Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

View Poll Results: Hi, do you think that doing a full-body workout every three days is.........
Maintainable 6 75.00%
Too much, if done for more than a week or so 1 12.50%
Will likely lead to injury 0 0%
Not enough recovery time for your muscles over the long haul to make it a regular program 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default Frequency of doing a full-body workout.......

x

Last edited by sportmom; 03-20-2007 at 11:12 AM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I chose "maintainable" because my core program, the one that I come back to the most is a 3-day a week full body workout. It actually has less recovery time than an every third day routine as it is ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF OFF. I know many others who have used 3 day a week Total Body Training for years as their base programs as well and have had no problems progressing and growing and have not suffered from an unusual level of overtraining.

That said, the choice could easily be "all of the above" as with any training program, frequency is only part of the equation. Intensity and volume must be managed correctly and either a rest or deload week should be part of the overall plan from time to time, and symptoms of overtraining should be monitored.

Something like 16-20 sets, 160-240 total reps, with about 75% compound exercises can easily be maintained IMO. I have had no problems and I do this program the majority of the time, going to 5 or 6 day splits when I get to the point where I am bored and just can't stay out of the gym or have some lagging body parts that I want to hit extra hard and do more isolation work.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #3  
Mel

I think it's quite maintainable, depending on the routine. You can't take a 4 or 5 day split and simply do it all in one day. That would really lead to overtraining! I also find that you (or I really) can't do the same full body routine endlessly- aside from the bordeom factor, it does lead to overuse of specific joints and muscles.

The only other issue if intensity. I can't lift to fatigue on any body part except arms, because there isn't time and isn't time for recovery if I've lifted that heavy.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote