Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default First vs subsequent pregnancies

Hello again,

Seems like I just signed off about 6 months ago when DD stopped breastfeeding, but now DH and I are planning #2 next year, TTC starting sometime in January. My first pregnancy was, well, hmmm, awful, and I'm trying to prepare myself mentally for what lies ahead. Yes, it was all worth it in the end, many times over, which is why we're doing it again!

So for those of you who have gone through this experience more than once, how similar where your pregnancies to each other? Were differences subtle or major? Did any complications repeat? FWIW, the first time around I had scary amounts of bleeding, 7 months of nausea, unbelievable fatigue, 60+ lbs of weight gain (!!) and a couple bouts of pre-term labor which were successfully stopped. DD was breech and we ended up with a C-section at 38 weeks. I learned a few lessons the first time around and won't repeat some of my mistakes, but I'm still a little nervous about the things out of my control.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:09 AM   #2  

Wow, I think I'd be scared too!
I have had 8 pregnancies and 7 live births. All were so different!
My last 4 were very.......yuck!
MS very bad, tired very easy, but the good news is that it was much easier to maintain my weight after my 1st pregnancy.

My 1st I was 25 yrs old and had tons of energy but I gained 55 pound that seemed to take forever to get off, no MS at all and I felt really good.

I think for your age and preg # you will again be tired, but hopefully no blood loss or other complications.
My SIL had a very scary pregnancy and then the next one was 100% normal!

Did you ever find out what was causing the complications?
Mine turned out to be gall bladder disease and I had surgery.
Makes me wonder if my last 4 pregnancies would have been better if my GB was removed sooner!
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

My second pregnancy was significantly easier than my first. Less weight gain, morning sickness only in first tri, felt great and enjoyed it more. 1st baby was a month premature and in NICU for 9 days, 2nd was 10 days late and smiling the first week. I wonder if they could tell from inside the womb how much better it was??
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #4  

Wow. You did go through a lot. I'm still in my second pg, and thus far, it's the same as last time (blood pressure and weight gain are a little lower, but nothing significant). My first pg was uncomplicated, and so far this one is too.

I wish you well and hope your second pg (when it happens) is much easier for you.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Hmmm....my pregnancies were all different, but my gestational diabetes stuck with me through all three...

~Nausea: I had severe nausea the first 4 months with my first pregnancy...none at all with my second, and once again, but through the first 6-7 months with my third.

~Weight gain: I gained various amounts with each-from 40 to 60. I stayed much fitter this last time, because I still exercised, all the way up until I went into labor. Any exercise is good-even if you only walk around the block each day-any movement is good.

~Bleeding: This depends on what you mean. I had instances of spotting with my first, and my third...both in the 1-2 months time frame. I had postpartum hemmhorrage with my first baby and ahd to have a D&C, but this was because I had a doctor who made me have a baby that was simply too large for me to have...and that was ONE of the resulting complications. It didn't happen with #2 and #3 because #2 was induced early because he was large, and #3 CAME early on his own...and he was also large. (The last two were both over 9lbs, about a month early...they would have been around 11# full term.)

~Cravings: All different with each.

~Energy: All different with each-although I have to say, I was more energetic when I ate better and exercised. Sitting on the couch eating junk food makes you more tired.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My first pregnancy, I was 25. I had horrible nausea the whole time. I gained 20 lbs. Had a terrible labor, delivered vaginally after 26 hrs. of my water being broke and pitocin hanging. He was face up and I had such terrible back labor.

My second pregnancy, I was 32. Only rarely had any nausea. Felt great through out whole pregnancy. Delivered her in about 12 hrs. and it didn't seem rough at all. Gained 19 lbs. during this pregnancy. I did have some spotting for the first couple months this time.

So, my pregnancies were completely different each time. I did have a lot of braxton hicks contractions with both.

I'm excited for you wanting to have another baby. Maybe it will be so much easier for you the 2nd time.

