Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Motivated with fingers crossed

I was a yo-yo dieter from my teens to my 30's. My weight fluctuated from 120 to 145 bs. At about age 40, I finally gave up after medication contributed to my gaining 50 lbs in 6 months, and in subsequent years, I gained 20 lbs more. Four years ago with support from the good people here at 3FC, I lost 37 lbs. With 34 lbs still yet to reach my goal, for some reason I fell off the healthy eating and exercising wagon. It's funny how when you're not ready to jump back on, you don't want to face others who will continue to try to motivate you, and so I got away from 3FC. But I've always recognized that 3FC was a major factor in the progress that I did have 4 years ago. Two years ago, I wanted to feel motivated to start over, but wanting to feel it and feeling it were two different things. My son was getting married and I wanted to feel and look better for the event, but I just couldn't talk myself into making a change for the better. And oh how I regret it. Every time I look at the pictures, I think "if only." Now, my daughter is getting married next April. I've known her wedding date for two months now, but it wasn't until this week that I finally became motivated to jump back on the wagon. I'm finally feeling in the right state of mind. So here I am again at my favorite motivational site, 3FC. I just hope I can do it this time. I know I may not reach my goal of weighing 145 lbs by April, but I'd love to be in my ideal weight range, which at the top end is 163 lbs. Has anyone else been successful in the long run when an event (wedding, reunion, etc.) was their main motivation for losing weight? I don't just want to lose weight for the wedding. I'm obese and I know that's not healthy. I really would like to get back down to 145 lbs and a healthy BMI. I know that starting dieting again at 52 years old is going to be a challenge, even more than it was 4 years ago, but I really want to do this! I want to go all the way and I want to maintain it. I don't want to relapse again, I don't want to yo-yo diet, and I don't want to give up. I want to do this for the wedding, for my health, for the rest of my life. I am currently trying out something called The Slow Carb Diet, which consists basically of eating lean protein, legumes, and non-starchy veggies, and avoiding grains, dairy, and sweets, with the exception that each week there is a recommended cheat day when you can have the forbidden foods. Since I have a family history of insulin problems, I figure this diet may work well for me. So, that's where I'm at and any thoughts, comments, constructive criticism, and/or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-26-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #2  

Hm, looks like people are much more silent than they used to be around here, but hey, I've lost 1.5 more lbs, so woohoo, me! Keep going! I can do it! Lol!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #3  

Oh my, still no thoughts or words of encouragement from this *support* group in this *support* forum? Okay, well, I've lost another pound even after my 1st ever allowed cheat day, so woohoo!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #4  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jacqui,
It sounds like you have more than one great motivating factor. I like the fact that you are trying to become the healthiest you and that you have a deadline. With 8 months, even 1 pound a week(very reasonable and doable in your 50's) that' time to get down to your previous attempt! Your diet sounds good too, So what can I do to support YOU. I am 58, grew up in OHIO and am working at losing those last 10 pounds. My current doctor wanted me to lose weight by being on a weird protein diet with protein shakes. It made me so mad, I'm going to lose the weight without that crap. So I am newly motivated also. Weird what motivates one sometimes. All I can say is remember how good it felt to lose each of those pounds before. Oh and remember the bonus confidence that you start carrying, boy does that feel good. YOU can do it.

How do you eat an elephant ?- one bite at a time!
How do you lose weight, one pound at a time.

Diana
workinglikeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #5  

Hi Diana, and thank you! You have already shown me support! Oh yes, I do remember how wonderful it feels to lose the weight! The wedding may seem like a superficial motivation as compared to doing it for health, but it's going to keep me going, and by the time it rolls around, I will be in a set pattern of healthy eating, so I am thankful for its role in my weight loss journey. And yes, since I am starting now, it's very do-able! How wonderful that you only have 10 lbs to goal! Good for you! How exciting! I agree with you on the protein shakes. If protein is the key, you can get that through regular foods during regular meals. I will be around here for a long while now, so if and when you need any support from me, you just let me know! I am very happy to hear from a fellow Ohioan, and I appreciate your encouragement more than you know!