Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 12:02 AM   #16  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

What is Marmite? I'm hopelessly American.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:08 AM   #17  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YUP!! It's a Marmite jar!!! When we (DH helped) shrank it to get it small enough it got a bit blurry. I like Marmite. A LOT!! (So do my kids.) It is a habit I picked up from my British mother. MOSTLY though, I started using it as my avatar to annoy certain unnamed alternachicks WHO ARE DENYING THEIR BRITISH HERITAGE AND SHOULD BE VERY ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!!!!! But seriously, Ellis, Mauvais and Ruth could tell you themselves about their heretical leanings.

Cyber-It is a yeast extract (left over from the brewing process....which may be why I like it so much!) that is salty and rich tasting. You can spread it on toast or on buttered bread (with lettuce...YUM!!) Or use it in soups or stews to enrich the flavor. High in B vitamins and 100% vegetarian too!!! (Although it really adds something to beef stews!!)
Old 12-08-2002, 09:19 AM   #18  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh for cryin' out loud. Not that ruddy Marmite conversation again.

Yeah... try it, Velvet. You'll love it. If you love eating roofing tar.
something seriously wrong with that Dentrassi...
Old 12-08-2002, 11:53 AM   #19  

DH is British you see, I am American. I never knew about Marmite before I met him! It is not something I am fond of but he is allowed to keep some around. He doesn't like the look of my Boca burgers & thinks Sugar Twin is barbaric. A rich and fulfilling cross-cultural exchange (mutual tolerance)!

And that IS probably 'nuff said about Marmite for now!

Why oh why can't we get Skinny Cows in Canada? (Next random thought, don't know why!)

Lidian
Old 12-08-2002, 06:09 PM   #20  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HMPH!!! NEVER too much Marmite.....
Old 12-08-2002, 07:12 PM   #21  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

More like road tar, I'd say!
Old 12-08-2002, 09:19 PM   #22  

Marmite??? Is that anything like Vegemite/Vegemide???

Sabrina, also hopelessly American, and addicted to Skinny Cows
Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 AM   #23  

Oh Sabrina, you lucky chick - I have never had a Skinny Cow. But I have read about them and I can dream, can't I?

I think Vegemite is very similar to you-know-what, but with the obvious vegetable component. We can get it in Canada (though truly I would think importing Skinny Cows would be more lucrative!!) but I do not keep any around here!

The only diet frozen thingie we have here are diet Fudgsicles and orange Creamsicles which are OK as far as it goes but are not exciting. And I need something both virtuous and exciting when I am rooting around in the freezer at night (I think there might be a joke in here somewhere that I could make but I need more coffee first..) I will try and think of something after I have more caffeine.

Lidian
Old 12-09-2002, 05:08 PM   #24  

Default moo?

Has anybody else seen/tried the mint Skinny Cows?

I saw them once at a grocery store while I was travelling, but I didn't have any way to keep them from melting before I got home (apart from the obvious stuffing-them-all-into-my-face option) so I had to let them go, and I haven't seen them since. I'm starting to wonder if I dreamt the whole thing.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:27 PM   #25  

But what a dream, Tami! Chocolate and mint and Skinny Cows all together...I am going to look when I am next in the US. But I can't take em home either, it's too far!

Someday they will come to Canada & then I'm buying a big freezer and filling it up!

Lidian
Old 12-12-2002, 08:24 AM   #26  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Last night, I devoured have a deliciososo(however you spell it) pizza!
But man was it good. And I felt rotton after I ate it too.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:08 PM   #27  

I'm having a really rough day. It started out good... I made 2 1/2 pounds of fudge last night and didn't sample any of it until this morning when I had one small (1/2" x 1/2") piece, just to make sure it wasn't horribly bad before I gave it out today as gifts.

But it seems like the holiday baking has now officially begun, so there's cake and cookies and chips and dip and all manner of fattenation all over the office. And it's calling to me. And I'm answering it!!

Drat. And I was down two pounds this morning.

Does anybody else have this problem at work? I work with a bunch of wonderful old Southern ladies who can cook like the dickens, and (I'm not joking) EVERY SINGLE RECIPE they make starts out with "You take two sticks of butter...."

Moo.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:34 PM   #28  

Tami, I had the same exact problem in October when DDs asked me to make fudge for their school Halloween parties. So I made vanilla fidge and chocolate fudge and hoped that the dear little children in their classes would eat it all. Of course we ended up with a ton of it and I kept having bits here and there. I didn't mean to but it was so good!

And I have tons of Christmas stuff here in the house and as I work at home...I am around it ALL the time! It is very hard.

Cashews, chocolates, icy squares...they're all calling my name, and they're all in the next room.

Lidian
Old 12-12-2002, 06:40 PM   #29  

You know, it's very oddly comforting to know that one is not alone in being stalked by attractive Christmas foods.
.. .. .. .....
Old 12-12-2002, 08:56 PM   #30  

Of course I did not mean vanilla FIDGE, but FUDGE. It is late in the day (i.e. after dinner), that's my excuse anyway!

Oh yeah, you are not alone! We're going a-visitin the relatives and stress alone, never mind the presence of the goodies, will be goading me on to new levels of the chocolate high...I will try and be strong though.

I'll be back Wednesday - I'm going to miss this group, no doubt about it!

Talk to you soon, Lidian
Closed Thread