Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You go, Jude! rock on, girlfriend!

Took the cat to the vet for his annual checkup and rabies shot. He is fine and healthy. He is also big... He weighs 18 pounds. It's a good thing I lift weights or I'd never be able to carry him (in his carrier)! But the vet says it's not that he's obese--he's mostly just big! Still, I'd like to see him get down a couple of pounds.

Jay
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #17  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jude - Keep that thought! It really does help. It is amazing how much stuff we eat that really doesn't satisfy us!

Jay that is one big cat! We had a 23 lb. cat once - same thing - he was just BIG! He also had "thumbs" which he used - a very strange cat indeed.

Well, the two weeks of training is complete - it was very tiring, but I am done and certified.

Now on to the real work of converting all the schools to the new system.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I hope the weather improves so we can take mom to the Arts Fair in the park tomorrow.

Laurie
Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #18  
Giovanna

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

May I join this group? I'm 53, and would like to lose 40 lbs. I've been on my quest for better health/fitness since July 1st. At one point I was down 5 lbs, but I'm down just 3.5 now. It's very frustrating. I am counting calories and working out for the first time in my life. I do strength training three days a week, cardio (treadmill) three days a week, and rest one day. Although I am not seeing results, I have to admit that I am doing less grunting and groaning when I bend over or have to squat! I guess that's a start!

COUNTING DOWN ` Your story is such an inspiration!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #19  

Late to the game We LOVE new folk around here!

Thank you for your kind words! You CAN do this! Congrats on the exercise - that was the hardest part for me. With that much exercise, you may be retaining water and/or building muscle - both of which will slow down the scale. But, it will eventually reflect your efforts, I promise.

Calorie counting is a GREAT plan! For me, logging those calories and weighing/measuring were important steps in the process. Otherwise, my eye tended to extend my portion size a bit. Also, I had a bad habit of grabbing a nibble of this and a bite of that - all of which can add up to a few hundred calories a day if I'm not careful. And, unfortunately for me, that is the difference between losing and maintaining.

Feel free to post a sample menu or more info on your plan - the calorie counters here may have some advice.

The only other thought I have is that I also had to make sure that I was getting enough protein (and I wasn't at first). Boosting my protein helped me lose more steadily.

Hi to everyone else! Hope you are having a great weekend! We are off to the arts fair, even though the weather is dismal. This is Mom's last weekend here, so I feel like I should do SOMETHING!

Laurie
Old 07-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

A neighbor gave us a year old German Shepherd dog. He is big and looks like the dogs on the crime shows, but he doesn't have a serious bone in his body. He doesn't seem to have any "mean" bones either - the FedEx guy just laughs at the dog . I am hoping having him around will help me to move more.

I have been slacking off lately, but I am back to parking far out and walking around our property again. It is over 110 degrees today, so I am not going outside until dark. It was 85 degrees this morning when I got up at 5am.

I always get caught up in all the stuff about doing 90 minutes of exercise a day and feel like a failure because I don't do it. I'm a sort of "all or nothing" person. LOL. Need to do 9 minutes before 90 minutes!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey gailr42! Glad to see you. That sounds like a nice dog!

Yeah, it's easy to find things to feel like a failure about--like the 90 minutes of exercise. Of course, there's an upside, which is that one gets to give up since one can't be perfect... I think it's great that you get some physical activity, whether it's 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 90 minutes, or 3 hours! I'd be in trouble if I didn't have a gym membership.

Late to the game, I found that I needed a day off after 3 or 4 days, rather than only after 6. I was just wearing myself out when I first started with 6 days a week... Good luck! You will see results!

I'm glad to hear your training is over, CD. (Speaking of Chickies who run themselves ragged... ) How was the arts fair? Did mom get away OK?

Greetings to all the lurkers... you can hide, but we know you're there!

Jay
Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #22  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes, I'm here. Today I will get out the power washer and do the decks. Does that count? When I use it, I always think of you, Jayell.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #23  

Gail, one of the reasons I don't post in maintainers is that I don't feel like I belong with that group of folk. Most of them are avid exercisers, post their daily menus, etc.

I'm more of an "all things in moderation" kinda gal. I prefer to enjoy what I am doing - including exercise. Thus, my approach is pretty laid back compared to most chickies around here - but it definitely works for me.

So - my advice - start with what you can do, find things you LIKE to do, and then go from there.

Jay - the weather was dismal for the arts fair, but we had a good time. Neither of us bought anything. Several items were tempting, but I'm trying to honor my commitment to only buy things for the house that I NEED - otherwise my declutter efforts will have been in vane

Mom is still here until Wed. We will take her out for dinner tomorrow night - to a really nice Bavarian restaurant in town

Ruth - I think of Jay every time I get out the power washer too (which isn't often )

A good day here, church went well this morning (It was my week to be liturgist) and our parish assistant gave the message - she is an awesome speaker, and I just love it when she preaches!

I spent much of the day cooking, I had way too much prepared/processed stuff last week. Between that and entertaining all the relatives and meals out While my weight held steady, I just feel different, and not in a good way.
So today was devoted to making rosemary whole wheat focaccia bread, aquinoa/mushroom/feta dish, and wonderful lentil/chick pea burgers.

The house smells WONDERFUL!

