Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #26

Hey! Welcome to the latest thread! First the disclaimer:

-------------
Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
----------------------

Now, let's continue congratulating CD on her 1 year of maintenance!

(I really should have edited more carefully before I closed the thread... )

Laurie, you are truly an inspiration, and I remember when you reached your goal. I just can hardly believe it's been a year!!! Wow!

Jay
Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Congrats Laurie

Congratulations
Laurie (CountingDown)

for a year of maintenance.

I do like your story of feeling confident in your choice of clothes. Yep, "no food is worth going back."
Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Bill! and Jay!

Everyone here has been such an enormous part of my making goal and maintaining! I really do think my 3FC friends are the BEST!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #4  

Red face

The new glasses have arrived.
As promised, here is the pic
Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Cool! They look great! Thanks for the pic! Now I'm wanting new glasses...

Anyone got any events coming up this week?

Jay
Old 07-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

My up-coming event is a tomato eating marathon. We have the most gorgeous, tasty tomatoes - mostly all ripening at once. I am so grateful that something so good is also good for me!

Also, yesterday the event was getting 20 lbs of peaches. They aren't quite ripe yet.

My motto is that "I didn't get fat eating peaches or tomatoes"
Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #7  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Hi everyone!

Hey congratulations Laurie. I did not know that you lost all your weigh in such a short time and now have had it off for a year. Fabulous
The glasses look great too.

Well I made it to the yoga class on Saturday and to the gym this morning. I was happy to get there this morning as I slept in. But not many like to exercise and I just reminded myself of that. We do it for the benefits.

I look forward to the day when I can just be happy with anything in the closet.

Cheers.....Jude
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #8  

Thanks Jay

Gail - I agree - I love tomatoes. Peaches will be in season pretty soon up here too

Jude - You made my day! I laugh now, taking 53 weeks to lose 85 lbs didn't seem like it was fast. I participated in the BL competitions along the way, and I was always the tortoise. I lost every week, but never very much. It is amazing how a lb here and 2 lbs there add up! Slow and steady now seems like it happened in so very quickly.

And to think that for YEARS I lamented that I might as well not even start a weight loss plan. It would take at least a year and I knew I didn't have the discipline to "diet" for a year.

Karen prayers continuing for you and your family!

Gary - congrats on the chili - may your rememberance of "grandma Judi" be one of special times and special feelings! I'm sure the party was AWESOME!

Bev - so glad that you are able to turn the whole situation with Dennis into a joy! Prayers continue for you and your family!

Well, it was a good day here! The last medical test at 7 this morning (mammogram), then 9 hours of work, and the whole gang (nieces, nephews, SIL and all the kids) was visiting when I got home. I was able to spend several hours with folk I haven't seen for a couple years.

A wonderfully balanced day!

Hope your week started out well too!

Oh, and Jay, not much planned for this week - lots of "family" time and of course the Wine Tasting tomorrow night and a Jazz concert on Thursday.

Pretty typical week here.

Laurie
Old 07-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hi, folks! Gail, good to see you!

We have had peaches here for weeks... we buy them from a truck stand along the main road--they come down from Georgia. Great heavenly days, what you hear about Georgia peaches is true!

I didn't get fat eating peaches, either... back in the old days of weight gain, it was the half & half I insisted the peaches had to swim in... Not any more!

Hey Jude! Hey Bill!

One of my favorite clothes experiences is being able to actually button shirts, instead of having to wear them as "overshirts" with a tank underneath because I outgrew them. It is such a thrill!

Last Sunday I put up the remaining roller blind on our screen porch. I had been thinking it would be a hard job, but I decided that I would make it easy instead. And so I did. Done is good!

We got our concert tickets for the upcoming season. It was hard to decide on the selections, but we have some Mozart, some Gershwin, some Broadway, and the Tampa Bay Steel Orchestra just for fun.

http://www.tampabaysteelorchestra.com/

Jay
Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #10  

Jay - I can't tell you how happy I have been to retire the "overshirt". In fact, I still routinely reach for one - this old habit is dying hard!

I wish we had more arts opportunities here. They do exist, but we have to drive 1-2 hours to get to them. The trials and tribulations of living in a small town!

Oh well - there are other blessings to living here!

Day two of my certification training at work. So far, so good. Putting in 12 hour days (training starts at 10:00 a.m. since my trainer is on the west coast), but I'm hanging in there!

Hope everyone is having a productive and fun-filled week!

Laurie
Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #11  
Day at a Time

Hi guys.

Just a quick hello. Busy at work. Made it to the gym again today. So the week is starting out great. On for tomorrow too.
Sounds like you are all busy people. I have to get a life. Working on my weight loss is a full time job for me right now.

Talk to you all tomorrow.......Jude
Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #12  

Jude - I relate! I couldn't believe how much time I spent exercising, shopping, chopping, cooking, logging, posting!

But - it IS time well spent!

Hang in there!

Laurie
Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hi folks,

Jude, yeah, it seems to take up a lot of time at first--but strategizing helps. I knew I would have to plan for almost daily exercise, so--I did! Made it just one of the things on my list. In other words, not an add-on, not an "if I have time," not something I could blow off if something else came up. I also planned the food part of it so I had the right things around at home and knew what I was getting into at restaurants.

But I also think I'm really lucky in that (a) I didn't ever get into the habit of eating to feel better, and (b) I already have had the experience of giving up alcohol, so I know that I won't literally die if I don't have any particular substance...

We are starting to think about our trip to the SF Bay Area in the fall. We might make a side trip up the coast--somewhere like Mendocino or vicinity. I also have to try to remember what the weather is like then... CD, any thoughts?

Jay
Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #14  
Day at a Time

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! I made it to the gym everyday but today. Had a doctors appt today.
But for the last two days not a thing that wasn't OP entered my mouth. Not one bit of sugar. Wheew that was a huge challenge. I realized that I was waking up in the morning mad at myself for what I had had the day before. Even if it was just a small something. I am trying to give up sugar for now.

Jay it would be like you saying well I only had a sip. So I am proud of myself . I thought it would never happen.

Thanks for all the support. Housecleaning tomorrow so that takes the place of the gym. PLenty of work there.

Cheers......Jude
Old 07-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #15  
Day at a Time

Just popped in this morning to say I am down another 2 pounds.
When I read 225 on the scale I thought wow this has been a long time and 200 is not that far away. Need all the encouragement I can get to get through this pot luck today.

I don't really like food that I do not know where it came from so I will just keep that foremost in my mind.

Heres to a good OP day for everyone and it is FRIDAY!!!
We are having beautiful weather here. Sunny but not too hot.

Cheers....Jude

Last edited by hijude; 07-17-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Closed Thread