Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Ellen, I agree with Liana...walk around your house as much as you can. Eventually it will get easier. When I had heart surgery, the doctor told me to walk in my house for 15 min, 3 times a day while recouperating. I went down the middle hallway and back up, around the circle through the living room, dining room and kitchen, then back up and down the hallway again. Boring, but effective. Since you are a retired RN, you know to make sure this is ok with your doctor, that you don't have any underlying medical problems you don't know about. I say I'm 5'4" but I'm really 5'3" and I started our around the same weight as you. Although it hasn't come down a lot, there's a big difference in how I feel. You really will be avoiding some serious health problems by doing whatever exercise you are able to do and losing some weight. They say that 10% of your weight will make a big difference.

Good luck to you. You can do this! You have your own coaching system right at home with you!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #137  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Happy Father's Day.
I have not had an alcoholic beverage. Thank you very much. I did not eat a brownie, nor a potato knish. I did not eat any bread. I want to enjoy some strawberries and grapes with iced black coffee without hearing,"oh sweet n low is poison,!" or" Strawberries are high in sugar"
How about you shut up and let me live my life free of your judgmental limitations.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #138  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone I hope you have had a wonderful Fathers Day! We had a lovely day...we just got home from a couple days away. We left Friday for Cheney, WA and spent the night at Fairchild AFB. Yesterday was our grandson's college graduation, we had a few minutes with him and drove back home last night. Didn't get home until a little after 10 pm. It went amazingly fast although we were glad to get home. I missed my bedside fan. I was afraid I'd gain weight with the restaurant food (we didn't take any food with us since it was just one night) and I did eat some stuff I really shouldn't have eaten due to my diabetes. When I came home my bs was high but my weight was down 1/2# So I lost 3.5 of the pounds I put on in recent week but I still have 3.5# to go to get back down to 160.

Then today our son and his gf came over with a gift for dh. Another saw tool for him to use to make things. They are trying to keep him busy! They took us to church and then we met up with our youngest dd (the local one) and went to Olive Garden. She had a race today and improved her personal record. She left after dinner, but the other two brought us home and stayed a little while. We so love having them nearby.

Wannabe - What you describe (walking in the house) is my frequent routine. I also walk in place while using the microwave, I balance at the foot of the bed. And when I take the time I do this ten min routine of walking in place for one min, then each minute I get a little more vigorous and do this over and over until the ten min are up. I do it in front of my kitchen range and use the timer so know when to switch each type of "walking." Some of it is side to side, kicks and squats.,..just whatever I can think of to make it more vigorous and then at the end I come back down to simple walking in place. This is in addition to my PT stretches I do for my back and shoulder each day. I have a set I routinely do before I get out of bed in the am and others I rotate and do at night. Each is ended with standing against the wall for a min. I figure everything helps. Oh also with the am routine, I also stretch really high and then do the airplane yoga pose. Makes me feel ready to start my day! I try to always be active even when I can't go to the gym...even if sitting I'm always wiggling my toes, moving my feet...too aware of stasis esp with diabetes to just let them hang.

Deelou - Congrats on the weight loss! That's a good number to lose! Keep it up girl you are winning the game!

Ellen - Welcome to our group! Another RN! There are a number of us here!

