Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #331  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola, All…

6:14 p.m… Long day, and I’m pooped. I’m also not very chatty tonight, probably!

PT/Zoe – your comment about washing the coffee grounds off and eating the goodies reminded me of when I quit smoking. You understand that I quit smoking thousands of times before it "took"… anyway, I remember breaking up the cigarettes, dousing them with water, and throwing them in the trash. In the middle of the night, I was drying those things in a low oven so I could smoke them! Cravings are horrendous!

Marie – you are truly a pet person and understand them so completely. SamCat likes you! But he is such a brat! Oh, I hope your DIL is okay, for your MIL’s sake, if nothing else.

Rie – I still have my bail bonding license. The state has a budget problem, so they figured that they could do the bail bonding thing instead of us and are requiring cash only bonds, which completely cuts bail agents out of the loop; consequently, the bail industry is pretty much DOA in the metro area. The fact that they’re putting 535 small businesses out of business is of no concern, nor is the fact that we pay many, many dollars in taxes, fees, licensing, and forfeitures when the bad guys run amok (none of which will happen with the courts in charge of bail!). I need a new soapbox; this one has been used up. Because I was living on virtually no income but much outlay for the last year, the savings account was becoming pathetic; that’s why I HAD to get a job. And yes, I like my job very much and I really like the people at the office. It’s good.

Mary – have you heard any more about your DH’s tests? I’m thinking good thoughts and sending good prayers upward!

Freda – thank you for asking! Granny continues to improve every day. Oh, she thought she was constipated again (is that something the very old obsess about???). I told her to wait, but, of course, she doesn’t listen and used a suppository last evening. It didn’t work fast enough, so she took an Ex-lax. Needless to say, she was dribbling le poo all day long, every time she sneezed or moved. I don’t understand why she’s never figured out that it’s not necessary to second guess or to question me! If people would just listen to me, then life would be so much easier for everyone concerned!! Geez!

KarenFL – that is such wonderful news!! I’m vicariously proud, too, of your son! That’s great! Are you still going to be affected by Irene? I’m wondering about Zoe and Lynn!

Lyn – be safe, whenever you get out and about!!

KoalaLou - I miss hearing from you here, even though you do appear on FB every once in a while...

Mustang - what about the house???????

To the multitudes I missed, good thoughts! Hope you all have a lovely rest of the evening!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 242/242/121

Height: 5'2

Well I've had an interesting week, I was down to have a breast reduction in the next two weeks, but I've decided to delay it until I lose at least 20kgs. Reasons? Many, but with diabetes, live dysfunction and my lymph nodes not working properly I decided having any surgery was probably risky. Hopefully I will be able to get my weight down and get rid of these gigantic boobs (i cant believe people actually pay to make theirs this big!)
Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #333  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Well, we made it to Boomtown Days and had a good time.. And back at home before 11:30!!! But this "Golden Girl" is pooped--not used to the "Late Night Life" anymore! Diamond Rio was fantastic and I took some pictures.. don't know if they came out very good or not but will post some tomorrow if they did!! Hope everyone is doing fine--- GOOD NIGHT IRENE!!!

Donna, still have the house on the market. There are still a few that are listed for sale that we would be interested in IF ours sells... so will hang in a bit longer... Still think we will be staying right here though. Things just don't seem to be moving like they were when we first listed it.

Chat more tomorrow---
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #334  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Last day of my stretch of days, then off the weekend

I have been fortunate enough to have several days of getting out on time.

It was not quite as hot when I left work last night ~ 89* instead of 103* That was nice.

Go away Irene (not as in further north ~ go out to sea!!!)

Guess I'd better finish getting myself ready for work.

Hope you all have a nice day.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #335  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning, haven't had time to catch up on the post, will do tomorrow.
Welcome Avimen, have to agree with you on why people have breast implants! I'd love to have a breast reduction...would like to be so small that I wouldn't have to wear a bra.
The following is about chickpeas, I forget about how good they are.....especially baked with spices.
Quote:

