Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #1  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Smile A Few QUICK Questions

First, thank you all who provided information and links for the millions of questions I was asking the previous week. It's very much appreciated (and thanks for not kicking me outta here for being impatient! )

Mel, you provided a link to Skiwgg's Blog - love this site; very informative and she is just too funny - and I was wondering if you had ever tried Craig Ballantyne's 7 Minute Weight Loss Circuit plan that is linked on Skwigg's site (http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/). Is this plan something that could be done in addtion to a more traditional weight training routine or instead of a more traditional weight training routine.

I was also wondering if anyone had ever tried Craig Ballantyne's Turbulence Training program. This is the link to the TT site http://www.turbulencetraining.com/?hop=skwigg. It provides the basic information on the program but of course, you have to buy the plan in order to get the whole routine, etc. Again, just wondering if a plan like this is the best course to take to lose weight and shape muscle - I am looking to lose about 35 lbs. and to just shape it all up - or if a more traditional program like BFL is a better approach. TT caught my eye because it doesn't have you spending more than an hour a day exercising; it seemed pretty much get in, work your butt off, get done, get on w/your day.

Stupid person that I am last Monday decided to do a full UB workout (bi, tri, chest, shoulders, back) doing 3 sets of 3 exercises per body part. Was in excruciating bicep pain for three days -- literally could not extend my arms. Who do I think I am, Mighty Mouse? Ha, more like Underdog. And no, I don't actually know what I was thinking!! Am starting over again in about an hour; taking it much, much easier. Am also understanding the concept of interval training - I had been doing this but not at an intense level - and am going to try this out this week as well.

Thanks for any thoughts on this stuff.

Jo

Last edited by Is that really me; 02-20-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yeah I did the 7 minute thing. Personally I wouldn't use ONLY that to lose weight/build strength. I did it and could do it all quite easily. It's fun to do if you're bored at home and go nothing else to do but I wouldn't rely on solely that workout. Plus you'd get so BORED of it at about the 3rd day probably

I haven't tried turbulence training, but I think there are quite a lot of videos on You Tube so you probably don't really need to fork out for the whole package.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I haven't tried any of the first 2 items, but congrats on that mighty bicep training! Might Mouse not for long!! It's hard to get the biceps sore (in my experience), so you must have really worked them hard! Keep it up!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #4  
Mel

Hi Jo,
I never looked at the entire Turbulence Training program, but I've watched a lot of his videos on YouTube. Lots of good training info out there on YouTube!

I really doubt that a 7 minute circuit is going to be all that useful unless you are woefully out of shape, and then it should help you for about 3 weeks.

BFL or most other "programs" are designed to get you done your workout in an hour or less. The general feeling is that a workout that takes more than an hour can be counterproductive in terms of muscle building. I'm not as enthralled by BFL as I used to be because of the muscle isolation isuue, but it is a great program for getting started and building strength, getting into good exercise and nutrition habits.

I think I'll go take a look at the Turbulence site.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote