amounts of solids (only what I eat - no jars for us!), she still prefers the boob.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #4  

Hi all

New here....I am a nursing mama technically... my 3 yr old has yet to wean. I've nursed for years...my now 7 yr old self-weaned at just over 2 yrs of age so.......I also have counseled women for years on nursing, I manage a yahoo email list for breastfeeding and had a site breastfeeding matters that I ran.....but my thing is I don't lose weight when nursing so..........I am struggling still. My intro post is in the intro forum if anyone is interested.
CanadianMamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'm still here. Weight loss totally sucks but I just can't seem to get it together eating wise. We're still nursing 7 months strong. He started solids at 4 months and still nurses about the same. When I'm at work he still takes about 24 oz. of EBM and then nurses 2-3x with me.
I have finally started to try and ad exercise back into my life. We've been going on 30 minute walks after dinner (the whole family )
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Great idea ennay!

DD is a great nurser (she's actually just over 9 mos, I think on another thread I said she was 8! Duh! ) and we are letting her take the lead in transitioning to "big kid food" as she is interested. She really is fascinated by solid food some days and she could care less on other days-- even with the same foods!

Big household hits right now: MILK of course ! Plus, squash, sweet potato, applesauce, and overcooked rice with mashed beans.

I made a bean and rice burrito last night and she desperately wanted a piece of the action! I finger-fed her litle bits of mashed beans and rice and she went nuts for it. It even had some chipotle tabasco on it (to my great surprise, she was completely unfazed)!

Steph
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

we have added avocado to the food list, he likes that better than rice.

I mak most of my baby foods, except sometimes the cereal, especially right now whn he eats so little.

I had a hard time losing with dd, and its going really well with ds. I am being more diligent this time too.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #8  
Nursing Momma

DD only likes to eat it if it comes directly off my plate, so I will mash what I have and give it to her (within reason, none of the no-no's like eggs, nuts, shellfish, etc). She never really like purees at all.

And her favorite thing is still her milkies.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

We have a TON of allergies in my family, so I pretty much go by the superbabyfood book for awhile. Plus most of what I eat just doesnt work that well - grilled meats and salads a lot.

But I'll probably relax a bit with ds. dd I did superporridge and superyogurt and she turned 18 months and became like every other child and only wants mac & cheese, pizza, grilled cheese etc.

Yeah I got a pretty dedicated boob man here. dd was never much of an eater from any source, although she did nurse for almost 2 years, she never comfort nursed. He is definitely more into the boob than her.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #10  
Nursing Momma

ennay - the salads are the tough meals. Since, she's really not eating those yet. I will put something on my plate for just her. Or sometimes, I might throw on some avacado and give her that - it all depends, but those are the tough meals. She still wants it though! It's easier when I have a lean meat and veggie (sometimes with a side of brown rice or something like that too) - then she can have my veggies.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #11  

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this forum!

I have a 3 month old (he'll be 4 months soon) and he is EBF. I returned to work when he was 6 weeks () but pump at work (only once a day). DH stays home during the day.

I am way overweight and need to lose. I have been...I guess although my clothes fit the same.

I didn't nurse my first son (4/99), I tried...lacked the knowledge, the help, the support. This time I would have been satisfied with nursing/supplementing, so every Friday I celebrate to mark another week!

I'm not on an eating plan, I need to be. I don't exercise, I need to start!

Glad to have found you all!
Oh....at Ben's last ped. appt. they told me I could start cereal....UM NO!!!! I'd like to start at 6mo....making my own
Baby up...gotta go!!
Debbie
debnboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Debbie, welcome! good for you for waiting, even the AAP says 6 months now, but most peds still push solids.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #13  
resident lactivist

Yeah, it's kind of scary how little knowledge a lot of pediatricians have about baby feeding (and breastfeeding). You definitely need to do the research on your own. I won't hold my kid away from solid food like some women online apparently do, but it's not a good idea to rush things either, IMO.

And...honestly...the poop doesn't really stink until you add solids into the diet. Not that it smells good, but I'll take that soured milk smell over the clear-out-the-room-reek my 17-month-old produces.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #14  

Thanks for the welcome!

We had to change peds. due to insurance (long story) and at his 3 month check up they were running WAY behind and we saw a dr. that we don't like. Starting solids, now! I just nodded my head!

Last night I had a terrible stomach/back ache. I haven't had AF yet, so I don't think it's that. Now I just have a pain (dull, but achy and hurts) in my lower back...left side really. I dunno what it is? I thought maybe I pulled a muscle or leaning over when nursing. Could gas cause a pain like that?

Dh has to work today (he works for a major theme park in Orlando) so we are coloring eggs this morning (late, I know). Our 7 yo (8 soon) is all excited. The baby is asleep.

Tomorrow we are going to SeaWorld, they are having a Sunrise Easter Service...later we're heading off to a park with our good friends. We have NO family here. I'll make sure we pack healthy snacks!

Hope everyone has a great Saturday. I'll be working on pumping today to have some milk for next week. I have some frozen, but I like to have some in the fridge for the week.

Debbie
Old 04-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #15  

I made a ticker, but how do I put it on when I post? WIll I have to add it every time???

Thanks

Debbie

Last edited by debnboyz; 04-07-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: see if my sig works