Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 06:37 PM   #16  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

Ooh! I love make-up and clothes too! I am such a fashion freak, but I always respect my friends who aren't (and that's most of them). I just like looking pretty, and stuff. I do definately have my own fashion sense though. I wear what I like whether it's instyle or not, as long as I think I look good I wear it. I have this goal that I'm going to buy a pair of crushed velvet bell bottoms when I reach goal and I'm gonna wear them with a funky beatknik turtleneck sweater, or a gypsy blouse. I can't wait!
Old 12-01-2002, 08:30 PM   #17  

Default This might sound silly but ...

when I think I look good, it affects my confidence level and my general outlook on life. Here's my laundry list of beauty/fashion "quirks":

For example, I have a job where my boss will let me *occasionally* telecommute. I can write sales proposals just as well here at home than in my cubicle, in other words. On days when I do telecommute, I actually still get dressed and put on makeup. I just feel more "businesslike" when I'm not sitting around in my flannels and Dearfoams (as I am now, LOL). The only concession I will make is will wear jeans when telecommuting, and not just on Fridays as per office dress code.

I keep my legs and armpits smooth all year long. I can't stand hairy legs/armpits and don't know what I'd do if I was trapped on an island without my lady Atra. LOL. I would shave at least every other day even if I didn't have a guy.

I'm not big on my fingernails, I keep them fairly short and well-groomed with only the occasional polish. I have never had "fake" nails as I use a computer all the time and I don't like the way they look anyway. My toes, though, are ALWAYS painted, even in the Winter!

I really don't think about hair length too much, it's been long, short, curly, straight, blonde, brunette, red, black. My hair is currently growing out from a SUPER short cut (think Halle Berry) that I got in July. Although the short cut was cute, I think it made my face look FAT so I'm gonna go back to the classic bob again ...
I think as long as your hair is tasteful and well-kept, it shouldn't matter what length it is.

As far as fashion, I stay pretty current with it but know when to
stop so that I don't look ridiculous. For example, I have a pair of
low cut cords but I wear a regular shirt with them - not a cropped shirt. I am more concerned about finding pants that don't make my butt look big rather than a particular brand name. There are certain shirts I have in my closet that I won't wear now because they accentuate my chubby arms.

I am super anal about VPL (Visible Panty Line) so I ALWAYS wear a thong under anything remotely clingly. I'm almost phobic about it.

Makeup. I usually just wear powder, mascara, and lipstick - maybe a bit of neutral eyeliner. When I go out on the weekends I will vamp up with some kohl eyeliner and a stronger lipcolor but that's about as crazy as I'll get.

My only piercings are in my ears, and I intend to keep it that way.
I do not have any tattoos, and I never will. I don't have a problem with other people having them, tho'.

I am obsessed with Origins "Ginger Essence" scent at the moment. A couple of years ago, it was Victoria's Secret Pear.

I spend an average of 10-15 minutes on my hair and makeup in the morning, I have it down to a science.

Anyone else want to share?

S.

P.S.: If this is way too off topic, please feel free to move to a different thread! LOL!

Last edited by sabrina; 12-01-2002 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:42 PM   #18  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HI SABRINA!!!! WELCOME!!!! I'm an atheist too. Lots of people with lots of different beliefs in alternachicks, but all open minded!!! I always like the funky thrift store look, but these days it just makes me look sloppy fat...(sob)
I make jewelry and tend to 2 teens and my baby (cat named Meggie), so I am a SLOB. Anything else is just asking for destroyed clothes!!!! Callie is ADORABLE by the way!!!

BEWARE OF ELLIS!!! She is the most demented of us all!!!
Old 12-01-2002, 11:24 PM   #19  

Hey Dentrassi,

Thanks for the welcome! It's great that people of all different religions (or in our case, lack thereof), sexual preferences, geographies, etc., can form such a tight-knit and supportive group. Way cool.

>>>Callie is ADORABLE by the way!!!

Why, thank you. Miss Callie thinks that she is adorable too.
She's an Ocicat, and a real handful! She keeps our two older
(and MUCH BIGGER) male cats in line.

>>>BEWARE OF ELLIS!!! She is the most demented of us all!!!

Okay, I'll keep my eye on Ellis, LOL.