This to Lunch to Beat Afternoon Munchies
You won't need willpower to fend off afternoon snack attacks if you add this hearty legume to your midday meal: chickpeas.
Whether your lunch includes a sandwich made with creamy hummus or a hearty Greek salad topped with garbanzos -- adding about half a cup of chickpeas to your daily diet can cut cravings for salty, sugary, and fatty snacks, according to research.
Fabulously Filling Fiber
That's exactly what happened in a recent study where adults made chickpeas a part of their normal diet for 4 weeks. They were given a variety of tasty chickpea recipes to use and were instructed to keep a food diary. And the study participants not only reported a nosedive in hunger and overall calorie intake but also ate far fewer bad-for-the-waistline processed snack foods as well. The researchers think the naturally occurring drop in snacking was most likely due to the high-fiber content in chickpeas. (Related: Improve your snacking habits. Stock your kitchen with these 10 healthy 100-calorie snack foods.)
Bathroom Bonus
Feeling a little -- ahem -- bound up? Well, the folks in the study also reported an improvement in their bathroom habits -- more frequent and easier bowel movements. Again, most likely thanks to the fiber in chickpeas. But if you decide to add more chickpeas to your diet, do so gradually to help reduce the chance of any gastrointestinal discomfort from a sudden increase in fiber. Anyway, an easier time in the bathroom is just one more reason to love the humble chickpea. (Related: For a creamy Mediterranean twist on burgers, try this recipe: Chickpea Burgers with Tahini Sauce.)
And here are a bunch of other reasons to love chickpeas:
They can be wrinkle wranglers. Find out how a mineral in chickpeas may help keep skin smooth.
They play cholesterol cop. Discover what chickpea compounds may improve bad cholesterol.
They can help you manage your memory. Here's how hummus can sharpen a dull memory.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #336  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Goldens!

I rested well last night and did an hour of aerobic walk it out this morning. Back is twanging at me but it is tolerable.

I am going to hit Walmart (help me) this afternoon with my mom. I hate shopping and I hate walmart more than anything but it felt uncharitable to tell her no. Anyway, I need to get a few things anyway and I might as well bite the bullet. I have become spoiled because ds does all the shopping. But, since he got this new job, he only does errands on mon and tues. I need some quick cooking things on my plan for the nights that he is not home. Incidentally, they promoted him to manager already because of his background in photography. Good. Unfortunately, he has to work several evenings. So far, that leaves me and the other gmas with the little guy.

Bobbi, I LOVE humus - especially the artichoke humus that I get from sams. I will have to search out other ways to use them.

Karen31, I like Diamond Rio. I am glad that you had a good time.

Donna, now that you mention it, I remember hearing about the bondsman thing. Poor judgement. I'm glad that you are happy with the new job. I can relate so much to your story about quitting smoking. I was a long term smoker. I quit almost 2 years ago with chantix. Most of my friends are still surprised. Funny, when they bring it up, I think, "oh yeah, I used to smoke". Weird.

Marie, I thought about you out with your doggies this morning. I woke early and had my coffee on the back steps and watched the stars twinkle out as the sky lightened.

Gayle, I am so glad that you are having a good work week. You seriously deserve it!

Avimn, I think you are right that losing weight will probably reduce your girls. Lord knows that mine are disappearing with the weight.....

Karen3 I was so happy to read your post about your recovery progress. I am hoping that it just keeps getting better and better. It looks like Irene has passed you by and she is headed nothward. I am watching coverage of the jammed NewJersey turnpike right now.

Freda, has the storm passed you? Hopefully the storm last night was it.

Zoe, Lyn, Lynn, and everyone else in the East - take care and be safe.

Just wondering.... Is this an especially bad storm or is the coverage so intense because it is hitting in an unusually bad place? I'm confused.

Rosey, I have a couple of gluten intollerant friends and they use all kinds of gluten free products. I hope you can get them at your health food store.

Well, sorry for everyone that I missed. I need to get moving here before it gets too hot out. Have a good day.

Rie
Old 08-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #337  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lyn, I have the utmost confidence that you will get back on track after vacation. I hope Irene leaves your plans alone.

Donna, give SamCat a kiss for me and tell him I'm in awe of his abilities to wrap his mommy around his little paw. I am glad that GM is getting better but I do get why she wasn't patient about waiting for the suppository to work. When we're uncomfy, nothing works fast enough. Bet next time she'll use more caution. Maybe. Hopefully.

Avimen, good luck on your journey and maybe some day we can go together to get rid of the big boobs. I'd love a reduction. I, too, have never understood why anyone would want big, uncomfy watermelons hanging from their chest. They hurt the upper back all the time.

KarenMO, glad you had fun at the concert. I'm surprised your late night left a moment to post. You're silly. Next time wait until morning.

