Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default Ugh - I injured myself today......

LBWO, hamstring exercise. The dumbbell s/l deadlift. Was on my second set at about 25 lbs and on the second rep it was like -errrrrk - no way. Lower right back side. Don't think it's related to my spine bc it's so far to the side. Must be a muscle spasm. I tried to start over and eek out another but no way. Now I am really stiff and uncomfortable. Walking feels best, I absolutely cannot bend forward and pick things up, even off a table. It's like I broke my hinge.

Any advice other than rest? I've been doing this move since early Feb. so this is most disappointing. I hope it resolves soon. I've had a crick in my neck for the last 2 days from sleeping weird, so my whole ubwo where it came to shoulders was kind of odd with limited movement because of my stiff neck. sheesh
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Starting over

Ouch and Doh! Got that from Krista's stumptous site perhaps you could check that section and see if she has any tips.

Sorry you are ow-ing. Just wanted to send a hug and well wishes. Take care.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

If you know anyone who does yoga, there are some good stretches that would help. I have a chronic pain in my lower left back, and if I regularly do a couple of yoga stretches it helps (but so does Advil. )
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Yikes Fran You came unhinged? Can we do that? Wow. I really hope that tomorrow will not be worse but if your injuries follow the same pattern that mine do expect a pretty sore day tomorrow too.

I hope it gets better for you within the next few days. Not being able to bend over is a pretty cumbersome problem! If it doesn't seem to be improving you might want to find a good sports doc to just to check things out and put your mind to rest if nothing else. Don't you hate these little detours though.

You know, there are several of us dealing with injuries right now. I just wanted to pass on this book I found at our library. The American Physical Therapy Book of Body Maintenance and Repair. It could be useful for all of us to have this in our personal libraries for when the need arises.

Last edited by Lydia227; 03-14-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #5  
Mel

EEK! Sounds like a chronic injury that I have. Sorry I didn't see this when you posted because (unpleasant as this sounds) you should ice it right away. I use frozen peas or those gel packs. If It's still in spasm, Rest, Ice, Ibuprophen (as long as you don't have problems with anti-inflammatories). The last word in the acronym RICE is "elevate" but that only makes sense for a limb.

Most people reach for heat, but ice is what you want. Then alternate heat and ice in 20 minute cycles.

My favorate therapy is a deep tissue massage.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #6  

Now for some reason my neck is actually acting even worse, so I look like a total zigzag walking around, which I know does not help. I need to lie flat so I can relax instead of tensing in pain. I'll tell ya what tho - I'm done with those s/l deadlifts though. Just pulled out my 4 exercise books to look for another hamstring exercise because I sure don't want to repeat this energy. I also do a bent knee dumbbell lift which is supposed to work more of the back - I may need to give up both, not sure exactly which one caused, or perhaps contributed to, this issue.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #7  
Mel

Fran- do you have a biggish stability ball? Hang face up over it with enough of your head hanging down that it puts a slight pull on your spine and neck. As long as you don't get sea sick in this position, it's like traction. Do it for a minute or so. It's great for unkinking necks and upper backs.

The neck issue is probably due to the lower back problem.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #8  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Oh Fran, I'm so sorry for you. I hope you feel better soon!!!

Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #9  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I've been away and only just seen this. Poor Fran! How are you feeling now?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #10  

I'm better, but unfortunately it moved up to my neck. That's finally starting to feel better, but it's one of those yucky neck things that is worse every morning when you wake up. I've been trying various sleeping positions, but it didn't really get better I went back to my normal position!! I think working on the computer in the bed for the days my back hurt really messed with my neck. Bad angle or something.

But I'm replacing the s/l deadlift with a hamstring curl, and the bent knee dumbbell lift with the overhead lying lift. I'm also going back to my 3 day split. I think doing a full-body every third day might have been too much for me as well, since I never got an injury in 6 months until I had been doing fbwo for about 2 weeks.