Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #1  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Biggest Motivators

Hello Ladies!

I was active on this site several years ago, and after lurking the past few weeks I've decided to speak up.

I got into my weight loss journey right after Thanksgiving and have been struggling with the same 7-8 pounds since then. When I hopped on the scale this morning, to my horror, its back up to where I started! Even though I want this more than anything... I feel that my motivation and self discipline are nowhere to be seen.

So what do you all do for motivation? Do you have daily reminders? Any help appreciated!
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I hang out here as much as I can! Everyone here is a motivator in some way I track calories with an app, and I have been using that as my main motivator, watching the little line on the chart slowly sneak down. I like visual things! I even made a spreadsheet compete with graphs to show my weight and BMI. I get to customize it to make it as funky as I want (or can do) I have a few weight loss blogs that I subscribe to, as well as a few other places that post all sorts of motivational pictures, or recipes. Pinterest is a fun way to keep track of the things that actually do motivate you!!!

You will find what works for you

Good luck on your Journey!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #3  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

I also post as much as I can! Or even if I don't post, I read and follow threads. I write a blog. I hunt down healthy foods I genuinely love. Experiment with cooking. Read about hormones. Do a bit of strength training every day. Get out for a walk as often as I can and enjoy the fact that it FEELS GOOD. I concentrate on the next 1lb. I think of all the things I want to wear when I'm smaller. All the things I'll be able to do. I take progress photos every half stone. I look for as many NSVs as I can. I reward myself for progress as often as I need to. I also have a lovely graph!! I love my graph I am obsessed with finding as many things as I can in life that make me feel awesome which are not FOOD. Ok, food's cool, but I'm trying to adopt a "take it or leave it" attitude.

And when it all comes crashing down around my ears I beg for help on here, lol

Oh, and when I'm focussing on my problems, I do strength training. If it hurts so much my problems cease to exist, I've done my job
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #4  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I find coming on here and posting pretty regularly, or just reading, is a huge motivator, along with tracking my calories and exercise on MyFitnessPal, keeping the main goals in mind consistently, including feeling great in what I want to wear, my health, being able to have healthy pregnancies in the future, and keeping my husband and I healthy by cooking us delicious and healthy food along with exercising and being able to keep up with him physically when we work out!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #5  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Back
1 of the things that propels me forward is to have a defined plan.and be Laser focused Not Obsessed there is a difference.
I take time to give myself evaluations on progress or lack of progress and make necessary changes.
I refuse to give myself negative messages they only instill learned helplessness!
I refuse to accept or make excuses for myself.
I take ownership of my actions and behaviors.
No one can make us think or feel anything we do not buy into willingly!
Don't let past insecurities ruin your progress
I also have been doing special pampering as a way of recognizing my progress that is random not based on I lost X amount of weight.
I live in present ...I have learned this from my Dogs which I adore and have been a tremendous help to live a balanced life.
My family has been a great help by just carrying on normally and not being the diet Police.
Increasing my flexibility has motived me because I deal with Chronic pain on a daily basis and I avoid medication that will not alleviate it ...so I may never be pain free but I will count my blessings that I'm not as stiff as I once was.
Knowing that I had the courage to admit that I needed help and accepting it motivates me to on a daily basis to work towards being as healthy as I. Possibly can be.
Find whatever trips the switch in your brain,for each of us that can be different things :kick butt:
Good Luck,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/182/155

Height: 5'6

Try to keep a positive attitude and dedicate yourself to one hour of cardio a day. That helps me stay on track.
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/182/155

Height: 5'6

Also, talk to a friend or family member about supporting you through your weight loss. It's been a big help to me to go on long walks with friends for example (get your heart rate up and socialize at the same time!)
pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #8  
AmandaLynn

S/C/G: 164 / SIG / 122

Height: 5'3"

Find an exercise you LOVE -- for me, that was hard -- but I recently invested in a pole and have been pole dancing as exercise. Not only is it fun, but it's like cardio and strength training all in one! Poles are expensive, but it's a great way to feel sexy and build strength -- Try looking for a local pole studio in your city and go with a friend 2x a week or something. It doesn't even SEEM like exercise, because you're having fun, and because it's FUN, you are more determined to keep at it. Making it FUN is what works for me.