Gayle, you and I will enjoy our weekend off. I'm counting the hours. I know my post yesterday said I'd have a cold today but alas, too much work and a conscience that won't quit. So I am working. Of course, not at the moment...

Val, I believe you need a vocabulary lesson... MODERATION - Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme. So applying moderation to you is DON'T do an hour of aerobics when your back is healing. Perhaps an easy 20 minutes. That seems reasonable. 60 minutes is for after it is healed. Ok off my I actually didn't walk the dogs today. Today is DH's turn. Since he's on swings, we alternate days because it is so much more work to walk 4 huskies than 2. One could apply math here and say it is twice as much work but it is about 20 times more work. The difference from 2 to 3 was twice as much. 3 to 4 was ridiculous. It took a year of behavior therapy with Sasha to be able to walk her with the other dogs by myself. She's difficult. So, we alternate so neither of us go nuts. Instead I did the elliptical and had a good time. I was engrossed in reading on the iPad and ellipticalling to high energy tunes, I didn't realize when I was done. I can't say that has happened too often.

And Val and Avimen, nope - losing the weight did not shrink the girls. Same cup size, just the band size changed. I'm quite sure I'd need to be a 70 pounds before my body would delete the fat cells from the girls. So Val, I am envious yours are shrinking. I'm thinking a scalpel will be the only method.

So update on the rant email I sent our new webhost provider. They apparently don't like angry customers and finished the designs for the schools. It's not completely done but I made the site live yesterday. Maintaining two websites with the same info is frustrating so I just did it. Here's a
link to the new site and here's a link to the old site. Keep in mind the new is a canned, limited design type of thing for dummies. The old was authored and designed by me. I just did a redirect on the old's home page to the new page so if you play around and then click home, it will bring you to the new site, not the old one. But alas, that irritant is significantly less in my life. Now just normal back to school stuff. Oh and training everyone how to use the new site. Yuck!
Marie
Old 08-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #338  

Hi everyone. the sun is out no rain. i had coffee on the deck this am and watched the chicadees on the feeder.soooo peaceful. i,m enjoying the me time between shuffling puppies.still cant have them both loose at the same time as sadie thinks gizmo,s a squeaky toy and shes to rough. daisy tolerates both and then hides behind my recliner. gizmo has learned to ask to be held.he whines for my attention and then when hes got it he backs up and launches himself airborn like a furry ball and most of the time i catch him all wiggely and proud of himself. sadie has learned down and sit.shes a handful but so sweet,i use a spray water bottle and a loud no to get her to mind.its working.ive been working on amandas quilt and reading john sandford mystery.imagine the weekend will be more of the same hoping yours is as peaceful (((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 08-27-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #339  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
All this talk on the news, about hurricanes, has got me all nostalgic. Now, y’all are going to think I’m a little strange (oh wait, y’all probably already knew that!), but I’ve always sort of liked hurricanes (KarenFL, don’t smack me!). But, what you’ve got to remember is, all my experience with them was when I was a child, living in FL. The first one I remember anything about was “Donna”, when I was about 4 yrs. old. We were staying at my great-grandparents’ house in central FL, & it wasn’t expected to come that far inland, but it did. There was a lot of damage, & the power was out for several days, but we kids had a ball! Many big old oak trees were knocked down, including one that fell across the street in front of the house - leaving a big gaping hole in the sidewalk for us to play in! And, we got to play in the road!!! (Of course no cars were able to drive down it with the tree there.) A couple of big oaks were also knocked down in the vacant lot behind the house, & the trunks of those remained there for years. In our imaginations (back when kids had to use those!) they became horses & trains & spaceships, etc., etc., etc……, & many happy hours were spent playing on them. I even remember my sister & me tripping up & down them, wearing some of Mom’s discarded high heels, pretending the tree trunks were a beauty pageant runway (how did we keep from breaking our necks?!). When I was a little older, we lived in south FL, a few miles from the coast, & approaching hurricanes could mean schools would be closed for a day or two (our version of a “snow day”, I guess). What kid wouldn’t love that?!! I remember one time, when I was in the fourth grade, school was closed a whole week! I guess that hurricane kept changing direction - they were expecting it all week, & it didn’t get there until Friday night! And, I remember it was such a nice week, all breezy & cool - quite unusual for that time of year in south FL! So, for me, hurricanes inspire fond memories. But, I’m sure it would be different if I were a homeowner living in their path!