Last edited by lilybelle; 12-21-2006 at 12:35 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone for your answers. I know the second time around it will be what it will be, but it is good to know a lot of people had better experiences with different pregnancies.

My bleeding was pretty scary, and everyone (including my OB) thought I was having a miscarriage at the end of my first trimester, except that I didn't. That got me my first couple weeks of bedrest, and it stopped after a couple days. No one ever figured out why.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I had no complications with either pregnancy, but there were major differences still. With both, I had to be induced because they just didn't wanna come out. But with my daughter, I was constantly sick, I had lots of swelling towards the end...had to prop my feet up they'd get so swollen. And I had a problem gaining enough weight. With my son (the second), I had trouble NOT gaining weight. LOL I also had NO sickness at all. Never realized I was pregnant for a long time. And I didn't swell up that time.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:16 AM   #9  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

I'd have to say my issues were the same each time, with the massive weight gain, blood pressure issues heading toward pre-ecclampsia. But, now with my 3rd (4th pregnancy, 3rd baby), I'm still having the same issues but I did something different that seems to have helped. I cut my working hours way back for the pregnancy.

I was having scary heart rhythms last time, and so far so good this time.

Hopefully you can take it easy and have a better round two.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:29 AM   #10  

Cool mom! Howdy neighbor! I live upstairs..lol, Washington!
What a nice website you have!
Love the smiles on your two little boys! They are sweet!
Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl this time?
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #11  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschenbrodel View Post
Cool mom! Howdy neighbor! I live upstairs..lol, Washington!
What a nice website you have!
Love the smiles on your two little boys! They are sweet!
Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl this time?
Thanks, neighbor! Yup, I'm having another boy. I guess there will be no girls for us. waaaah.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My pregnancies were RADICALLY different
1st one: 20 weeks violent morning sickness followed immediately by continuous heartburn, injured early on so quit working out except yoga by 5 months, gestational diabetes, preterm birth by emergency c-section (gained 39 lbs, only lost 8 with the delivery/post partum period) Horrid recovery - took months til I felt ready to exercise without pain.

2nd one : very mild m/s only tossed it 3-4 times. mild heartburn, no gestational diabetes , ran/walked 20 mpw through 32-34 weeks, gained 46 lbs, lost 8 with delivery, but lost an additional 14 or so pretty quickly. Oh yeah, and 100% natural childbirth the second time. Was walking in 3 days, running in 2.5 weeks.

Only thing that was identical was I was exactly 194 lbs the day I went into labor.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 80/74/55 (kg)

Height: 165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post

So for those of you who have gone through this experience more than once, how similar where your pregnancies to each other? Were differences subtle or major? Did any complications repeat?
Hi Anne,

I'm a newbie here, hope you don't mind my input

My first pregnancy was very easy. Barely any morning sickness, and didn't put on a huge amount of weight. No complications whatsoever, and gave birth to DD1 (now 4yo) with no drugs and no interventions. Breastfed till 13 months no problems (but also gave FF for convenience's sake from the word go as well). Lost the weight I had gained only AFTER I stopped nursing, but lost it very easily through exercise, not a change in diet, which was pretty healthy at the time.

My second pregnancy was different. I had terrible morning sickness which was only "cured" by incessant eating (weird huh). DD2 (3 weeks old) was breech, so had a cesarean which has left me with ouchy wind pains and constipation. During the pregnancy I put on 20kg (about 5kg more than what I did with DD1) and because of the ceasar I have to wait to get right back into serious exercise. I couldn't exercise during pregnancy due to a case of SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction) and I suffered from hemorrhoids and very swollen feet. Have found establishing breastfeeding harder (but not impossible) but have started the formula feeds already and doubt I'll make it to 13 months of nursing this time - I have a feeling 6 months is more realistic this time around.

Similarities - BP no problem (though was lower first time around). Heartburn/reflux definitely made life a misery both times.
rayyth is offline   Reply With Quote