S.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:57 PM   #20  

Height: 5'-2"

Thank you... thank you very much, Den. That Sabrina... she's just too damned perfect for us! Made-up and shaved, perfectly coifed and perfumed, ... and a THONG, for gawd's sakes!! What next, I ask you?! (you look lovely, Sabrina )

I usually wear my long wavy hair in a big messy bun atop my head. If I wear it down, I'll still have a bun, but a smaller "French bun" with the rest of the hair hanging down my back. It's always clean, but I never brush it... just run my fingers through it. My DH calls me his "all-natural autumn girl".

People who suffer from depression have a difficult time with hygiene, right Den? Not that we're dirty , but we tend to focus on other things. Like just staying alive. Sometimes it's enough, I assure you.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:15 AM   #21  
the kid's counting on me!

Ellis, I love you! Your so....Ellis-y. I don't wear make-up...sometimes I put on lipstick. I wear make-up once a year if that...like for my niece's Bat Mitzvah.
I love clothes...or I should say that I always loved to experiment with different looks but since I got really fat its just a matter of trying to look halfway decent and not totally blimp-like! Finding clothing is harder when you are close to blimpness.

I look forward to being excited about clothes again...and feeling good in them. Since I've lost about 18 pounds now from my high point I already feel better in my clothes and that is very nice. And while we're on the subject

I don't want to gain weight over the holidays either.
This weekend was rough. We had Thanksgiving at my in-laws and then we had our annual family Chanukah party here. The good news is I sent all of the desserts home with people before they left the party. There were so many desserts left over. I left only one piece of my Aunt's home made apple walnut pie here in the house. I wanted to taste it. I ate half of the piece and left the rest for my DP.

I do think that I gained a pound or so in the past four days. I weigh in later and let you know.

So, my holiday goal is to, continue to lose weight even over the holidays and to get back to my gym schedule starting this week!

Hold me to it chickies.
I need you now!
Love, Soozie
Old 12-02-2002, 01:17 AM   #22  

Wow...I'm so self absorbed!
Forgot to say Welcome Sabrina!

nice to meet you,
Soozie
Old 12-02-2002, 02:08 PM   #23  

I love you too, Soozie.

demented ellis
Old 12-02-2002, 02:13 PM   #24  

Cough, cough, cough ... will I ever get over this @#$%&@* cold???

>>>That Sabrina... she's just too damned perfect for us! Made-up and shaved, perfectly coifed and perfumed, ... and a THONG, for gawd's sakes!! What next, I ask you?! (you look lovely, Sabrina )

Believe me, I'm far from perfect! I just have always been really into clothes and makeup. I think it's all heriditary, LOL.

>>>Wow...I'm so self absorbed!
Forgot to say Welcome Sabrina!

Thanks Soozie!

Today is my first day back in the office since Tuesday. I telecommuted on Wed, Turkey Day was Thurs, and was sick
Friday - Sunday. Now I'm sitting here at my desk trying to crank out a last minute piece for one of the sales people, and my clogged head is having a horrible time focusing!

I think I will take some more medicine -- it may make me a little
wiggy but at least it will help with the coughing.

Being sick SUCKS!

S.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:07 PM   #25  

Arrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!
I weighed 180 today....but, I went to the gym and exercised for one hour. First day back to the gym since our vacation...felt good. I'm up three, count em, three pounds. Ugh. Of course last Monday when I weighed in I was only 179 but I know that Tue, Wed, and Thursday I weighed 177! Only to be done in by Thanksgiving and Chanukah...well, hmmmpfff. Those holidays will not rule me. I tell you. I'm going to lose weight gosh dang it.
Love, Soozie
Old 12-02-2002, 03:21 PM   #26  
a brave new me...

Talking Confession...

HI Sabrina... glad you found us.