While I’m wandering down memory lane, I just had to scrub a broiler pan, & was thinking “thank goodness for Teflon!!!” Don’t you agree?! And, I have no idea what brought this to mind, but I was remembering when TV stations used to go off the air at night, & they’d play the national anthem first. I always HAD to get the TV turned off before it went to static!, & was TERRIFIED that I wouldn’t! I have no idea what I thought would happen, but I sure was scared! Then, years later, I saw the movie “Poltergeist”, & thought “Ah ha! I KNEW something bad would happen!” Guess I wasn’t the only one that had that fear?

On an entirely different subject, yesterday I went to a Salvation Army thrift store that I just discovered about a month ago. It’s a little over 20 miles from here, so I’ve only been there twice before. Both of those times, SO was with me so I couldn’t look as long as I liked. I was determined to get back there on my own, because they have one whole room with about 12 tables of clothes, all sizes, & men’s, women’s & children’s, all jumbled together, and everything in there is just 25˘ each! I spent 2 & ˝ hours in there, & that room’s not air conditioned (though they do have ceiling fans) & it was hot! I ended up getting 36 things for me ($9.00!) & 10 for SO ($2.50!), & I got some really great clothes! I was soooo happy! I just looove getting bargains! Five of my things were “rejects”, & two are a little tight, so I put them away “just in case”, but still 29 wearable items of clothing for $9.00 ain’t bad! All of the clothes are in really good condition, almost new, so I don’t know why they were only 25˘. I don’t know much about brand names, though I do recognize the ones from Kmart & Wal-Mart, & two or three things were from them. But, several things were from Talbot’s & Chadwick’s, & the tag in one blouse (long-sleeved, red with black dots) said “Oscar de la Renta Expressions”. I think that one was a pretty good buy for a quarter! Hopefully I’ll get around to taking some pics of some of my favorite “50˘ outfits” to show you, but here’s one of my “la Renta”. It’s a little big on me (don’t know the size, someone must have cut that label out), but I plan to wear it anyway - maybe with the pair of black “skinny” jeans that I got yesterday.

Ok, trying to write a book here again! And I know this has been all about me, me, me! Sorry! I did read all of your posts, & I am thinking about all of you, you, you! Does that count? Two things I have to comment on. Much as I hate to say anything good about DSD, she is the one that got me to try hummus. And I love it! Good to know it's so healthy (& not too bad calorie-wise). Thanks Bobbi. And about "the girls" shrinking - mine have. I was a "C" cup from the time I was 11 yrs. old, but now I'm a "B"! I think that happened somewhere between 155-145 lbs. That was actually the one part of me I didn't want to shrink! Oh well. I really do have to go now. Have a Great, Great Weekend! And watch out for Irene! (Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene!)
NCNancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg de la Renta Blouse.jpg (29.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #340  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hello....I am proud of you all. Singing worked. Just checked and Irene has been poked in the eye. It's gone. It is still a hugh storm about 400 miles wide and when it comes ashore will push alot of water around. Right now it is East of Charleston SC and we still have cloud bands from her passing by. I try not to get caught up in the weather channel hype.....actually there is another storm forming....Almost Sept.

Went to the BIG Bridge Game today. Have to say am sooooo weary, but guys we came in 2nd. Second.....and it was computer hands composed by a troll under a bridge in Memphis. These hands are being played all over the state at the same time and eventually they will post state wide overalls... Later tonight I hope. I can't begin to tell you what this has done for me....The foggy brain is gone even with the antibiotics. I played one hand like I was brainless and after apolgizing to my partner I played the next one for a top. I whispered to her..."I'm Back." The whole room erupted in applause.

Need a nap .......BBL hugs k3

PS Nancy I said awhile ago we all talk about hurricanes like they are crazy old aunts of our. I remember Donna and before that Hazel.....

Last edited by Karen3; 08-26-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #341  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello!

Karenfl, What a GREAT post! I am so happy for you. You are truly back!

Nancy, I loved your post. It reminds me of a time in my family.