When I reach my goals, I reward myself with something non-food related as well (I used to reward myself with food -- YOU ARE NOT A DOG! DO NOT DO THIS! lol). Read, read, read and if you need help, ask here!! Good luck, you CAN do this! I am excited every morning to wake up and get on the scale cuz I'm anticipating a loss and even if it's not there, just remember at least it's not a gain and tomorrow is another opportunity to see a loss!

First thing I do in the morning is load up MFP and start entering what I'm going to eat for my breakfast and enter my daily weight. Then I come here & 'weigh in' on my daily weigh-in thread. It starts my day off with being healthy at the forefront of my mind and I find that that helps me keep focused. When I lose focus is when I pick up a book, go pole dance, go for a walk, or do ANYTHING to get me away from a refrigerator, lol!

Good luck!! You CAN do this!
ghostly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/197/140

Height: 5'3''

Reading websites like this are great motivation. Also, going on to pinterest and typing in "weight loss motivation" or "weight loss before and after" really gets me motivated. I mean, so many people have done it, so I can definitely do it too!

Anybody have any cute or fun ways of tracking weight loss?
Jesserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Hello~ I have been lurking here after being absent a long time.. My biggest motivator for me is "ME" I have declared 2013 my "ME" Year.. From a lifetime of being obese & trying every diet.. I came to the conclusion the dieting alone does not work.. Food wise, Jan. 3rd I quit eating all sugar & white flour & dairy.... Basically staying away as much as I can from processed foods, eating foods in their natural state..

I am doing an online cardio weightlifting routine every other day, I started 9th Jan...
Coming to the conclusion that WHEN I get to my goal weight, I want to see an awesome body under all this padding, when I shed the weight. Working on the awesome body I plan on having is a HUGE motivator for me.

Something is working... I have lost 20 lbs, 7.5 inches AND muscles!!

I have found all sorts of fitness motivators on Facebook.. & "Like" & "follow" all sorts of fitness pages. They keep me focused on my fitness goals..

I come back here to 3fc when I need motivation.. I read up.. & visit the goal pix section.. great visual motivation with those pix!~ (Nice to rediscover the Alternachicks section as well! )

An artist friend is designing my sleeve "Goal!" Tattoo.. I will pin it up everywhere to help keep me focused..
indigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I agree that checking up on this website, and tracking my weight has been a motivator for me.

My family has a number of health issues that I have inherited and that alone is a big motivator for me to be as healthy as possible (not to mention I'm on a dr. recommended diet, and am on drugs where weight gain is a side effect...ugh).

Having friends to talk about diet/exercise with has helped me immensely. One of my friends told me that my goals shouldn't be X amount of lbs down (though it's still okay to track that) but more like X amount of exercise per week, and X amount of days where I follow my diet to a T, and any weight loss, even the smallest loss, should be treated as a bonus victory.

This mindset has been my saving grace. I went from plateau to losing weight again, based on this mindset, and I feel like it keeps me from punishing myself and then getting depressed and binging, or getting to obsessive/extreme with cutting cals, etc.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/293/180

Default Be more like my dog!

LOVE what Roo2 said about learning to live in the present from your dog. I couldn't agree more.

I, too, have hopped on the scale to find I'm back when I began. Instead of believing that it will be magically different this time, I've decided that my job is to show up and do the work each day. It's not going to be magically different. There will still be days I'd rather sleep in or not track what I'm eating. But as long as I show up, I'm doing my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Welcome Back
I live in present ...I have learned this from my Dogs which I adore and have been a tremendous help to live a balanced life.
julia820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/146

Height: 5'7''

I have three things that help me stay on track:
1) My twin sister is dieting with me. We keep each other accountable
2) Posting here, of COURSE
3) I'm a big (read: galazy-sized) comics fan, so I tape a bunch of pictures of frowning superheroes on the fridge/cupboards/doors to my apartment. (My icon is actually the picture I use for the fridge haha)

For one thing it makes me smile (I think I'm hilarious, whether or not I actually am... well that's neither here nor there) and for another it makes it impossible to slip up and forget. If I'm going to cheat, it has to be with Captain America staring disapprovingly at me from the cupboard.
Melonlefey is offline   Reply With Quote