Liana - I do feel calcium may play a part with my cramps but I take over 2000 daily and also drink milk and almond milk. I am not drinking as much cows milk as I was due to my bs, however. I am not sure how well the calcium in almond milk is absorbed, but it's supposed to have more in it than cows milk even. I suspect it is supplemented though and I don't trust supplemented calcium to be as well absorbed but I'm not sure. The cramps come in cycles. I think it is almost over now. I do a lot of stretches, Liana, as I mentioned above some similar to what you mention, but if I'm not careful they make me go in a cramp if I'm in the cycle. It is not only regular cramps, like when your muscle tightens...they are in wierd places like the top of my foot (not just toes, but the top), and the side of my ankles...as well as the usual toes, arch, and calf. Also get them in my thighs and some really strange ones that are not like a regular cramp, but are like someone taking a knife and cutting up my thighs in a jagged motion...oh, that pain is the worst!! Thank God this is rare ...has only happened a few times but always is accompanied (and started with) regular cramps. I told my doctor but he says he doesn't know the cause and since when I'm there, it isn't happening, he hasn't any way to assess it. Sometimes I even get them in my abdomen! This is rare but it happens. Oh and I frequently get them in my hands/fingers. That doesn't hurt but is uncomfortable and I will drop whatever I am holding. My potassium has always been normal. I suspect it might be that I need even more calcium because sometimes when I'm having a cramp I take an extra calcium capsule and it sometimes helps but not all the time. The other thing I'm wondering about is dehydration. I drink quite a bit of water during the day but I wake up at night and am thirsty and just don't want to turn on a light and fill the glass...I have such a hard time sleeping and I don't want to get too awake I guess. But I think I'm going to try and drink more during the night. I do have a otc med that I take when they start, and I am SO thankful to have found it...been using it for several years now. Some nights I have to take it more than once.

Cajun - So happy for you and your son! It is good that you like her already.
When our kids are happy we are so happy too.

I had another prize in my mail box when we got home last night....a book. Maybe good I'm not sure it's my kind but I must have thought it sounded good when I signed up.

Last edited by maryea; 06-15-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #139  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Welcome Ellen, nice to see a new face.
Sorry I've been AWOL but it's my busy time. I helped SIL pack boxes for their downsizing move to condo. In 2 weeks they have to be out of the house, will spend more time helping them. Meanwhile I'm painting the back of our house. Bruce got 3 sides done last fall and left the two story side for now. We decided to hire a carpenter to put permanent siding on the dormer and North peak of the house. You'd have to climb over the roof with sand paper, paint and brushes to get to it and the roof is steep. We're too old for that, would end up killing ourselves. I don't mind climbing the ladder to paint the two story side, but not the dormer. I've completed 1/2 the painting and won't be able to finish until our rain stops. Next 5 days it's suppose to downpour.
We're off to the Y for more fun exercise.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Mornin' gals (or afternoon for some of you )

Maryea: Make sure you are taking calcium complex (from citrate fumarate, malate, succinate, as well as carbonate). If it is strictly carbonate it is much cheaper, but that is just like eating ground up shells/limestone and doesn't absorb like the others. If you can't get a complex try calcium citrate instead. Almond milk is supplemented by calcium carbonate only. My MD who is also into other natural health options told me about this. Maybe you are not absorbing it well?

Here's some interesting info:

Proteins also have a negative effect on calcium stores because amino acids contain sulfur, which in turn affects the body’s pH balance. Plant-based proteins tend to have lower concentrations of sulfur-based amino acids and are more alkaline in nature. Meat, on the other hand, is very acidic, and the body reacts to re-balance itself by leaching alkaline calcium out of the bones to neutralize the acid. For every 1 gram protein in your diet, you can expect 1 milligram calcium to be lost or eliminated in your urine.

Through his research, Dr. T. Colin Campbell of the famous China Project (see Chapter 3) has determined that even though most Chinese consume no dairy products in their daily diets, osteoporosis is uncommon in China even though they consume only half the amount of calcium as compared to Americans. Instead, they obtain all their dietary calcium from plant-based sources.

A small sampling of vegan foods that are high in calcium:
•1 cup hijiki — 648 milligrams
•1 cup tofu — 516 milligrams
•1 cup cooked collard greens — 358 milligrams
•1 1/2 cups calcium-fortified oatmeal — 326 milligrams
•1 cup calcium-fortified orange juice — 270 milligrams
•10 medium figs — 270 milligrams
•1 cup cooked spinach — 244 milligrams
•1 cup cooked white beans — 160 milligrams

Dietary supplements
The two main forms of calcium in supplements are carbonate and citrate. Calcium carbonate is more commonly available and is both inexpensive and convenient. Due to its dependence on stomach acid for absorption, calcium carbonate is absorbed most efficiently when taken with food, whereas calcium citrate is absorbed equally well when taken with or without food [4]. Calcium citrate is also useful for people with achlorhydria, inflammatory bowel disease, or absorption disorders [1]. Other calcium forms in supplements or fortified foods include gluconate, lactate, and phosphate. Calcium citrate malate is a well-absorbed form of calcium found in some fortified juices [5].

