Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Fall Book Chat

A new thread for discussing books- one of our favorite subjects

I am currently reading a book my dad bought for me called "Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting" by Lynn Grabhorn. It is an interesting read about conscious thinking and positivity.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #2  

Cool

I bought the book about a year ago on an impulse but couldn't finish it. I'm averse to putting on a happy face all the time. I rather enjoy my ennui. I do know someone who has actually read the book several times and swears by it. She is a constantly upbeat person. This book fits in with her philosphy of life so it works for her.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #3  
Searching

I am reading "The Wolves of Calla" then I will start on "Susannah's Song" and finally at the end of September it wil be "The Dark Tower".

I have really enjoyed "The Wolves of Calla" so far, writing about addiction Stephen King is so right on. It's like he is speaking to me and where I am in my program of recovery.

Chris
Old 09-02-2004, 02:04 AM   #4  
Free the athlete within!

S/C/G: 327/305/180

Height: 5'7"

I am currently in awe of an author named Rosemary Dew, one of the first female FBI special agents. Her book is called "No Backup," and it is an easy read and an amazing one. I'm shocked to see--clear into the 1970s--how much (pardon me) CRAP and sexist, rude behavior she was exposed to on the job. And how, often, it was blithely overlooked. It's not a rock' em sock 'em James Bond tale. It's a combo of FBI life, her home life (single mom who, despite her "strong" career achievements, went through two abusive marriages). Quite a person. Quite a woman. Check it out!

Just finished "Seriously Funny," a mini-biographical look at many of the comic performers of the 50s and 60s: from Lenny Bruce and Steve Allen to Phyllis Diller, Sid Caesar, Mort Sahl, etc.

Has anyone read my next book--about a larger woman? Probably, as it came out in 2001. (Don't spoil anything! I haven't started it yet!) "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner. Here's the jacket blurb: "Cannie Shapiro never wanted to be famous. The smart, sharp, plus-sized pop culture reporter was perfectly content writing about other people's lives. Until she opens up a national women's magazine to find out that her ex boyfriend has been chronicling their ex-sex life. He writes: "Loving a larger woman is an act of courage in our world." And Cannie--who never knew that Bruce saw her as a 'larger woman' or thought that loving her was an act of courage--is plunged into misery and into the most amazing year of her life."

Whew! I'll keep you posted on that one!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:31 AM   #5  
Searching

"Good in Bed" was pretty good, a little formulaic there aren't any great suprises in character development, but their likeable and you find yourself rooting for the heroine in the end. Who of course ends up a healthy size 10

Chris
Old 09-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Sounds like an interesting read - I will have to check it out.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #7  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I liked it alot.

The second book by Jennifer Weiner - "In Her Shoes" was pretty good too.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:53 AM   #8  
Free the athlete within!

S/C/G: 327/305/180

Height: 5'7"

OK, I finished "Good in Bed," and yes, it was a hoot.

I've now begun Carrie Fisher's newest: "The Best Awful" The character of Suzanne Vale (from "Postcards from the Edge") is back, a single mom whose partner left her for a man. (This actually is a book about Fisher's life these days. She had a daughter, Billie, with Hollywood super agent Bryan Lourd, who left her for a man.) We'll see how it goes.

While at the library I also picked up what looks like a good book of potato recipes, so if I find anything that sounds yummy (and not too decadent) I'll let ya'll know and then post to Fab Foods.

Megan
Old 09-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

I finally finished that stupid two book series my hubby made me read. I have since read "Our Lady of the Forrest" by David Gutterson (the one who did Snow falling on Cedars) It was good and interesting, though a bit on the predictible side at the end.
"When the Wind Blows" by James Patterson (the one that did kiss the girls) which was interesting and scary only because it could potentially happen, but had a kind of crappy ending i think. But some people enjoy that happily ever after ending. and i am currently reading "Outlet" which is by Randy Taguchi. It is very intersting, it is Japanese and has been translated so there are a few poorly translated phrases but the story is very interesting, though somewhat graphic.
I have had a good start to my fall reading so far.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

I'm re:reading (because I need a laugh right now) "Me Talk Pretty One Day", by David Sedaris. God, he is such a hoot.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:12 AM   #11  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

LOVE Sedaris!! Have you ever read "Santaland Diaries"? VERY FUNNY!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:20 AM   #12  
singletrack chick

school started back for me so my recreational reading has been thrown out the door. right now im reading urban life-a reader, and "clash of cultures"/charles fagan and "from culture to ethnicity to conflict"/jack david eller.

they are all interesting but urban life has been a review of a few classes i have taken already so its kind of boring.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I just finished "Absolute Friends" by John LeCarré and am about to start "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. I read Alice's memoir, "Lucky", and was enthralled. I hope "Bones" is as interesting.
"Absolute Friends" was a spy novel that was a good read and had an astonishing twist to the ending.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #14  

Smile Hi all

I read "The Lovely Bones" and liked it very much. I could relate to it because of a loss in my life. I don't know if a personal experience is necessary to liking a book, but sometimes it helps.

I'm reading a book that I think is fascinating now. It is called, "Passing for Thin," by Frances Kuffel. It is actually autobiographical but reads like a novel. She talks about her obsession with food and can I ever relate!

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:20 PM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho is interesting. It's short and seems to be written out in the form of a learning tale. I like it a lot, though it is taking me longer than it should to read for some reason. It's a little bit preachy but if you are interested in spirituality at all, if is definately interesting.
Closed Thread