Hope everyone had a GREAT weekend! I LOVE seeing all of the activity here
Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #24  

Hello everyone, thought I'd pop in here today. Countingdown you look so nice, what an inspiration you are! I am still hanging in there, losing a little every now and then. As long as I'm losing I guess it's ok. Just feel like it is taking me a long time but then I'm not restricting myself very much I guess.

Have been getting more involved in our yard..usually leave it mostly to my dh but getting my interested. I planted a bunch of flowers in pots and my dh made a really pretty area in one corner of our yard. We have a bird bath there and he encirculed it with bricks and planted flowers inside. I added a few of my pots here and there on the bricks too. Also put some in the front yard along the driveway and a few other plays front and back. It was fun.

We are trying to do something interesting and fun each week. Yesterday we went to a lilac garden. We have a shrub that has grown quite tall and we were told it was a lilac but the blooms are very slight and are more gray and white. We hoped they could tell us what it was so I took a branch in to show them. She wasn't sure but showed us one that is similiar. Then we went to a large nursery in the same area (this is about 25-30 mi from where we live), and found some that she recommened. Only had the small car but may go back and get one this week. We are going to look around our own area first though. While we were at the nursery, we bought another blueberry plant. We love blueberries and our own seem to taste much better!

I have recently joined a great prayer group at our church...mosly ladies and they are very sweet. I am really enjoying my time with them. Other than that we have just been going to the gym and to appointments. Our doctor was pleased that we had both lost 4 lbs since our last visit and our A1C were good...both the same..but my dh is now on med and I did it with diet. So I'm proud of myself!

We had several very hot days then it dropped down into the 80s but tomorrow it is to start back up again. So guess we finally are having summer and we are enjoying it.

Last edited by maryea; 07-19-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Maryea, the garden spot sounds lovely!

The last few days have been too hot to go outside. Tonight it clouded up and rained a bit. This is still not a really good thing because we don't need humid on top of hot. It was supposed to be 113 today and 110 for the next four days.

At least I am mentally active - counting those calories keeps me sharp! LOL
Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #26  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Hi to everyone. Nice to meet you all...Gail Maryea and Late to the Game. Everyone is working hard!!! But I can not imagine living somewhere that it is that HOT!! Oh my goodness. It was 85 here on Saturday but cools back off at night. I would perish I am sure. We are having a fabulous summer.

I have lost another 3 pounds. This last week has been phenomenal. I have not been this weight in years. Not sure what is going on but I am doing my 30 minutes a day cardio for now and have stopped putting all those extras in my mouth.

Just like you mentiond Laurie. An Jay I have now lost one cat in weight. Funny when you think of it that way.

So I am sticking to no sugar/wheat/flour and for some reason this seems to be my time. The better it gets the better I get at it.
Chat to you all later I am off to the gym......Jude

Last edited by hijude; 07-20-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #27  

Thanks Mary! Your garden sounds wonderful! Working outside is such good exercise too. I just love it when I can get some exercise AND have something to show for it when I am done

gail - don't send that heat my way - I would be an absolute slug if it got that hot!

Jude Way to go!!! Keep it up - you CAN do this! Just remember how good it feels!

Hi to everyone else. Gotta run - it is bedtime. I will try to catch up more later. The last few days with Mom here have been so busy!

Laurie
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #28  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Jude! A real whoosh! I like that--losing one cat in weight! You keep it up--this is terrific!

Hey Laurie, I guess you posted moments before me!

We had rain last night and this morning, and it actually cooled off a few degrees...

Ruthie! I pressure-washed just a couple weeks ago, and it was everything I had hoped. But some unknown neighbor turned me in to the condo president because with the water rationing, no one is supposed to use a pressure washer. EXCEPT of course the pressure washing companies! In other words, I can pay someone to do it, but I can't do it myself. Is this a gimmick or what? Anyway, the condo president came by to tell me about the complaint. I was polite but I don't care one whit. And if they turn me in to the City, I'll pay the fine. The front of the house hadn't been washed in a year and a half, and I'll be doggoned if I'm gonna do it with a brush and a bucket.

maryea, it sounds nice to have a spiritual group to be with. Also, I LOVE lilacs--but they don't grow here.

Gail, do you have A/C? Maybe there are some exercise shows on the TV or on DVDs you could do when it's too hot out.

OK, I'm done for the night!

Jay
Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #29  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Hi everyone, I'm trying to play catch-up after being on vacation for a couple of weeks. I got back a week ago, but last week was crazy-busy, trying to get everything done!

The trip to the mountains was incredible, and I did an insane amount of hiking - 100.6 miles! Plus another 17.5 miles of cool, hilly running. I didn't gain any weight, because of all of the activity. I loved the "play hard until you drop then eat everything you want" diet! It was soooo much fun. I wish I could retire right now and do it every day .... but we have one in college and one in high school and retirement is still a few years away!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #30  

MBN sounds like a GREAT vacation to me! I love hiking! And, I'm with you on the retirement wishes. I can't draw my pension for another 3+ years Otherwise ...

Hope everyone is having a great day! I actually got out of work on time tonight - we are taking Mom out for her last night here to her favorite restaurant, and then to the park to hear a band (bluegrass/gospel) that she enjoys.

She flies out tomorrow. This month sure has flown!

Laurie
Closed Thread