Calcium supplements contain varying amounts of elemental calcium. For example, calcium carbonate is 40% calcium by weight, whereas calcium citrate is 21% calcium. Fortunately, elemental calcium is listed in the Supplement Facts panel, so consumers do not need to calculate the amount of calcium supplied by various forms of calcium supplements.

The percentage of calcium absorbed depends on the total amount of elemental calcium consumed at one time; as the amount increases, the percentage absorption decreases. Absorption is highest in doses ≤500 mg [1]. So, for example, one who takes 1,000 mg/day of calcium from supplements might split the dose and take 500 mg at two separate times during the day.

Some individuals who take calcium supplements might experience gastrointestinal side effects including gas, bloating, constipation, or a combination of these symptoms. Calcium carbonate appears to cause more of these side effects than calcium citrate [1], so consideration of the form of calcium supplement is warranted if these side effects are reported. Other strategies to alleviate symptoms include spreading out the calcium dose throughout the day and/or taking the supplement with meals.

Drink plenty of water and avoid dehydration. Nighttime cramps can sometimes be a result of not drinking enough water. Make sure that you're drinking enough H2O during the course of the day in order to prevent cramps during the night. •How much water are you supposed to drink during the course of the day? According to the Mayo Clinic, females should aim to drink about 2.2 liters a day, while males should aim to drink about 3 liters of water a day.[7]
•How can you easily tell whether you've had enough water to drink? Look at the transparency of your urine. Clear urine signals adequate hydration, while yellowish urine signals less adequate hydration.

Maybe trying to keep a little pitcher of water & a glass or a water bottle by your bed might help. It would be worth a try. Re: the 'strange' places to get cramps - muscles run all over our bodies in all different directions and these muscles may be just as susceptible to cramping as the usual culprits. Try warming the area with a heating pad or hot water bottle before you stretch. Hope this gets figured out for you... keep on the doctor and if he doesn't know, get him to refer you to someone who might. Take a list of any meds you use, also ask your pharmacist about the cramps in relation to your meds as they know waaaay more than the docs about drug side effects & interactions.

Liana
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #141  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

my calcium levels are normal.
I am post menapausal and have a familial history of osteoporosis.
I have been a vegan for more than 7 years.
I eat a plethora of dark leafy greens.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #142  
Bobbi

Attention all prayer warriors, Donna's surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #143  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! I got almost nothing done here at home. Went to the gym this morning for usual routine except I only walked a little more than 1/2 mile and did 20 min on the bike at 10. The bike is much easier for me than the walk/jog laps on the track and it's been a while since I was there so decided to take it a little easier. Unfortunately we had to suspend our membership for a couple months starting July 1. I will not leave dh while he is recuperating as he will do things he shouldn't if he feels he needs too...he won't wait, so I want to protect him. We will also be doing some traveling after he has his doctor's approval.

Anyway about my day...after the gym, I came home to do the budgeting and then left to shop for my granddaugher's gift. She will be five on Thursday.
Since it isn't often I'm in the mall, I did a little browsing for myself but didn't buy anything. Then went to Target and also got her a small toy.

For dinner I heated up some chicken adobo that I had made and froze because we didn't have time to eat it before our trip. Dh had his with rice of course, but I just ate mine with salad.

Bobbi - yes I have already begun praying for Donna. I hope we hear good news soon post surgery.