Yes, I am a bit of a girly-girl who isn't afraid to wear platform boots and or leopord print or bell bottom jeans. I always wear basic make up (lipstick, eyeliner, powder) outside my home, always put on an "outfit" if I leave the house. I spend massive amounts of money on clothes and go shopping at least once or twice a month... sometimes more. Clothes last in my wardrobe for maybe 6 months, upon which the styles change and I get sick of them and give them away (except for a few basics that I love). I enjoy staying a little ahead of the fashion trends but always with a little alternative twist (hey, its the midwest so this isn't difficult). I wouldn't be caught dead in a sweat pants and tshirt outside of my home... except maybe exercising or gardening or camping. I shave my entire legs and armpits almost every single day. Thanks to my best friend who is a fabulous hair stylist, my hair is cut and dyed different colors and styles every month. I own at least 35 pairs of black footwear, most with obnoxious chunky heels or platforms. I almost always wear a thong because I hate panty lines... plus I have about 30 bras and lots of lingerie. My nails are always manicured and painted. If I am in public I look pretty damn good and am usually one of the best dressed in the room. Of course most people in this area wear jeans and a Packers sweatshirt so this may not be saying much.

Ok... I tend to obsess about my looks. I think it is my way of trying to make up for the fact that I am overweight. It takes me about 45-60 minutes to shower, do hair/make up, and get dressed... so I'm not one of those women who spends hours getting ready. But I enjoy clothes and fashion and have a lot of fun with it.

Hmmm... I DO have a pair of Birkenstocks sitting in my closet that I have worn twice.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:34 PM   #27  

Hey Sojourner,

Yeah! Someone to talk fashion with! Poor Ellis will be bored silly ...

What are your favorite stores? I really love The Limited, Charlotte Russe, and of course -- The Gap and Old Navy for basics. I've also been known to shop at Casual Corner/Petite Sophisticate for
office wear. I love Ann Taylor too, but will ONLY buy on sale, and even then it's usually just one or two pieces. Why must they be so expensive, anyway?!?!?!?

I also love checking out T.J. Maxx and a used clothing place,
Buffalo Exchange for killer deals.

Typically, I probably buy some kind of clothing about once every month, but I am now on "hiatus" from shopping until my existing clothes are hanging on me! I don't want to buy any more "fat clothes".

I hear you about the shoes. I probably have 25 pairs of shoes of which twenty are black! My dear fiance' doesn't understand why I need all these black shoes, but then again, he does not have the capacity to discern the vast differences between a mule and a slingback, or a pump and a loafer!

Hee hee hee ...

S, who also lives in a "fashion challenged" part of the country - the Pacific NW. Polar fleece and birkenstocks everywhere ... yikes!

P.S.: I just checked out your photo Sojourner - you are a knockout! But what is that white stuff all over the ground???

Last edited by sabrina; 12-02-2002 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:49 PM   #28  

Oh geez... another girly girl...
Your shoe collection sounds like mine, Sojo. Black with chunky heels. Plus my collection of Doc Martin shoes and boots.

And what; may I ask, is wrong with Birkenstocks, Miss Prissy Sabrina?! Be careful... I may curse you with triplets, and then your feet will be sooooo sore....

Sojo and Sabrina... go ahead and talk sissy/prissy. I will not interfere.

Soozie... what the ****... get those pounds back off!! listen... I've got my Birks on with no socks... how about you? And my hair is in a big messy bun. And... OH MY GOD... I forgot to do my nails! shhhhh....
Old 12-02-2002, 03:59 PM   #29  

Ellis, shhhhh....I wear my birks for as long as possible...I usually have two pairs that are in halfway decent shape and one pair that looks like it can walk by itself...and I wear them WITH socks too...how ugly is that...I love them soooo much it is really hard to stuff my fat feet into anything else...how do you do it up there in cold Canada? I only have to retire them for about four months of the year...yeah, I get looks sometimes..but, I just wear warmer socks with them...

a heeled shoe never touches these feet anymore...did too much damage in my youth...birks, sneakers, and clogs are all I own right now...shhhhhh....

all this playing on the computer...now I am going to be late for work!
Love your girly girl, disco dyke, lipstick lesbian friend,
Soozie
Old 12-02-2002, 04:08 PM   #30  

>>>And what; may I ask, is wrong with Birkenstocks, Miss Prissy Sabrina?!

Well, there's nothing WRONG with Birks, but I'm not into them at all.

That makes me somewhat of an oddball here in Portland.

>>>Be careful... I may curse you with triplets, and then your feet will be sooooo sore....

Oh my gawd, I'd be calling Dr. Kevorkian (sp?) if THAT ever happend! Three kitty-cats are plenty for me!

S.
Closed Thread