When I was 10, there was a big late spring snow storm in April. The power was out in most of the state because the wet snow froze on the lines and most of the lines had to be restrung. My dad took a tractor into town to get my grandparents and bring them to the farm. We all moved in to my uncle's house down the road which was our original homestead. The entire extended family lived there for 5 days. My cousins and I have fond memories of that time. Our parents remember it differently. The most troublesome part was that our dairy cows, about 120 of them, could not be milked due to the power outage. I remember all of us trying to milk them by hand, and most of the cows would not allow that or release their milk. I was able to get my 4H cow to stand still so grandpa could milk her. We ended up losing a few cows because they got mastitis I sure remember having fun building these amazing snow forts, having grandma make us cocoa, and all the adults playing endless games of pinocle by lantern light. I hope that children all over the east coast get to make good memories this weekend.

Well, I need to go get supper on. TTL

Rie
Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #342  
Want to feel better

Rie and Nancy ~ your memories of the storms remind me of my mom and dad telling about the big snow storm they had in the begining of 1978. The power was out ~ I don't remember for how long. They had a fire place and some of the neighbors didn't have anything like that, so some of the neighbors came over and stayed ~ people were spread out on the floor in sleeping bags. They cooked beans in the fireplace. It sounded like a fun time ~ despite being without power.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #343  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Oh My Goodness-- these storm stories are so neat! Gayle, like you, we were living in Colorado and had a bad snowstorm like that. My parents had a fireplace and we invited the negihbors in and kept a pot of beans on in the fireplace too!! Had a tea kettle setting on the fire and we had cocoa, coffee and what ever we could think of. That was about a 3 day storm for us! We had people sleeping everywhere--- it was a tri-level house so our bedrooms were upstairs but the fireplace downstairs. People just huddled up and slept where ever they could find a spot. I remember it with fond memories and even though times were hard during the storm and adults had to be stressed to the max--- I can't remember ever hearing any arguing...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #344  
Want to feel better

Another thought that struck me ~ how it felt different to be going through a storm once I got to be an adult/parent. I was home visiting my parents in Ohio. The kids were little. It was daytime, but the sky got black ~ was just like night time. Lots of wind. A couple big trees came down (thankfully not on the house). We grew up with stuff like that ~ I don't remember being scared too much as a kid. It wasn't that I was scared now, but this time it was different ~ as a mom now ~ and knowing I was responsible for keeping my kids safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #345  

It was a good day with good news...the MRI came back negative for aneurysm! AND even before we learned that, when we were driving to the gym, my dh told me his vision is much improved! He is seeing clearly most of the time now, but occasionally still has double vision but only briefly...he blinks and it is gone. Yea!! The doctor was quite impressed! So we are praising God and hoping/praying for a complete healing soon.

It was also a good day because I had a chance to talk to my oldest dd who I rarely get to talk to. It was brief but pleasant and I felt hopeful about our relationship. She has always been our "difficult" dd but I love her dearly.

It was also a good day becauseI used my Kindle at the gym and it made the time go so much faster on the bike and treadmill. I am so glad I bought it now. :-)

Rie - I winced when you talked about the cows dying because of mastitis! I breastfed four children but with one I had it. It was awful...not only did I have this one swollen, hot and throbbing breast but I also had flu-like symptoms. And of course, it happened when dh was in PI, I was too sick to drive so had to have a neighbor drive me to the hospital, me throwing up all the way...he was a young guy and I don't think he was very comfortable. My doctor was a 7th Day Adventist and was called out of church to meet me in the ER as it was a Saturday. I continued to breastfeed both this child and another (our youngest dd) but I never had any more problem except I never felt I had as much milk for him after that. But I continued and then got pregnant with our dd and breastfed both of them for a while, until I got too tired so made him stop, so I could just feed one. He was 18 mo anyway.

Nancy - Enjoyed your stories! Wow you are a smart shopper GFY for getting the bargains!! Sorry about the B cup but that's really not bad and you may be glad as you get older. Not as much to sag... When I lost weight before mine didn't change much but then I carry most of my weight on my torso and even with a 33 lb lost I didn't lose that much above..but my legs got very skinny.

Karen3 - I'm glad that storm didn't hit you and I'm glad you're BACK!! Yea!!

Rosey - Poor little Gizmo, the squeek toy! Oh, my!

Rie - Hope your back is better now. Marie is right...moderation in all things. LOL I'm one to talk ...I can only seem to be moderate with food about four days and then I'm back to overeating...gotta get control..gotta get control..sounds so simple...I mean just keep my goal in mind, and just say no, right?

Karen31 - I saw that you posted pics on FB of your fun day! I haven't had a chance yet but will go look at them soon.

Hope you all have a golden evening!

Last edited by maryea; 08-26-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Closed Thread