Lucinda - That's great that your bones are good. Mine were also great at the previous check. I just had the bone scan again a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten the results so assuming they are still good or at least not really bad. I took Fosamax for a few years and even though I haven't taken it for a several years now I stays in the bones a very long time so could still be working.

Liana - Thanks for taking the time to share this info and I appreciate your caring. I already know quite a lot about this kind of thing due to my studies/training plus my continued interest so hate to see you going to so much effort for me, but of course it may also help someone else. I have read the China Project too. The differences in the different types of calcium and the effect on calcium by protein is interesting. I drink a lot of water throughout the day. As a retired nurse I am well aware of what the urine needs to look like, and mine is fine so judging by that I am not at all dehyrated. I do not check it at night so If I am experiencing any dehydration at all it has to be at night. I've tried keeping water at my bedside but in time I tend to forget it or spill it and, I've even used my water bottle I use at the gym. I am up to the bathroom at least once a night, usually more, so I am now just making the effort to drink while I'm up. I have a little flashlight! If that does help and since I have no obvious sign of dehydration, the cause is likely the the statin drug I take. I have had cramps for so long I can't remember whether they worsened after I started taking it but it would be a likely culprit. I go off it now and then (rarely) because of severe leg pain, but only when I just can't stand it anymore as when one does the cholesterol goes right back up. Before I conceded to take it (I hate taking meds!) I tried very hard to get my cholesterol down but it remained high so I finally had to take a low dose. It is also possible it is due to my diabetic med but I think I was already having them before I started that. And although some diabetics think it causes cramps it is not listed in any list I've seen of side affects/adverse reactions.

Gosh, it's getting late and I haven't even cleaned up the kitchen yet after dinner! Donna, hoping for the very best for you tomorrow!! Know you are loved and I am praying for you!!

Last edited by maryea; 06-17-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #144  

Hi everyone.. rainy here today. my 16 yr old grdd is staying a few days.. shes such a bright and funny teen,i love when she visits. she curled upwith me in my recliner and 3 dogs and showed me things on the puter that
was funny and entertaining. imagine this tall lanky girl all curled up and grmas loving it. steve has jury tomorrow so the grdd wants to play in my craft room,and maybe go to the pool. Prayers for Donna and will be thinking about her. Maryea I have cramps too,in legs thighs and my hands cramp up like claws. my dr took me off water pills and put me on potassium,calcium and magnesium. didn't help a bit.. I did some research on my own and discovered it was the Zocor for cholesterol. so I experimented and didn't take it for a week.. no cramps.also becuz of the bariatric surg the rny procedure I have whats called malabsorbtion so have to take sp vitamins etc to stay healthy. I have an apt to talk to her about the Zocor.. my cramps were very painful so I sending you sympathy..we all are knowledgeable about weight loss and exercise and how to eat right,we have to do what works for each of us and support our right to choose that. Hoping your week goes well with what ever plan you choose I will be your cheerleader (((hugs)) for all rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 06-17-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #145  
Bobbi

Prayers to you Donna and the surgeons hands.

Rosey...I couldn't have said it better. AMEN

Quote:
.we all are knowledgeable about weight loss and exercise and how to eat right,we have to do what works for each of us and support our right to choose that.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Rosey.....I found the address

It's in the mail

Last edited by Karen3; 06-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #147  
Bobbi

Anyone who knows Donna's address......please private message it to me. I have most of your addresses somewhere, can't put my finger on it.
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hugs for Donna, hoping things go/went well...

No worries Maryea, I find biology and chemistry very interesting anyway... I always learn lots more everytime I check into stuff like that. Sounds like the meds alright. Sometimes it seems the side effects can be worse than what we are trying to improve. Hope you can get it all worked out.

Good goin' Lucinda, sounds like you are staying a strong woman, in all facets, heheheh.
Liana
Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Bobbi....sent you the address pm
Old 06-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #150  
Bobbi

thanks KarenMo, K2 and Rosey. Got them. I sent a card off today, should have been on the ball and sent it yesterday.
Closed Thread